Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rover V8 in a Healey

From: Peter Dzwig via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 22:52:23 +0000

nteresting. The so-called BOLD engine (Buick-Oldsmobile-Leyland-Dodge) 
was a remarkable engine in its day, combining huge flexibility, 
adaptability and low-weight.

I had it in an MGB GT V8 and it was capable of putting out 150+ BHP in 
standard MGB (Leyland) trim. I bought my standard car from MGB racer 
Barry Sidery-Smith (Barry "Sideways" Smith) and I seem to recall that he 
said the 3.5 litre engine was good for a lot more. I have a feeling that 
figures substantially north of 200 BHP being mentioned. Even in standard 
fettle, it made for a pretty exciting (i.e. fun) drive on the right roads.

The engine was used in Range Rover models up to 1989 MY; and could 
generate enough torque to do all those RR-type things you might want to.

Would I put one in a Healey? Well, if I were thinking of doing that sort 
of thing it is something that would probably be on the list. You need to 
be sure which variant of the basic design that you have got though, 
there was quite a bit of variation over time and between manufacturers 
with some versions going up to 5 litres!

https//:www.en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_V8_engine/

lists many of the versions

Peter

-- 

Dr. Peter Dzwig
_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys