Subject: [Healeys] BN2 Brakes

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 07:57:46 -0700

A while back, I issued a request for advice on how to fix a soft pedal 
on my BN2 after replacing several cylinders and some shoes. I'd 
pressure-bled them, which has always worked well for me before, but when 
I got a good pedal it would go soft after some time and/or a bit of 
driving. A lister suggested a method he'd seen work before: hold 
pressure on the pedal with a board/weight/etc. for a few hours or days. 
In desperation, I put a board on the depressed pedal and 'staked' it on 
the driver side seat pan. As (bad) luck would have it, I had to deal 
with my mother's dementia and place her in memory care, and my landlord 
evicted us--he's selling--and we started a complete remodel of her house 
before we moved in. So, no time or energy to work on the car for a 
couple months--plus a heat wave that made it uncomfortable to work in 
the garage--but when I finally got back on the car a couple days ago, I 
had a good pedal, that seems to persist. Needless to say, I'm happy 
about this, but a bit curious why this worked; my guess is the pressure 
on the fluid causes any air in the fluid to form bubbles, which 
gradually migrate back into the reservoir. Another (remote) possibility 
is the brake fluid causes some swelling in the seals, allowing them to 
seal better (though I've not seen any evidence of leaks).

Anyway, thanks to the person who suggested this; now on to other issues.

Bob
_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys