Subject: [Healeys] Spark plug gap

From: Simon Lachlan via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 19:22:38 +0100

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============7010013905838006991==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0001_01D97DF4.A0854100"
Content-Language: en-gb

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D97DF4.A0854100
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I run my MkII BT7 on NGK BP6ES which were recommended by some of the wise
ones on this list.

The car has a "Sports" coil and a 123Ignition distributor. DW fast road
cam.etc

Now, talking of "recommended", the rolling road guys told me to set the
plugs at 0.028" and pooh-poohed anything bigger when I suggested that I'd
heard of much greater gaps with my approximate setup.

So, I went with 0.028.

The other day, I decided to experiment and set my spare set at 0.032". Same
NGKs, no mileage on them..decent plugs. Anyhow, it made a very surprising
difference. All round performance is much enhanced.

Despite it's 3:54 diff and 28% OD, it was never sluggish on our local hills.
But now it fairly zooms up them.

To be frank, all a bit of a surprise.

Not boasting.just putting that out there in case anyone else is thinking of
going up a few thou...

When I asked about gaps a few years back, some of the suggestions were near
0.040". Surely that a bit much?

Simon

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D97DF4.A0854100
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I run my MkII BT7 on NGK BP6ES which were recommended =
by some of the wise ones on this list.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The car has a &#8220;Sports&#8221; coil and a =
123Ignition distributor. DW fast road cam&#8230;etc<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Now, talking of &#8220;recommended&#8221;, the rolling =
road guys told me to set the plugs at 0.028&#8221; and pooh-poohed =
anything bigger when I suggested that I&#8217;d heard of much greater =
gaps with my approximate setup.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>So, I =
went with 0.028.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>The other day, I =
decided to experiment and set my spare set at 0.032&#8221;. Same NGKs, =
no mileage on them..decent plugs. Anyhow, it made a very surprising =
difference. All round performance is much enhanced.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Despite it&#8217;s 3:54 diff and 28% OD, it was never =
sluggish on our local hills. But now it fairly zooms up =
them.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>To be frank, all a bit of a =
surprise.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Not boasting&#8230;just =
putting that out there in case anyone else is thinking of going up a few =
thou&#8230;..<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>When I asked about gaps =
a few years back, some of the suggestions were near 0.040&#8221;. Surely =
that a bit much?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Simon<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D97DF4.A0854100--

--===============7010013905838006991==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============7010013905838006991==--