Subject: Re: [Healeys] Another sign that we are all doomed not Healey

From: Laurie Wilford <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 00:39:18 +0000

--===============4267812587527163769==
Content-Language: en-CA
	boundary="_000_YTXPR0101MB2205546E010DB16F6F8305AAE6179YTXPR0101MB2205_"

--_000_YTXPR0101MB2205546E010DB16F6F8305AAE6179YTXPR0101MB2205_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_YTXPR0101MB2205546E010DB16F6F8305AAE6179YTXPR0101MB2205_
Content-ID:  <[email-masked]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_YTXPR0101MB2205546E010DB16F6F8305AAE6179YTXPR0101MB2205_--

--===============4267812587527163769==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============4267812587527163769==--

---

From: Mike Sinclair <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 18:25:50 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5160507863750805645==
 boundary="------------2C40FA6E03C47C2813E72304"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------2C40FA6E03C47C2813E72304
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

:)

On 7/9/2021 5:39 PM, Laurie Wilford wrote:
> ^^&&;&&::::&^^^;^::^&:^^&£^&;&£:&&**1w1s the w
> £^ jvvvjhhhjhbj hiva
> The dua2e2Kamloops 3sa
> 223 21qq read sei 91q 21qq23wa221qq23wa a221geyfg tech
> Sent from my Galaxy2szszuy
> A3ru
>
> -------- Original message --------
>
>     From: llennep--- via Healeys <[email-masked]>66uf67çx
>
> Date: 2021-07-09 3:06 p.m. (GMT-05:00)
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Healeys] Another sign that we are all doomed not Healey
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
>   How Software Is Eating the Car
>
>
>     The trend toward self-driving and electric vehicles will add
>     hundreds of millions of lines of code to cars. Can the auto
>     industry cope?
>
> By Robert N. Charette <https://spectrum.ieee.org/author/robert-n-charette>
> Predictions of lost global vehicle production caused by the ongoing 
> semiconductor shortage 
> <https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Business-Spotlight/How-the-chip-shortage-got-so-bad-and-why-it-s-so-hard-to-fix> continue 
> to rise. In January, analysts forecast 
> <https://www.business-standard.com/article/automobile/world-s-biggest-automakers-suspend-operations-as-chip-supplies-dry-up-121032400488_1.html> that 1.5 
> million fewer vehicles would be produced as a result of the shortage; 
> by April that number had steadily climbed 
> <https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/latest-numbers-microchip-shortage-pickups-taking-bigger-hits> to 
> more than 2.7 million units, and by May, to more than 4.1 million 
> units 
> <https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/plants-big-worry-missing-demand-because-chip-crisis>.
> The semiconductor shortage has underscored not only the fragility of 
> the automotive supply chain 
> <https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-semiconductors-supply-chain-ins/auto-industry-rethinks-cost-cutting-playbook-as-covid-19-chip-shortages-disrupt-supply-chains-idUSKBN2BO4ZW>, 
> but placed an intense spotlight on the auto industry’s reliance on the 
> dozens of concealed computers embedded throughout vehicles today.
> “No other industry is undergoing as rapid technological change as the 
> auto industry,” says Zoran Filipi, Chair of the Department of 
> Automotive Engineering at Clemson University’s International Center 
> for Automotive Research <https://cuicar.com/>. “This is driven by the 
> need to address impending, evermore stringent CO2 and criteria 
> emission regulations, while sustaining unprecedented rate of progress 
> with development of automation and infotainment, and meeting the 
> customer expectations regarding performance, comfort, and utility.”
> The coming years will see even greater change, as more auto 
> manufacturers commit 
> <https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g35562831/ev-plans-automakers-timeline/> to 
> phasing out their internal combustion engine (ICE) powered vehicles to 
> meet global climate-change targets 
> <https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/growing-momentum-global-overview-of-government-targets-for-phasing-out-sales-of-new-internal-combustion-engine-vehicles/> by 
> replacing them with electric vehicles 
> <https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g29994375/future-electric-cars-trucks/> (EVs) 
> that will eventually be capable of autonomous operation 
> <https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/levels-of-autonomous-driving-explained>.
> The past decade of ICE vehicle development illustrates the rapid 
> progress it has made, as well as where it is heading.
> Chart titled Vehicle production shortfall due to chip shortage.
> “Once, software was a part of the car. Now, software determines the 
> value of a car,” notes Manfred Broy, emeritus professor of informatics 
> at Technical University <https://www.tum.de/en/>, Munich and a leading 
> expert on software in automobiles. “The success of a car depends on 
> its software much more than the mechanical side.” Nearly all vehicle 
> innovations by auto manufacturers, or original equipment manufacturers 
> (OEMs) as they are called by industry insiders, are now tied to 
> software, he says.
> Ten years ago 
> <https://spectrum.ieee.org/transportation/systems/this-car-runs-on-code>, 
> only premium cars contained 100 microprocessor-based electronic 
> control units (ECUs) networked throughout the body of a car, executing 
> 100 million lines of code or more. Today, high-end cars like the BMW 
> 7-series with advanced technology like advanced driver-assist systems 
> <https://www.caranddriver.com/research/a31880412/adas/> (ADAS) may 
> contain 
> <https://www.embitel.com/blog/embedded-blog/automotive-control-units-development-innovations-mechanical-to-electronics> 150 
> ECUs or more, while pick-up trucks like Ford’s F-150 top 150 million 
> lines of code 
> <https://cmte.ieee.org/futuredirections/2016/01/13/guess-what-requires-150-million-lines-of-code/>. 
> Even low-end vehicles are quickly approaching 100 ECUs and 100 
> million of lines of code as more features that were once considered 
> luxury options, such as adaptive cruise control 
> <https://www.motortrend.com/news/adaptive-cruise-control/> and 
> automatic emergency braking 
> <https://www.motortrend.com/news/automatic-emergency-braking/>, are 
> becoming standard.
> Additional safety features that have been mandated since 2010 like 
> electronic stability control, 
> <https://mycardoeswhat.org/safety-features/electronic-stability-control/> 
> backup cameras 
> <https://abcnews.go.com/US/cars-us-now-required-backup-cameras/story?id=54854404>, 
> and automatic emergency calling (eCall) 
> <https://etsc.eu/automated-emergency-calling-ecall-now-mandatory-on-new-car-models/#:~:text=Automated%2520emergency%2520calling%2520(eCall)%2520now%2520mandatory%2520on%2520new%2520car%2520models,-April%25203%252C%25202018&text=All%2520new%2520models%2520of%2520car,the%2520event%2520of%2520a%2520collision.&text=The%2520system%2520was%2520launched%2520on%2520Android%2520phones%2520in%25202016.> in 
> the EU, as well as more stringent emission standards 
> <https://theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/ICCT_Euro6-VI_briefing_jun2016.pdf> that 
> ICE vehicles can only meet 
> <https://autotechreview.com/opinion/guest-commentary/how-software-in-automobiles-helps-curb-pollution> using 
> yet more innovative electronics and software, have further driven ECU 
> and software proliferation.
> Consulting firm Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited 
> <https://www2.deloitte.com/global/en.html> estimates that as of 2017, 
> some 40% of the cost of a new car 
> <https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/cn/Documents/technology-media-telecommunications/deloitte-cn-tmt-semiconductors-the-next-wave-en-190422.pdf> can 
> be attributed to semiconductor-based electronic systems, a cost 
> doubling since 2007. It estimates this total will approach 50% by 
> 2030. The company further predicts that each new car today has about 
> $600 worth of semiconductors packed into it, consisting of up to 3,000 
> chips 
> <https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/23/business/auto-semiconductors-general-motors-mercedes.html> of 
> all types.
> Totaling the number of ECUs and lines of software only hints at the 
> intricate electronic orchestration and software choreography found in 
> vehicles today. By observing how they perform together, the 
> extraordinary complexity that is meant to be invisible from a driver’s 
> perspective begins to emerge. New safety, comfort, performance and 
> entertainment features, the commercial imperative to offer scores of 
> options to buyers resulting in a multiplicity of variants for each 
> make and model, and the shift from gasoline and human drivers to 
> electric and artificially intelligent drivers and the hundreds of 
> millions of lines of new code that will need to be written, checked, 
> debugged and secured against hackers, are making cars into 
> supercomputers on wheels and forcing the auto industry to adapt. But 
> can it?
>
>
>       Features and Variants Drive Complexity
>
> The drive over the last two decades to provide more safety and 
> entertainment features has transformed automobiles from mere 
> conveyances to mobile computing centers. Instead of racks of servers 
> and high-speed optical interconnects, ECUs and wiring harnesses 
> communicate data throughout the vehicle and beyond. And then there are 
> the 10s of millions of lines code that run every time to you go to the 
> grocery store.
>
>
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

--------------2C40FA6E03C47C2813E72304
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p><font face="Tahoma">:)</font><br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 7/9/2021 5:39 PM, Laurie Wilford
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="auto">^^&amp;&amp;;&amp;&amp;::::&amp;^^^;^::^&amp;:^^&amp;£^&amp;;&amp;£:&amp;&amp;**1w1s
        the w</div>
      <div dir="auto">£^ jvvvjhhhjhbj hiva</div>
      <div dir="auto">The dua2e2Kamloops 3sa</div>
      <div dir="auto">223 21qq read sei 91q 21qq23wa221qq23wa a221geyfg
        tech </div>
      <div id="composer_signature" dir="auto">
        <div style="font-size:85%;color:#575757" dir="auto">Sent from my
          Galaxy2szszuy</div>
      </div>
      <div dir="auto">A3ru</div>
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div dir="auto" style="font-size:100%;color:#000000" align="left">
        <div>-------- Original message --------</div>
      </div>
      <blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding:
        0px;" dir="auto">
        <div dir="auto" style="font-size:100%;color:#000000"
          align="left">
          <div>From: llennep--- via Healeys
            <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a>66uf67çx</div>
        </div>
      </blockquote>
      <div dir="auto" style="font-size:100%;color:#000000" align="left">
        <div>Date: 2021-07-09 3:06 p.m. (GMT-05:00) </div>
        <div>To: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> </div>
        <div>Subject: [Healeys] Another sign that we are all doomed not
          Healey </div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
      </div>
      <div style="color:black; font:10pt Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"
        dir="auto"><br>
        <div style="font-family:helvetica,arial; font-size:10pt;
          color:black"><font size="2">
            <div id="yiv6850861807">
              <div style="font-family:Helvetica
                Neue,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-size:16px"
                class="yiv6850861807ydp4e899ba2yahoo-style-wrap">
                <div>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</div>
                <div><br>
                </div>
                <div><br>
                </div>
                <div><br>
                </div>
                <div dir="ltr">
                  <div>
                    <h1 style="margin:10px auto; font-weight:400;
                      line-height:42px; font-size:40px;
                      font-family:Theinhardt-Medium,sans-serif;
                      color:rgb(0,0,0); width:620px; text-align:center"
                      class="yiv6850861807ydp7d8f668main-title">
                      How Software Is Eating the Car</h1>
                    <h2 style="margin:10px auto; font-weight:400;
                      line-height:1.2; font-size:26px;
                      font-family:Georgia,serif; text-align:center;
                      width:620px; color:rgb(136,136,136)!important"
                      class="yiv6850861807ydp7d8f668article-dek
                      yiv6850861807ydp7d8f668hide-mobile">
                      The trend toward self-driving and electric
                      vehicles will add hundreds of millions of lines of
                      code to cars. Can the auto industry cope?</h2>
                    <div style="max-width:100%; padding:4px 0px 0px;
                      border-top:4px solid rgb(226,76,45); margin:1em
                      0px; font-family:Theinhardt-Regular,sans-serif;
                      color:rgb(0,0,0); font-size:16px"
                      class="yiv6850861807ydp7d8f668author-name">
                      <span style="font-size:14px">By <span
                          style="font-family:Theinhardt-Bold,sans-serif"><a
                            style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
                            href="https://spectrum.ieee.org/author/robert-n-charette"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">Robert N. Charette</a></span></span></div>
                    <div style="max-width:100%; width:620px; margin:0px
                      auto; color:rgb(0,0,0); font-family:Georgia,serif;
                      font-size:16px"
                      class="yiv6850861807ydp7d8f668articleBody
                      yiv6850861807ydp7d8f668entry-content">
                      <div style="max-width:100%"
                        class="yiv6850861807ydp7d8f668hide-mobile">
                        <div style="max-width:100%"
                          class="yiv6850861807ydp7d8f668article-parsely">
                          <div style="max-width:100%"
                            class="yiv6850861807ydp7d8f668row">
                            <div style="width:300px; padding-right:15px;
                              padding-left:15px; max-width:100%"
                              class="yiv6850861807ydp7d8f668col-md-12">
                            </div>
                          </div>
                        </div>
                      </div>
                      <div style="max-width:100%"
                        id="yiv6850861807ydp7d8f668blog-inner">
                        <div style="margin:0px 0px 1em; font-size:18px;
                          line-height:25px">Predictions of lost global
                          vehicle production caused by the <a
                            style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
href="https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Business-Spotlight/How-the-chip-shortage-got-so-bad-and-why-it-s-so-hard-to-fix"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">ongoing semiconductor
                            shortage</a> continue to rise. In January, <a
                            style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
href="https://www.business-standard.com/article/automobile/world-s-biggest-automakers-suspend-operations-as-chip-supplies-dry-up-121032400488_1.html"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">analysts forecast</a> that 1.5
                          million fewer vehicles would be produced as a
                          result of the shortage; by April that <a
                            style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
href="https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/latest-numbers-microchip-shortage-pickups-taking-bigger-hits"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">number had steadily
                            climbed</a> to more than 2.7 million units,
                          and by May, to <a style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
href="https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/plants-big-worry-missing-demand-because-chip-crisis"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">more than 4.1 million
                            units</a>.</div>
                        <div style="margin:0px 0px 1em; font-size:18px;
                          line-height:25px">The semiconductor shortage
                          has underscored not only the <a
                            style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
href="https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-semiconductors-supply-chain-ins/auto-industry-rethinks-cost-cutting-playbook-as-covid-19-chip-shortages-disrupt-supply-chains-idUSKBN2BO4ZW"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">fragility of the
                            automotive supply chain</a>, but placed an
                          intense spotlight on the auto industry’s
                          reliance on the dozens of concealed computers
                          embedded throughout vehicles today.</div>
                        <div style="margin:0px 0px 1em; font-size:18px;
                          line-height:25px">“No other industry is
                          undergoing as rapid technological change as
                          the auto industry,” says <span>Zoran Filipi,
                            Chair of the Department of Automotive
                            Engineering at </span><a
                            style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
                            href="https://cuicar.com/"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">Clemson University’s
                            International Center for Automotive Research</a>. “This
                          is driven by the need to address impending,
                          evermore stringent CO<span
                            style="font-size:13.5px; line-height:0;
                            vertical-align:baseline"><span>2</span></span> and
                          criteria emission regulations, while
                          sustaining unprecedented rate of progress with
                          development of automation and infotainment,
                          and meeting the customer expectations
                          regarding performance, comfort, and utility.” </div>
                        <div style="margin:0px 0px 1em; font-size:18px;
                          line-height:25px">The coming years will see
                          even greater change, as more auto
                          manufacturers <a style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
href="https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g35562831/ev-plans-automakers-timeline/"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">commit</a> to phasing
                          out their internal combustion engine (ICE)
                          powered vehicles to meet <a
                            style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
href="https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/growing-momentum-global-overview-of-government-targets-for-phasing-out-sales-of-new-internal-combustion-engine-vehicles/"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">global climate-change
                            targets</a> by <a style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
href="https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g29994375/future-electric-cars-trucks/"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">replacing them with
                            electric vehicles</a> (EVs) that will
                          eventually be <a style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
href="https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/levels-of-autonomous-driving-explained"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">capable of autonomous
                            operation</a>.</div>
                        <div style="margin:0px 0px 1em; font-size:18px;
                          line-height:25px">The past decade of ICE
                          vehicle development illustrates the rapid
                          progress it has made, as well as where it is
                          heading.</div>
                        <img style="vertical-align:middle;
                          border-style:none; max-width:100%;
                          margin-bottom:5px; display:block; width:300px"
                          class="yiv6850861807"
                          src="https://spectrum.ieee.org/image/MzgyNzk1Mw.jpeg"
                          alt="Chart titled Vehicle production shortfall
                          due to chip shortage."
                          onmouseover="imageMousePointerUpdate(true)"
                          onmouseout="imageMousePointerUpdate(false)"
                          moz-do-not-send="true"><br>
                        <div style="margin:0px 0px 1em; font-size:18px;
                          line-height:25px">“Once, software was a part
                          of the car. Now, software determines the value
                          of a car,” notes <span>Manfred Broy, emeritus
                            professor of informatics at </span><a
                            style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
                            href="https://www.tum.de/en/"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">Technical University</a><span>,
                            Munich and a leading expert on software in
                            automobiles.</span> “The success of a car
                          depends on its software much more than the
                          mechanical side.” Nearly all vehicle
                          innovations by auto manufacturers, or original
                          equipment manufacturers (OEMs) as they are
                          called by industry insiders, are now tied to
                          software, he says.</div>
                        <div style="margin:0px 0px 1em; font-size:18px;
                          line-height:25px"><a style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
href="https://spectrum.ieee.org/transportation/systems/this-car-runs-on-code"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">Ten years ago</a>,
                          only premium cars contained 100
                          microprocessor-based electronic control units
                          (ECUs) networked throughout the body of a car,
                          executing 100 million lines of code or more.
                          Today, high-end cars like the BMW 7-series
                          with advanced technology like <a
                            style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
                            href="https://www.caranddriver.com/research/a31880412/adas/"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">advanced
                            driver-assist systems</a> (ADAS) <a
                            style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
href="https://www.embitel.com/blog/embedded-blog/automotive-control-units-development-innovations-mechanical-to-electronics"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">may contain</a> 150
                          ECUs or more, while pick-up trucks like <a
                            style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
href="https://cmte.ieee.org/futuredirections/2016/01/13/guess-what-requires-150-million-lines-of-code/"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">Ford’s F-150 top 150
                            million lines of code</a>. Even low-end
                          vehicles are quickly approaching 100 ECUs and
                          100 million of lines of code as more features
                          that were once considered luxury options, such
                          as <a style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
                            href="https://www.motortrend.com/news/adaptive-cruise-control/"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">adaptive cruise
                            control</a> and <a style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
                            href="https://www.motortrend.com/news/automatic-emergency-braking/"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">automatic emergency
                            braking</a>, are becoming standard.</div>
                        <div style="margin:0px 0px 1em; font-size:18px;
                          line-height:25px">Additional safety features
                          that have been mandated since 2010 like <a
                            style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
href="https://mycardoeswhat.org/safety-features/electronic-stability-control/"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">electronic stability
                            control,</a> <a style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
href="https://abcnews.go.com/US/cars-us-now-required-backup-cameras/story?id=54854404"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">backup cameras</a>,
                          and <a style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
href="https://etsc.eu/automated-emergency-calling-ecall-now-mandatory-on-new-car-models/#:~:text=Automated%2520emergency%2520calling%2520(eCall)%2520now%2520mandatory%2520on%2520new%2520car%2520models,-April%25203%252C%25202018&amp;text=All%2520new%2520models%2520of%2520car,the%2520event%2520of%2520a%2520collision.&amp;text=The%2520system%2520was%2520launched%2520on%2520Android%2520phones%2520in%25202016."
                            moz-do-not-send="true">automatic emergency
                            calling (eCall)</a> in the EU, as well as
                          more <a style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
href="https://theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/ICCT_Euro6-VI_briefing_jun2016.pdf"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">stringent emission
                            standards</a> that ICE vehicles <a
                            style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
href="https://autotechreview.com/opinion/guest-commentary/how-software-in-automobiles-helps-curb-pollution"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">can only meet</a> using
                          yet more innovative electronics and software,
                          have further driven ECU and software
                          proliferation.</div>
                        <div style="margin:0px 0px 1em; font-size:18px;
                          line-height:25px">Consulting firm <a
                            style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
                            href="https://www2.deloitte.com/global/en.html"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">Deloitte Touche
                            Tohmatsu Limited</a> estimates that as of
                          2017, some <a style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
href="https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/cn/Documents/technology-media-telecommunications/deloitte-cn-tmt-semiconductors-the-next-wave-en-190422.pdf"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">40% of the cost of a
                            new car</a> can be attributed to
                          semiconductor-based electronic systems, a cost
                          doubling since 2007. It estimates this total
                          will approach 50% by 2030. The company further
                          predicts that each new car today has about
                          $600 worth of semiconductors packed into it, <a
                            style="color:rgb(0,0,0);
                            text-decoration-line:underline;
                            background-color:transparent"
                            rel="noreferrer noopener"
href="https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/23/business/auto-semiconductors-general-motors-mercedes.html"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">consisting of up
                            to 3,000 chips</a> of all types.</div>
                        <div style="margin:0px 0px 1em; font-size:18px;
                          line-height:25px">Totaling the number of ECUs
                          and lines of software only hints at the
                          intricate electronic orchestration and
                          software choreography found in vehicles today.
                          By observing how they perform together, the
                          extraordinary complexity that is meant to be
                          invisible from a driver’s perspective begins
                          to emerge. New safety, comfort, performance
                          and entertainment features, the commercial
                          imperative to offer scores of options to
                          buyers resulting in a multiplicity of variants
                          for each make and model, and the shift from
                          gasoline and human drivers to electric and
                          artificially intelligent drivers and the
                          hundreds of millions of lines of new code that
                          will need to be written, checked, debugged and
                          secured against hackers, are making cars into
                          supercomputers on wheels and forcing the auto
                          industry to adapt. But can it? </div>
                        <h3 style="margin-top:0px; font-weight:400;
                          line-height:1.2;
                          font-family:Theinhardt-Regular,sans-serif;
                          color:rgb(90,90,90)">
                          Features and Variants Drive Complexity</h3>
                        <div style="margin:0px 0px 1em; font-size:18px;
                          line-height:25px">The drive over the last two
                          decades to provide more safety and
                          entertainment features has transformed
                          automobiles from mere conveyances to mobile
                          computing centers. Instead of racks of servers
                          and high-speed optical interconnects, ECUs and
                          wiring harnesses communicate data throughout
                          the vehicle and beyond. And then there are the
                          10s of millions of lines code that run every
                          time to you go to the grocery store.</div>
                      </div>
                    </div>
                  </div>
                </div>
                <br>
              </div>
            </div>
          </font></div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------2C40FA6E03C47C2813E72304--

--===============5160507863750805645==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5160507863750805645==--