Subject: [Healeys] Coolant Expansion Bottle

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 07:37:21 +1100

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============1245469284677415944==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_008B_01D23F13.1B1A1B70"
Content-Language: en-au

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_008B_01D23F13.1B1A1B70
	charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

G'day

I know the subject of fitting a coolant expansion bottle has been covered
before, but this has a twist as it concerns a Healey and not an
Austin-Healey.

Our Healey Duncan has its original cooling system that is unpressurised.
It's assisted by an electric fan in front of the radiator, but with our
warmer climate it persists is dumping its coolant out through the overflow
pipe.

The radiator cap is a screw on type and the overflow pipe exits the radiator
header tank separately in front of the cap. Being unpressurised there is
nothing to stop the hot and expanded coolant from exiting via the overflow
pipe.

I am thinking of fitting a coolant expansion bottle but am wondering if this
will work on an unpressurised system. It seems to me that it should not make
any difference, because if the coolant cannot escape to the outside world
when it expands then it should flow back into the radiator once it cools.

Any opinions?

Thanks

Patrick Quinn

Blue Mountains, Australia

------=_NextPart_000_008B_01D23F13.1B1A1B70
	charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-AU link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'>G&#8217;day<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>I know =
the subject of fitting a coolant expansion bottle has been covered =
before, but this has a twist as it concerns a Healey and not an =
Austin-Healey.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>Our =
Healey Duncan has its original cooling system that is unpressurised. =
It&#8217;s assisted by an electric fan in front of the radiator, but =
with our warmer climate it persists is dumping its coolant out through =
the overflow pipe.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>The =
radiator cap is a screw on type and the overflow pipe exits the radiator =
header tank separately in front of the cap. Being unpressurised there is =
nothing to stop the hot and expanded coolant from exiting via the =
overflow pipe.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>I am =
thinking of fitting a coolant expansion bottle but am wondering if this =
will work on an unpressurised system. It seems to me that it should not =
make any difference, because if the coolant cannot escape to the outside =
world when it expands then it should flow back into the radiator once it =
cools.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>Any =
opinions?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'>Thanks<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>Patrick =
Quinn<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>Blue =
Mountains, Australia<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_008B_01D23F13.1B1A1B70--

--===============1245469284677415944==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============1245469284677415944==--