Subject: [Healeys] BJ8---clutch and "SS" aka--scuttle shake

From: Tom Felts <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 09:00:14 -0400 (EDT)

--===============4168593674517665154==
	boundary="=_440466ba-6654-412a-9eeb-1918cea24fe9"

--=_440466ba-6654-412a-9eeb-1918cea24fe9
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Recently (maybe 6 months ago) I installed a new clutch disc and TOB.  (PP l=
ooked good so didn't add a new one)  Shifts great but when starting the car=
 even with it out of gear, it "groans" a second or so when the engine start=
s but goes away and I would only hear it at times when I down shifted.  Onc=
e hot I never heard it.  Then--------I took a 600 mile trip over the last t=
wo days.  I began to hear it more and at different times---Pushing the clut=
ch in, starting the car and downshifting.  Several times I heard what sound=
ed like a "ping" when I pressed the cutch pedal.I have a hunch it is the PP=
-----could be one of the fingers got bent when installing??  Otherwise, I h=
ave no idea.Second------for the years I have had this car, I have hated the=
 dreaded scuttle shake.  I have balanced all wheels--even added the scuttle=
 shake "mod"  (cross beams on the inner body, behind the engine) and had th=
e rear drums balanced locally.  All to no avail-----between 55 and 65 there=
 is comes again!!  The drive was wonderful all the while as long as I drove=
 slower or faster than these speeds.
What to do------what to do???Any thoughts would be appreciated.Tom
--=_440466ba-6654-412a-9eeb-1918cea24fe9
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><style> body {height: 100%; color:#000000; font-size:12pt; font=
-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;}</style></head><body><div>Recently (m=
aybe 6 months ago) I installed a new clutch disc and TOB.&nbsp; (PP looked =
good so didn't add a new one)&nbsp; Shifts great but when starting the car =
even with it out of gear, it "groans" a second or so when the engine starts=
 but goes away and I would only hear it at times when I down shifted.&nbsp;=
 Once hot I never heard it.&nbsp; Then--------I took a 600 mile trip over t=
he last two days.&nbsp; I began to hear it more and at different times---Pu=
shing the clutch in, starting the car and downshifting.&nbsp; Several times=
 I heard what sounded like a "ping" when I pressed the cutch pedal.</div><d=
iv><br data-mce-bogus=3D"1"></div><div>I have a hunch it is the PP-----coul=
d be one of the fingers got bent when installing??&nbsp; Otherwise, I have =
no idea.</div><div><br data-mce-bogus=3D"1"></div><div>Second------for the =
years I have had this car, I have hated the dreaded scuttle shake.&nbsp; I =
have balanced all wheels--even added the scuttle shake "mod"&nbsp; (cross b=
eams on the inner body, behind the engine) and had the rear drums balanced =
locally.&nbsp; All to no avail-----between 55 and 65 there is comes again!!=
&nbsp; The drive was wonderful all the while as long as I drove slower or f=
aster than these speeds.</div><div><br></div><div>What to do------what to d=
o???</div><div><br data-mce-bogus=3D"1"></div><div>Any thoughts would be ap=
preciated.</div><div>Tom</div><div><br data-mce-bogus=3D"1"></div><div><br =
data-mce-bogus=3D"1"></div><div><br data-mce-bogus=3D"1"></div><div><br dat=
a-mce-bogus=3D"1"></div></body></html>
--=_440466ba-6654-412a-9eeb-1918cea24fe9--

--===============4168593674517665154==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============4168593674517665154==--