Subject: Re: [Healeys] clutch fork bushings

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 22:11:54 -0700

"does the taper pin drift out from trans side or clutch side?"

Yes.

But seriously--did this a couple years ago and dammed if I ever figured 
out for sure.  Both ends were peined over and I really couldn't tell 
even though I studied it for hours.  My best guess is, because the 
access hole is on the gearbox side, it was probably driven in from the 
clutch side (so you could drive it out from the gearbox side).  But 
don't quote me; IIRC I ended up drilling it out.

Bob

ps.  Bet David Nock knows ;)

pps.  I put a plastic plug in the access hole because, you know, dirt.

On 10/19/2018 2:15 PM, healeymanjim wrote:
> replacing clutch fork bushings and cannot remember.  does the taper pin drift out from trans side or clutch side?
> _______________________________________________
>
>

_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Haskell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 03:30:18 -0400

Trans side.  There's a hole (about 3/4"?) in the bell housing that you 
can put the drift through.

Cheers,

Bob Haskell
AHCA 3000 MkI registrar
http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php

On 10/19/2018 05:15 PM, healeymanjim wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
> 
> 

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 08:12:02 -0700

Also, there's (should be) a screw into a hole on the top of the shaft.  
It appears to do nothing.  Finally concluded it's so that you can use 
some sort of forked tool--or a longer screw (so you don't gall the 
original) and some vise grips--to extract the shaft as there's no other 
way to get it out.  Apparently, the only reason for the screw is to keep 
the threaded hole from getting gunked-up.

Moss has a kit that includes the shaft, the bushes and pin.  It's 
cheaper to buy the shaft and the bushes separately, but you have to buy 
the kit to get a new pin (how convenient).  IIRC, the hole in the shaft 
is tapered, so not suitable for just using a roll pin.  I ended up 
buying both, out of exasperation, as the bushes in the kit didn't fit as 
well as the individual ones.  The plastic thrust washers are N/A, at 
least from Moss, so don't throw yours away.

Just in case.

[email-masked]