Subject: Re: [Healeys] delayed emails

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 22:34:43 -0000

Yes, for sure. I've been getting old emails; had them once already.
Also have the impression that I'm not getting all the list emails that I
should. Can't be sure of that.
Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Bob Haskell
Sent: 17 February 2019 16:25
To: Healey List <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Healeys] delayed emails

Listers,

This is probably a question for mjb, but wondering if other folks are
receiving emails many days after they've been written?  A couple of days ago
I received rkeysor's email about his aluminum radiator installation that was
sent on January 23rd.  Yesterday, got Bill Lawrence's question about
hydrolastic fluid from the 27th.

Cheers,

Bob Haskell
Austin Healey 3000 MkI registrar
http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php
_______________________________________________
$12.75

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked].
com

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 15:15:39 -0800

Me.  Been going on for a few years.  Hard to follow 'conversations' 
sometimes.

Bob

On 2/17/2019 8:25 AM, Bob Haskell wrote:
> receiving emails many days after they've been written?  A couple of 
> days ago I received rkeysor's email about his aluminum radiator 
> installation that was sent on January 23rd.  Yesterday, got Bill 
> Lawrence's question about hydrolastic fluid from the 27th.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bob Haskell
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark Donaldson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 14:27:39 +1300

Me too.  I noticed it about a week ago.  I wondered if I'd entered a time
warp.

Mark

Ardmore
NZ

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Haskell [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, 18 February 2019 5:25 a.m.
To: Healey List
Subject: [Healeys] delayed emails

Listers,

This is probably a question for mjb, but wondering if other folks are 
receiving emails many days after they've been written?  A couple of days 
ago I received rkeysor's email about his aluminum radiator installation 
that was sent on January 23rd.  Yesterday, got Bill Lawrence's question 
about hydrolastic fluid from the 27th.

Cheers,

Bob Haskell

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:28:44 -0700

> Lawrence's question about hydrolastic fluid from the 27th.

What is happening in these cases is that the messages are getting pulled 
out of the queue for some reason and being set aside until they can be 
reviewed by the admin guy, which is me.  I get a couple hundred such 
messages each and every day.  Sometimes it takes me a while to get 
through them all.  The vast majority are spam, but there are a few 
legitimate emails, such as the ones to which you refer.  When I get to 
dealing with them I approve them and they get sent out, and as you 
noticed, it can be weeks before that happens.  That is strictly my 
fault, I don't spend 24/7/365 at the keyboard dealing with such issues.

What has also been happening over the last few years is that there is a 
delay of several hours for regular messgaes to get through the system.  
I have looked into that and have yet to determine if it is a problem 
with the software, or perhaps some hardware issue that causes major 
delays in disk reads and writes. But I am trying to deal with that, at 
the moment leaning towards getting a brand new box with a new OS on 
line.  I wrote this on another list earlier.

====

> MJB wrote : "...I'll give fair warning...(when bringing a new server 
> online)." : that should be a sign for us to donate some money, 
> eventually for a professional grade server.
> How much money is such a server?
> Marcel
>

A nice, state of the art server would run about 3 - 4 thousand. But 
these days Team.Net doesn't do the volume of email and web services as 
it did back in its prime, the first decade or so after coming online 
back in 1991.  Back then it took serious hardware and expertise to 
provide such services, and high capacity network connections to private 
residents were rare and expensive.  In those early days I'd do annual 
fund drives, and out of the 15 - 16 thousand subscribers would get a 
couple thousand dollars which covered the monthly charges and hardware 
maintenance.  At that time if every subscriber sent me like 5 bucks a 
year Team.Net would have been my full time job, and I would have been 
able to spend more time on my Triumphs.

Nowadays anybody and their dog can easily set up a web page, Team.Net is 
not the only game in town.  Back then some of the popular lists had a 
thousand or so folks on them, and saw a dozen or more messages per day.  
Peak traffic would be about 5 million email transactions a month.  As I 
recall when I attended the Silver Anniversary SCCA Solo II Nationals in 
1997, roughly two thirds of those entered in the event were subscribed 
to the autox list here.

So now it is a lot less hectic for me, still have to deal with hundreds 
of spam messages a day, constant bounces and such.  But it it 
manageable.   No need for annual fund drives, computers and a network 
connection are something I would have anyway.  So the bottom line is we 
don't need a several thousand dollar machine. An appropriately 
configured PC intended for the home market would have the necessary 
computing power to handle the current Team.Net load.  I plan on going to 
Best Buy to get a new clock radio later today, maybe I'll take a stroll 
though the computer section, see what's out there.

====

That message did kick loose a few dollars  through the donate link in 
every outgoing message.  So chances are good there will be a new machine 
doing the work within a week or two.  So the many hour delay could be 
fixed soon, no ETA on when the scatterbrained, procrastinating man 
behind the curtain will manage to never get behind in moderator approvals.

Oh, I never did get to shopping around for a new clock radio.

mjb.

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:34:14 -0700

And in case you are wondering, I have been trying to clean up all the 
held messages since being out of town for a few days.  It was a nice 
wedding, Phoenix weather is much warmer than Salt Lake.

As of this writing, there are still 1,472 messages awaiting my perusal, 
324 of them from the healeys list.

mjb.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Earl Kagna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:11:52 -0800

It's happening to me as well Bob.  Maybe MJB will chime in here.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb

-----Original Message----- 
From: Bob Haskell 
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2019 8:25 AM 
To: Healey List 
Subject: [Healeys] delayed emails 

Listers,

Cheers,

Bob Haskell

[email-masked]

---

From: "Al Fuller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 13:21:40 +0900

I've been getting some delayed emails, too - for what it's worth.

Al Fuller
Fuller Compliance, Inc.
Quality Systems, Software Quality, Validation + 21 CFR Part 11

714.335.0248

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Bob Spidell
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 8:16 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] delayed emails

Bob

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Al Fuller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 16:26:02 +0900

Mark - here is a suggestion to reduce the volume of messages that need to be reviewed:

In the past my experience has been that if I click 'reply-all' my email client will send a response to the list and to the person who sent the message - all expected behavior.  [In the case of this particular message, it is going to [email-masked] and to [email-masked].] the issue is that such messages routinely get flagged by the software for having too many recipients.  

Usually the message does get released, but it seems as if the software just made your life harder than it needs to be.  Is there something you can change in the software to eliminate this [or, is there something ** I ** can do?]

Al Fuller
Fuller Compliance, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Mark J Bradakis
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 10:34 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] delayed emails

And in case you are wondering, I have been trying to clean up all the held messages since being out of town for a few days.  It was a nice wedding, Phoenix weather is much warmer than Salt Lake.

mjb.

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 08:06:22 -0800

Thunderbird--the free POP email reader from Mozilla--has a 'Reply List' 
option.  I usually use it to reply here, though I don't really know if  
it's doing anything good.

On 2/17/2019 11:26 PM, Al Fuller wrote:
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

[email-masked]

---

From: "Len and/or Marge Hartnett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 09:49:43 -0800

Al:  First, let me state that although I use a computer, I consider myself 
computer challenged.  As long as there are no problems, I'm fine.  But, when 
a technical problem hits, the technical jargon goes right over my head.

When I realized that by sending a Reply to both the individual and The List, 
the recipient was receiving the message twice, I started doing a "Reply", 
deleted the recipients name from the To: box, and inserted "AH Mail List", 
MY contact name for The List.  I put the recipient's name (e.g. "AL", see 
above) at the beginning of my response in the Message box (or is this the 
Text box?).  My Reply went to The List for all to see and the recipient sees 
that the e-mail is in response to his/her e-mail specifically.  One e-mail 
delivered and everyone sees it.

By the way, I also delete all of Mark's links at the bottom of the message. 
If not, after several "Replys" to the original message, they can be repeated 
several times wasting computer space.  I recall that Mark mentioned this 
several years ago.

(The Other) Len
Fairfield, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Al Fuller" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Mark J Bradakis'" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2019 11:26 PM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] delayed emails

> In the past my experience has been that if I click 'reply-all' my email 
> client will send a response to the list and to the person who sent the 
> message - all expected behavior.  [In the case of this particular message, 
> it is going to [email-masked] and to [email-masked].] the issue 
> is that such messages routinely get flagged by the software for having too 
> many recipients.
>
> Usually the message does get released, but it seems as if the software 
> just made your life harder than it needs to be.  Is there something you 
> can change in the software to eliminate this [or, is there something ** I 
> ** can do?]
>
>
> Al Fuller
> Fuller Compliance, Inc.
> And in case you are wondering, I have been trying to clean up all the held 
> messages since being out of town for a few days.  It was a nice wedding, 
> Phoenix weather is much warmer than Salt Lake.
>

[email-masked]

---

From: "Earl Kagna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 16:48:08 -0800

I agree.  As an example, the message that I - and presumably all of us - 
just received about spark plugs was posted by me on Feb 6.  I simply hit 
'reply all' - I received the 'too many recipients' notification, did not 
cancel the posting figuring that 2 -3 days wouldn't matter a heckuva lot. 
The list moderator software took 12 days.  Had I known, I would have 
cancelled and reposted. Sorry everyone.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb

-----Original Message----- 
From: Al Fuller
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2019 11:26 PM
To: 'Mark J Bradakis' ; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] delayed emails

Mark - here is a suggestion to reduce the volume of messages that need to be 
reviewed:

In the past my experience has been that if I click 'reply-all' my email 
client will send a response to the list and to the person who sent the 
message - all expected behavior.  [In the case of this particular message, 
it is going to [email-masked] and to [email-masked].] the issue is 
that such messages routinely get flagged by the software for having too many 
recipients.

Usually the message does get released, but it seems as if the software just 
made your life harder than it needs to be.  Is there something you can 
change in the software to eliminate this [or, is there something ** I ** can 
do?]

Al Fuller
Fuller Compliance, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Mark J Bradakis
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 10:34 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] delayed emails

mjb.

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked] 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Al Fuller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 11:37:54 +0900

Hi Len - I have done exactly what you describe below, and it works just
fine!  

I was just making a suggestion to Mark, since changing the mail list
software to allow 2 recipients would both save him time, but also ensure my
emails get through without these gymnastics.

Thanks, 

Al Fuller
Fuller Compliance, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Len and/or Marge
Hartnett
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 2:50 AM
To: AH Mail List <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] delayed emails

(The Other) Len
Fairfield, CA, USA

----- Original Message -----
From: "Al Fuller" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Mark J Bradakis'" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2019 11:26 PM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] delayed emails

[email-masked]

[email-masked]