Subject: [Healeys] Electrical Question bJ8

From: Tom Felts via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 06:30:56 -0400 (EDT)

--===============5583941102565189192==
	boundary="=_c3644885-b3cc-40a9-a5c8-df2bab47009b"

--=_c3644885-b3cc-40a9-a5c8-df2bab47009b
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Not understanding electrical concerns very well, I'll pose this question. 

BJ8--positive ground-------test lamp hooked to negative of coil (engine running) and then to ground. Light lights but this shuts down the engine. Should it? If not, any idea why it does? 

Thanks tom 

--=_c3644885-b3cc-40a9-a5c8-df2bab47009b
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><body><div style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: #000000"><div>Not understanding electrical concerns very well, I'll pose this question.</div><div><br data-mce-bogus="1"></div><div>BJ8--positive ground-------test lamp hooked to negative of coil (engine running) and then to ground.&nbsp; Light lights but this shuts down the engine.&nbsp; Should it?&nbsp; If not, any idea why it does?</div><div><br data-mce-bogus="1"></div><div>Thanks tom</div></div></body></html>
--=_c3644885-b3cc-40a9-a5c8-df2bab47009b--

--===============5583941102565189192==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============5583941102565189192==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 06:12:26 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4857704704197467857==
 boundary="------------cFDoXMtXmxVdeV1cqdOW7aM3"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------cFDoXMtXmxVdeV1cqdOW7aM3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Tom,

What kind of 'test lamp?' Timing light, spark detector or 'other?' 
Connecting any neg. terminal to pos. gnd. would create a dead short; 
your test lamp must have enough resistance to prevent that (else you'd 
fry the wire and maybe your harness). The neg. coil terminal is your 
primary ignition 'hot' lead; points, if you have them, switch to ground 
(Pertronix would have pos. terminal permanently wired to gnd.).

Bob

On 6/12/2023 3:30 AM, Tom Felts via Healeys wrote:
> BJ8--positive ground-------test lamp hooked to negative of coil 
> (engine running) and then to ground.  Light lights but this shuts down 
> the engine.  Should it?  If not, any idea why it does?
>
> Thanks tom
>

--------------cFDoXMtXmxVdeV1cqdOW7aM3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    Tom,<br>
    <br>
    What kind of 'test lamp?' Timing light, spark detector or 'other?'
    Connecting any neg. terminal to pos. gnd. would create a dead short;
    your test lamp must have enough resistance to prevent that (else
    you'd fry the wire and maybe your harness). The neg. coil terminal
    is your primary ignition 'hot' lead; points, if you have them,
    switch to ground (Pertronix would have pos. terminal permanently
    wired to gnd.). <br>
    <br>
    Bob<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 6/12/2023 3:30 AM, Tom Felts via
      Healeys wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:
        12pt; color: #000000">
        <div>Not understanding electrical concerns very well, I'll pose
          this question.</div>
        <div><br data-mce-bogus="1">
        </div>
        <div>BJ8--positive ground-------test lamp hooked to negative of
          coil (engine running) and then to ground.  Light lights but
          this shuts down the engine.  Should it?  If not, any idea why
          it does?</div>
        <div><br data-mce-bogus="1">
        </div>
        <div>Thanks tom</div>
      </div>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------cFDoXMtXmxVdeV1cqdOW7aM3--

--===============4857704704197467857==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4857704704197467857==--