Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering Wheel Question

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2015 08:23:21 +0200

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5916724332440529543==
 boundary="------------030600090706090802020000"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------030600090706090802020000
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Something probably happened with the front suspension. Perhaps hitting a 
curb or a little wear causing some play in one of the pivot points like 
the king pins/ball joints in the steering system, loose bolt in the 
suspension/steering, setting of the tyres, play in the eel bearings, 
difference in/wrong tyre pressure.
Kees Oudesluijs

Team.net schreef op 6-8-2015 om 16:40:
>
> I have a BT7 with a curious steering wheel (?) issue.
>
> When restoring the car, I discovered the steering column had been 
> slightly bent.
>
> The column has been straightened. Otherwise, the internals in the box 
> are the same (i.e., bushings, peg, etc.).  The column appears to be ok 
> now including the splines that secure the steering wheel.
>
> The idler has been rebuilt as has the suspension and all components of 
> the cross rod steering system.
>
> The car has been aligned.
>
> I set the steering wheel so that one of the spokes was vertical when 
> the wheels are straight ahead. Worked fine for a while.
>
> But recently, the steering wheel has rotated counterclockwise about 45 
> degrees with the wheels straight ahead.
>
> This is the second time this has happened.
>
> There was very little rotational play in the steering wheel (an inch 
> or 2) prior to the mysterious 45 degree rotation; this amount of 
> rotation has not changed.
>
> Any and all ideas are appreciated.
>
> Larry Swift
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Versie: 2015.0.6125 / Virusdatabase: 4392/10392 - datum van uitgifte: 
> 08/07/15
>

--------------030600090706090802020000
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">Something probably happened with the
      front suspension. Perhaps hitting a curb or a little wear causing
      some play in one of the pivot points like the king pins/ball
      joints in the steering system, loose bolt in the
      suspension/steering, setting of the tyres, play in the eel
      bearings, difference in/wrong tyre pressure.<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      <br>
      <br>
      Team.net schreef op 6-8-2015 om 16:40:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote cite="mid:000f01d0d055$daa04b00$8fe0e100$@com"
      type="cite">
      <meta http-equiv="Context-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=us-ascii">
      <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 12 (filtered
        medium)">
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal">I have a BT7 with a curious steering wheel
          (?) issue.</p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">When restoring the car, I discovered the
          steering column had been slightly bent.</p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">The column has been straightened. 
          Otherwise, the internals in the box are the same (i.e.,
          bushings, peg, etc.).  The column appears to be ok now
          including the splines that secure the steering wheel.</p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">The idler has been rebuilt as has the
          suspension and all components of the cross rod steering
          system.</p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">The car has been aligned.</p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">I set the steering wheel so that one of the
          spokes was vertical when the wheels are straight ahead. 
          Worked fine for a while.</p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">But recently, the steering wheel has
          rotated counterclockwise about 45 degrees with the wheels
          straight ahead.</p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">This is the second time this has happened.</p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">There was very little rotational play in
          the steering wheel (an inch or 2) prior to the mysterious 45
          degree rotation; this amount of rotation has not changed.</p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">Any and all ideas are appreciated.</p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">Larry Swift</p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <meta http-equiv="Context-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=us-ascii">
      <p class="">Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.<br>
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com">www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2015.0.6125 / Virusdatabase: 4392/10392 - datum van
        uitgifte: 08/07/15</p>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------030600090706090802020000--

--===============5916724332440529543==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============5916724332440529543==--

---

From: "Al Fuller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 13:30:02 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============4245650509570249312==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0134_01D0D2A7.8081DC70"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0134_01D0D2A7.8081DC70
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Larry - I might have the same issue on my BJ-8:

I'm putting together a car that someone else started, so I didn't install
the suspension.  I installed the steering wheel with the spoke straight up
[I thought], but on driving the car, it appears to have migrated
counter-clockwise a bit.  This seemed to happen over the ~1000 miles to
Conclave and back.  I didn't get around to checking the front end after
bringing it back, and left town on business.

Yesterday we took it across the state to a show with a couple of friends.
Upon arriving, I thought I heard a light thumping rotational noise, so I
checked the wheels.  While the left rear knock-off did tighten up a little,
my big surprise was on the front left wheel in the form of several broken
spokes [around 7-8, but I didn't count].

After installing the spare, the steering wheel was immediately even farther
counter-clockwise!!

So - if the collective genius knows what is going on, I'd be pleased to
know.

Al Fuller

al at bighealey dot org

'65 BJ-8

'85 Rx-7

From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Team.net
Sent: Thursday, August 6, 2015 10:41 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Steering Wheel Question

When restoring the car, I discovered the steering column had been slightly
bent.

The column has been straightened.  Otherwise, the internals in the box are
the same (i.e., bushings, peg, etc.).  The column appears to be ok now
including the splines that secure the steering wheel.

The idler has been rebuilt as has the suspension and all components of the
cross rod steering system.

I set the steering wheel so that one of the spokes was vertical when the
wheels are straight ahead.  Worked fine for a while.

There was very little rotational play in the steering wheel (an inch or 2)
prior to the mysterious 45 degree rotation; this amount of rotation has not
changed.

Larry Swift

------=_NextPart_000_0134_01D0D2A7.8081DC70
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Larry &#8211; I might have the same issue on my =
BJ-8:<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I&#8217;m putting =
together a car that someone else started, so I didn&#8217;t install the =
suspension.&nbsp; I installed the steering wheel with the spoke straight =
up [I thought], but on driving the car, it appears to have migrated =
counter-clockwise a bit.&nbsp; This seemed to happen over the ~1000 =
miles to Conclave and back.&nbsp; I didn&#8217;t get around to checking =
the front end after bringing it back, and left town on =
business.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Yesterday we took it =
across the state to a show with a couple of friends.&nbsp; Upon =
arriving, I thought I heard a light thumping rotational noise, so I =
checked the wheels.&nbsp; While the left rear knock-off did tighten up a =
little, my big surprise was on the front left wheel in the form of =
several broken spokes [around 7-8, but I didn&#8217;t =
count].<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>After installing the =
spare, the steering wheel was immediately even farther =
counter-clockwise!!<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>So &#8211; if the =
collective genius knows what is going on, I&#8217;d be pleased to =
know&#8230;<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Al Fuller</span><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif;color:black'><o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>al at bighealey dot =
org</span><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif;color:black'><o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>'65 BJ-8</span><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif;color:black'><o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>'85 Rx-7</span><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif;color:black'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b>From:</b> Healeys =
[mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>Team.net<br><b>Sent:</b> Thursday, August 6, 2015 10:41 =
AM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> [Healeys] =
Steering Wheel Question<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I have a BT7 =
with a curious steering wheel (?) issue.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>When =
restoring the car, I discovered the steering column had been slightly =
bent.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>The column has been =
straightened.&nbsp; Otherwise, the internals in the box are the same =
(i.e., bushings, peg, etc.).&nbsp; The column appears to be ok now =
including the splines that secure the steering wheel.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>The idler =
has been rebuilt as has the suspension and all components of the cross =
rod steering system.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>The car has been =
aligned.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I set the steering wheel so that one of the spokes was =
vertical when the wheels are straight ahead.&nbsp; Worked fine for a =
while.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>But recently, the steering wheel has rotated =
counterclockwise about 45 degrees with the wheels straight =
ahead.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>This is the second time this =
has happened.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>There was very little rotational play in the steering =
wheel (an inch or 2) prior to the mysterious 45 degree rotation; this =
amount of rotation has not changed.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Any and all =
ideas are appreciated.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Larry =
Swift<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0134_01D0D2A7.8081DC70--

--===============4245650509570249312==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4245650509570249312==--