Subject: [Healeys] HD6s

From: Simon Lachlan via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 11:08:50 +0100

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============5452621263263945945==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0001_01D98266.A34148A0"
Content-Language: en-gb

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D98266.A34148A0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Thank you very much for the replies with regard to my carb query. Once we
established that the so-called "Jet" or "Jet assembly" did have a diaphragm
or membrane we got going alright.

It seems that there's quite a range of opinion..some for changing them, some
not. In general, if one might say that the replies addressed the "practise"
or practical experience, I decided to go for the "theory" by asking Burlen
here in the UK. I've always found them very helpful.

This is what they said, in no particular order of importance.

1.	Their parts went "Ethanol proof" in 2012. This reflects their
worldwide sales rather than their domestic market at the time.
2.	The worst enemy of these diaphragms is being allowed to dry out.
They go brittle and stiff and don't respond well to being required to
function after a dry period. The practise of draining one's carbs before
laying up the car for a period is therefore particularly ill-advised.
3.	My car is used throughout the year - plainly more in the summer -
but shouldn't be subject to drying out. But, having said that, he suggested
that "everything wears out in the end" and that my carbs' diaphragms, having
been in since 2011, were on or approaching the borderline.
4.	Leakage from a failing diaphragm is unlikely to be catastrophic in
the first instance. More likely a seepage to start with but which would get
catastrophically worse if ignored.
5.	I queried whether the springs underneath should be replaced at the
same time as, if there is water around, they'll be in it. Unlikely, he
said..but, since the carbs are on the bench, might as well do it. They're
cheap, so why not? 

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D98266.A34148A0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoListParagraph, li.MsoListParagraph, div.MsoListParagraph
	{mso-style-priority:34;
	margin-top:0cm;
	margin-right:0cm;
	margin-bottom:0cm;
	margin-left:36.0pt;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
/* List Definitions */
@list l0
	{mso-list-id:2035223809;
	mso-list-type:hybrid;
	mso-list-template-ids:-811846746 134807569 134807577 134807579 =
134807567 134807577 134807579 134807567 134807577 134807579;}
@list l0:level1
	{mso-level-text:"%1\)";
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level2
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level3
	{mso-level-number-format:roman-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:right;
	text-indent:-9.0pt;}
@list l0:level4
	{mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level5
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level6
	{mso-level-number-format:roman-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:right;
	text-indent:-9.0pt;}
@list l0:level7
	{mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level8
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level9
	{mso-level-number-format:roman-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:right;
	text-indent:-9.0pt;}
ol
	{margin-bottom:0cm;}
ul
	{margin-bottom:0cm;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Thank you very much for the replies with regard to my =
carb query. Once we established that the so-called &#8220;Jet&#8221; or =
&#8220;Jet assembly&#8221; did have a diaphragm or membrane we got going =
alright.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>It seems that there&#8217;s =
quite a range of opinion&#8230;.some for changing them, some not. In =
general, if one might say that the replies addressed the =
&#8220;practise&#8221; or practical experience, I decided to go for the =
&#8220;theory&#8221; by asking Burlen here in the UK. I&#8217;ve always =
found them very helpful.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>This is what =
they said, in no particular order of importance&#8230;<o:p></o:p></p><ol =
style=3D'margin-top:0cm' start=3D1 type=3D1><li class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'margin-left:0cm;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'>Their parts went =
&#8220;Ethanol proof&#8221; in 2012. This reflects their worldwide sales =
rather than their domestic market at the time.<o:p></o:p></li><li =
class=3DMsoListParagraph style=3D'margin-left:0cm;mso-list:l0 level1 =
lfo1'>The worst enemy of these diaphragms is being allowed to dry out. =
They go brittle and stiff and don&#8217;t respond well to being required =
to function after a dry period. The practise of draining one&#8217;s =
carbs before laying up the car for a period is therefore particularly =
ill-advised.<o:p></o:p></li><li class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'margin-left:0cm;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'>My car is used =
throughout the year &#8211; plainly more in the summer &#8211; but =
shouldn&#8217;t be subject to drying out. But, having said that, he =
suggested that &#8220;everything wears out in the end&#8221; and that my =
carbs&#8217; diaphragms, having been in since 2011, were on or =
approaching the borderline.<o:p></o:p></li><li class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'margin-left:0cm;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'>Leakage from a failing =
diaphragm is unlikely to be catastrophic in the first instance. More =
likely a seepage to start with but which would get catastrophically =
worse if ignored.<o:p></o:p></li><li class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'margin-left:0cm;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'>I queried whether the =
springs underneath should be replaced at the same time as, if there is =
water around, they&#8217;ll be in it. Unlikely, he said&#8230;.but, =
since the carbs are on the bench, might as well do it. They&#8217;re =
cheap, so why not? <o:p></o:p></li></ol></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D98266.A34148A0--

--===============5452621263263945945==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============5452621263263945945==--