Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: Tri Carb Question

From: Wilko2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 17:19:57 -0800

--===============6819507137894699740==

--Apple-Mail-31-413078763
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

I can't tell by your pics... Is that car right hand drive? If left hand, =
how much clearance did you get for that rear carb and the steer tube?

Thanks,
Rick

On Dec 1, 2015, at 1:49 PM, Simon Lachlan wrote:

> Sorry to bomb you all out with this. Have been trying to get it to =
Olin but keeps getting bounced. With fewer or even without attachments.
> Simon
> =20
> =20
> Olin,
> Hi. Yes, there was quite considerable modification. But nothing too =
difficult.
> I went to a place nearby where they take old Jag saloons and modernize =
them with PI etcetc. So, they had a load of HD6s sitting around, more or =
less as scrap!
> 1)      I bought 3 rebuild kits from Midel  in Australia. Stripped the =
carbs down and rebuilt them. I was lucky; they were not worn and came =
out like new functionally.
> 2)      I bored(?) out the 3 inlet manifolds from 1.5=94 to 1.75=94. =
Have to be careful as that=92s as far as you can go. Flap wheels and a =
good gauge...patience and no rushing.
> 3)      I put the carbs on the manifolds and bolted them onto the =
engine.
> 4)      I sort of waved the original linkages at the setup to see =
where it wouldn=92t fit and put my thinking cap on.
> 5)      I went back to the Jag shop and got a whole lot of linkage =
bits......a few of these, a few of those and some of the other.
> 6)      I got some brass rod that was just right for the little =
concertina-like link pieces.
> 7)      I was thus able to get some synchronicity/linkage.
> 8)      I was able to use the BT7 accelerator linkage.
> 9)      I was able to cobble up a choke connection for the 3 carbs, =
but disconnected one as it was struggling.
> 10)   I was able to use the heat shield, albeit after it was machined =
out.
> 11)   I was able to use the air filters (French actually). Again the =
back plates had to be machined out and the LHS one had to be offset.
> 12)   I was able to use 2 out of 3 of the return springs. That was =
plenty.
> 13)   Played around a bit, but it came right pretty easily.
> 14)   Green springs, CV needles.
> =20
> I did give it a lot of thought before and during, but it wasn=92t =
difficult.
> Here are some pics. Quite big files so I hope they won=92t stuff up =
your system! But, if you get them, you=92ll be able to blow them up =
quite large for a detailed look. Also a summary posted at the time.
> If you do this conversion keep in touch.
> Now I=92m into Webers.
> Do let me know how you get on....if you go for it!
> Simon
> =20

--Apple-Mail-31-413078763
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

<html><head><base href=3D"x-msg://231/"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; ">I can't tell by your pics... Is that car right hand =
drive? If left hand, how much clearance did you get for that rear carb =
and the steer =
tube?<div><br></div><div>Thanks,</div><div>Rick</div><div><br></div><div><=
br></div><div><br><div><div>On Dec 1, 2015, at 1:49 PM, Simon Lachlan =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: =
separate; font-family: Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: =
normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: =
normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; font-size: medium; "><div =
lang=3D"EN-GB" link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div =
class=3D"WordSection1" style=3D"page: WordSection1; "><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; =
margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif; "><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">Sorry to bomb =
you all out with this. Have been trying to get it to Olin but keeps =
getting bounced. With fewer or even without =
attachments.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; "><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, =
73, 125); ">Simon<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; "><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, =
73, 125); "><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; "><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; =
margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif; "><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); =
">Olin,<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; "><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, =
73, 125); ">Hi. Yes, there was quite considerable modification. But =
nothing too difficult.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: =
0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; "><span style=3D"color:=
 rgb(31, 73, 125); ">I went to a place nearby where they take old Jag =
saloons and modernize them with PI etcetc. So, they had a load of HD6s =
sitting around, more or less as scrap!<o:p></o:p></span></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 36pt; =
margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif; text-indent: -18pt; "><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, =
125); "><span>1)<span style=3D"font: normal normal normal 7pt/normal =
'Times New Roman'; ">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span></span></span><span =
style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">I bought 3 rebuild kits from Midel =
&nbsp;in Australia. Stripped the carbs down and rebuilt them. I was =
lucky; they were not worn and came out like new =
functionally.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 36pt; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; text-indent: -18pt; =
"><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); "><span>2)<span style=3D"font: =
normal normal normal 7pt/normal 'Times New Roman'; =
">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span></span></span><span =
style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">I bored(?) out the 3 inlet manifolds =
from 1.5=94 to 1.75=94. Have to be careful as that=92s as far as you can =
go. Flap wheels and a good gauge...patience and no =
rushing.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 36pt; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; text-indent: -18pt; =
"><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); "><span>3)<span style=3D"font: =
normal normal normal 7pt/normal 'Times New Roman'; =
">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span></span></span><span =
style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">I put the carbs on the manifolds and =
bolted them onto the engine.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 36pt; =
margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif; text-indent: -18pt; "><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, =
125); "><span>4)<span style=3D"font: normal normal normal 7pt/normal =
'Times New Roman'; ">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span></span></span><span =
style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">I sort of waved the original =
linkages at the setup to see where it wouldn=92t fit and put my thinking =
cap on.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 36pt; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; text-indent: -18pt; =
"><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); "><span>5)<span style=3D"font: =
normal normal normal 7pt/normal 'Times New Roman'; =
">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span></span></span><span =
style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">I went back to the Jag shop and got =
a whole lot of linkage bits......a few of these, a few of those and some =
of the other.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 36pt; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; text-indent: -18pt; =
"><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); "><span>6)<span style=3D"font: =
normal normal normal 7pt/normal 'Times New Roman'; =
">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span></span></span><span =
style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">I got some brass rod that was just =
right for the little concertina-like link =
pieces.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 36pt; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; text-indent: -18pt; =
"><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); "><span>7)<span style=3D"font: =
normal normal normal 7pt/normal 'Times New Roman'; =
">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span></span></span><span =
style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">I was thus able to get some =
synchronicity/linkage.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: =
0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 36pt; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; text-indent: -18pt; =
"><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); "><span>8)<span style=3D"font: =
normal normal normal 7pt/normal 'Times New Roman'; =
">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span></span></span><span =
style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">I was able to use the BT7 =
accelerator linkage.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: =
0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 36pt; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; text-indent: -18pt; =
"><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); "><span>9)<span style=3D"font: =
normal normal normal 7pt/normal 'Times New Roman'; =
">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span></span></span><span =
style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">I was able to cobble up a choke =
connection for the 3 carbs, but disconnected one as it was =
struggling.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 36pt; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; text-indent: -18pt; =
"><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); "><span>10)<span style=3D"font: =
normal normal normal 7pt/normal 'Times New Roman'; ">&nbsp;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span></span></span><span =
style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">I was able to use the heat shield, =
albeit after it was machined out.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 36pt; =
margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif; text-indent: -18pt; "><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, =
125); "><span>11)<span style=3D"font: normal normal normal 7pt/normal =
'Times New Roman'; ">&nbsp;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span></span></span><span =
style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">I was able to use the air filters =
(French actually). Again the back plates had to be machined out and the =
LHS one had to be offset.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top:=
 0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 36pt; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; text-indent: -18pt; =
"><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); "><span>12)<span style=3D"font: =
normal normal normal 7pt/normal 'Times New Roman'; ">&nbsp;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span></span></span><span =
style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">I was able to use 2 out of 3 of the =
return springs. That was plenty.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 36pt; =
margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif; text-indent: -18pt; "><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, =
125); "><span>13)<span style=3D"font: normal normal normal 7pt/normal =
'Times New Roman'; ">&nbsp;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span></span></span><span =
style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">Played around a bit, but it came =
right pretty easily.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: =
0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 36pt; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; text-indent: -18pt; =
"><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); "><span>14)<span style=3D"font: =
normal normal normal 7pt/normal 'Times New Roman'; ">&nbsp;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span></span></span><span =
style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">Green springs, CV =
needles.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 18pt; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; "><span style=3D"color:=
 rgb(31, 73, 125); "><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 18pt; =
margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif; "><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">I did give it a =
lot of thought before and during, but it wasn=92t =
difficult.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; "><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, =
73, 125); ">Here are some pics. Quite big files so I hope they won=92t =
stuff up your system! But, if you get them, you=92ll be able to blow =
them up quite large for a detailed look. Also a summary posted at the =
time.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; "><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, =
73, 125); ">If you do this conversion keep in =
touch.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; "><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, =
73, 125); ">Now I=92m into Webers.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; =
margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif; "><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">Do let me know =
how you get on....if you go for it!<o:p></o:p></span></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; =
margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif; "><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); =
">Simon<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; "><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, =
73, 125); =
"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></div></div></div></span></blockquote></div><br>=
</div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-31-413078763--

--===============6819507137894699740==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============6819507137894699740==--

---

From: Wilko2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 17:36:29 -0800

--===============0031500884623794312==

--Apple-Mail-32-414070867
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

Here's a set of tri-carb manifolds bored out to 1.75" along with the =
wider balance pipe. Works style stainless steel headers.

Rick

--Apple-Mail-32-414070867
	type="text/html";
	boundary=Apple-Mail-33-414070868

--Apple-Mail-33-414070868
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

<html><head><base href=3D"x-msg://236/"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; "><div>Here's a set of tri-carb manifolds bored out =
to 1.75" along with the wider balance pipe. Works style stainless steel =
headers.</div><div><img height=3D"574" width=3D"784" apple-width=3D"yes" =
apple-height=3D"yes" id=3D"572b6549-2358-4612-bcff-29beed235e40" =
src=3D"cid:18902591-FCA0-4450-8041-2F87BACABD64"></div><div>Rick</div><br>=
<div><div>On Dec 1, 2015, at 1:49 PM, Simon Lachlan wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div =
lang=3D"EN-GB" link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div =
class=3D"WordSection1" style=3D"page: WordSection1; "><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; =
margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif; "><font class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
color=3D"#1f497d"><br></font></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0cm; =
margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 36pt; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; text-indent: -18pt; =
"><span style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); "><span>2)<span style=3D"font: =
normal normal normal 7pt/normal 'Times New Roman'; =
">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span></span></span><span =
style=3D"color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">I bored(?) out the 3 inlet manifolds =
from 1.5=94 to 1.75=94. Have to be careful as that=92s as far as you can =
go. Flap wheels and a good gauge...patience and no =
rushing.<o:p></o:p></span></div></div></div></blockquote></div><br></body>=
</html>=

--Apple-Mail-33-414070868
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: inline;
	filename=triple_manifolds_175.jpg
	x-mac-type=4A504547;
	x-mac-creator=3842494D;
	x-unix-mode=0644;
	name="triple_manifolds_175.jpg"
Content-Id: <18902591-FCA0-4450-8041-2F87BACABD64>

--Apple-Mail-33-414070868--

--Apple-Mail-32-414070867--

--===============0031500884623794312==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0031500884623794312==--