Subject: [Healeys] Steering question

From: Michael Oritt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 14:23:08 -0500

--===============1035145274458695022==

--001a1130d41c54fcb50527fa3dd3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I have a December, 1954 100.

My wife and I went out for an extended ride yesterday. She drove first and
though she does not have much experience with the car she is a quick study
and good thinker. After she had driven for perhaps 20 miles she commented
that the steering seemed go be "wandering" and required constant small
adjustments to keep the car going straight. She felt that the condition did
not start until after we had been driving for a while. I did not say
anything and thought to myself that she simply was not used to the car.

After about 50 miles we switched and--whether or not it was because of her
comment--I noticed that the car did in fact want to wander and I had to
stay on top of keeping the car from veering ever so slightly from left or
right of center. The situation remained the same for the balance of the
trip--about 150 or so miles in all till we came home.

Whether or not this is relevant--once the wheel is turned to set up for a
turn everything seems fine and the car holds a steady track through the
turn. It was only when the wheels were straight ahead that the issue
presented.

I decided to address this today and with the car in the garage I find that
there is virtually no play whatsoever in the steering--perhaps 1/2" or
less--whether the front wheels are on or off the ground.

=E2=80=8BThe "adjustment" procedure described in the manual for "later" 100=
's
simply tells me to loosen the lock nut, remove the cover plate and tighten
down the adjusting screw to remove play.  I am not finding a lot of
play--again 1/2" or less-whether the car is on the ground or in the
air--except when we are rolling.

I have, btw, checked for loose front wheel bearings by trying to wiggle the
front wheels both from side to side and back and forth and everything feels
just right.  Also I have observed the steering linkage from underneath and
when I push the wheels from lock to lock I see no looseness, etc. in the
end ball joints or the steering tie rods.

=E2=80=8BSuggestions will be appreciated....

Best--Michael Oritt=E2=80=8B

=E2=80=8B

--001a1130d41c54fcb50527fa3dd3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default"><font color=3D"#3333ff">I hav=
e a December, 1954 100. =C2=A0</font></div><div class=3D"gmail_default"><fo=
nt color=3D"#0000ff"><span style=3D"font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibr=
i,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250)"><br><=
/span></font></div><div class=3D"gmail_default"><font color=3D"#0000ff"><sp=
an style=3D"font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font=
-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250)">My wife and I went out for an=
 extended ride yesterday. She drove first and though she does not have much=
 experience with the car she is a quick study and good thinker. After she h=
ad driven for perhaps 20 miles she commented that the steering seemed go be=
 &quot;wandering&quot; and required constant small adjustments to keep the =
car going straight. She felt that the condition did not start until after w=
e had been driving for a while.</span><span style=3D"font-family:Verdana,Ar=
ial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(25=
0,250,250)">=C2=A0</span></font><span style=3D"font-family:Verdana,Arial,Ta=
homa,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px;color:rgb(0,0,255);background=
-color:rgb(250,250,250)">I did not say anything and thought to myself that =
she simply was not used to the car.=C2=A0</span></div><div class=3D"gmail_d=
efault"><span style=3D"font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans=
-serif;font-size:13px;color:rgb(0,0,255);background-color:rgb(250,250,250)"=
><br></span></div><div class=3D"gmail_default"><span style=3D"font-family:V=
erdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px;color:rgb(0,0,=
255);background-color:rgb(250,250,250)">After about 50 miles we switched an=
d--whether or not it was because of her comment--I noticed that the car did=
 in fact want to wander and I had to stay on top of keeping the car from ve=
ering ever so slightly from left or right of center. The situation remained=
 the same for the balance of the trip--about 150 or so miles in all till we=
 came home.</span></div><font color=3D"#0000ff"><br style=3D"font-family:Ve=
rdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-colo=
r:rgb(250,250,250)"><span style=3D"font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri=
,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250)">Whethe=
r or not this is relevant--once the wheel is turned to set up for a turn ev=
erything seems fine and the car holds a steady track through the turn. It w=
as only when the wheels were straight ahead that the issue presented.</span=
><br style=3D"font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;fo=
nt-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250)"><br style=3D"font-family:Ve=
rdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-colo=
r:rgb(250,250,250)"><span style=3D"font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri=
,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250)">I deci=
ded to address this today and with the car in the garage I find that there =
is virtually no play whatsoever in the steering--perhaps 1/2&quot; or less-=
-whether the front wheels are on or off the ground.=C2=A0</span></font><div=
><font color=3D"#0000ff"><span style=3D"font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Ca=
libri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250)"><=
br></span></font></div><div><font color=3D"#0000ff"><span style=3D"font-fam=
ily:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px;backgroun=
d-color:rgb(250,250,250)"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:rgb(5=
1,51,255);display:inline">=E2=80=8BThe &quot;adjustment&quot; procedure des=
cribed in the manual for &quot;later&quot; 100&#39;s simply tells me to loo=
sen the lock nut, remove the cover plate and tighten down the adjusting scr=
ew to remove play.=C2=A0 I am not finding a lot of play--again 1/2&quot; or=
 less-whether the car is on the ground or in the air--except when we are ro=
lling.</div></span></font></div><div><font color=3D"#0000ff"><span style=3D=
"font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px;=
background-color:rgb(250,250,250)"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"co=
lor:rgb(51,51,255);display:inline"><br></div></span></font></div><div><font=
 color=3D"#0000ff"><span style=3D"font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,=
Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250)"><div cl=
ass=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:rgb(51,51,255);display:inline">I have,=
 btw, checked for loose front wheel bearings by trying to wiggle the front =
wheels both from side to side and back and forth and everything feels just =
right.=C2=A0 Also I have observed the steering linkage from underneath and =
when I push the wheels from lock to lock I see no looseness, etc. in the en=
d ball joints or the steering tie rods.</div></span></font></div><div><font=
 color=3D"#0000ff"><span style=3D"font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,=
Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250)"><div cl=
ass=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:rgb(51,51,255);display:inline"><br></d=
iv></span></font></div><div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:rgb=
(51,51,255)">=E2=80=8BSuggestions will be appreciated....</div><div class=
=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:rgb(51,51,255)"><br></div><div class=3D"g=
mail_default" style=3D"color:rgb(51,51,255)">Best--Michael Oritt=E2=80=8B</=
div><br></div><div><font color=3D"#0000ff"><span style=3D"font-family:Verda=
na,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:r=
gb(250,250,250)"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:rgb(51,51,255)=
;display:inline">=E2=80=8B</div><br></span></font></div></div>

--001a1130d41c54fcb50527fa3dd3--

--===============1035145274458695022==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============1035145274458695022==--

---

From: Andy Thorp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 19:58:57 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Michael,

Having the wheels toe-out a little will do this and it is easy to check.

You'll need two dead straight poles about eight feet long each and some cable ties. Roll the car forwards on a flat surface until you know the wheels are settled then cable tie the poles to the wheel spokes so they touch the tire sidewalls and point forwards in front of the car under the valence. The poles should angle towards each other 1/8" for every two ft length or so if the alignment is ok. If they are angled outwards then you can wind the adjustment rod in a little.

Check the tightness of your front shock mounts too as any change in geometry there will change the toe.

Andy.

--------------------------------------------
On Tue, 29/12/15, Michael Oritt <[email-masked]> wrote:

 Subject: [Healeys] Steering question
 To: "Austin Healey" <[email-masked]>
 Received: Tuesday, 29 December, 2015, 8:23 AM
 
 I
 have a December, 1954 100.  
 My
 wife and I went out for an extended ride yesterday. She
 drove first and though she does not have much experience
 with the car she is a quick study and good thinker. After
 she had driven for perhaps 20 miles she commented that the
 steering seemed go be "wandering" and required
 constant small adjustments to keep the car going straight.
 She felt that the condition did not start until after we had
 been driving for a while. I
 did not say anything and thought to myself that she simply
 was not used to the car. 
 After
 about 50 miles we switched and--whether or not it was
 because of her comment--I noticed that the car did in fact
 want to wander and I had to stay on top of keeping the car
 from veering ever so slightly from left or right of center.
 The situation remained the same for the balance of the
 trip--about 150 or so miles in all till we came
 home.
 Whether
 or not this is relevant--once the wheel is turned to set up
 for a turn everything seems fine and the car holds a steady
 track through the turn. It was only when the wheels were
 straight ahead that the issue presented.
 
 I
 decided to address this today and with the car in the garage
 I find that there is virtually no play whatsoever in the
 steering--perhaps 1/2" or less--whether the front
 wheels are on or off the ground. 
 ​The
 "adjustment" procedure described in the manual for
 "later" 100's simply tells me to loosen the
 lock nut, remove the cover plate and tighten down the
 adjusting screw to remove play.  I am not finding a lot of
 play--again 1/2" or less-whether the car is on the
 ground or in the air--except when we are
 rolling.
 I have, btw,
 checked for loose front wheel bearings by trying to wiggle
 the front wheels both from side to side and back and forth
 and everything feels just right.  Also I have observed the
 steering linkage from underneath and when I push the wheels
 from lock to lock I see no looseness, etc. in the end ball
 joints or the steering tie
 rods.
 ​Suggestions will be
 appreciated....
 Best--Michael Oritt​
 ​
 
 -----Inline Attachment Follows-----
 
 _______________________________________________
 Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
 Suggested annual donation  $12.75
 Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
 Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
 
 [email-masked]
 
 Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
 
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: Tom Felts <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 15:43:49 -0500

I put corn head grease in mine.

---- Michael Oritt <[email-masked]> wrote: 

=============
All--

Thanks for the good suggestions.  After reading Joseph's I did a quick
check on the shocks and found I could tighten the upper shock mounts about
one flat (I have Putske's Bilstein shocks mounted) but to be on the safe
side I will give the entire front end a good nut and bolt before ruling
anything out.

I am running about 27 psi on the Michelin XAS's and I will also check toe
as per Dave Porter's suggestion.

In the meantime it has been quite a while since I have checked the fluid
level in the steering box and I ran out of time to check it today as  I
must move the cold air hose in order to get to it.  What is the preferred
lubricant for a box that has not shown any signs of leakage?

Best--Michael Oritt

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 2:52 PM, David Porter <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Wander is generally an issue with the toe-in/out. Check the tie toe ends
> for excessive wear..
> happy new year from Snippy..
>
>
> On 12/28/2015 12:23 PM, Michael Oritt wrote:
>
> ​The "adjustment" procedure described in the manual for "later" 100's
> I have, btw, checked for loose front wheel bearings by trying to wiggle
> the front wheels both from side to side and back and forth and everything
> feels just right.  Also I have observed the steering linkage from
> underneath and when I push the wheels from lock to lock I see no looseness,
> etc. in the end ball joints or the steering tie rods.
>
> ​ Suggestions will be appreciated....
>
> Best--Michael Oritt​
>
> ​
>
>
>
> [email-masked]://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
> --
> Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 87107
> 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Tom Felts <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 9:27:34 -0500

same method with the corn head grease.

---- BJ8Healeys <[email-masked]> wrote: 

=============
I have used Penrite for many years now after a leak developed in my steering box while using 90W oil.  The Penrite stopped the leak and it has not re-occurred since.

Before adding Penrite to the 'box, I warm the container with a hair dryer.  I have a large (about 3/4" diameter) plastic hypodermic/syringe tool that makes it much easier to fill or top up the 'box without getting the stuff all over the place.  No idea where this tool came from, but I know I didn't buy it.  

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large

Havelock, NC USA

From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bruce Steele
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 11:18 AM
To: 'i erbs'; 'Michael Oritt'
Cc: 'Ahealey help'
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering question

And pumping in the Penright can be a challenge.  I had the tube come adrift under pressure and blew the thick oil all over the surrounding area.  May hours and several boxes of Q-Tips later I was still finding little globs of the stuff.

Bruce Steele

Brea, CA

1960 BN7

From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of i erbs
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2015 12:31 PM
To: Michael Oritt <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ahealey help <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering question

I switched to Penright oil to stop it from leaking and it really improved the steering response too. You need to pump it as it is very thick and will not pour.

Mr. Ira Erbs
Portland,OR

On Dec 28, 2015 12:19 PM, "Michael Oritt" <[email-masked]> wrote:

All--

Thanks for the good suggestions.  After reading Joseph's I did a quick check on the shocks and found I could tighten the upper shock mounts about one flat (I have Putske's Bilstein shocks mounted) but to be on the safe side I will give the entire front end a good nut and bolt before ruling anything out.

I am running about 27 psi on the Michelin XAS's and I will also check toe as per Dave Porter's suggestion.

In the meantime it has been quite a while since I have checked the fluid level in the steering box and I ran out of time to check it today as  I must move the cold air hose in order to get to it.  What is the preferred lubricant for a box that has not shown any signs of leakage?

Best--Michael Oritt  

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 2:52 PM, David Porter <[email-masked]> wrote:

Wander is generally an issue with the toe-in/out. Check the tie toe ends for excessive wear..
happy new year from Snippy..

My wife and I went out for an extended ride yesterday. She drove first and though she does not have much experience with the car she is a quick study and good thinker. After she had driven for perhaps 20 miles she commented that the steering seemed go be "wandering" and required constant small adjustments to keep the car going straight. She felt that the condition did not start until after we had been driving for a while. I did not say anything and thought to myself that she simply was not used to the car. 

After about 50 miles we switched and--whether or not it was because of her comment--I noticed that the car did in fact want to wander and I had to stay on top of keeping the car from veering ever so slightly from left or right of center. The situation remained the same for the balance of the trip--about 150 or so miles in all till we came home.

Whether or not this is relevant--once the wheel is turned to set up for a turn everything seems fine and the car holds a steady track through the turn. It was only when the wheels were straight ahead that the issue presented.

I decided to address this today and with the car in the garage I find that there is virtually no play whatsoever in the steering--perhaps 1/2" or less--whether the front wheels are on or off the ground.  

​The "adjustment" procedure described in the manual for "later" 100's simply tells me to loosen the lock nut, remove the cover plate and tighten down the adjusting screw to remove play.  I am not finding a lot of play--again 1/2" or less-whether the car is on the ground or in the air--except when we are rolling.

I have, btw, checked for loose front wheel bearings by trying to wiggle the front wheels both from side to side and back and forth and everything feels just right.  Also I have observed the steering linkage from underneath and when I push the wheels from lock to lock I see no looseness, etc. in the end ball joints or the steering tie rods.

Best--Michael Oritt​

​

 
[email-masked]

 

-- 
Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/ 

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]