Subject: Re: [Healeys] Leaky Banjo Fittings at Carbs

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 09:12:30 -0700

Are the washers brown or black? I believe the brown ones are the 
original type and the black ones are being proffered by some suppliers 
and may be slightly undersized. I usually, if I think of it, soak them 
in WD-40 for an hour or so before installing, and re-torque them after a 
day or so because they do take a set. I torque them 'elbow-tight*' with 
a 13/16" half-inch socket and wrench (fits the bolt head well). It would 
be difficult, but not impossible to strip the threads on a banjo fitting 
as they're coarse (you'd likely strip the carb or pump threads, not the 
bolt).

* Torque settings : finger-tight, wrist-tight, elbow-tight, 
shoulder-tight and all-you-got tight.

Bob

On 3/13/2023 8:39 AM, Harold Manifold wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having a problem with leaky banjo fittings on my HD6 carburetors. 
> The leaks are at the banjo washers. The washers are new and all 
> surfaces are clean and smooth.
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions on how to solve the leaks. Should 
> the washers be soaked in anything first? Is there a recommended 
> sealant? Is there a maximum torque for the banjo bolts?
>
> Thanks.... Harold
>

_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: "R. Lindsay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 12:35:27 -0400

I’m not sure on HD6 carbs but one side of the banjo may have a relief area to accept a washer. You must have the washer inside this relief. 

Price Lindsay

Cell: 630-841-6300
Email: [email-masked]

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 13, 2023, at 11:55 AM, Harold Manifold <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
> Hello,
> 
> I am having a problem with leaky banjo fittings on my HD6 carburetors. The leaks are at the banjo washers. The washers are new and all surfaces are clean and smooth.
> 
> I would appreciate any suggestions on how to solve the leaks. Should the washers be soaked in anything first? Is there a recommended sealant? Is there a maximum torque for the banjo bolts?
> 
> Thanks.... Harold
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
> 

[email-masked]

---

From: ben via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 16:37:19 +0000 (UTC)

--===============4255800920109032858==
	boundary="----=_Part_3218060_1402310501.1678725439721"

------=_Part_3218060_1402310501.1678725439721
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Bob,
I think that SU fittings are Whitworth size wrench sizes...not 13/16". And =
you can strip out the threads in the cast fuel bowl lids.
Ben CohenBN1, BN7, BJ8

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Mon, Mar 13, 2023 9:12 am
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Leaky Banjo Fittings at Carbs

Are the washers brown or black? I believe the brown ones are the=20
original type and the black ones are being proffered by some suppliers=20
and may be slightly undersized. I usually, if I think of it, soak them=20
in WD-40 for an hour or so before installing, and re-torque them after a=20
day or so because they do take a set. I torque them 'elbow-tight*' with=20
a 13/16" half-inch socket and wrench (fits the bolt head well). It would=20
be difficult, but not impossible to strip the threads on a banjo fitting=20
as they're coarse (you'd likely strip the carb or pump threads, not the=20
bolt).

* Torque settings : finger-tight, wrist-tight, elbow-tight,=20
shoulder-tight and all-you-got tight.

Bob

On 3/13/2023 8:39 AM, Harold Manifold wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having a problem with leaky banjo fittings=C2=A0on my HD6 carburetor=
s.=20
> The leaks are at the banjo washers. The washers are new and all=20
> I would appreciate any suggestions on how to solve the leaks. Should=20
> the washers be soaked in anything first? Is there a recommended=20
> sealant? Is there a maximum torque=C2=A0for the banjo bolts?
>
> Thanks.... Harold
>

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archiv=
e/healeys

[email-masked]

ol.com

------=_Part_3218060_1402310501.1678725439721
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div style=3D"color:black;font: 12pt Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"=
>Bob,
<div><br>
</div>

<div>I think that SU fittings are Whitworth size wrench sizes...not 13/16".=
 And you can strip out the threads in the cast fuel bowl lids.</div>

<div><br>
</div>

<div>Ben Cohen</div>

<div>BN1, BN7, BJ8</div>

<div><br>
<br>
<br>

<div style=3D"font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black"><font=
 size=3D"2">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: Bob Spidell &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
To: [email-masked]<br>
Sent: Mon, Mar 13, 2023 9:12 am<br>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Leaky Banjo Fittings at Carbs<br>
<br>

<div dir=3D"ltr">Are the washers brown or black? I believe the brown ones a=
re the <br clear=3D"none">original type and the black ones are being proffe=
red by some suppliers <br clear=3D"none">and may be slightly undersized. I =
usually, if I think of it, soak them <br clear=3D"none">in WD-40 for an hou=
r or so before installing, and re-torque them after a <br clear=3D"none">da=
y or so because they do take a set. I torque them 'elbow-tight*' with <br c=
lear=3D"none">a 13/16" half-inch socket and wrench (fits the bolt head well=
). It would <br clear=3D"none">be difficult, but not impossible to strip th=
e threads on a banjo fitting <br clear=3D"none">as they're coarse (you'd li=
kely strip the carb or pump threads, not the <br clear=3D"none">bolt).<br c=
lear=3D"none"><br clear=3D"none">* Torque settings : finger-tight, wrist-ti=
ght, elbow-tight, <br clear=3D"none">shoulder-tight and all-you-got tight.<=
br clear=3D"none"><br clear=3D"none">Bob<br clear=3D"none"><br clear=3D"non=
e">
<div class=3D"yqt9764109702" id=3D"yqtfd33055"><br clear=3D"none">On 3/13/2=
023 8:39 AM, Harold Manifold wrote:<br clear=3D"none">&gt; Hello,<br clear=
=3D"none">&gt;<br clear=3D"none">&gt; I am having a problem with leaky banj=
o fittings&nbsp;on my HD6 carburetors. <br clear=3D"none">&gt; The leaks ar=
e at the banjo washers. The washers are new and all <br clear=3D"none">&gt;=
 surfaces are clean and smooth.<br clear=3D"none">&gt;<br clear=3D"none">&g=
t; I would appreciate any suggestions on how to solve the leaks. Should <br=
 clear=3D"none">&gt; the washers be soaked in anything first? Is there a re=
commended <br clear=3D"none">&gt; sealant? Is there a maximum torque&nbsp;f=
or the banjo bolts?<br clear=3D"none">&gt;<br clear=3D"none">&gt; Thanks...=
. Harold<br clear=3D"none">&gt;<br clear=3D"none"><br clear=3D"none">______=
_________________________________________<br clear=3D"none">Support Team.Ne=
t <a shape=3D"rect" href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" target=3D"_bla=
nk">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br clear=3D"none">Suggested annual =
donation&nbsp; $12.75<br clear=3D"none"><br clear=3D"none">Archive: <a shap=
e=3D"rect" href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" target=3D"_blank"=
>http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a shape=3D"rect" href=3D"http:/=
/autox.team.net/archive/healeys" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/ar=
chive/healeys</a><br clear=3D"none"><br clear=3D"none"><a shape=3D"rect" ym=
ailto=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]=
et">[email-masked]</a><br clear=3D"none"><a shape=3D"rect" href=3D"=
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" target=3D"_blank">http://au=
tox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br clear=3D"none"><br clear=3D"no=
ne">Unsubscribe/Manage: <a shape=3D"rect" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mai=
lman/options/healeys/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.n=
et/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br clear=3D"none"><br clear=
=3D"none"></div>
</div>
</font></div>
</div>
</div>

------=_Part_3218060_1402310501.1678725439721--

--===============4255800920109032858==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4255800920109032858==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 09:58:13 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============2881665561607698661==
 boundary="------------ShNB4LSKOUJhsIS0JSUFeoIJ"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------ShNB4LSKOUJhsIS0JSUFeoIJ
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Sure, but 13/16" fits well.

On 3/13/2023 9:37 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Bob,
>
> I think that SU fittings are Whitworth size wrench sizes...not 13/16". 
> And you can strip out the threads in the cast fuel bowl lids.
>
> Ben Cohen
> BN1, BN7, BJ8
>
>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

--------------ShNB4LSKOUJhsIS0JSUFeoIJ
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    Sure, but 13/16" fits well.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 3/13/2023 9:37 AM, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div style="color:black;font: 12pt Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica,
        sans-serif;">Bob,
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>I think that SU fittings are Whitworth size wrench
          sizes...not 13/16". And you can strip out the threads in the
          cast fuel bowl lids.</div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>Ben Cohen</div>
        <div>BN1, BN7, BJ8</div>
        <div><br>
          <br>
          <br>
          <div
            style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black"><font
              size="2">-----Original Message-----<br>
              From: Bob Spidell <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
              To: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
              Sent: Mon, Mar 13, 2023 9:12 am<br>
              Subject: Re: [Healeys] Leaky Banjo Fittings at Carbs<br>
              <br>
              <div dir="ltr">Are the washers brown or black? I believe
                the brown ones are the <br clear="none">
                original type and the black ones are being proffered by
                some suppliers <br clear="none">
                and may be slightly undersized. I usually, if I think of
                it, soak them <br clear="none">
                in WD-40 for an hour or so before installing, and
                re-torque them after a <br clear="none">
                day or so because they do take a set. I torque them
                'elbow-tight*' with <br clear="none">
                a 13/16" half-inch socket and wrench (fits the bolt head
                well). It would <br clear="none">
                be difficult, but not impossible to strip the threads on
                a banjo fitting <br clear="none">
                as they're coarse (you'd likely strip the carb or pump
                threads, not the <br clear="none">
                bolt).<br clear="none">
                <br clear="none">
                * Torque settings : finger-tight, wrist-tight,
                elbow-tight, <br clear="none">
                shoulder-tight and all-you-got tight.<br clear="none">
                <br clear="none">
                Bob<br clear="none">
                <br clear="none">
                <div class="yqt9764109702" id="yqtfd33055"><br
                    clear="none">
                  On 3/13/2023 8:39 AM, Harold Manifold wrote:<br
                    clear="none">
                  &gt; Hello,<br clear="none">
                  &gt;<br clear="none">
                  &gt; I am having a problem with leaky banjo
                  fittings on my HD6 carburetors. <br clear="none">
                  &gt; The leaks are at the banjo washers. The washers
                  are new and all <br clear="none">
                  &gt; surfaces are clean and smooth.<br clear="none">
                  &gt;<br clear="none">
                  &gt; I would appreciate any suggestions on how to
                  solve the leaks. Should <br clear="none">
                  &gt; the washers be soaked in anything first? Is there
                  a recommended <br clear="none">
                  &gt; sealant? Is there a maximum torque for the banjo
                  bolts?<br clear="none">
                  &gt;<br clear="none">
                  &gt; Thanks.... Harold<br clear="none">
                  &gt;<br clear="none">
                  <br clear="none">
                  _______________________________________________<br
                    clear="none">
                  Support Team.Net <a shape="rect"
                    href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
                    target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
                    class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br
                    clear="none">
                  Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br clear="none">
                  <br clear="none">
                  Archive: <a shape="rect"
                    href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"
                    target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
                    class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
                  <a shape="rect"
                    href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys"
                    target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
                    class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br
                    clear="none">
                  <br clear="none">
                  <a shape="rect"
                    ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]"
                    href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                    moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a><br
                    clear="none">
                  <a shape="rect"
                    href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys"
                    target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
                    class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br
                    clear="none">
                  <br clear="none">
                  Unsubscribe/Manage: <a shape="rect"
                    href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]"
                    target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
                    class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br
                    clear="none">
                  <br clear="none">
                </div>
              </div>
            </font></div>
        </div>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------ShNB4LSKOUJhsIS0JSUFeoIJ--

--===============2881665561607698661==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2881665561607698661==--