Subject: [Healeys] Here's a stumper.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 22:03:02 -0500

--part1_7c25d4.5a3ececa.43a77465_boundary
	boundary="part1_7c25d4.5a3ececa.43a77465_rel_boundary"

--part1_7c25d4.5a3ececa.43a77465_rel_boundary

--7c25d4.5a3ececa_alt_bound
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I've got an early BN1 and from everything I know, the oil pan has never  
been off the car. I find that hard to believe, but I have no record of it ever 
 happening and I have receipts going back to it's first oil change. Anyway, 
 I just took the pan off and found something very interesting, in the 
bottom of  the pan and it was in pieces. I took it out, cleaned it off and took 
some photos  of it to see if anyone knows what this is. Neither my mechanic 
or I could find  anywhere it was "supposed" to go. I do know I've run more 
than tens years with  it sitting in the bottom of the pan and never a problem.
    It's about 5" in diameter and in-between 1/8" and  1/4"in thickness. 
(Piston is from a BN1)  So what's the wisdom of the  court? What the hell is 
this? Oh and it's made out of either a very hard plastic  or a bakelight like 
material. Anybody have a guess? I'd love to hear. 
    I'm putting everything back together and going to  drive the car, don't 
see any reason not to, but wanted to let you take a look  and give me some 
thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Steven Kingsbury
BN1 #598

Upper left, chewed up  edge, got caught in something. Maybe that's what 
broke it. The  remainder of it was chewed up bits in the bottom of the  pan.
    
Pretty thick and very  hard. Gear teeth marks, from?  Stumper.

--7c25d4.5a3ececa_alt_bound
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD><META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUS-ASCII" http-equiv=3DC=
ontent-Type></HEAD>
<BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR:=
 #000000"   bottomMargin=3D7 leftMargin=3D7 rightMargin=3D7 topMargin=3D7>=
<FONT id=3Drole_document   color=3D#000000 size=3D2 face=3DArial>
<DIV>I've got an early BN1 and from everything I know, the oil pan has nev=
er=20
been off the car. I find that hard to believe, but I have no record of it=
 ever=20
happening&nbsp;and I have receipts going back to it's first oil change. An=
yway,=20
I just took the pan off and found something very interesting, in the botto=
m of=20
the pan and it was in pieces. I took it out, cleaned it off and took some=
 photos=20
of it to see if anyone knows what this is. Neither my mechanic or I could=
 find=20
anywhere it was "supposed" to go. I do know I've run more than tens years=
 with=20
it sitting in the bottom of the pan and never a problem.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;It's about 5" in diameter and in-between 1/8"=
 and=20
1/4"in thickness. (Piston is from a BN1)&nbsp; So what's the wisdom of the=
=20
court? What the hell is this? Oh and it's made out of either a very hard=
 plastic=20
or a&nbsp;bakelight like material. Anybody have a guess? I'd love to hear.=
=20
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm putting everything back together and goin=
g to=20
drive the car, don't see any reason not to, but wanted to let you take a=
 look=20
and give me some thoughts. Thanks in advance.</DIV>
<DIV>Steven Kingsbury</DIV>
<DIV>BN1 #598</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV id=3Drole_album>
<TABLE id=3Drole_outline cellSpacing=3D0 cols=3D1 align=3Dcenter border=3D=
0>
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD id=3Drole_picture       style=3D"PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; PADDING-TOP:=
 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-RIGHT: 2px"       vAlign=3Dtop align=3Dce=
nter>
      <TABLE cellSpacing=3D0 cellPadding=3D0 border=3D0>
        <TBODY>
        <TR>
          <TD vAlign=3Dtop align=3Dcenter><IMG SRC=3D"cid:X.MA1.1450580575=
@aol.com"  style=3D"HEIGHT: 360px; WIDTH: 480px"               border=3D0=
 width=3D480 height=3D360 comp_state=3D"speed" DATASIZE=3D"45173"       =
        ID=3D"MA1.1450580575" > </TD></TR>
        <TR>
          <TD style=3D"PADDING-BOTTOM: 20px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=3Dcen=
ter>
            <DIV id=3Drole_caption               style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt;=
 FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Upper left, chewed up=20
            edge, got caught in something. Maybe that's what broke it. The=
=20
            remainder of it was chewed up bits in the bottom of the=20
        pan.</DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR>
  <TR>
    <TD id=3Drole_picture       style=3D"PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; PADDING-TOP:=
 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-RIGHT: 2px"       vAlign=3Dtop align=3Dce=
nter>
      <TABLE cellSpacing=3D0 cellPadding=3D0 border=3D0>
        <TBODY>
        <TR>
          <TD vAlign=3Dtop align=3Dcenter><IMG SRC=3D"cid:X.MA2.1450580575=
@aol.com"  style=3D"HEIGHT: 360px; WIDTH: 480px"               border=3D0=
 width=3D480 height=3D360 comp_state=3D"speed" DATASIZE=3D"44435"       =
        ID=3D"MA2.1450580575" > </TD></TR>
        <TR>
          <TD style=3D"PADDING-BOTTOM: 20px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=3Dcen=
ter>
            <DIV id=3Drole_caption               style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt;=
 FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Pretty thick and very=20
            hard. Gear teeth marks, from?=20
  Stumper.</DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>
--7c25d4.5a3ececa_alt_bound--

--part1_7c25d4.5a3ececa.43a77465_rel_boundary
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--part1_7c25d4.5a3ececa.43a77465_rel_boundary
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--part1_7c25d4.5a3ececa.43a77465_rel_boundary--

--part1_7c25d4.5a3ececa.43a77465_boundary
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--part1_7c25d4.5a3ececa.43a77465_boundary--

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 4:57:31 +0000

Timing chain tensioner would be about that size, don't recall the inner workings well enough to know if it could migrate to the pan from the timing cover, it should be rubber, but could have hardened over 60 years.  Mine was gone when I took my motor apart, unless the DPO just hadn't fit one.

Greg Lemon

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 01:08:31 -0500

--===============6150391710764345824==

--part1_442936.7c25e067.43a79fdf_boundary
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I thought the same thing, but for the life of me, I can't see how in the  
hell it could make it in there. I mean I can see up to the cam, but it just  
seems to me that the tensioner would have to be put on and taken off with 
the  front cover off. Maybe I'm wrong.
Steven

In a message dated 12/19/2015 8:57:31 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Timing  chain tensioner would be about that size, don't recall the inner 
workings well  enough to know if it could migrate to the pan from the timing 
cover, it should  be rubber, but could have hardened over 60 years.  Mine was 
gone when I  took my motor apart, unless the DPO just hadn't fit one.

Greg  Lemon

> Pretty thick and very  hard.  Gear teeth marks, from?  Stumper.

--part1_442936.7c25e067.43a79fdf_boundary
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUS-ASCII" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 11.00.9600.18125"></HEAD>
<BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR:=
 #000000"=20
bottomMargin=3D7 leftMargin=3D7 rightMargin=3D7 topMargin=3D7><FONT id=3Dr=
ole_document=20
color=3D#000000 size=3D2 face=3DArial>
<DIV>I thought the same thing, but for the life of me, I can't see how in=
 the=20
hell it could make it in there. I mean I can see up to the cam, but it jus=
t=20
seems to me that the tensioner would have to be put on and taken off with=
 the=20
front cover off. Maybe I'm wrong.</DIV>
<DIV>Steven</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>In a message dated 12/19/2015 8:57:31 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,=20
[email-masked] writes:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid"=
><FONT=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" color=3D#000000 size=3D2 face=3D=
Arial>Timing=20
  chain tensioner would be about that size, don't recall the inner working=
s well=20
  enough to know if it could migrate to the pan from the timing cover, it=
 should=20
  be rubber, but could have hardened over 60 years.&nbsp; Mine was gone wh=
en I=20
  took my motor apart, unless the DPO just hadn't fit one.<BR><BR>Greg=20
  Lemon<BR><BR>---- [email-masked] wrote: <BR>&gt; I've got an early=
 BN1 and=20
  from everything I know, the oil pan has never&nbsp; <BR>&gt; been off th=
e car.=20
  I find that hard to believe, but I have no record of it ever <BR>&gt;&nb=
sp;=20
  happening and I have receipts going back to it's first oil change. Anywa=
y,=20
  <BR>&gt;&nbsp; I just took the pan off and found something very interest=
ing,=20
  in the <BR>&gt; bottom of&nbsp; the pan and it was in pieces. I took it=
 out,=20
  cleaned it off and took <BR>&gt; some photos&nbsp; of it to see if anyon=
e=20
  knows what this is. Neither my mechanic <BR>&gt; or I could find&nbsp;=
=20
  anywhere it was "supposed" to go. I do know I've run more <BR>&gt; than=
 tens=20
  years with&nbsp; it sitting in the bottom of the pan and never a=20
  problem.<BR>&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; It's about 5" in diameter and in-bet=
ween=20
  1/8" and&nbsp; 1/4"in thickness. <BR>&gt; (Piston is from a BN1)&nbsp;=
 So=20
  what's the wisdom of the&nbsp; court? What the hell is <BR>&gt; this? Oh=
 and=20
  it's made out of either a very hard plastic&nbsp; or a bakelight like <B=
R>&gt;=20
  material. Anybody have a guess? I'd love to hear. <BR>&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp;&=
nbsp;=20
  I'm putting everything back together and going to&nbsp; drive the car,=
 don't=20
  <BR>&gt; see any reason not to, but wanted to let you take a look&nbsp;=
 and=20
  give me some <BR>&gt; thoughts. Thanks in advance.<BR>&gt; Steven=20
  Kingsbury<BR>&gt; BN1 #598<BR>&gt;&nbsp; <BR>&gt;&nbsp; <BR>&gt;=20
  <BR>&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <BR>&gt; Upper left,=
 chewed=20
  up&nbsp; edge, got caught in something. Maybe that's what <BR>&gt; broke=
 it.=20
  The&nbsp; remainder of it was chewed up bits in the bottom of the&nbsp;=
=20
  pan.<BR>&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>&gt; Pretty thick and very&nbsp; har=
d.=20
  Gear teeth marks, from?&nbsp; Stumper.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;=20
<BR><BR></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>
--part1_442936.7c25e067.43a79fdf_boundary--

--===============6150391710764345824==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6150391710764345824==--

---

From: Larry Varley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 17:35:40 +1100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============1265602539859615781==
 boundary="------------070408040904040009070704"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------070408040904040009070704
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Greg is on the money, its the rubber timing chain pensioner gone hard 
and broken up.
Cheers
Larry Varley

On 20/12/2015 2:03 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> I've got an early BN1 and from everything I know, the oil pan has 
> never been off the car. I find that hard to believe, but I have no 
> record of it ever happening and I have receipts going back to it's 
> first oil change. Anyway, I just took the pan off and found something 
> very interesting, in the bottom of the pan and it was in pieces. I 
> took it out, cleaned it off and took some photos of it to see if 
> anyone knows what this is. Neither my mechanic or I could find 
> anywhere it was "supposed" to go. I do know I've run more than tens 
> years with it sitting in the bottom of the pan and never a problem.
>     It's about 5" in diameter and in-between 1/8" and 1/4"in 
> thickness. (Piston is from a BN1)  So what's the wisdom of the court? 
> What the hell is this? Oh and it's made out of either a very hard 
> plastic or a bakelight like material. Anybody have a guess? I'd love 
> to hear.
>     I'm putting everything back together and going to drive the car, 
> don't see any reason not to, but wanted to let you take a look and 
> give me some thoughts. Thanks in advance.
> Steven Kingsbury
> BN1 #598
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Version: 2016.0.7294 / Virus Database: 4489/11213 - Release Date: 12/19/15
>

--------------070408040904040009070704
 boundary="------------050906080603070201060409"

--------------050906080603070201060409
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    Greg is on the money, its the rubber timing chain pensioner gone
    hard and broken up.<br>
    Cheers<br>
    Larry Varley <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 20/12/2015 2:03 PM,
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote cite="mid:[email-masked]" type="cite">
      <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
        http-equiv="Content-Type">
      <font id="role_document" color="#000000" size="2" face="Arial">
        <div>I've got an early BN1 and from everything I know, the oil
          pan has never been off the car. I find that hard to believe,
          but I have no record of it ever happening and I have receipts
          going back to it's first oil change. Anyway, I just took the
          pan off and found something very interesting, in the bottom of
          the pan and it was in pieces. I took it out, cleaned it off
          and took some photos of it to see if anyone knows what this
          is. Neither my mechanic or I could find anywhere it was
          "supposed" to go. I do know I've run more than tens years with
          it sitting in the bottom of the pan and never a problem.</div>
        <div>    It's about 5" in diameter and in-between 1/8" and
          1/4"in thickness. (Piston is from a BN1)  So what's the wisdom
          of the court? What the hell is this? Oh and it's made out of
          either a very hard plastic or a bakelight like material.
          Anybody have a guess? I'd love to hear. </div>
        <div>    I'm putting everything back together and going to drive
          the car, don't see any reason not to, but wanted to let you
          take a look and give me some thoughts. Thanks in advance.</div>
        <div>Steven Kingsbury</div>
        <div>BN1 #598</div>
        <div> </div>
        <div>
          <div> </div>
          <div id="role_album">
            <table id="role_outline" cols="1" align="center" border="0"
              cellspacing="0">
              <tbody>
                <tr>
                  <td id="role_picture" style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px;
                    PADDING-TOP: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-RIGHT:
                    2px" align="center" valign="top">
                    <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
                      <tbody>
                        <tr>
                          <td align="center" valign="top"><img
                              src="cid:[email-masked]"
                              style="HEIGHT: 360px; WIDTH: 480px"
                              comp_state="speed" datasize="45173"
                              id="MA1.1450580575" border="0"
                              height="360" width="480"> </td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr>
                          <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 20px; PADDING-TOP:
                            5px" align="center">
                            <div id="role_caption" style="FONT-SIZE:
                              12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Upper left,
                              chewed up edge, got caught in something.
                              Maybe that's what broke it. The remainder
                              of it was chewed up bits in the bottom of
                              the pan.</div>
                          </td>
                        </tr>
                      </tbody>
                    </table>
                  </td>
                </tr>
                <tr>
                  <td id="role_picture" style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px;
                    PADDING-TOP: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-RIGHT:
                    2px" align="center" valign="top">
                    <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
                      <tbody>
                        <tr>
                          <td align="center" valign="top"><img
                              src="cid:[email-masked]"
                              style="HEIGHT: 360px; WIDTH: 480px"
                              comp_state="speed" datasize="44435"
                              id="MA2.1450580575" border="0"
                              height="360" width="480"> </td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr>
                          <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 20px; PADDING-TOP:
                            5px" align="center">
                            <div id="role_caption" style="FONT-SIZE:
                              12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Pretty thick
                              and very hard. Gear teeth marks, from?
                              Stumper.</div>
                          </td>
                        </tr>
                      </tbody>
                    </table>
                  </td>
                </tr>
              </tbody>
            </table>
          </div>
          <div> </div>
        </div>
      </font>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <p class="" avgcert""="" color="#000000" align="left">No virus
        found in this message.<br>
        Checked by AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com">www.avg.com</a><br>
        Version: 2016.0.7294 / Virus Database: 4489/11213 - Release
        Date: 12/19/15</p>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------050906080603070201060409
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

--------------050906080603070201060409
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

--------------050906080603070201060409--

--------------070408040904040009070704--

--===============1265602539859615781==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1265602539859615781==--