Subject: Re: [Healeys] heating up

From: Bob Begani via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 08:48:38 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============4292802224274611767==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_006B_01D70052.B1A81560"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_006B_01D70052.B1A81560
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Good idea will buy a heat gun, to see if there is any differential.  By =
the way, last year the engine was rebuilt, radiator was boiled out and =
pressure tested not replaced because it had already additional capacity, =
always has 50/50 antifreeze in the cooling system etc.

=20

Thanks for your comments will keep trying and driving with the top down =
without snow.

=20

Bob Begani

=20

From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>=20
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2021 9:20 PM
To: [email-masked]' <[email-masked]>
Cc: 'Bob Begani' <[email-masked]>; 'Ahealey help' =
<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] heating up

=20

Go to Harbor Freight and purchase a heat gun (about $20) focus it on the =
head and also the radiator.  If the readings are different from you =
gauge on the facia, send that off to Nisonger as well.  If the gauge =
reads the same as the heat gun, you need to find out what's wrong with =
the cooling system.

=20

Normal temp. is about 185 degrees F. My Healey has never gone above =
that, unless idling in traffic...then maybe 200.  A 7lb. pressure cap =
allow you to go to 219 before you boil...but that's too hot and you will =
soon be looking for replacing head gaskets or cracked heads.

Check that temp gauge, maybe clean the bulb in the radiator and adjust =
fan belt, but sounds like a flush, new thermostat, maybe a water pump, =
and antifreeze are in your future. Regards, Hank

-----------------------------------------

To: "Bob Begani", "Ahealey help"
Cc:=20
Sent: Wednesday February 10 2021 6:06:26PM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Installing a rebuilt speedo

Bob, that seems terribly hot to me.  My BT7 often runs around 170 in =
regular summer weather but even on the hottest days never goes above =
185.  No electric fan =E2=80=93 just a bog standard cooling system, =
which is sufficient up here in Ontario.

=20

Mirek

=20

From: Healeys <[email-masked] =
Sent: February 10, 2021 4:23 PM
Subject: [Healeys] Installing a rebuilt speedo

=20

So over the summer I had the speedo rebuilt by Nisongers. It looks brand =
new and works.  First time in 15 years I have a speedo.  Although my =
algorithm of add 15 mph to the tack number gets you the approximate =
speed in 3rd gear over drive.  I am now trying to install the speedo =
permanently into the dash and having problems remembering the wiring.  =
As there are 2 wires with a circular ground connection, I should attach =
one to each holding spade? Has anyone got a picture or sketch of the =
back of the dash?

=20

Also, I am trying to install Led lights. Which should I order from Moss? =
 The short ones?=20

=20

Also, when ordering some parts from British Car Specialists I was =
speaking with John and mentioned my overheating problems.  Besides the =
normal suggestions, He mentioned the radiator cap has to be for a long =
neck British radiator.  I when to my car and the radiator cap was a =
standard USA Stant, so I ordered the one he suggested.  Yes, it is =
=C2=BC inch longer than the stant and put it on the radiator and when =
for my 25 mile drive on Tamiami Trail and back.  The water gauge went =
right up to 212 and then to 230, but, settled down to 212 for the rest =
of the trip without operating the electric fan.  While driving at 30-40 =
through my neighborhood home with the fan on the temperature stayed a =
little over 212 degrees.  Hopefully, this temperature range with =
continue as I slowly get my Healey operating well enough for longer =
trips.

=20

Regards

=20

Bob Begani

------=_NextPart_000_006B_01D70052.B1A81560
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle20
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72" style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Good idea will =
buy a heat gun, to see if there is any differential.=C2=A0 By the way, =
last year the engine was rebuilt, radiator was boiled out and pressure =
tested not replaced because it had already additional capacity, always =
has 50/50 antifreeze in the cooling system etc.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Thanks for =
your comments will keep trying and driving with the top down without =
snow.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Bob =
Begani<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><div><div style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 =
1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b>From:</b> =
[email-masked] &lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br><b>Sent:</b> =
Wednesday, February 10, 2021 9:20 PM<br><b>To:</b> =
[email-masked]' &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>Cc:</b> =
'Bob Begani' &lt;[email-masked]&gt;; 'Ahealey help' =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] heating =
up<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Go to Harbor =
Freight and purchase a heat gun (about $20) focus it on the head and =
also the radiator.&nbsp; If the readings are different from you gauge on =
the facia, send that off to Nisonger as well.&nbsp; If the gauge reads =
the same as the heat gun, you need to find out what's wrong with the =
cooling system.<o:p></o:p></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Normal temp. is about 185 degrees F. My Healey has =
never gone above that, unless idling in traffic...then maybe 200.&nbsp; =
A 7lb. pressure cap allow you to go to 219 before you boil...but that's =
too hot and you will soon be looking for replacing head gaskets or =
cracked heads.<br><br>Check that temp gauge, maybe clean the bulb in the =
radiator and adjust fan belt, but sounds like a flush, new thermostat, =
maybe a water pump, and antifreeze are in your future. Regards, =
Hank<o:p></o:p></p><p>-----------------------------------------<o:p></o:p=
></p><p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>From: <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>To: =
&quot;Bob Begani&quot;, &quot;Ahealey help&quot;<br>Cc: <br>Sent: =
Wednesday February 10 2021 6:06:26PM<br>Subject: Re: [Healeys] =
Installing a rebuilt speedo<o:p></o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'>Bob, that =
seems terribly hot to me.&nbsp; My BT7 often runs around 170 in regular =
summer weather but even on the hottest days never goes above 185.&nbsp; =
No electric fan =E2=80=93 just a bog standard cooling system, which is =
sufficient up here in Ontario.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'>&nbsp;<o:p><=
/o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'>Mirek<o:p></=
o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'>&nbsp;<o:p><=
/o:p></p><div style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 =
1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><b>From:</b>=
 Healeys &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
.net</a>&gt; <b>On Behalf Of</b> Bob Begani<br><b>Sent:</b> February 10, =
2021 4:23 PM<br><b>To:</b> Ahealey help &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>=
<b>Subject:</b> [Healeys] Installing a rebuilt =
speedo<o:p></o:p></p></div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'>&nbsp;<o:p><=
/o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>So over the =
summer I had the speedo rebuilt by Nisongers. It looks brand new and =
works.&nbsp; First time in 15 years I have a speedo.&nbsp; Although my =
algorithm of add 15 mph to the tack number gets you the approximate =
speed in 3<sup>rd</sup> gear over drive.&nbsp; I am now trying to =
install the speedo permanently into the dash and having problems =
remembering the wiring.&nbsp; As there are 2 wires with a circular =
ground connection, I should attach one to each holding spade? Has anyone =
got a picture or sketch of the back of the dash?</span><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>&nbsp;</span><o=
:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Also, I am =
trying to install Led lights. Which should I order from Moss?&nbsp; The =
short ones?&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>&nbsp;</span><o=
:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Also, when =
ordering some parts from British Car Specialists I was speaking with =
John and mentioned my overheating problems.&nbsp; Besides the normal =
suggestions, He mentioned the radiator cap has to be for a long neck =
British radiator.&nbsp; I when to my car and the radiator cap was a =
standard USA Stant, so I ordered the one he suggested.&nbsp; Yes, it is =
=C2=BC inch longer than the stant and put it on the radiator and when =
for my 25 mile drive on Tamiami Trail and back.&nbsp; The water gauge =
went right up to 212 and then to 230, but, settled down to 212 for the =
rest of the trip without operating the electric fan.&nbsp; While driving =
at 30-40 through my neighborhood home with the fan on the temperature =
stayed a little over 212 degrees.&nbsp; Hopefully, this temperature =
range with continue as I slowly get my Healey operating well enough for =
longer trips.</span><o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>&nbsp;</span><o=
:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Regards</span><=
o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>&nbsp;</span><o=
:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Bob =
Begani</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_006B_01D70052.B1A81560--

--===============4292802224274611767==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============4292802224274611767==--