Subject: [Healeys] Brake Fluid -- Silicone vs. glycol

From: Gary Anderson via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 15:36:58 -0700

--===============3542937772188535030==

--000000000000f4707505c7fa464d

Having co-authored the book on restoration of Austin-Healeys and been
involved in classic cars for over 30 years, I've confronted this question
in many forms and many times. I've talked to vintage racers and great
collections managers on whose decisions thousands of dollars and human
lives can depend.
Out of all this, the simple neutral answer depends on how you will use the
car.

Assuming you've replaced the complete brake system AND all seals and
gaskets, then:

If you use your classic car regularly and maintain it carefully, then by
all means use glycol-based fluid and change it at least every two years
(more frequently if you're racing and/or doing long tours).

If you don't use your classic car regularly -- it's parked for months on
end or used for display and show rather than regular driving and touring --
then use silicone fluid.

Regarding the proviso above, if you're not changing gaskets and seals, then
use whatever fluid was used before, but with glycol replace it every two
years at minimum and with silicone, check the level frequently and top up
as necessary.

Let me know if you can find a classic collection manager or racing driver
who will disagree with that answer.

Best
Gary Anderson

--000000000000f4707505c7fa464d
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Having co-authored the book on restoration of Austin-=
Healeys and been involved in classic cars for over 30 years, I&#39;ve confr=
onted this question in many forms and many times. I&#39;ve talked to vintag=
e racers and great collections managers on whose decisions thousands of dol=
lars and human lives can depend. <br></div><div>Out of all this, the simple=
 neutral answer depends on how you will use the car.</div><div><br></div><d=
iv>Assuming you&#39;ve replaced the complete brake system AND all seals and=
 gaskets, then:</div><div><br></div><div>If you use your classic car regula=
rly and maintain it carefully, then by all means use glycol-based fluid and=
 change it at least every two years (more frequently if you&#39;re racing a=
nd/or doing long tours). <br></div><div><br></div><div>If you don&#39;t use=
 your classic car regularly -- it&#39;s parked for months on end or used fo=
r display and show rather than regular driving and touring -- then use sili=
cone fluid.</div><div><br></div><div>Regarding the proviso above, if you&#3=
9;re not changing gaskets and seals, then use whatever fluid was used befor=
e, but with glycol replace it every two years at minimum and with silicone,=
 check the level frequently and top up as necessary.</div><div><br></div><d=
iv>Let me know if you can find a classic collection manager or racing drive=
r who will disagree with that answer.</div><div><br></div><div>Best</div><d=
iv>Gary Anderson<br></div></div>

--000000000000f4707505c7fa464d--

--===============3542937772188535030==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============3542937772188535030==--