Subject: [Healeys] oil pump

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 12:12:18 -0000

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============6999727684256605990==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0001_01D47049.CEF2A900"
Content-Language: en-gb

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D47049.CEF2A900
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi,

Has anyone got the Denis Welch oil pump ENG672M? See:-

https://www.bighealey.co.uk/performance-parts/austin-healey/engines/3000-bot
tom-end?page=3

Their text:- "Heat treated castings for longer life and removable gallery
plugs to be sure it is clean are advantages of both types of oil pumps we
offer. We recommend the high capacity for all road engines using a standard
type crank up to 6000 rpm and the standard pump for race engines, steel
cranks or anything over 6000 rpm. Both are precision machined and assembled
in-house to control the highest quality.
- ENG672 is the standard type.
- ENG672M is the high capacity pump."

What are "removable gallery plugs"?

Is it just me or is the above a bit counter-intuitive? "High capacity" for
road cars and "standard" for race engines? Surely the highest capacity is
needed where the engine is working hardest ie racing? 

And don't I remember that, with the standard BMC pumps, the older type is
reckoned to be better than the newer type? Is this something similar to
Denis Welch's two pumps?

Anyhow, if anyone's got one...what's it like? Did the oil pressure improve
at all?

I'm guessing that most people will have fitted one as part of a big rebuild
thus they won't have straightforward "before and after" comparisons. I'm
thinking of fitting mine to my engine as part of a small winter project and
hope I can squeeze a few more psi into the system. 

Thanks,

Simon

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D47049.CEF2A900
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Calibri Light";
	panose-1:2 15 3 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
h2
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 2 Char";
	margin-top:2.0pt;
	margin-right:0cm;
	margin-bottom:0cm;
	margin-left:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:13.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri Light",sans-serif;
	color:#2F5496;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;
	font-weight:normal;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
span.Heading2Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 2 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 2";
	font-family:"Calibri Light",sans-serif;
	color:#2F5496;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Hi,<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Has anyone got =
the Denis Welch oil pump ENG672M? See:-<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><a =
href=3D"https://www.bighealey.co.uk/performance-parts/austin-healey/engin=
es/3000-bottom-end?page=3D3">https://www.bighealey.co.uk/performance-part=
s/austin-healey/engines/3000-bottom-end?page=3D3</a><o:p></o:p></p><h2 =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:6.0pt;margin-right:0cm;margin-bottom:6.0pt;ma=
rgin-left:0cm;line-height:20.25pt'>Their text:- &#8220;<span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#555555;mso=
-fareast-language:EN-GB'>Heat treated castings for longer life and =
removable gallery plugs to be sure it is clean are advantages of both =
types of oil pumps we offer. We recommend the high capacity for all road =
engines using a standard type crank up to 6000 rpm and the standard pump =
for race engines, steel cranks or anything over 6000 rpm. Both are =
precision machined and assembled in-house to control the highest =
quality.<br></span><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#555555;ms=
o-fareast-language:EN-GB'>- ENG672 is the standard type.</span><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#555555;mso=
-fareast-language:EN-GB'><br>- ENG672M is the high capacity =
pump.&#8221;<o:p></o:p></span></h2><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.75pt;line-height:14.4pt'><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#555555;mso=
-fareast-language:EN-GB'>What are &#8220;removable gallery =
plugs&#8221;?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.75pt;line-height:14.4pt'><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#555555;mso=
-fareast-language:EN-GB'>Is it just me or is the above a bit =
counter-intuitive? &#8220;High capacity&#8221; for road cars and =
&#8220;standard&#8221; for race engines? Surely the highest capacity is =
needed where the engine is working hardest ie racing? =
<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.75pt;line-height:14.4pt'><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#555555;mso=
-fareast-language:EN-GB'>And don&#8217;t I remember that, with the =
standard BMC pumps, the older type is reckoned to be better than the =
newer type? Is this something similar to Denis Welch&#8217;s two =
pumps?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.75pt;line-height:14.4pt'><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#555555;mso=
-fareast-language:EN-GB'>Anyhow, if anyone&#8217;s got =
one&#8230;..what&#8217;s it like? Did the oil pressure improve at =
all?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.75pt;line-height:14.4pt'><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#555555;mso=
-fareast-language:EN-GB'>I&#8217;m guessing that most people will have =
fitted one as part of a big rebuild thus they won&#8217;t have =
straightforward &#8220;before and after&#8221; comparisons. I&#8217;m =
thinking of fitting mine to my engine as part of a small winter project =
and hope I can squeeze a few more psi into the system. =
<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Thanks,<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Simon<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D47049.CEF2A900--

--===============6999727684256605990==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============6999727684256605990==--