Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering box Belleville springs

From: Bob Haskell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 16:05:16 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============8219471827737756477==
 boundary="------------2hOxAkiZe8a13FHkbBHcb0Q0"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------2hOxAkiZe8a13FHkbBHcb0Q0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

AH Spares video of assembling a steering box: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc6QUbgCrZo

I can't tell that there are 2 or 3 pair of washers in their video.  But 
they're not nested together.

Bob Haskell
Austin-Healey 3000 roadster registrar

On 11/27/23 15:14, Michael Salter wrote:
> Over the years I have rebuilt numerous Healey steering boxes. Other 
> than the very early versions all these boxes have 6 Belleville washers 
> (springs) on the rocker shaft which bear onto the case and provide 
> upward pressure on the shaft which is intended, I believe, to prevent 
> rattles from the box.
> I have always installed these as 3 pairs with their open ends facing 
> each other which has always worked satisfactorily for me however, I 
> recently disassembled what I believe to be a BJ8 steering box which 
> had never previously been disassembled and found all the washers 
> (springs) nested together with the "open" end upward.
> I have searched through all my available literature and can find no 
> information as to how these should be installed.
> Does anyone know how these are meant to be and perhaps have supporting 
> documentation?
>
> Michael S
>
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Nethttp://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys  http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
--------------2hOxAkiZe8a13FHkbBHcb0Q0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>AH Spares video of assembling a steering box:
      <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc6QUbgCrZo">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc6QUbgCrZo</a></p>
    <p>I can't tell that there are 2 or 3 pair of washers in their
      video.  But they're not nested together.<br>
    </p>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">Bob Haskell
Austin-Healey 3000 roadster registrar</pre>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 11/27/23 15:14, Michael Salter
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:CAB3i7L+yrwkeTmFSV_86xz37CLmmk0=pCMCuLyDFG=[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">Over the
          years I have rebuilt numerous Healey steering boxes. Other
          than the very early versions all these boxes have 6 Belleville
          washers (springs) on the rocker shaft which bear onto the case
          and provide upward pressure on the shaft which is intended, I
          believe, to prevent rattles from the box.</div>
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">I have
          always installed these as 3 pairs with their open ends facing
          each other which has always worked satisfactorily for me
          however, I recently disassembled what I believe to be a BJ8
          steering box which had never previously been disassembled and
          found all the washers (springs) nested together with the
          "open" end upward. <br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">I have
          searched through all my available literature and can find no
          information as to how these should be installed.</div>
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">Does
          anyone know how these are meant to be and perhaps have
          supporting documentation?</div>
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">Michael S<br>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------2hOxAkiZe8a13FHkbBHcb0Q0--

--===============8219471827737756477==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============8219471827737756477==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 17:16:04 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============6854462518376806739==
 boundary="------------dC4IsWIV4ON8dXT0DRvnpWuy"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------dC4IsWIV4ON8dXT0DRvnpWuy
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Maybe some help ...

https://americanbelleville.com/blog/how-to-stack-belleville-washers/

On 11/27/2023 1:05 PM, Bob Haskell wrote:
> I can't tell that there are 2 or 3 pair of washers in their video.  
> But they're not nested together.
>
> Bob Haskell
>> washers (springs) on the rocker shaft which bear onto the case and 
>> provide upward pressure on the shaft which is intended, I believe, to 
>> prevent rattles from the box.
>> Does anyone know how these are meant to be and perhaps have 
>> supporting documentation?
>>
>> Michael S
>>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

--------------dC4IsWIV4ON8dXT0DRvnpWuy
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    Maybe some help ...<br>
    <br>
    <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://americanbelleville.com/blog/how-to-stack-belleville-washers/">https://americanbelleville.com/blog/how-to-stack-belleville-washers/</a><br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 11/27/2023 1:05 PM, Bob Haskell
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <p>AH Spares video of assembling a steering box: <a
          class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
          href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc6QUbgCrZo"
          moz-do-not-send="true">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc6QUbgCrZo</a></p>
      <p>I can't tell that there are 2 or 3 pair of washers in their
        video.  But they're not nested together.<br>
      </p>
      <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">Bob Haskell
Austin-Healey 3000 roadster registrar</pre>
      <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 11/27/23 15:14, Michael Salter
        wrote:<br>
      </div>
      <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:CAB3i7L+yrwkeTmFSV_86xz37CLmmk0=pCMCuLyDFG=[email-masked]">
        <meta http-equiv="content-type"
          content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
        <div dir="ltr">
          <div class="gmail_default"
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">Over
            the years I have rebuilt numerous Healey steering boxes.
            Other than the very early versions all these boxes have 6
            Belleville washers (springs) on the rocker shaft which bear
            onto the case and provide upward pressure on the shaft which
            is intended, I believe, to prevent rattles from the box.</div>
          <div class="gmail_default"
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">I have
            always installed these as 3 pairs with their open ends
            facing each other which has always worked satisfactorily for
            me however, I recently disassembled what I believe to be a
            BJ8 steering box which had never previously been
            disassembled and found all the washers (springs) nested
            together with the "open" end upward. <br>
          </div>
          <div class="gmail_default"
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">I have
            searched through all my available literature and can find no
            information as to how these should be installed.</div>
          <div class="gmail_default"
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">Does
            anyone know how these are meant to be and perhaps have
            supporting documentation?</div>
          <div class="gmail_default"
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br>
          </div>
          <div class="gmail_default"
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">Michael
            S<br>
          </div>
        </div>
        <br>
        <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
        <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________
        href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
        href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"
        moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a
        class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
        href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys"
        moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated moz-txt-link-freetext"
        href="mailto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
        href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys"
        moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]"
        moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a>

</pre>
      </blockquote>
      <br>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------dC4IsWIV4ON8dXT0DRvnpWuy--

--===============6854462518376806739==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6854462518376806739==--