Subject: [Healeys] Swapping distributors

From: Simon Lachlan via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 11:49:46 +0100

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============7748205720038633532==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0001_01D99F7F.7CAC9B50"
Content-Language: en-gb

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D99F7F.7CAC9B50
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

You may recall that I asked if there was an easy method of swapping
distributors ie doing it at the roadside without being overly troubled =
by
timing issues.

Replies varied.

In the end, I bought another base plate which I put onto my spare Lucas
(points).

I marked the base plate of the 123 and the top of the turret upon which =
it
sat. ie so there was a datum(?) point to which to return. Used a Dremel.

I did the same for the Lucas after getting it timed. I made the marks on =
the
other side ie to the left of the distributor.

I removed the Lucas, located the 123 back on its mark and, hey presto, =
it
works.

=20

One surprise=85in my ignorance, I thought that, if the 123=92s rotor arm =
faced
at, say, 12 o=92clock, then so would the Lucas=92. Both could only align =
one way
with their gears=92 physical connection to the turret upon which they =
sit??
Well, yes, the gears could only align identically but the rotor arms =
were
about 30=B0 out. ie  123=92s at 12 o=92clock and the Lucas=92 at +/- 2 =
o=92clock. Both
are working at 15=B0/idle=85=85.Who=92d have guessed it?=20

=20

One other thing=85..I was going to put my Pertronix back into the Lucas. =
Can=92t
have two electronic ignitions fail in one day, can you? However, it =
seems
that I=92d put points back in because I=92d lost the collar (=93magnetic =
ring=94).
Actually, I forget what I did, but it=92s gone anyhow. Like my memory =
perhaps.
My unit is marked LU-165. I don=92t suppose anyone has a spare one??=20

Simon

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D99F7F.7CAC9B50
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word =
15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>You may recall that I asked if there was an easy =
method of swapping distributors ie doing it at the roadside without =
being overly troubled by timing issues.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Replies varied.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>In =
the end, I bought another base plate which I put onto my spare Lucas =
(points).<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I marked the base plate of =
the 123 and the top of the turret upon which it sat. ie so there was a =
datum(?) point to which to return. Used a Dremel.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I did the same for the Lucas after getting it timed. I =
made the marks on the other side ie to the left of the =
distributor.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I removed the Lucas, =
located the 123 back on its mark and, hey presto, it =
works.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>One surprise&#8230;in my ignorance, I thought that, if =
the 123&#8217;s rotor arm faced at, say, 12 o&#8217;clock, then so would =
the Lucas&#8217;. Both could only align one way with their gears&#8217; =
physical connection to the turret upon which they sit?? Well, yes, the =
gears could only align identically but the rotor arms were about 30=B0 =
out. ie =A0123&#8217;s at 12 o&#8217;clock and the Lucas&#8217; at +/- 2 =
o&#8217;clock. Both are working at 15=B0/idle&#8230;&#8230;.Who&#8217;d =
have guessed it? <o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>One other =
thing&#8230;..I was going to put my Pertronix back into the Lucas. =
Can&#8217;t have two electronic ignitions fail in one day, can you? =
However, it seems that I&#8217;d put points back in because I&#8217;d =
lost the collar (&#8220;magnetic ring&#8221;). Actually, I forget what I =
did, but it&#8217;s gone anyhow. Like my memory perhaps. My unit is =
marked LU-165. I don&#8217;t suppose anyone has a spare one?? =
<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Simon<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D99F7F.7CAC9B50--

--===============7748205720038633532==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============7748205720038633532==--