Subject: [Healeys] Shift Shaft Buffer

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 16:09:16 -0800

#2 on this page: 
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=28881&SortOrder=40

Looks like this 'buffer' is to prevent the shifting shafts from hitting 
the backside of the bell housing.  This is missing on my BJ8's gearbox 
and is N/A.  Anyone know if this is necessary/good idea?  I'm thinking I 
can make one from some 1/8" rubber sheet, but would be worried about it 
bunching up and preventing movement of the shaft (I would glue the pad 
to the bellhousing).

TIA for any info anyone can provide.

Bob

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Tim Davis BN7 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 21:55:06 -0500 (EST)

The guy who rebuilt my trans, gave me a piece of what liked like linoleum and instructed me to glue it in place. Said he had been using this for years.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Spidell" <[email-masked]>
To: "Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 6:09:16 PM
Subject: [Healeys] Shift Shaft Buffer

#2 on this page: 

Bob

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "BJ8Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 08:18:47 -0500

The buffer is essential. It prevents the 3/4 shift fork shaft from moving
too far forward and partially   releasing the detent balls in the gear hub.
When this happens the trans is stuck in gear and the only fix is to
dissemble the transmission. The buffer is roughly the hardness and the
thickness of linoleum tile. Aluminum sheet of the proper thickness would
also work. Glue the material to the bottom of the well in the bell housing.
All materials need to be oil tolerant. To be sure, install buffer, attach
bell housing and shift through the gears.

Herb Miller  

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
BJ8Healeys
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 9:45 PM
To: 'Healeys'
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Shift Shaft Buffer

Rubber sheet would work.  As I recall, I used a piece of scrap linoleum in
1993.  It's still working fine.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
AHCA Delegate at Large
Havelock, NC  

[email-masked]

ox.team.net