Subject: [Healeys] su pumps again

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 21:47:07 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------17DCA4AA1EFD3ECB460D98DA
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Today I overhauled my 42 year old SU fuel pump. Apart from an occasional 
cleaning of the points with a rough bit of card board nothing had been 
done to it in all those years and appr. 180.000 miles in various cars. 
The pump itself had never been opened.

When I took every thing apart it was amazingly clean, no sediment, 
grime, corrosion. And that after using lead free petrol with ethanol 5% 
for most of these years.

Have a look at the pictures.

The job is surprisingly easy. There are several YouTube films showing 
how it can be done, although they do over simplify. You need to clean 
the points with 400grade wet&dry, then polish them with 2000 grade 
flower paper. If they are to far gone you can renew this assembly. 
Available at any SU supplier in the UK or through ebay. After 
cleaning/replacing the disassembled points assembly you have to set two 
gaps using feeler gauges at assembly: 0,035"/0,9mm for the points blade 
over the flat surface of the Bakelite bridge and the lower edge of the 
spring blade with points and 0,070" or 0,090"/ 1,9mm or 2,3mm (depending 
on the source, I use 2,3mm) between the upper surface of the cast iron 
body and the small sideways brass strip of the lower point assembly.

If all is clean, leave the valves and other parts alone, just remove the 
diaphragm and check it. It is nearly always OK.

Lately I did about 11 SU pumps. All at least 40+ years old. Only two 
were very dirty and/or corroded internally, one had some slight 
yellowish sediment in it, only one diaphragm had to be replaced, only 
one set of valves and seals had to be replaced, all points assemblies 
were serviceable, one bridge was cracked but could be repaired using 
Araldite, the same with one of the Bakelite top covers.

Kees Oudesluijs

--------------17DCA4AA1EFD3ECB460D98DA
 name="IMG_4644.JPG"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
 filename="IMG_4644.JPG"

--------------17DCA4AA1EFD3ECB460D98DA
 name="IMG_4645.JPG"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
 filename="IMG_4645.JPG"

--------------17DCA4AA1EFD3ECB460D98DA
 name="9.JPG"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
 filename="9.JPG"

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/////////////////////v//////////////////////////////////////////////////
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
--------------17DCA4AA1EFD3ECB460D98DA
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--------------17DCA4AA1EFD3ECB460D98DA--