Subject: [Healeys] Steering box leak

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 10:00:04 -0000

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============2448427464900952229==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0067_01D1421F.B2D04CB0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0067_01D1421F.B2D04CB0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi, and hoping Christmas/New Year is going well,

Coincidentally, while the steering box oil thread reared its ugly head
again, I'd had to reinstall my trafficator head.

My car is a MkII BT7 with a non-adjustable steering column.

Anyhow - don't ask me how - I'd managed to cock up the wiring when I
installed it a couple of weeks ago. I got the wiring right this time. No
problem.

But, oil seeped out of the steering box while I was doing the wiring. It
cunningly overbalanced the cut down plastic box that I'd hoped to catch it
in and went all over the garage floor..AGAIN.

Is there a way to avoid the leakage without pulling the stator out and
replacing it with a bit of rod?

It's a question of the worst of two evils....which is worse? Getting the
wiring back down the tube or cleaning up the mess?

(And I've got the hardtop on the car and didn't want to have to take that
off in order to pull the tube out!)

This time, it's done. I'll clear up the mess AGAIN. (It's mostly on a
waterproof cloth that serves as a giant drip tray). And I'll fill up the box
AGAIN.

Just so I can make it easier next time.................?

Simon

------=_NextPart_000_0067_01D1421F.B2D04CB0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>Hi, and =
hoping Christmas/New Year is going well,<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Coincidentally, while the steering box oil thread =
reared its ugly head again, I&#8217;d had to reinstall my trafficator =
head.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>My car is a MkII BT7 with a =
non-adjustable steering column.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Anyhow &#8211; don&#8217;t ask me how &#8211; =
I&#8217;d managed to cock up the wiring when I installed it a couple of =
weeks ago. I got the wiring right this time. No =
problem.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>But, oil seeped out of the =
steering box while I was doing the wiring. It cunningly overbalanced the =
cut down plastic box that I&#8217;d hoped to catch it in and went all =
over the garage floor..AGAIN.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Is =
there a way to avoid the leakage without pulling the stator out and =
replacing it with a bit of rod?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>It&#8217;s a question of the worst of two =
evils....which is worse? Getting the wiring back down the tube or =
cleaning up the mess?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>(And I&#8217;ve =
got the hardtop on the car and didn&#8217;t want to have to take that =
off in order to pull the tube out!)<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>This time, it&#8217;s done. I&#8217;ll clear up the =
mess AGAIN. (It&#8217;s mostly on a waterproof cloth that serves as a =
giant drip tray). And I&#8217;ll fill up the box AGAIN.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Just so I can make it easier next =
time.................?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Simon<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0067_01D1421F.B2D04CB0--

--===============2448427464900952229==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============2448427464900952229==--

---

From: Tom Felts <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 9:25:38 -0500

Sorry for confusion.  I guess I was relating to the BJ8 box where all you do is unscrew the filler plug.

---- Simon Lachlan <[email-masked]> wrote: 

=============
Not sure you understood my email.
You have to pull the rod into the car in order to access the back of the trafficator. You don't have to pull all the tube out, just enough to enable one to unscrew the three BA screws that hold on the trafficator's back plate. However, in order to pull that much stator tube into the car, one has to undo the brass nut at the steering box. Once that is done, the oil comes out.
It's a solution to this quandary that I seek.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Felts [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 13:37
To: Simon Lachlan
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering box leak

why do you have to pull the rod to change oil?

---- Simon Lachlan <[email-masked]> wrote: 

=============

Coincidentally, while the steering box oil thread reared its ugly head again, I'd had to reinstall my trafficator head.

Anyhow - don't ask me how - I'd managed to cock up the wiring when I installed it a couple of weeks ago. I got the wiring right this time. No problem.

But, oil seeped out of the steering box while I was doing the wiring. It cunningly overbalanced the cut down plastic box that I'd hoped to catch it in and went all over the garage floor..AGAIN.

Is there a way to avoid the leakage without pulling the stator out and replacing it with a bit of rod?

It's a question of the worst of two evils....which is worse? Getting the wiring back down the tube or cleaning up the mess?

(And I've got the hardtop on the car and didn't want to have to take that off in order to pull the tube out!)

This time, it's done. I'll clear up the mess AGAIN. (It's mostly on a waterproof cloth that serves as a giant drip tray). And I'll fill up the box AGAIN.

Simon

[email-masked]