Subject: Re: [Healeys] Over heating Healey's

From: Kees Oudesluijs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 08:34:22 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============7680256394500022200==
 boundary="------------6342BD7DB92B9DDB0B9A0E3A"
Content-Language: en-GB

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------6342BD7DB92B9DDB0B9A0E3A
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Why not fit a thermostatic switch in the top tank or hose to control the 
fan. Kicking in at ca. 200 -210°F and kicking out at about 185°F should 
do the trick. Use an adaptor with to accommodate the majority of thermal 
switches, in EU it is M22 if I remember correctly. There are thousands 
of them to choose from.

Keep the manual override switch though.

Kees Oudesluijs

Op 26-2-2019 om 22:29 schreef Robert Begani:
>
> During the past 3 weeks since the rebuilt engine started, I have been 
> running the engine for 20 min at a time.  The temp would slowly climb 
> to almost 200 degrees, so I would shut it off. Finally, I got help 
> from my friend wiring the pusher radiator fan I installed with the 
> radiator. We wired the fan to the altenator with a relay and  fused 
> the toggle switch to the spare on the fuse block on the engine 
> firewall. Started the engine and ran it for 30 min at mostly idle with 
> a few min up to 3500.  It held a constant 180 degrees. It is currently 
> 80 Degrees in SW Florida and your skin will burn if you are in the 
> sun.  That should give anyone the answer “how to modify my Healey to 
> be able to drive it in hot temperatures and in traffic”  My engine 
> before rebuild would only overheat in hot summer weather in Chicago or 
> in Florida when driving in Stop and Go Traffic or under 40 mph.  With 
> the new shovel in front of the radiator directing air into the 
> radiator, I expect that I do not have to turn on the fan at lower 
> speeds that 40 mph.  Will know more as soon as I can get the car off 
> the jack stands.
>
> Bob Begani
>
> 67 BJ8
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

--------------6342BD7DB92B9DDB0B9A0E3A
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>Why not fit a thermostatic switch in the top tank or hose to
      control the fan. Kicking in at ca. 200 -210°F and kicking out at
      about 185°F should do the trick. Use an adaptor with to
      accommodate the majority of thermal switches, in EU it is M22 if I
      remember correctly. There are thousands of them to choose from.</p>
    <p>Keep the manual override switch though.<br>
    </p>
    <p>Kees Oudesluijs</p>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">Op 26-2-2019 om 22:29 schreef Robert
      Begani:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered
        medium)">
      <style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">During
            the past 3 weeks since the rebuilt engine started, I have
            been running the engine for 20 min at a time.  The temp
            would slowly climb to almost 200 degrees, so I would shut it
            off. Finally, I got help from my friend wiring the pusher
            radiator fan I installed with the radiator. We wired the fan
            to the altenator with a relay and  fused the toggle switch
            to the spare on the fuse block on the engine firewall. 
            Started the engine and ran it for 30 min at mostly idle with
            a few min up to 3500.  It held a constant 180 degrees. It is
            currently 80 Degrees in SW Florida and your skin will burn
            if you are in the sun.  That should give anyone the answer
            “how to modify my Healey to be able to drive it in hot
            temperatures and in traffic”  My engine before rebuild would
            only overheat in hot summer weather in Chicago or in Florida
            when driving in Stop and Go Traffic or under 40 mph.  With
            the new shovel in front of the radiator directing air into
            the radiator, I expect that I do not have to turn on the fan
            at lower speeds that 40 mph.  Will know more as soon as I
            can get the car off the jack stands.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">Bob
            Begani<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">67
            BJ8 <o:p></o:p></span></p>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------6342BD7DB92B9DDB0B9A0E3A--

--===============7680256394500022200==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============7680256394500022200==--

---

From: Tom Felts <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 07:49:39 -0500 (EST)

--===============6696519642158555055==
	boundary="=_22374612-f157-4942-af9d-57ae82954a91"

--=_22374612-f157-4942-af9d-57ae82954a91
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

why not install a 6 bladed fan?  My BJ8 has never overheated after adding o=
ne and that was a lot of years ago.tom
----- Original Message -----
From: Kees Oudesluijs <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 02:34:22 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Over heating Healey's

Why not fit a thermostatic switch in the top tank or hose to
 control the fan. Kicking in at ca. 200 -210=C2=B0F and kicking out at
 about 185=C2=B0F should do the trick. Use an adaptor with to
 accommodate the majority of thermal switches, in EU it is M22 if I
 remember correctly. There are thousands of them to choose from.Keep the ma=
nual override switch though.
Kees Oudesluijs

Op 26-2-2019 om 22:29 schreef Robert
 Begani:
During
 the past 3 weeks since the rebuilt engine started, I have
 been running the engine for 20 min at a time.  The temp
 would slowly climb to almost 200 degrees, so I would shut it
 off. Finally, I got help from my friend wiring the pusher
 radiator fan I installed with the radiator. We wired the fan
 to the altenator with a relay and  fused the toggle switch
 to the spare on the fuse block on the engine firewall.=20
 Started the engine and ran it for 30 min at mostly idle with
 a few min up to 3500.  It held a constant 180 degrees. It is
 currently 80 Degrees in SW Florida and your skin will burn
 if you are in the sun.  That should give anyone the answer
 =E2=80=9Chow to modify my Healey to be able to drive it in hot
 temperatures and in traffic=E2=80=9D  My engine before rebuild would
 only overheat in hot summer weather in Chicago or in Florida
 when driving in Stop and Go Traffic or under 40 mph.  With
 the new shovel in front of the radiator directing air into
 the radiator, I expect that I do not have to turn on the fan
 at lower speeds that 40 mph.  Will know more as soon as I
 can get the car off the jack stands. Bob
 Begani67
 BJ8=20
_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeyshttp://autox.team.net/archive=
[email-masked]://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

[email-masked]

--=_22374612-f157-4942-af9d-57ae82954a91
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><style> body {height: 100%; color:#000000; font-size:12pt; font=
-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;}</style></head><body><div>why not ins=
tall a 6 bladed fan?&nbsp; My BJ8 has never overheated after adding one and=
 that was a lot of years ago.</div><div>tom</div><div><br data-mce-bogus=3D=
"1"></div><div><br></div><div>----- Original Message -----<br>From: Kees Ou=
desluijs &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: [email-masked]<br>Sen=
t: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 02:34:22 -0500 (EST)<br>Subject: Re: [Healeys] Over hea=
ting Healey's<br></div><div><br></div><p>Why not fit a thermostatic switch =
in the top tank or hose to<br> control the fan. Kicking in at ca. 200 -210=
=C2=B0F and kicking out at<br> about 185=C2=B0F should do the trick. Use an=
 adaptor with to<br> accommodate the majority of thermal switches, in EU it=
 is M22 if I<br> remember correctly. There are thousands of them to choose =
from.</p><p>Keep the manual override switch though.<br></p><p>Kees Oudeslui=
js</p><p><br></p><p><br></p><div class=3D"moz-cite-prefix">Op 26-2-2019 om =
22:29 schreef Robert<br> Begani:<br></div><blockquote cite=3D"mid:001601d4c=
[email-masked]"><div class=3D"WordSection1"><p class=3D"M=
soNormal"><span style=3D"font-size: 12.0pt; font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif=
;" data-mce-style=3D"font-size: 12.0pt; font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif;">D=
uring<br> the past 3 weeks since the rebuilt engine started, I have<br> bee=
n running the engine for 20 min at a time.&nbsp; The temp<br> would slowly =
climb to almost 200 degrees, so I would shut it<br> off. Finally, I got hel=
p from my friend wiring the pusher<br> radiator fan I installed with the ra=
diator. We wired the fan<br> to the altenator with a relay and &nbsp;fused =
the toggle switch<br> to the spare on the fuse block on the engine firewall=
.&nbsp;<br> Started the engine and ran it for 30 min at mostly idle with<br=
> a few min up to 3500.&nbsp; It held a constant 180 degrees. It is<br> cur=
rently 80 Degrees in SW Florida and your skin will burn<br> if you are in t=
he sun.&nbsp; That should give anyone the answer<br> =E2=80=9Chow to modify=
 my Healey to be able to drive it in hot<br> temperatures and in traffic=E2=
=80=9D&nbsp; My engine before rebuild would<br> only overheat in hot summer=
 weather in Chicago or in Florida<br> when driving in Stop and Go Traffic o=
r under 40 mph.&nbsp; With<br> the new shovel in front of the radiator dire=
cting air into<br> the radiator, I expect that I do not have to turn on the=
 fan<br> at lower speeds that 40 mph.&nbsp; Will know more as soon as I<br>=
 can get the car off the jack stands.</span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><spa=
n style=3D"font-size: 12.0pt; font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif;" data-mce-st=
yle=3D"font-size: 12.0pt; font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif;">&nbsp;</span></=
p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size: 12.0pt; font-family: 'Ar=
ial',sans-serif;" data-mce-style=3D"font-size: 12.0pt; font-family: 'Arial'=
,sans-serif;">Bob<br> Begani</span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=
=3D"font-size: 12.0pt; font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif;" data-mce-style=3D"=
font-size: 12.0pt; font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif;">67<br> BJ8 </span></p>=
</div><br><fieldset class=3D"mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset><pre class=3D=
"moz-quote-pre">_______________________________________________<br>Support =
Team.Net <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://www.team.net/don=
ate.html" target=3D"_blank" data-mce-href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.htm=
l">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Suggested annual donation  $12.75=
<br></pre><div><br></div><pre class=3D"moz-quote-pre">Archive: <a class=3D"=
moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" targe=
t=3D"_blank" data-mce-href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http:/=
/www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a><a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank" data-mce-href=3D"http:=
//autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><a class=3D"moz-=
txt-link-abbreviated" href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_bla=
nk" data-mce-href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]<=
/a><a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman=
/listinfo/healeys" target=3D"_blank" data-mce-href=3D"http://autox.team.net=
/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</=
a><br></pre><div><br></div><pre class=3D"moz-quote-pre">Unsubscribe/Manage:=
 <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/o=
ptions/healeys/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" data-mce-href=3D"ht=
tp://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]">http://a=
utox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a></pre></bloc=
kquote><div><br></div><div><br></div></body></html>
--=_22374612-f157-4942-af9d-57ae82954a91--

--===============6696519642158555055==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6696519642158555055==--