Subject: [Healeys] Ignition warning light

From: Ian Hey via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 12:15:52 +0100

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============8151121546063151206==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_008E_01D8D4C6.627B71E0"
Content-Language: en-gb

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_008E_01D8D4C6.627B71E0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

My understanding is that an LED is fine for a dynamo, but for an alternator
the current generated by the warning light is what gets the field coils
energised, and LEDs pull so little current that the field coils will not
energise, and so no generation takes place.

Ian

------=_NextPart_000_008E_01D8D4C6.627B71E0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72" style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>My understanding is that an =
LED is fine for a dynamo, but for an alternator the current generated by =
the warning light is what gets the field coils energised, and LEDs pull =
so little current that the field coils will not energise, and so no =
generation takes place.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Ian<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_008E_01D8D4C6.627B71E0--

--===============8151121546063151206==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============8151121546063151206==--