Subject: [Healeys] spigot bush

From: warthodson--- via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 21:00:21 +0000 (UTC)

--===============4590455223988294597==
	boundary="----=_Part_3527059_87569776.1687640421310"

------=_Part_3527059_87569776.1687640421310
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I recall that it is recommended to soak the spigot bush (bronze bearing in the crankshaft) in oil before installing. What is the correct way to do this & does the grade of the oil matter?Gary Hodson
------=_Part_3527059_87569776.1687640421310
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><head></head><body><div class="yahoo-style-wrap" style="font-family:Comic Sans MS, sans-serif;font-size:16px;"><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">I recall that it is recommended to soak the spigot bush (bronze bearing in the crankshaft) in oil before installing. What is the correct way to do this &amp; does the grade of the oil matter?</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">Gary Hodson</div></div></body></html>
------=_Part_3527059_87569776.1687640421310--

--===============4590455223988294597==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============4590455223988294597==--

---

From: Kees Oudesluijs via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 09:53:50 +0200

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============8691741533110677085==
 boundary="------------4na0sPBNFuGzNFP8qMn0pFfk"
Content-Language: en-GB

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------4na0sPBNFuGzNFP8qMn0pFfk
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Sintered phosphor bronze is porous and should be soaked in oil before 
use. Usually a lightweight oil is used. Place the spigot bearing in a 
small container with oil making sure the spigot is fully covered, heat 
the container "au bain marie" in e.g. a large sauce pan for obvious 
safety reasons to near boiling point of the water and keep it there for 
a while so most air can escape (air will expend during heating up) from 
the porous material. Then let it all cool down to ambient temperature. 
The oil will then have penetrated in the spigot bearing replacing the 
air in de phosphor bronze.
Kees Oudesluijs

Op 24-6-2023 om 23:00 schreef warthodson--- via Healeys:
> I recall that it is recommended to soak the spigot bush (bronze 
> bearing in the crankshaft) in oil before installing. What is the 
> correct way to do this & does the grade of the oil matter?
> Gary Hodson
>
> Support Team.Nethttp://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys  http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

-- 
Dit e-mailbericht is met AVG-antivirussoftware gecontroleerd op virussen.
www.avg.com
--------------4na0sPBNFuGzNFP8qMn0pFfk
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>Sintered phosphor bronze is porous and should be soaked in oil
      before use. Usually a lightweight oil is used. Place the spigot
      bearing in a small container with oil making sure the spigot is
      fully covered, heat the container "au bain marie" in e.g. a large
      sauce pan for obvious safety reasons to near boiling point of the
      water and keep it there for a while so most air can escape (air
      will expend during heating up) from the porous material. Then let
      it all cool down to ambient temperature. The oil will then have
      penetrated in the spigot bearing replacing the air in de phosphor
      bronze.<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">Op 24-6-2023 om 23:00 schreef
      warthodson--- via Healeys:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div class="yahoo-style-wrap" style="font-family:Comic Sans MS,
        sans-serif;font-size:16px;">
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">I recall that it is
          recommended to soak the spigot bush (bronze bearing in the
          crankshaft) in oil before installing. What is the correct way
          to do this &amp; does the grade of the oil matter?</div>
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">Gary Hodson</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  <div id="DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2"><br /><table style="border-top: 1px solid #D3D4DE;"><tr><td style="width: 55px; padding-top: 13px;"><a href="http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient" target="_blank"><img src="https://s-install.avcdn.net/ipm/preview/icons/icon-envelope-tick-green-avg-v1.png" alt="" width="46" height="29" style="width: 46px; height: 29px;"/></a></td><td style="width: 470px; padding-top: 12px; color: #41424e; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">Virusvrij.<a href="http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient" target="_blank" style="color: #4453ea;">www.avg.com</a></td></tr></table><a href="#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width="1" height="1"> </a></div></body>
</html>

--------------4na0sPBNFuGzNFP8qMn0pFfk--

--===============8691741533110677085==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8691741533110677085==--

---

From: Roger Grace <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 08:30:08 -0700

--===============2291248235033971578==

--0000000000008b95ce05fef5e99b
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Another more instantaneous technique !
Nearly 50 years ago, nearly every car I touched had a Lucas generator with
a bronze rear bush - they were always failing - because the owners did not
lubricate them.
When replacing, we always filled the new one with light oil then squeezed
between our thumbs and enjoyed watching the oil oozing out !
Just tried it again with the spigot one - larger thums needed but bronze
oilite is bronze oilite and yes it does ooze out with pressure !
rg

On Sun, Jun 25, 2023 at 1:24=E2=80=AFAM Kees Oudesluijs via Healeys <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Sintered phosphor bronze is porous and should be soaked in oil before use=
.
> Usually a lightweight oil is used. Place the spigot bearing in a small
> container with oil making sure the spigot is fully covered, heat the
> container "au bain marie" in e.g. a large sauce pan for obvious safety
> reasons to near boiling point of the water and keep it there for a while =
so
> most air can escape (air will expend during heating up) from the porous
> material. Then let it all cool down to ambient temperature. The oil will
> then have penetrated in the spigot bearing replacing the air in de phosph=
or
> bronze.
> I recall that it is recommended to soak the spigot bush (bronze bearing i=
n
> the crankshaft) in oil before installing. What is the correct way to do
> this & does the grade of the oil matter?
> Gary Hodson
>
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/arch=
ive/healeys
> [email-masked]://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesl=
[email-masked]
>
>
>
> <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=3Demail&utm_source=3Dlink&=
utm_campaign=3Dsig-email&utm_content=3Demailclient>
> Virusvrij.www.avg.com
> <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=3Demail&utm_source=3Dlink&=
utm_campaign=3Dsig-email&utm_content=3Demailclient>
> <#m_209094544234182658_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

--0000000000008b95ce05fef5e99b
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Another more instantaneous technique !</div><div>Near=
ly 50 years ago, nearly every car I touched had a Lucas generator with a br=
onze rear bush - they were always failing - because the owners did not lubr=
icate them.</div><div>When replacing, we always filled the new one with lig=
ht oil then squeezed between our thumbs and enjoyed watching the oil oozing=
 out !</div><div>Just tried it again with the spigot one - larger thums nee=
ded but bronze oilite is bronze oilite and yes it does ooze out with pressu=
re !</div><div>rg<br></div><div><br></div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quo=
te"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Jun 25, 2023 at 1:24=E2=
=80=AFAM Kees Oudesluijs via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]=
am.net">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D=
"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(2=
04,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
  <div>
    <p>Sintered phosphor bronze is porous and should be soaked in oil
      before use. Usually a lightweight oil is used. Place the spigot
      bearing in a small container with oil making sure the spigot is
      fully covered, heat the container &quot;au bain marie&quot; in e.g. a=
 large
      sauce pan for obvious safety reasons to near boiling point of the
      water and keep it there for a while so most air can escape (air
      will expend during heating up) from the porous material. Then let
      it all cool down to ambient temperature. The oil will then have
      penetrated in the spigot bearing replacing the air in de phosphor
      bronze.<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
    </p>
    <div>Op 24-6-2023 om 23:00 schreef
      warthodson--- via Healeys:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type=3D"cite">
     =20
      <div style=3D"font-family:Comic Sans MS,sans-serif;font-size:16px">
        <div dir=3D"ltr">I recall that it is
          recommended to soak the spigot bush (bronze bearing in the
          crankshaft) in oil before installing. What is the correct way
          to do this &amp; does the grade of the oil matter?</div>
        <div dir=3D"ltr">Gary Hodson</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset></fieldset>
      <pre>_______________________________________________
nk">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>

Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" target=3D"_blank=
">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.ne=
t/archive/healeys" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys<=
/a>

<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]=
eam.net</a>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" target=3D"_blank=
">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

s/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/op=
tions/healeys/[email-masked]</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  <div id=3D"m_209094544234182658DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2"><br>=
<table style=3D"border-top:1px solid rgb(211,212,222)"><tbody><tr><td style=
=3D"width:55px;padding-top:13px"><a href=3D"http://www.avg.com/email-signat=
ure?utm_medium=3Demail&amp;utm_source=3Dlink&amp;utm_campaign=3Dsig-email&a=
mp;utm_content=3Demailclient" target=3D"_blank"><img src=3D"https://s-insta=
ll.avcdn.net/ipm/preview/icons/icon-envelope-tick-green-avg-v1.png" alt=3D"=
" style=3D"width: 46px; height: 29px;" width=3D"46" height=3D"29"></a></td>=
<td style=3D"width:470px;padding-top:12px;color:rgb(65,66,78);font-size:13p=
x;font-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;line-height:18px">Virusvrij.<a hre=
f=3D"http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=3Demail&amp;utm_source=
=3Dlink&amp;utm_campaign=3Dsig-email&amp;utm_content=3Demailclient" style=
=3D"color:rgb(68,83,234)" target=3D"_blank">www.avg.com</a></td></tr></tbod=
y></table><a href=3D"#m_209094544234182658_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9=
FDF2" width=3D"1" height=3D"1"> </a></div></div>

_______________________________________________<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=
ttp://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]=
eam.net</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.tea=
m.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--0000000000008b95ce05fef5e99b--

--===============2291248235033971578==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2291248235033971578==--