Subject: [Healeys] Toe In

From: "Roger Grace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 12:09:31 -0700 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_028D_01D0D29C.3F2E1460"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_028D_01D0D29C.3F2E1460
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_028E_01D0D29C.3F2E1460"

------=_NextPart_001_028E_01D0D29C.3F2E1460
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I had been fiddling with my steering rods so had to reset the toe in.
All a bit fiddly and wonder if the more experienced Listers have a =
different/better technique ... ??

This is what I do:
car level and front tire pressure balanced.
installed 2x al 1=E2=80=9D square tubing (sq for straightness) about =
27/28 in long for 165/15 tyres across the bottom of the wheels; about 6 =
in from the floor; tried to use bungy cords but in the end made a small =
retaining bracket that screws behind the spokes; made these 2 bars =
level; tightened just firm enough to stop movement.
marked the front and rear tire extremity on this bar.
bar cannot be higher as frame gets in the way of a tape measure for rear =
measurement.
measured front and rear distances at tire extremity to give about 3/32 =
toe in
I feel that the limitation of this method is that am trying to measure a =
relatively small distance over about 5 ft and the assumption that the =
tyre side walls are uniform.
Took at least 5 adjustment and measurements to get close =E2=80=93 of =
course the LH thread always fools me .. !!
Any ideas ?

Wonder how critical this toe in really is ?

rg
67 BJ8

------=_NextPart_001_028E_01D0D29C.3F2E1460
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; COLOR: =
#000000">
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; COLOR: =
#000000">
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; COLOR: =
#000000">
<DIV>I had been fiddling with my steering rods so had to reset the toe =
in.</DIV>
<DIV>All a bit fiddly and wonder if the more experienced Listers have a=20
different/better technique ... ??</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>This is what I do:</DIV>
<DIV>car level and front tire pressure balanced.</DIV>
<DIV>installed 2x al 1=E2=80=9D square tubing (sq for straightness) =
about 27/28 in long=20
for 165/15 tyres across the bottom of the wheels; about 6 in from the =
floor;=20
tried to use bungy cords but in the end made a small retaining bracket =
that=20
screws behind the spokes; made these 2 bars level; tightened just firm =
enough to=20
stop movement.</DIV>
<DIV>marked the front and rear tire extremity on this bar.</DIV>
<DIV>bar cannot be higher as frame gets in the way of a tape measure for =
rear=20
measurement.</DIV>
<DIV>measured front and rear distances at tire extremity to give about =
3/32 toe=20
in</DIV>
<DIV>I feel that the limitation of this method is that am trying to =
measure a=20
relatively small distance over about 5 ft and the assumption that the =
tyre side=20
walls are uniform.</DIV>
<DIV>Took at least 5 adjustment and measurements to get close =E2=80=93 =
of course the LH=20
thread always fools me .. !!</DIV>
<DIV>Any ideas ?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Wonder how critical this toe in really is ?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>rg</DIV>
<DIV>67 BJ8</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY><=
/HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_028E_01D0D29C.3F2E1460--

------=_NextPart_000_028D_01D0D29C.3F2E1460
	name="20150809_120314.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="20150809_120314.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_028D_01D0D29C.3F2E1460
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

------=_NextPart_000_028D_01D0D29C.3F2E1460--