Subject: [Healeys] Fuel Senders and gauges - again!

From: Peter Dzwig via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 14:27:27 +0100

All,

as we all know Healey fuel gauges are notoriously unreliable.

I want you to cast you minds back a few years. In the past somebody on
the list came up with a solution that got things to work properly (and,
no, it had nothing to do with a piece of wood and a pen!).

I have some vague idea that it may have involved switching polarities or
something and fitting a modern gauge, but I can't recall what it was.
Can any of you remember?

The original also offered a cogent explanation of why the standard parts
didn't work which I'd also be interested in.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

Peter
-- 

Dr. Peter Dzwig
_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Kees Oudesluijs via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 20:05:10 +0200 (CEST)

The very simple Smiths/Jaeger gauges are very reliable but they need to be fitted properly. After 55+ years the sender of the fuel gauge may give up because of corrosion or a leaking float or a capillary tube of a temperature may break. All easily repaired or cheaply replaced. Look at the electronic dash rubbish from Ford Mustang, BMW and most others. These can go wrong at any time costing horrendous amounts of money to put them right or replace them.
Kees Oudesluijs
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]