Subject: [Healeys] Testing condenser

From: "Ron Fine" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2018 20:24:47 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============0092335946188300254==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_008C_01D45B57.211EB550"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_008C_01D45B57.211EB550
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Is there a simple way to test a distributor condenser out of the car? =20

After many years of easy driving, my Healey suddenly quit on me, without =
warning.  Fortunately, it was in front of my home after coming back from =
the local drive.
I found a sticking float valve on the front carb.  Cleaned that out and =
tried to restart without success.  Next I looked into the distributor, =
and after cleaning the points and cap it still would not start.  I =
decided to change out the condenser which I know from past experience =
can go bad.  That seemed to make the difference. But, I have several new =
and a few used condensers in my inventory.  I would like to try to test =
them to keep the good ones and reduce my clutter of unusable parts.

Any suggestions other than installing it in a car to see if it works?

Thanks,

Ron Fine
61BN7
------=_NextPart_000_008C_01D45B57.211EB550
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>Is there a simple way to test a distributor condenser out of the =
car?&nbsp;=20
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>After many years of easy driving, my Healey suddenly quit on me, =
without=20
warning.&nbsp; Fortunately, it was in front of my home after coming back =
from=20
the local drive.</DIV>
<DIV>I found a sticking float valve on the front carb.&nbsp; Cleaned =
that out=20
and tried to restart without success.&nbsp; Next I looked into the =
distributor,=20
and after cleaning the points and cap it still would not start.&nbsp; I =
decided=20
to change out the condenser which I know from past experience can go =
bad.&nbsp;=20
That seemed to make the difference. But, I have several new and a few =
used=20
condensers in my inventory.&nbsp; I would like to try to test them to =
keep the=20
good ones and reduce my clutter of unusable parts.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Any suggestions other than installing it in a car to see if it =
works?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Ron Fine</DIV>
<DIV>61BN7</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_008C_01D45B57.211EB550--

--===============0092335946188300254==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============0092335946188300254==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2018 07:29:45 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============2867325526706167652==
 boundary="------------DD094DA1FB299E7096041EB3"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------DD094DA1FB299E7096041EB3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

This guy has a lot of good info:

https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/ig129.htm

On 10/3/2018 8:24 PM, Ron Fine wrote:
> Is there a simple way to test a distributor condenser out of the car?
> After many years of easy driving, my Healey suddenly quit on me, 
> without warning.  Fortunately, it was in front of my home after coming 
> back from the local drive.
> I found a sticking float valve on the front carb. Cleaned that out and 
> tried to restart without success.  Next I looked into the distributor, 
> and after cleaning the points and cap it still would not start.  I 
> decided to change out the condenser which I know from past experience 
> can go bad. That seemed to make the difference. But, I have several 
> new and a few used condensers in my inventory.  I would like to try to 
> test them to keep the good ones and reduce my clutter of unusable parts.

--------------DD094DA1FB299E7096041EB3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <p>This guy has a lot of good info:</p>
    <p><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/ig129.htm">https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/ig129.htm</a><br>
    </p>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 10/3/2018 8:24 PM, Ron Fine wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:A7143FAA152D4576A200F464986CB478@Inspiron660">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial'; COLOR:
          #000000">
          <div>Is there a simple way to test a distributor condenser out
            of the car?  </div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>After many years of easy driving, my Healey suddenly quit
            on me, without warning.  Fortunately, it was in front of my
            home after coming back from the local drive.</div>
          <div>I found a sticking float valve on the front carb. 
            Cleaned that out and tried to restart without success.  Next
            I looked into the distributor, and after cleaning the points
            and cap it still would not start.  I decided to change out
            the condenser which I know from past experience can go bad. 
            That seemed to make the difference. But, I have several new
            and a few used condensers in my inventory.  I would like to
            try to test them to keep the good ones and reduce my clutter
            of unusable parts.</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>Any suggestions other than installing it in a car to see
            if it works?</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>Thanks,</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>Ron Fine</div>
          <div>61BN7</div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------DD094DA1FB299E7096041EB3--

--===============2867325526706167652==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2867325526706167652==--