Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN2 Brakes

From: greylinn--- via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 08:12:11 +1000

...I've always used that technique in my (and other) BN1s. Though it was
snake oil when first told about it, but it works!

Peter Linn
BN1 V6
Brisbane

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Bob Spidell
Sent: Thursday, 26 August 2021 12:58 AM
To: Healeys <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Healeys] BN2 Brakes

A while back, I issued a request for advice on how to fix a soft pedal on my
BN2 after replacing several cylinders and some shoes. I'd pressure-bled
them, which has always worked well for me before, but when I got a good
pedal it would go soft after some time and/or a bit of driving. A lister
suggested a method he'd seen work before: hold pressure on the pedal with a
board/weight/etc. for a few hours or days. 
In desperation, I put a board on the depressed pedal and 'staked' it on the
driver side seat pan. As (bad) luck would have it, I had to deal with my
mother's dementia and place her in memory care, and my landlord evicted
us--he's selling--and we started a complete remodel of her house before we
moved in. So, no time or energy to work on the car for a couple months--plus
a heat wave that made it uncomfortable to work in the garage--but when I
finally got back on the car a couple days ago, I had a good pedal, that
seems to persist. Needless to say, I'm happy about this, but a bit curious
why this worked; my guess is the pressure on the fluid causes any air in the
fluid to form bubbles, which gradually migrate back into the reservoir.
Another (remote) possibility is the brake fluid causes some swelling in the
seals, allowing them to seal better (though I've not seen any evidence of
leaks).

Anyway, thanks to the person who suggested this; now on to other issues.

Bob
_______________________________________________
$12.75

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys