Subject: Re: [Healeys] Pistons

From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 05:49:47 +0000

--===============8698254108094148249==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_DM3PR19MB05694047C91B63757E9B4805A5BE0DM3PR19MB0569namp_"

--_000_DM3PR19MB05694047C91B63757E9B4805A5BE0DM3PR19MB0569namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Forged pistons are desirable for racing engines or those that are going to =
be operated at or above the manufacturer's rev limits. If you are going to =
be operating in the normal range for normal driving they may not provide an=
 advantage. Burned, melted or holed pistons are more often related to combu=
stion chamber conditions that cause excess heat or impede heat transfer. Pr=
oper ignition timing, air/fuel ratio and a reasonable compression ratio are=
 critical.

After I holed two pistons I found that the cylinder head I had been using h=
ad been shaved by over 0.040" the combustion chambers were cut down to abou=
t 50cc and the compression ratio may have been over 10:1. The engine had ev=
en pinged on premium fuel and that or the imprecise timing or a combination=
 of both had eventually caused the piston damage. It would not have mattere=
d if I had spent $1000 on pistons.

Bill Lawrence

BN!#554

________________________________
From: Healeys <[email-masked]> on behalf of goldengt <golde=
[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 12:03:09 AM
To: Bob Spidell; healeys
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Pistons

I think my JE forged was a good choice after two rebuilds due to melted pis=
tons over the years.
Ken Freese

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: 11/14/16 11:47 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: healeys <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Healeys] Pistons

Thinking about which pistons to buy form my BJ8 rebuild.  'Generic' sets ru=
n about $400 and look OK--as if you can tell by looking at pictures--and th=
e top-of the line appear to be Denis Welch's forged pistons (at nearly a gr=
and$).  Are the forged ones worth it?  Also, most 'stock' sets are 5-riing,=
 and the DWR are 3.  Obviously, the 3-ring would have less friction/drag th=
an the 5-ring, but would the difference be significant in a mostly stock st=
reet car?

Also, any recommendations on brands or suppliers?

TIA,
Bob

--------------------------------
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

--_000_DM3PR19MB05694047C91B63757E9B4805A5BE0DM3PR19MB0569namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii"=
</head>
<body>
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"><!-- P {margin-top:0;margi=
n-bottom:0;} --></style>
<div id=3D"divtagdefaultwrapper" style=3D"font-size:12pt;color:#000000;font=
-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;" dir=3D"ltr">
<p>Forged pistons are desirable for racing engines or those that are going =
to be operated at or above the manufacturer's rev limits. If you are going =
to be operating in the normal range for normal driving they may not provide=
 an advantage. Burned, melted or
 holed pistons are more often related to combustion chamber conditions that=
 cause excess heat or impede heat transfer. Proper ignition timing, air/fue=
l ratio and a reasonable&nbsp;compression ratio are critical.&nbsp;</p>
<p><br>
</p>
<p>After I holed two pistons I found that the cylinder head I had been&nbsp=
;using&nbsp;had been shaved by over 0.040&quot; the combustion chambers wer=
e cut down to about 50cc and the compression ratio may have been over 10:1.=
 The engine had even&nbsp;pinged on premium fuel and
 that or the imprecise timing or a combination of both had&nbsp;eventually =
caused the piston damage. It would not have mattered if I had spent $1000 o=
n pistons.</p>
<p><br>
</p>
<p>Bill Lawrence</p>
<p>BN!#554&nbsp;</p>
</div>
<hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%" tabindex=3D"-1">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" st=
yle=3D"font-size:11pt" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Healeys &lt;healeys-b=
[email-masked]&gt; on behalf of goldengt &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br=
<b>Sent:</b> Tuesday, November 15, 2016 12:03:09 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> Bob Spidell; healeys<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] Pistons</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div>
<div>I think my JE forged was a good choice after two rebuilds due to melte=
d pistons over the years.&nbsp;</div>
<div>Ken Freese&nbsp;</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div id=3D"composer_signature">
<div style=3D"font-size:85%;color:#575757" dir=3D"auto">Sent from my Verizo=
n, Samsung Galaxy smartphone</div>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-size:100%;color:#000000"><!-- originalMessage -->
<div>-------- Original message --------</div>
<div>From: Bob Spidell &lt;[email-masked]&gt; </div>
<div>Date: 11/14/16 11:47 AM (GMT-08:00) </div>
<div>To: healeys &lt;[email-masked]&gt; </div>
<div>Subject: [Healeys] Pistons </div>
<div><br>
</div>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt; color: #000000">
<div>Thinking about which pistons to buy form my BJ8 rebuild.&nbsp; 'Generi=
c' sets run about $400 and look OK--as if you can tell by looking at pictur=
es--and the top-of the line appear to be Denis Welch's forged pistons (at n=
early a grand$).&nbsp; Are the forged ones
 worth it?&nbsp; Also, most 'stock' sets are 5-riing, and the DWR are 3.&nb=
sp; Obviously, the 3-ring would have less friction/drag than the 5-ring, bu=
t would the difference be significant in a mostly stock street car?<br>
<br>
Also, any recommendations on brands or suppliers?</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>TIA,</div>
<div>Bob</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div><span name=3D"x"></span>--------------------------------<br>
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA<span name=3D"x"></span><br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_DM3PR19MB05694047C91B63757E9B4805A5BE0DM3PR19MB0569namp_--

--===============8698254108094148249==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============8698254108094148249==--