Subject: [Healeys] Engine mountings

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 15:12:25 -0000 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_000A_01D2401B.D7539740"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01D2401B.D7539740
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_000B_01D2401B.D7539740"

------=_NextPart_001_000B_01D2401B.D7539740
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I read the emails regarding the delaminating of these mountings and,
allowing for inflation, even added my tuppence worth. Rather belatedly I
decided to look at mine as they weren't new when I bought the car back in
'96. And, naturally, there is bad news. The RHS (manifold side) mounting is
delaminating along its front edge, starting at the top and going about 20%
of the way down. See attached.

The other side of that mounting seems fine though it is practically
impossible to see and none of the other rubber bits on either side of the
engine are showing any signs of problems. So, it's only that one section.

What I propose to do is this:-

1)      Not panic as this seems to have been a gradual process and there is
no apparent reason why this process might speed up. I'm right to think
that???

2)      Replace ALL the rubber laminated parts of the mountings.....2 bits
on either side.

3)      Achieve all of this with minimal disruption ie without removing the
carbs (Webers) or exhaust manifolds though I concede that the centre one may
have to be loosened off. (Stainless big bore 6 branch). Certainly not going
to take the engine out. I see myself supporting the engine and even moving
it around fractionally with a couple of small trolley jacks.

4)      Do the LHS (dizzy) side first as it seems to be easier and I'll
hopefully learn a thing or two in the process.

So, how am I doing?

a)       I presume (ha!) it can be done per 3) above??? Can it?

b)      Are there any obvious "dos and don'ts"??

c)       I'm in the UK......are there any of our "usual suspects" whose
engine mounting rubber is less suspicious than others??

d)      Anything else I've missed?? There usually is!

Looking forward to your advice more than to the work involved,

Simon

------=_NextPart_001_000B_01D2401B.D7539740
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoListParagraph, li.MsoListParagraph, div.MsoListParagraph
	{mso-style-priority:34;
	margin-top:0cm;
	margin-right:0cm;
	margin-bottom:0cm;
	margin-left:36.0pt;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
/* List Definitions */
@list l0
	{mso-list-id:610674944;
	mso-list-type:hybrid;
	mso-list-template-ids:-216887418 134807575 134807577 134807579 =
134807567 134807577 134807579 134807567 134807577 134807579;}
@list l0:level1
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-text:"%1\)";
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l1
	{mso-list-id:1176267551;
	mso-list-type:hybrid;
	mso-list-template-ids:1765730936 134807569 134807577 134807579 =
134807567 134807577 134807579 134807567 134807577 134807579;}
@list l1:level1
	{mso-level-text:"%1\)";
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
ol
	{margin-bottom:0cm;}
ul
	{margin-bottom:0cm;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>I read the =
emails regarding the delaminating of these mountings and, allowing for =
inflation, even added my tuppence worth. Rather belatedly I decided to =
look at mine as they weren&#8217;t new when I bought the car back in =
&#8217;96. And, naturally, there is bad news. The RHS (manifold side) =
mounting is delaminating along its front edge, starting at the top and =
going about 20% of the way down. See attached.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The other side of that mounting seems fine though it =
is practically impossible to see and none of the other rubber bits on =
either side of the engine are showing any signs of problems. So, =
it&#8217;s only that one section.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>What I propose to do is this:-<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l1 level1 =
lfo1'><![if !supportLists]><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>1)<span =
style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span><![endif]>Not panic as this seems to have been a gradual =
process and there is no apparent reason why this process might speed up. =
I&#8217;m right to think that???<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l1 level1 =
lfo1'><![if !supportLists]><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>2)<span =
style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span><![endif]>Replace ALL the rubber laminated parts of the =
mountings.....2 bits on either side.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l1 level1 =
lfo1'><![if !supportLists]><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>3)<span =
style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span><![endif]>Achieve all of this with minimal disruption ie =
without removing the carbs (Webers) or exhaust manifolds though I =
concede that the centre one may have to be loosened off. (Stainless big =
bore 6 branch). Certainly not going to take the engine out. I see myself =
supporting the engine and even moving it around fractionally with a =
couple of small trolley jacks.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l1 level1 lfo1'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>4)<span =
style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span><![endif]>Do the LHS (dizzy) side first as it seems to be =
easier and I&#8217;ll hopefully learn a thing or two in the =
process.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>So, how am I doing?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 =
lfo2'><![if !supportLists]><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>a)<span =
style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span><![endif]>&nbsp;I presume (ha!) it can be done per 3) =
above??? Can it?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo2'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>b)<span =
style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span><![endif]>Are there any obvious &#8220;dos and =
don&#8217;ts&#8221;??<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo2'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>c)<span =
style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span><![endif]>I&#8217;m in the UK......are there any of our =
&#8220;usual suspects&#8221; whose engine mounting rubber is less =
suspicious than others??<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo2'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>d)<span =
style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span><![endif]>Anything else I&#8217;ve missed?? There usually =
is!<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph>Looking forward to your advice more than to the =
work involved,<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph>Simon<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_001_000B_01D2401B.D7539740--

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01D2401B.D7539740
	name="IMG_6545 copy.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="IMG_6545 copy.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01D2401B.D7539740
	name="IMG_6553 copy.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="IMG_6553 copy.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01D2401B.D7539740
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01D2401B.D7539740--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 09:24:28 -0500

--===============8378190883214924801==
	boundary="----=_Part_24642_1277840343.1479392668503"

------=_Part_24642_1277840343.1479392668503
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I am currently collecting parts for eventual reassembly & was recently work=
ing on the motor mounts. I ended up with several different rubber replaceme=
nt mounts from several sources that did not fit correctly. On some, the lar=
ge studs were not correctly spaced apart. Their center to center dimension =
would not allow the studs to mate with their corresponding mounting holes. =
On others, the studs were not parallel to each other & were not perpendicul=
ar to the steel plate that is bonded to the rubber. On still others, the sm=
all steel locating pin between the large studs was not in the correct locat=
ion & could not be installed into the mount without modifying the mount. Fi=
nally, I believe the  two studs on one side of the mount should (were origi=
nally) offset from the two studs on the opposite side. I.E. Not directly in=
 line with each other. Some of the manufacturers did this & some of them di=
d not. You may discover similar issues & have to modify the steel mounting =
plates to accept the new rubber mounts. I never found any that were correct=
 in all aspects.=20
Gary Hodson  =20
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Lachlan <[email-masked]>
To: 'Ahealey help' <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wed, Nov 16, 2016 4:49 pm
Subject: [Healeys] Engine mountings

______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

------=_Part_24642_1277840343.1479392668503
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<font color=3D'black' size=3D'2' face=3D'arial'>
<div>I am currently collecting parts for&nbsp;eventual reassembly&nbsp;&amp=
; was recently working on the motor mounts. I ended up with several differe=
nt rubber replacement mounts&nbsp;from several sources that did not fit cor=
rectly. On some, the&nbsp;large studs were not correctly spaced apart. Thei=
r center to center dimension would not allow the&nbsp;studs to mate with th=
eir corresponding mounting holes. On others, the studs were not parallel to=
 each other &amp; were not perpendicular to the steel plate that is bonded =
to the rubber. On still others, the small steel locating pin between the&nb=
sp;large studs was not in the correct location &amp; could not be installed=
 into the mount without modifying the mount. Finally,&nbsp;I believe the&nb=
sp; two studs on one side of the mount should (were originally) offset from=
 the two studs on the opposite side. I.E. Not directly in line with each ot=
her.&nbsp;Some of the manufacturers did this &amp; some of them did not. Yo=
u may discover&nbsp;similar issues &amp; have to modify the steel mounting =
plates to accept the new rubber mounts. I never found any that were correct=
 in all aspects. </div>

<div>Gary Hodson&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</div>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

<div style=3D"color: black; font-family: arial,helvetica; font-size: 10pt;"=
>-----Original Message-----<br>
From: Simon Lachlan &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
To: 'Ahealey help' &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
Sent: Wed, Nov 16, 2016 4:49 pm<br>
Subject: [Healeys] Engine mountings<br>
<br>

______________________________________________<br>
nk">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank">http://w=
ww.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank">http://www=
.team.net/forums</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" target=3D"_blank=
">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/optio=
ns/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>

<br>

</div>
</font>
------=_Part_24642_1277840343.1479392668503--

--===============8378190883214924801==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8378190883214924801==--