Subject: [Healeys] [OT] Gas

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 09:15:36 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============6803563875847009295==
 boundary="------------BAhZC9IJz7UiyeDL30eXJ0u0"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------BAhZC9IJz7UiyeDL30eXJ0u0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Some interesting history:

https://jalopnik.com/a-brief-history-of-gasoline-they-lied-about-the-scienc-1848189752

There's one disputable claim in the article, re:

"... he failed to advance the car’s ignition and was struck by its hand 
crank when the motor kicked back, breaking his jaw ..."

I used to drive my dad's Model As, which had manual advance (a lever on 
the steering column). For starting, you had to RETARD spark timing--with 
either the starter or hand crank (I think I did this one time)--not 
ADVANCE it. Same with his 1919 fire engine.

Footnote: Bartles & Jaymes /were/ mythical, but Carlo Rossi was real; my 
mom knew him when she worked at Gallo.
--------------BAhZC9IJz7UiyeDL30eXJ0u0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>

    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    Some interesting history:<br>
    <br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://jalopnik.com/a-brief-history-of-gasoline-they-lied-about-the-scienc-1848189752">https://jalopnik.com/a-brief-history-of-gasoline-they-lied-about-the-scienc-1848189752</a><br>
    <br>
    <br>
    There's one disputable claim in the article, re:<br>
    <br>
    "... he failed to advance the car’s ignition and was struck by its
    hand crank when the motor kicked back, breaking his jaw ..."<br>
    <br>
    I used to drive my dad's Model As, which had manual advance (a lever
    on the steering column). For starting, you had to RETARD spark
    timing--with either the starter or hand crank (I think I did this
    one time)--not ADVANCE it. Same with his 1919 fire engine.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Footnote: Bartles &amp; Jaymes <i>were</i> mythical, but Carlo
    Rossi was real; my mom knew him when she worked at Gallo.<br>
  </body>
</html>
--------------BAhZC9IJz7UiyeDL30eXJ0u0--

--===============6803563875847009295==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============6803563875847009295==--