Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Rear Seat Pans

From: i erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 20:54:53 -0800

--===============8685034881689514771==

--047d7b6d81a01ad34e0527ee1b90

BN4 and BT7s have screws from the top.
Ira Erbs
59 BN4

On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 6:47 PM, George Haywood <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> Well sorry to tell you but there are four studs welded to the bottom of
> each seat pan that penetrate down through the rear seat deck and four nuts
> securing them in place.  The only access to remove the nuts is from
> underneath the car which to me is harder to get to than just pulling the
> right rear wheel and exposing the fuel pump for service.  I have seen some
> bj8's with chrome screws going down through the upholstered seat pans into
> the deck for easier access from above.  It just depends on what you like.
> I think the bj7's and earlier cars have the screws for removal of the pans
> but I'm not 100% sure of that.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> George Haywood
> '65 bj8
> ---- Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Listers,
> >
> > Believe it or not, I've never removed the rear seat pans on my BJ8. It
> struck me that this might be an easier way to R&R a fuel pump, and I need
> to get to the underside to replace the vinyl strips that seal the holes in
> the pans; anyone got an "Austin-Healey BJ8 Rear Seat Pans Removal for
> Dummies" guide?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Bob
> >
> > --------------------------------
> > Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
This
email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast.
www.avast.com
<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

--047d7b6d81a01ad34e0527ee1b90
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">BN4 and BT7s have screws from the top.<div>Ira Erbs</div><=
div>59 BN4<br><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On =
Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 6:47 PM, George Haywood <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;=
</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .=
8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi Bob,<br>
<br>
Well sorry to tell you but there are four studs welded to the bottom of eac=
h seat pan that penetrate down through the rear seat deck and four nuts sec=
uring them in place.=C2=A0 The only access to remove the nuts is from under=
neath the car which to me is harder to get to than just pulling the right r=
ear wheel and exposing the fuel pump for service.=C2=A0 I have seen some bj=
8&#39;s with chrome screws going down through the upholstered seat pans int=
o the deck for easier access from above.=C2=A0 It just depends on what you =
like.=C2=A0 I think the bj7&#39;s and earlier cars have the screws for remo=
val of the pans but I&#39;m not 100% sure of that.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps,<br>
<br>
George Haywood<br>
&#39;65 bj8<br>
<div><div class=3D"h5">---- Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comc=
ast.net">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Listers,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Believe it or not, I&#39;ve never removed the rear seat pans on my BJ8=
. It struck me that this might be an easier way to R&amp;R a fuel pump, and=
 I need to get to the underside to replace the vinyl strips that seal the h=
oles in the pans; anyone got an &quot;Austin-Healey BJ8 Rear Seat Pans Remo=
val for Dummies&quot; guide?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; TIA,<br>
&gt; Bob<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; --------------------------------<br>
&gt; Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA<br>
&gt;<br>
</div></div>_______________________________________________<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.te=
am.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div><br></div></div></div><div id=3D"DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8=
-4E2AA1F9FDF2"><table style=3D"border-top:1px solid #aaabb6;margin-top:10px=
">
	<tr>
		<td style=3D"width:105px;padding-top:15px">
			<a href=3D"https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=3Demail&amp;utm_so=
urce=3Dlink&amp;utm_campaign=3Dsig-email&amp;utm_content=3Dwebmail" target=
=3D"_blank"><img src=3D"https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/logo-avast-v1.png" =
style=3D"width: 90px; height:33px;"></a>
		</td>
		<td style=3D"width:470px;padding-top:20px;color:#41424e;font-size:13px;fo=
nt-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;line-height:18px">This email has been =
sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast. <br><a href=3D"https://=
www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=3Demail&amp;utm_source=3Dlink&amp;utm_ca=
mpaign=3Dsig-email&amp;utm_content=3Dwebmail" target=3D"_blank" style=3D"co=
lor:#4453ea">www.avast.com</a>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table><a href=3D"#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width=3D"1" heigh=
t=3D"1"></a></div>

--047d7b6d81a01ad34e0527ee1b90--

--===============8685034881689514771==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============8685034881689514771==--

---

From: "BJ8Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 09:07:58 -0500

Two or three of the studs on both pans broke off the first time I tried to
remove the nuts, so I'm one of those people who replaced the studs with the
screws from above.  For the nuts, I used "anchor nuts", which are riveted to
the seat structure and provide some "float" to make inserting the screws
easier.  It only takes a minute to pull a seat pan for access to the fuel
pumps (I have two), and I've found it also makes accessing the differential
fill plug easier, as well as the fuel filter that I have located under the
right seat near the pump.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
AHCA Delegate at Large
Havelock, NC  USA

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of George
Haywood
Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2015 9:47 PM
To: Bob Spidell; healey list
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Rear Seat Pans

Hi Bob,

Well sorry to tell you but there are four studs welded to the bottom of each
seat pan that penetrate down through the rear seat deck and four nuts
securing them in place.  The only access to remove the nuts is from
underneath the car which to me is harder to get to than just pulling the
right rear wheel and exposing the fuel pump for service.  I have seen some
bj8's with chrome screws going down through the upholstered seat pans into
the deck for easier access from above.  It just depends on what you like.  I
think the bj7's and earlier cars have the screws for removal of the pans but
I'm not 100% sure of that.

Hope this helps,

George Haywood
'65 bj8   
> Believe it or not, I've never removed the rear seat pans on my BJ8. It
struck me that this might be an easier way to R&R a fuel pump, and I need to
get to the underside to replace the vinyl strips that seal the holes in the
pans; anyone got an "Austin-Healey BJ8 Rear Seat Pans Removal for Dummies"
guide? 

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 15:24:13 +0000 (UTC)

--===============2505493452078460144==
	boundary="----=_Part_7817798_812628982.1451316253286"

------=_Part_7817798_812628982.1451316253286
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Thanks for the heads-up Steve. Sounds like lots of Kroil and maybe a little heat are called-for. 

How visible are the topside screws? Sounds almost like a worthwhile (premeditated) mod. My BJ8 is mostly original, but a Pertronix, spin-on oil filter adapter and the clutch slave cylinder bleeder extension have made life easier and, of course, they are fairly easily removed. 

Bob 

----- Original Message -----

Steve Byers 
HBJ8L/36666 
BJ8 Registry 
AHCA Delegate at Large 
Havelock, NC USA 

------=_Part_7817798_812628982.1451316253286
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body><div style=3D"font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt; color: #0000=
00"><div>Thanks for the heads-up Steve.&nbsp; Sounds like lots of Kroil and=
 maybe a little heat are called-for.<br></div><div><br></div><div>How visib=
le are the topside screws?&nbsp; Sounds almost like a worthwhile (premedita=
ted) mod.&nbsp; My BJ8 is mostly original, but a Pertronix, spin-on oil fil=
ter adapter and the clutch slave cylinder bleeder extension have made life =
easier and, of course, they are fairly easily removed.<br></div><div><br></=
div><div>Bob<br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><hr id=3D"zwchr"><div s=
tyle=3D"color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:non=
e;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"><br><div><br></di=
v>Two or three of the studs on both pans broke off the first time I tried t=
o<br>remove the nuts, so I'm one of those people who replaced the studs wit=
h the<br>screws from above. &nbsp;For the nuts, I used "anchor nuts", which=
 are riveted to<br>the seat structure and provide some "float" to make inse=
rting the screws<br>easier. &nbsp;It only takes a minute to pull a seat pan=
 for access to the fuel<br>pumps (I have two), and I've found it also makes=
 accessing the differential<br>fill plug easier, as well as the fuel filter=
 that I have located under the<br>right seat near the pump.<br><div><br></d=
iv>Steve Byers<br>HBJ8L/36666<br>BJ8 Registry<br>AHCA Delegate at Large<br>=
Havelock, NC &nbsp;USA<br><div><br></div><br style=3D"color:#000;font-weigh=
t:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial=
,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"></div></div></body></html>
------=_Part_7817798_812628982.1451316253286--

--===============2505493452078460144==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2505493452078460144==--