Subject: Re: [Healeys] Adjusting generator belt

From: "Bruce Steele" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2018 07:31:54 -0700 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0531_01D45BB4.54C87050"

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0531_01D45BB4.54C87050
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

So I recently had to as the list a similar question.  I had forgotten about
the adjusting nut on the swing arm!  With the car on 4 jack stands, I ended
up using a 1x3 placed under the generator and used my small floor jack to
ease the generator up until I was happy with the belt tension, which I
checked using a homemade gauge and a hook (see attached photo).  I slip the
hook between the belt and the timing chain cover and check it midway between
the crank and generator pulleys.  

Bruce Steele
Brea, CA
1960 BN7

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Frank
Magnusson
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2018 11:21 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Adjusting generator belt

Hello once again.

Just got my generator back on and cannot seem to get the belt tightened.
Thought I used a big pry bar from above, but it keeps hitting the valve
cover.  Do not think I did it from underneath last time.  Its been awhile
and cannot recall.  I really am not *that* old, lol!  

What do you guys use?

Thanks,
Frank
'65 BJ 8

_______________________________________________
$12.75

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_0531_01D45BB4.54C87050
	name="IMG_0558.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="IMG_0558.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_0531_01D45BB4.54C87050
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

------=_NextPart_000_0531_01D45BB4.54C87050--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2018 08:54:02 -0700

The true, honest-to-god, canonical answer is:

The belt has to be just tight enough so that there is no slippage on any 
of the pulleys--inc. the generator under load--and no tighter.

I've always used about a half-inch of depression when pushing down on 
the belt segment between the water pump and the generator using nominal 
pressure.

Definition of 'nominal' is left as an exercise for the reader.

bs

[email-masked]