Subject: [Healeys] FW: Tri Carb Question

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 21:49:11 -0000 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_001E_01D12C82.1E591420"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01D12C82.1E591420
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_001F_01D12C82.1E591420"

------=_NextPart_001_001F_01D12C82.1E591420
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Sorry to bomb you all out with this. Have been trying to get it to Olin but
keeps getting bounced. With fewer or even without attachments.

Simon

Olin,

Hi. Yes, there was quite considerable modification. But nothing too
difficult.

I went to a place nearby where they take old Jag saloons and modernize them
with PI etcetc. So, they had a load of HD6s sitting around, more or less as
scrap!

1)      I bought 3 rebuild kits from Midel  in Australia. Stripped the carbs
down and rebuilt them. I was lucky; they were not worn and came out like new
functionally.

2)      I bored(?) out the 3 inlet manifolds from 1.5" to 1.75". Have to be
careful as that's as far as you can go. Flap wheels and a good
gauge...patience and no rushing.

3)      I put the carbs on the manifolds and bolted them onto the engine.

4)      I sort of waved the original linkages at the setup to see where it
wouldn't fit and put my thinking cap on.

5)      I went back to the Jag shop and got a whole lot of linkage
bits......a few of these, a few of those and some of the other.

6)      I got some brass rod that was just right for the little
concertina-like link pieces.

7)      I was thus able to get some synchronicity/linkage.

8)      I was able to use the BT7 accelerator linkage.

9)      I was able to cobble up a choke connection for the 3 carbs, but
disconnected one as it was struggling.

10)   I was able to use the heat shield, albeit after it was machined out.

11)   I was able to use the air filters (French actually). Again the back
plates had to be machined out and the LHS one had to be offset.

12)   I was able to use 2 out of 3 of the return springs. That was plenty.

13)   Played around a bit, but it came right pretty easily. 

14)   Green springs, CV needles.

I did give it a lot of thought before and during, but it wasn't difficult.

Here are some pics. Quite big files so I hope they won't stuff up your
system! But, if you get them, you'll be able to blow them up quite large for
a detailed look. Also a summary posted at the time.

If you do this conversion keep in touch. 

Now I'm into Webers.

Do let me know how you get on....if you go for it!

Simon

------=_NextPart_001_001F_01D12C82.1E591420
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoAcetate, li.MsoAcetate, div.MsoAcetate
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text Char";
	margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:8.0pt;
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
p.MsoListParagraph, li.MsoListParagraph, div.MsoListParagraph
	{mso-style-priority:34;
	margin-top:0cm;
	margin-right:0cm;
	margin-bottom:0cm;
	margin-left:36.0pt;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
span.BalloonTextChar
	{mso-style-name:"Balloon Text Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text";
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
span.EmailStyle20
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;}
span.EmailStyle21
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle22
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle23
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle24
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
/* List Definitions */
@list l0
	{mso-list-id:1405496668;
	mso-list-type:hybrid;
	mso-list-template-ids:-1200298030 134807569 134807577 134807579 =
134807567 134807577 134807579 134807567 134807577 134807579;}
@list l0:level1
	{mso-level-text:"%1\)";
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level2
	{mso-level-tab-stop:72.0pt;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level3
	{mso-level-tab-stop:108.0pt;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level4
	{mso-level-tab-stop:144.0pt;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level5
	{mso-level-tab-stop:180.0pt;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level6
	{mso-level-tab-stop:216.0pt;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level7
	{mso-level-tab-stop:252.0pt;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level8
	{mso-level-tab-stop:288.0pt;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l0:level9
	{mso-level-tab-stop:324.0pt;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-18.0pt;}
ol
	{margin-bottom:0cm;}
ul
	{margin-bottom:0cm;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Sorry to bomb you all =
out with this. Have been trying to get it to Olin but keeps getting =
bounced. With fewer or even without attachments.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Simon<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Olin,<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Hi. Yes, there was quite =
considerable modification. But nothing too =
difficult.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I went to a place nearby where they take old Jag =
saloons and modernize them with PI etcetc. So, they had a load of HD6s =
sitting around, more or less as scrap!<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 =
lfo2'><![if !supportLists]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'><span =
style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>1)<span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span></span><![endif]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I bought 3 =
rebuild kits from Midel &nbsp;in Australia. Stripped the carbs down and =
rebuilt them. I was lucky; they were not worn and came out like new =
functionally.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo2'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'><span =
style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>2)<span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span></span><![endif]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I bored(?) =
out the 3 inlet manifolds from 1.5&#8221; to 1.75&#8221;. Have to be =
careful as that&#8217;s as far as you can go. Flap wheels and a good =
gauge...patience and no rushing.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 =
lfo2'><![if !supportLists]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'><span =
style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>3)<span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span></span><![endif]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I put the =
carbs on the manifolds and bolted them onto the =
engine.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo2'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'><span =
style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>4)<span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span></span><![endif]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I sort of =
waved the original linkages at the setup to see where it wouldn&#8217;t =
fit and put my thinking cap on.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 =
lfo2'><![if !supportLists]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'><span =
style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>5)<span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span></span><![endif]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I went back =
to the Jag shop and got a whole lot of linkage bits......a few of these, =
a few of those and some of the other.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 =
lfo2'><![if !supportLists]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'><span =
style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>6)<span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span></span><![endif]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I got some =
brass rod that was just right for the little concertina-like link =
pieces.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo2'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'><span =
style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>7)<span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span></span><![endif]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I was thus =
able to get some synchronicity/linkage.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 =
lfo2'><![if !supportLists]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'><span =
style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>8)<span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span></span><![endif]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I was able =
to use the BT7 accelerator linkage.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 =
lfo2'><![if !supportLists]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'><span =
style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>9)<span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span></span><![endif]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I was able =
to cobble up a choke connection for the 3 carbs, but disconnected one as =
it was struggling.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo2'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'><span =
style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>10)<span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><![endif]><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I was able to use the heat shield, albeit after =
it was machined out.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo2'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'><span =
style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>11)<span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><![endif]><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I was able to use the air filters (French =
actually). Again the back plates had to be machined out and the LHS one =
had to be offset.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo2'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'><span =
style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>12)<span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><![endif]><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I was able to use 2 out of 3 of the return =
springs. That was plenty.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoListParagraph style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 =
lfo2'><![if !supportLists]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'><span =
style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>13)<span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><![endif]><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Played around a bit, but it came right pretty =
easily. <o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo2'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'><span =
style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>14)<span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><![endif]><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Green springs, CV =
needles.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-left:18.0pt'><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-left:18.0pt'><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I did give it =
a lot of thought before and during, but it wasn&#8217;t =
difficult.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Here are some pics. Quite big files so I hope =
they won&#8217;t stuff up your system! But, if you get them, =
you&#8217;ll be able to blow them up quite large for a detailed look. =
Also a summary posted at the time.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>If you do this =
conversion keep in touch. <o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Now I&#8217;m into =
Webers.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Do let me know how you get on....if you go for =
it!<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Simon<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_001_001F_01D12C82.1E591420--

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01D12C82.1E591420
	name="Fuel filter.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="Fuel filter.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01D12C82.1E591420
	name="HD6s 1.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="HD6s 1.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01D12C82.1E591420
	name="HD6s 2.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="HD6s 2.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01D12C82.1E591420
	name="HD6s 3.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="HD6s 3.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01D12C82.1E591420
	name="HD6s 4.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="HD6s 4.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01D12C82.1E591420
	name="HD6s 5.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="HD6s 5.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01D12C82.1E591420
	name="3 HD6s into a MkII BT7 2.doc"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="3 HD6s into a MkII BT7 2.doc"
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------=_NextPart_000_001E_01D12C82.1E591420
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01D12C82.1E591420--