Subject: Re: [Healeys] Front wheel bearing spacers. New blog post.

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 12:50:32 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============7206232261438436216==
 boundary="------------2mhGwu0VlHjqNPqHASZ3Osy3"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------2mhGwu0VlHjqNPqHASZ3Osy3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Another good post, Michael. A couple things:

- To the best of my recollection--I haven't gotten in there in a 
while--my BN2 has the spacers. I think it was one of the later cars so 
maybe they were added at the end of the run? Nothing else about the car 
makes me think any of the previous owners were particularly diligent or 
careful with the car (though it was in relatively good shape when we 
bought it).

- If you don't have facilities for using a penetrant dye--what us 
Yankees call 'magnaflux'--the 'ring test' can sometimes suffice. Suspend 
the stub axle, preferably with wire, and give it a sharp rap with a 
hammer, wrench, etc. The axle should ring, like a tuning fork, but if 
you get a dull thud you likely have a crack in the axle. My dad took our 
stub axles up to BCS to have new bushings installed and reamed, and Dad 
said Norman Nock was impressed by Dad's knowledge of the ring test (Dad 
was an Old School mechanic himself).

- I always assumed if a part wasn't absolutely necessary the BMC bean 
counters would have it removed; maybe they realized keeping the spacer, 
for the BN4s and later cars was cheaper than replacing broken stub axles?

Bob

On 1/18/2023 8:00 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
> https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearing-spacers/
>
> _______________________________________________
>

--------------2mhGwu0VlHjqNPqHASZ3Osy3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    Another good post, Michael. A couple things:<br>
    <br>
    - To the best of my recollection--I haven't gotten in there in a
    while--my BN2 has the spacers. I think it was one of the later cars
    so maybe they were added at the end of the run? Nothing else about
    the car makes me think any of the previous owners were particularly
    diligent or careful with the car (though it was in relatively good
    shape when we bought it).<br>
    <br>
    - If you don't have facilities for using a penetrant dye--what us
    Yankees call 'magnaflux'--the 'ring test' can sometimes suffice.
    Suspend the stub axle, preferably with wire, and give it a sharp rap
    with a hammer, wrench, etc. The axle should ring, like a tuning
    fork, but if you get a dull thud you likely have a crack in the
    axle. My dad took our stub axles up to BCS to have new bushings
    installed and reamed, and Dad said Norman Nock was impressed by
    Dad's knowledge of the ring test (Dad was an Old School mechanic
    himself).<br>
    <br>
    - I always assumed if a part wasn't absolutely necessary the BMC
    bean counters would have it removed; maybe they realized keeping the
    spacer, for the BN4s and later cars was cheaper than replacing
    broken stub axles?<br>
    <br>
    Bob<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 1/18/2023 8:00 AM, Michael Salter
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:CAB3i7LJ9oaWOE3MsvEV=m1e==6UMY3V=[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small"><a
href="https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearing-spacers/"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearing-spacers/</a></div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------2mhGwu0VlHjqNPqHASZ3Osy3--

--===============7206232261438436216==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============7206232261438436216==--

---

From: "m.g.sharp--- via Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 10:17:15 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============4579078664167541895==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_017F_01D92BEF.3477B9E0"
Content-Language: en-ca

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_017F_01D92BEF.3477B9E0
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Mike et al., I have no idea how common a practice using the spacer/shim =
set-up was on British cars, but I do know that my M.G. TC has the same =
set up, and I think all the T-series M.G.s, and later models were the =
same. I definitely agree with your argument about the spacer increasing =
the strength of the stub axle. I have also wondered whether, in addition =
to in effect increasing the base diameter of the axle, whether putting =
the stub axle in tension from tightening the nut (without loading the =
bearings!) also increases its strength. I don=E2=80=99t know that, just =
wondered. Back to the TC. Years ago a maintenance book was published for =
the T-series M.G.s that recommended upgrading the front bearings by =
replacing the standard ball-bearing to tapered roller bearings. The book =
said that the spacer and shims could then be omitted, per common =
practice with American cars. What followed over the years was a rash of =
M.G. front stub axle failures! One enterprising enthusiast profited from =
this by making up and selling replacement stub axles. That demand has =
now dropped off as we know the spacers and shims MUST be installed as =
eloquently described in the Healey (and M.G.) manuals.

=20

From: Healeys <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Michael =
Salter
Sent: January 18, 2023 11:01 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Front wheel bearing spacers. New blog post.

=20

https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearing-spacers/=

------=_NextPart_000_017F_01D92BEF.3477B9E0
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Roboto;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.5pt;font-family:Roboto;color:#262626;background:whi=
tesmoke'>Mike et al., I have no idea how common a practice using the =
spacer/shim set-up was on British cars, but I do know that my M.G. TC =
has the same set up, and I think all the T-series M.G.s, and later =
models were the same. I definitely agree with your argument about the =
spacer increasing the strength of the stub axle. I have also wondered =
whether, in addition to in effect increasing the base diameter of the =
axle, whether putting the stub axle in tension from tightening the nut =
(without loading the bearings!) also increases its strength. I =
don=E2=80=99t know that, just wondered. Back to the TC. Years ago a =
maintenance book was published for the T-series M.G.s that recommended =
upgrading the front bearings by replacing the standard ball-bearing to =
tapered roller bearings. The book said that the spacer and shims could =
then be omitted, per common practice with American cars. What followed =
over the years was a rash of M.G. front stub axle failures! One =
enterprising enthusiast profited from this by making up and selling =
replacement stub axles. That demand has now dropped off as we know the =
spacers and shims MUST be installed as eloquently described in the =
Healey (and M.G.) manuals.</span><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm =
0cm 0cm'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
lang=3DEN-US>From:</span></b><span lang=3DEN-US> Healeys =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt; <b>On Behalf Of </b>Michael =
Salter<br><b>Sent:</b> January 18, 2023 11:01 AM<br><b>To:</b> =
[email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> [Healeys] Front wheel bearing =
spacers. New blog post.<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><a =
href=3D"https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearing-=
spacers/">https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearin=
g-spacers/</a><o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_017F_01D92BEF.3477B9E0--

--===============4579078664167541895==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4579078664167541895==--

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 10:43:18 -0500

--===============3598881225310212031==

--0000000000005e130b05f29fcb4b

Hi thanks for your comment. If possible I would really appreciate it if you
would add it to the comments  on my blog post.
https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearing-spacers/
Interestingly my understanding of "Magnaflux" testing is entirely
different. The "magnaflux" system we used in the aircraft industry
subjected the ferrous part to a magnetic field and immersed it into a bath
of spray containing iron particles. The particles would gather at the edges
of any cracks.
I was involved with a comparison test of "Magnaflux" vs penetrant dye
testing on Rolls Royce Dart engine parts and the general conclusion was
that the results achieved using "Magnaflux"were very much more dependent on
operator skill than penetrant dye although the penetrant system took a lot
longer.

M

On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 3:55 PM Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> - To the best of my recollection--I haven't gotten in there in a while--my
> BN2 has the spacers. I think it was one of the later cars so maybe they
> were added at the end of the run? Nothing else about the car makes me think
> any of the previous owners were particularly diligent or careful with the
> car (though it was in relatively good shape when we bought it).
>
> - If you don't have facilities for using a penetrant dye--what us Yankees
> call 'magnaflux'--the 'ring test' can sometimes suffice. Suspend the stub
> axle, preferably with wire, and give it a sharp rap with a hammer, wrench,
> etc. The axle should ring, like a tuning fork, but if you get a dull thud
> you likely have a crack in the axle. My dad took our stub axles up to BCS
> to have new bushings installed and reamed, and Dad said Norman Nock was
> impressed by Dad's knowledge of the ring test (Dad was an Old School
> mechanic himself).
>
> counters would have it removed; maybe they realized keeping the spacer, for
> the BN4s and later cars was cheaper than replacing broken stub axles?
>
> Bob
>
>
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

--0000000000005e130b05f29fcb4b
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:arial,sa=
ns-serif;font-size:small">Hi thanks for your comment. If possible I would r=
eally appreciate it if you would add it to the comments=C2=A0 on my blog po=
st.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif=
;font-size:small"><a href=3D"https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-f=
ront-wheel-bearing-spacers/">https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-f=
ront-wheel-bearing-spacers/</a></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"=
font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">Interestingly my understandin=
g of &quot;Magnaflux&quot; testing is entirely different. The &quot;magnafl=
ux&quot; system we used in the aircraft industry subjected the ferrous part=
 to a magnetic field and immersed it into a bath of spray containing iron p=
articles. The particles would gather at the edges of any cracks. <br></div>=
<div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-siz=
e:small">I was involved with a comparison test of &quot;Magnaflux&quot; vs =
penetrant dye testing on Rolls Royce Dart engine parts and the general conc=
lusion was that the results achieved using &quot;Magnaflux&quot;were very m=
uch more dependent on operator skill than penetrant dye although the penetr=
ant system took a lot longer.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"fo=
nt-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_d=
efault" style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">M<br></div><=
div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size=
:small"><br></div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" cla=
ss=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 3:55 PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></d=
iv><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;bord=
er-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
  <div>
    Another good post, Michael. A couple things:<br>
    <br>
    - To the best of my recollection--I haven&#39;t gotten in there in a
    while--my BN2 has the spacers. I think it was one of the later cars
    so maybe they were added at the end of the run? Nothing else about
    the car makes me think any of the previous owners were particularly
    diligent or careful with the car (though it was in relatively good
    shape when we bought it).<br>
    <br>
    - If you don&#39;t have facilities for using a penetrant dye--what us
    Yankees call &#39;magnaflux&#39;--the &#39;ring test&#39; can sometimes=
 suffice.
    Suspend the stub axle, preferably with wire, and give it a sharp rap
    with a hammer, wrench, etc. The axle should ring, like a tuning
    fork, but if you get a dull thud you likely have a crack in the
    axle. My dad took our stub axles up to BCS to have new bushings
    installed and reamed, and Dad said Norman Nock was impressed by
    Dad&#39;s knowledge of the ring test (Dad was an Old School mechanic
    himself).<br>
    <br>
    - I always assumed if a part wasn&#39;t absolutely necessary the BMC
    bean counters would have it removed; maybe they realized keeping the
    spacer, for the BN4s and later cars was cheaper than replacing
    broken stub axles?<br>
    <br>
    Bob<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div>On 1/18/2023 8:00 AM, Michael Salter
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type=3D"cite">
     =20
      <div dir=3D"ltr">
        <div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;=
font-size:small"><a href=3D"https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-fr=
ont-wheel-bearing-spacers/" target=3D"_blank">https://precisionsportscar.co=
m/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearing-spacers/</a></div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset></fieldset>
      <pre>_______________________________________________

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </div>

_______________________________________________<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=
ttp://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]=
eam.net</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://auto=
x.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--0000000000005e130b05f29fcb4b--

--===============3598881225310212031==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3598881225310212031==--

---

From: "m.g.sharp--- via Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 11:05:11 -0500

--===============0164784114385952199==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_01A9_01D92BF5.E7679F10"
Content-Language: en-ca

------=_NextPart_000_01A9_01D92BF5.E7679F10
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I just did my TC front bearings, converting them from ball-bearing races =
to taper roller bearings, and as I did not want to remove the stub axles =
to send them out for magnafluxing, I used a penetrant dye test.  The kit =
can be bought from an industrial supplier and involves three separate =
aerosols: a cleaner, a penetrant and a developer.  It was quite =
straightforward and I am told reliable, but I would rather have =
magnafluxed them as Michael describes.  I did not find any cracks, so of =
course I am now worried about the efficacy of the test rather than being =
pleased with the result!  On the up side, I have found nothing but high =
quality work done by the restorer of my TC 25 years ago and the bearings =
appeared to have been set up correctly.

=20

Cheers, MIrek

=20

From: Healeys <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Michael =
Salter
Sent: January 19, 2023 10:43 AM
To: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Front wheel bearing spacers. New blog post.

=20

Hi thanks for your comment. If possible I would really appreciate it if =
you would add it to the comments  on my blog post.

Interestingly my understanding of "Magnaflux" testing is entirely =
different. The "magnaflux" system we used in the aircraft industry =
subjected the ferrous part to a magnetic field and immersed it into a =
bath of spray containing iron particles. The particles would gather at =
the edges of any cracks.=20

I was involved with a comparison test of "Magnaflux" vs penetrant dye =
testing on Rolls Royce Dart engine parts and the general conclusion was =
that the results achieved using "Magnaflux"were very much more dependent =
on operator skill than penetrant dye although the penetrant system took =
a lot longer.

=20

M

=20

=20

On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 3:55 PM Bob Spidell <[email-masked] =

- To the best of my recollection--I haven't gotten in there in a =
while--my BN2 has the spacers. I think it was one of the later cars so =
maybe they were added at the end of the run? Nothing else about the car =
makes me think any of the previous owners were particularly diligent or =
careful with the car (though it was in relatively good shape when we =
bought it).

- If you don't have facilities for using a penetrant dye--what us =
Yankees call 'magnaflux'--the 'ring test' can sometimes suffice. Suspend =
the stub axle, preferably with wire, and give it a sharp rap with a =
hammer, wrench, etc. The axle should ring, like a tuning fork, but if =
you get a dull thud you likely have a crack in the axle. My dad took our =
stub axles up to BCS to have new bushings installed and reamed, and Dad =
said Norman Nock was impressed by Dad's knowledge of the ring test (Dad =
was an Old School mechanic himself).

- I always assumed if a part wasn't absolutely necessary the BMC bean =
counters would have it removed; maybe they realized keeping the spacer, =
for the BN4s and later cars was cheaper than replacing broken stub =
axles?

Bob

=20

=20

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys =
http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

------=_NextPart_000_01A9_01D92BF5.E7679F10
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Consolas;
	panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
pre
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Courier New";}
span.HTMLPreformattedChar
	{mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
	font-family:Consolas;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-CA;}
span.EmailStyle20
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>I just did my TC front bearings, =
converting them from ball-bearing races to taper roller bearings, and as =
I did not want to remove the stub axles to send them out for =
magnafluxing, I used a penetrant dye test.=C2=A0 The kit can be bought =
from an industrial supplier and involves three separate aerosols: a =
cleaner, a penetrant and a developer.=C2=A0 It was quite straightforward =
and I am told reliable, but I would rather have magnafluxed them as =
Michael describes.=C2=A0 I did not find any cracks, so of course I am =
now worried about the efficacy of the test rather than being pleased =
with the result!=C2=A0 On the up side, I have found nothing but high =
quality work done by the restorer of my TC 25 years ago and the bearings =
appeared to have been set up correctly.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>Cheers, =
MIrek<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm =
0cm 0cm'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
lang=3DEN-US>From:</span></b><span lang=3DEN-US> Healeys =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt; <b>On Behalf Of </b>Michael =
Salter<br><b>Sent:</b> January 19, 2023 10:43 AM<br><b>To:</b> Bob =
Spidell &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>Cc:</b> =
[email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] Front wheel =
bearing spacers. New blog post.<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Hi thanks for =
your comment. If possible I would really appreciate it if you would add =
it to the comments&nbsp; on my blog =
post.<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><a =
href=3D"https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearing-=
spacers/">https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearin=
g-spacers/</a><o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Interestingly =
my understanding of &quot;Magnaflux&quot; testing is entirely different. =
The &quot;magnaflux&quot; system we used in the aircraft industry =
subjected the ferrous part to a magnetic field and immersed it into a =
bath of spray containing iron particles. The particles would gather at =
the edges of any cracks. <o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>I was involved =
with a comparison test of &quot;Magnaflux&quot; vs penetrant dye testing =
on Rolls Royce Dart engine parts and the general conclusion was that the =
results achieved using &quot;Magnaflux&quot;were very much more =
dependent on operator skill than penetrant dye although the penetrant =
system took a lot longer.<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>M<o:p></o:p></s=
pan></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>On =
Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 3:55 PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p></div><blockquote =
style=3D'border:none;border-left:solid #CCCCCC 1.0pt;padding:0cm 0cm 0cm =
6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0cm'><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>Another good post, Michael. A couple =
things:<br><br>- To the best of my recollection--I haven't gotten in =
there in a while--my BN2 has the spacers. I think it was one of the =
later cars so maybe they were added at the end of the run? Nothing else =
about the car makes me think any of the previous owners were =
particularly diligent or careful with the car (though it was in =
relatively good shape when we bought it).<br><br>- If you don't have =
facilities for using a penetrant dye--what us Yankees call =
'magnaflux'--the 'ring test' can sometimes suffice. Suspend the stub =
axle, preferably with wire, and give it a sharp rap with a hammer, =
wrench, etc. The axle should ring, like a tuning fork, but if you get a =
dull thud you likely have a crack in the axle. My dad took our stub =
axles up to BCS to have new bushings installed and reamed, and Dad said =
Norman Nock was impressed by Dad's knowledge of the ring test (Dad was =
an Old School mechanic himself).<br><br>- I always assumed if a part =
wasn't absolutely necessary the BMC bean counters would have it removed; =
maybe they realized keeping the spacer, for the BN4s and later cars was =
cheaper than replacing broken stub =
axles?<br><br>Bob<br><br><o:p></o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>On =
1/18/2023 8:00 AM, Michael Salter wrote:<o:p></o:p></p></div><blockquote =
style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><a =
href=3D"https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearing-=
spacers/" =
target=3D"_blank">https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-whee=
l-bearing-spacers/</a><o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><pre>_____________________________=
__________________<o:p></o:p></pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></pre></blockquo=
te><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>__________________________________________=
_____<br>Support Team.Net <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Suggested =
annual donation&nbsp; $12.75<br><br>Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" =
target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br><br><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a><br><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" =
target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br><=
br>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail=
.com" =
target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsa=
[email-masked]</a><o:p></o:p></p></blockquote></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_01A9_01D92BF5.E7679F10--

--===============0164784114385952199==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0164784114385952199==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 09:28:27 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4773426138546501502==
 boundary="------------xvnzAcRp0hLzyNBDYoPpLwth"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------xvnzAcRp0hLzyNBDYoPpLwth
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I thought there might be a difference, but I learn when I say something 
misinformed and get corrected (happens a lot; hence my initials ;). 
Presumably, the dye penetrant method doesn't involve electric fields?

bs

On 1/19/2023 7:43 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
> Hi thanks for your comment. If possible I would really appreciate it 
> if you would add it to the comments  on my blog post.
> subjected the ferrous part to a magnetic field and immersed it into a 
> bath of spray containing iron particles. The particles would gather at 
> the edges of any cracks.
> testing on Rolls Royce Dart engine parts and the general conclusion 
> was that the results achieved using "Magnaflux"were very much more 
> dependent on operator skill than penetrant dye although the penetrant 
> system took a lot longer.
>
> M
>
>
>     while--my BN2 has the spacers. I think it was one of the later
>     cars so maybe they were added at the end of the run? Nothing else
>     about the car makes me think any of the previous owners were
>     particularly diligent or careful with the car (though it was in
>     relatively good shape when we bought it).
>
>     Suspend the stub axle, preferably with wire, and give it a sharp
>     rap with a hammer, wrench, etc. The axle should ring, like a
>     tuning fork, but if you get a dull thud you likely have a crack in
>     the axle. My dad took our stub axles up to BCS to have new
>     bushings installed and reamed, and Dad said Norman Nock was
>     impressed by Dad's knowledge of the ring test (Dad was an Old
>     School mechanic himself).
>
>     bean counters would have it removed; maybe they realized keeping
>     the spacer, for the BN4s and later cars was cheaper than replacing
>     broken stub axles?
>
>     Bob
>
>

--------------xvnzAcRp0hLzyNBDYoPpLwth
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    I thought there might be a difference, but I learn when I say
    something misinformed and get corrected (happens a lot; hence my
    initials ;). Presumably, the dye penetrant method doesn't involve
    electric fields?<br>
    <br>
    bs<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 1/19/2023 7:43 AM, Michael Salter
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">Hi thanks
          for your comment. If possible I would really appreciate it if
          you would add it to the comments  on my blog post.</div>
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small"><a
href="https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearing-spacers/"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearing-spacers/</a></div>
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">Interestingly
          my understanding of "Magnaflux" testing is entirely different.
          The "magnaflux" system we used in the aircraft industry
          subjected the ferrous part to a magnetic field and immersed it
          into a bath of spray containing iron particles. The particles
          would gather at the edges of any cracks. <br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">I was
          involved with a comparison test of "Magnaflux" vs penetrant
          dye testing on Rolls Royce Dart engine parts and the general
          conclusion was that the results achieved using "Magnaflux"were
          very much more dependent on operator skill than penetrant dye
          although the penetrant system took a lot longer.</div>
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">M<br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default"
          style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <div class="gmail_quote">
        <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 3:55
          PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
        </div>
        <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
          <div> Another good post, Michael. A couple things:<br>
            <br>
            - To the best of my recollection--I haven't gotten in there
            in a while--my BN2 has the spacers. I think it was one of
            the later cars so maybe they were added at the end of the
            run? Nothing else about the car makes me think any of the
            previous owners were particularly diligent or careful with
            the car (though it was in relatively good shape when we
            bought it).<br>
            <br>
            - If you don't have facilities for using a penetrant
            dye--what us Yankees call 'magnaflux'--the 'ring test' can
            sometimes suffice. Suspend the stub axle, preferably with
            wire, and give it a sharp rap with a hammer, wrench, etc.
            The axle should ring, like a tuning fork, but if you get a
            dull thud you likely have a crack in the axle. My dad took
            our stub axles up to BCS to have new bushings installed and
            reamed, and Dad said Norman Nock was impressed by Dad's
            knowledge of the ring test (Dad was an Old School mechanic
            himself).<br>
            <br>
            - I always assumed if a part wasn't absolutely necessary the
            BMC bean counters would have it removed; maybe they realized
            keeping the spacer, for the BN4s and later cars was cheaper
            than replacing broken stub axles?<br>
            <br>
            Bob<br>
            <br>
            <br>
            <div>On 1/18/2023 8:00 AM, Michael Salter wrote:<br>
            </div>
            <blockquote type="cite">
              <div dir="ltr">
                <div class="gmail_default"
                  style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small"><a
href="https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearing-spacers/"
                    target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
                    class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearing-spacers/</a></div>
              </div>
              <br>
              <fieldset></fieldset>
              <pre>_______________________________________________

</pre>
            </blockquote>
            <br>
          </div>
          _______________________________________________<br>
          Support Team.Net <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
          Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
          <br>
          Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
          <a href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
          <br>
          <a href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a><br>
          <a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
          <br>
          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
          <br>
        </blockquote>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------xvnzAcRp0hLzyNBDYoPpLwth--

--===============4773426138546501502==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4773426138546501502==--

---

From: Michael MacLean <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 14:32:43 -0800

--===============1133675927628829049==

--0000000000007a06dd05f2a58365
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I recently installed new hubs and bearing kits for my BN2 build.  Two
things.  There were spacers (original to the car as far as i can tell) and
the lateral clearance was supposed to be "0" without tightening enought to
cause any drag.  A lot of experimenting with shims.  So what's the
difference with my MGB GT that requires a few thousands of lateral movement=
?
Mike MacLean
On Thu, Jan 19, 2023, 7:20 AM m.g.sharp--- via Healeys <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Mike et al., I have no idea how common a practice using the spacer/shim
> set-up was on British cars, but I do know that my M.G. TC has the same se=
t
> up, and I think all the T-series M.G.s, and later models were the same. I
> definitely agree with your argument about the spacer increasing the
> strength of the stub axle. I have also wondered whether, in addition to i=
n
> effect increasing the base diameter of the axle, whether putting the stub
> axle in tension from tightening the nut (without loading the bearings!)
> also increases its strength. I don=E2=80=99t know that, just wondered. Ba=
ck to the
> TC. Years ago a maintenance book was published for the T-series M.G.s tha=
t
> recommended upgrading the front bearings by replacing the standard
> ball-bearing to tapered roller bearings. The book said that the spacer an=
d
> shims could then be omitted, per common practice with American cars. What
> followed over the years was a rash of M.G. front stub axle failures! One
> enterprising enthusiast profited from this by making up and selling
> replacement stub axles. That demand has now dropped off as we know the
> spacers and shims MUST be installed as eloquently described in the Healey
> (and M.G.) manuals.
>
>
>
> *From:* Healeys <[email-masked]> *On Behalf Of *Michael
> Salter
> *Sent:* January 18, 2023 11:01 AM
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Subject:* [Healeys] Front wheel bearing spacers. New blog post.
>
>
>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

--0000000000007a06dd05f2a58365
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto"><div dir=3D"auto"></div>I recently installed new hubs and=
 bearing kits for my BN2 build.=C2=A0 Two things.=C2=A0 There were spacers =
(original to the car as far as i can tell) and the lateral clearance was su=
pposed to be &quot;0&quot; without tightening enought to cause any drag.=C2=
=A0 A lot of experimenting with shims.=C2=A0 So what&#39;s the difference w=
ith my MGB GT that requires a few thousands of lateral movement?<div dir=3D=
"auto">Mike MacLean<br><div class=3D"gmail_quote" dir=3D"auto"><div dir=3D"=
ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Jan 19, 2023, 7:20 AM m.g.sharp--- via He=
aleys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=
=3D"noreferrer">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote =
class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid=
;padding-left:1ex"><div lang=3D"EN-CA" link=3D"blue" vlink=3D"purple" style=
=3D"word-wrap:break-word"><div><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-s=
ize:11.5pt;font-family:Roboto;color:#262626;background:whitesmoke">Mike et =
al., I have no idea how common a practice using the spacer/shim set-up was =
on British cars, but I do know that my M.G. TC has the same set up, and I t=
hink all the T-series M.G.s, and later models were the same. I definitely a=
gree with your argument about the spacer increasing the strength of the stu=
b axle. I have also wondered whether, in addition to in effect increasing t=
he base diameter of the axle, whether putting the stub axle in tension from=
 tightening the nut (without loading the bearings!) also increases its stre=
ngth. I don=E2=80=99t know that, just wondered. Back to the TC. Years ago a=
 maintenance book was published for the T-series M.G.s that recommended upg=
rading the front bearings by replacing the standard ball-bearing to tapered=
 roller bearings. The book said that the spacer and shims could then be omi=
tted, per common practice with American cars. What followed over the years =
was a rash of M.G. front stub axle failures! One enterprising enthusiast pr=
ofited from this by making up and selling replacement stub axles. That dema=
nd has now dropped off as we know the spacers and shims MUST be installed a=
s eloquently described in the Healey (and M.G.) manuals.</span><span><u></u=
><u></u></span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span><u></u>=C2=A0<u></u></span>=
</p><div style=3D"border:none;border-top:solid #e1e1e1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt =
0cm 0cm 0cm"><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><b><span lang=3D"EN-US">From:</span></b=
><span lang=3D"EN-US"> Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.=
team.net" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">healeys-bounces@a=
utox.team.net</a>&gt; <b>On Behalf Of </b>Michael Salter<br><b>Sent:</b> Ja=
nuary 18, 2023 11:01 AM<br><b>To:</b> <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked].=
net" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]=
</a><br><b>Subject:</b> [Healeys] Front wheel bearing spacers. New blog pos=
t.<u></u><u></u></span></p></div><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><u></u>=C2=A0<u></u=
></p><div><div><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:12.0pt;font-=
family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"><a href=3D"https://precisionsportscar.=
com/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearing-spacers/" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-whe=
el-bearing-spacers/</a><u></u><u></u></span></p></div></div></div></div>___=
____________________________________________<br>
rer noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.htm=
l</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/he=
aleys</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" rel=3D"noreferr=
er noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive/h=
ealeys</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" tar=
get=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/li=
stinfo/healeys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer" targe=
t=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/springer.mike51@=
gmail.com</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div></div></div>

--0000000000007a06dd05f2a58365--

--===============1133675927628829049==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1133675927628829049==--

---

From: Bob Haskell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 19:27:15 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============3372350215873000122==
 boundary="------------b2HSWgLTe779ZREPi2JrSYnr"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------b2HSWgLTe779ZREPi2JrSYnr
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

With the dye penetrant, you clean the part, spray on the dye and let it 
soak in to the crack, clean off the surface, spray the developer which 
will soak up some of the penetrant from the crack.  Some kits require 
the use of a black light to see the crack.

Magnuflux works on parts that are magnetic and I believe that it can 
find smaller cracks than the dye penetrant method.  But it's been years 
- fatigue testing diesel engine crankshafts.

On 1/19/23 12:28, Bob Spidell wrote:
> electric fields?
>> bath of spray containing iron particles. The particles would gather 
>> at the edges of any cracks.
>>     tuning fork, but if you get a dull thud you likely have a crack
>>     in the axle. My dad took our stub axles up to BCS to have new
>>     the spacer, for the BN4s and later cars was cheaper than
>>     replacing broken stub axles?
>>
>>     Bob
>>
>>
> Support Team.Nethttp://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys  http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
-- 
Bob Haskell
Austin-Healey 3000 roadster registrar

--------------b2HSWgLTe779ZREPi2JrSYnr
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>With the dye penetrant, you clean the part, spray on the dye and
      let it soak in to the crack, clean off the surface, spray the
      developer which will soak up some of the penetrant from the
      crack.  Some kits require the use of a black light to see the
      crack. <br>
    </p>
    <p>Magnuflux works on parts that are magnetic and I believe that it
      can find smaller cracks than the dye penetrant method.  But it's
      been years - fatigue testing diesel engine crankshafts.<br>
    </p>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 1/19/23 12:28, Bob Spidell wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      I thought there might be a difference, but I learn when I say
      something misinformed and get corrected (happens a lot; hence my
      initials ;). Presumably, the dye penetrant method doesn't involve
      electric fields?<br>
      <br>
      bs<br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 1/19/2023 7:43 AM, Michael Salter
        wrote:<br>
      </div>
      <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
        <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;
          charset=UTF-8">
        <div dir="ltr">
          <div class="gmail_default"
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">Hi
            thanks for your comment. If possible I would really
            appreciate it if you would add it to the comments  on my
            blog post.</div>
          <div class="gmail_default"
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small"><a
href="https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearing-spacers/"
              moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearing-spacers/</a></div>
          <div class="gmail_default"
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">Interestingly
            my understanding of "Magnaflux" testing is entirely
            different. The "magnaflux" system we used in the aircraft
            industry subjected the ferrous part to a magnetic field and
            immersed it into a bath of spray containing iron particles.
            The particles would gather at the edges of any cracks. <br>
          </div>
          <div class="gmail_default"
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">I was
            involved with a comparison test of "Magnaflux" vs penetrant
            dye testing on Rolls Royce Dart engine parts and the general
            conclusion was that the results achieved using
            "Magnaflux"were very much more dependent on operator skill
            than penetrant dye although the penetrant system took a lot
            longer.</div>
          <div class="gmail_default"
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br>
          </div>
          <div class="gmail_default"
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">M<br>
          </div>
          <div class="gmail_default"
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br>
          </div>
        </div>
        <br>
        <div class="gmail_quote">
          <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 3:55
            PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
              moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
            wrote:<br>
          </div>
          <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px
            0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
            rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
            <div> Another good post, Michael. A couple things:<br>
              <br>
              - To the best of my recollection--I haven't gotten in
              there in a while--my BN2 has the spacers. I think it was
              one of the later cars so maybe they were added at the end
              of the run? Nothing else about the car makes me think any
              of the previous owners were particularly diligent or
              careful with the car (though it was in relatively good
              shape when we bought it).<br>
              <br>
              - If you don't have facilities for using a penetrant
              dye--what us Yankees call 'magnaflux'--the 'ring test' can
              sometimes suffice. Suspend the stub axle, preferably with
              wire, and give it a sharp rap with a hammer, wrench, etc.
              The axle should ring, like a tuning fork, but if you get a
              dull thud you likely have a crack in the axle. My dad took
              our stub axles up to BCS to have new bushings installed
              and reamed, and Dad said Norman Nock was impressed by
              Dad's knowledge of the ring test (Dad was an Old School
              mechanic himself).<br>
              <br>
              - I always assumed if a part wasn't absolutely necessary
              the BMC bean counters would have it removed; maybe they
              realized keeping the spacer, for the BN4s and later cars
              was cheaper than replacing broken stub axles?<br>
              <br>
              Bob<br>
              <br>
              <br>
              <div>On 1/18/2023 8:00 AM, Michael Salter wrote:<br>
              </div>
              <blockquote type="cite">
                <div dir="ltr">
                  <div class="gmail_default"
                    style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small"><a
href="https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearing-spacers/"
                      target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
                      class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearing-spacers/</a></div>
                </div>
                <br>
                <fieldset></fieldset>
                <pre>_______________________________________________

</pre>
              </blockquote>
              <br>
            </div>

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 
Bob Haskell
Austin-Healey 3000 roadster registrar</pre>
  </body>
</html>

--------------b2HSWgLTe779ZREPi2JrSYnr--

--===============3372350215873000122==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3372350215873000122==--