Subject: Re: [Healeys] Toe In

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 08:46:03 -0500 (CDT)

Derek,
 
I suppose your approach would work but I am quite skeptical of the uniformity of the sidewalls.
 
I use a method been around forever.  You guys are probably familiar with it.  After getting on level ground and adjusting air pressures I place a strip of tape across the treads of both tires at about same height.  I have a 6 or so foot length of 1x2 with two long ( 8 inches) spikes through to serve as pointers/measurers.  Tips should be roughly center of tread.
 
Roll the vehicle so that tapes are at axle level in front.  With a partner hold the pointers to the tape and make slight hole in tape with each.  Take down and roll car so tape is axle level in back.  Bring pointers up and gently put into tape holes (long spikes allow you to avoid frame interference problem).  Note difference in where pointers meet holes.  Of course, you want the rear position of the holes wider than the front position.  Adjust crossbar to get whatever amount of toe you desire, I like about 1/8.  Roll back and forth several times to check distance.
 
Keith  

On 08/10/15, Derek Job wrote:

Toe in is important. Too much and you'll get heavy steering and worn tyres, too little or toe out will stress the front end set up. I place axle stands on the floor and tie string to them. They are easy to move and keep the string tight.

On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 8:09 PM, Roger Grace <[email-masked]> wrote:

I had been fiddling with my steering rods so had to reset the toe in.

All a bit fiddly and wonder if the more experienced Listers have a 
different/better technique ... ??

This is what I do:

car level and front tire pressure balanced.

installed 2x al 1? square tubing (sq for straightness) about 27/28 in long 
for 165/15 tyres across the bottom of the wheels; about 6 in from the floor; 
tried to use bungy cords but in the end made a small retaining bracket that 
screws behind the spokes; made these 2 bars level; tightened just firm enough to 
stop movement.

marked the front and rear tire extremity on this bar.

bar cannot be higher as frame gets in the way of a tape measure for rear 
measurement.

measured front and rear distances at tire extremity to give about 3/32 toe 
in

I feel that the limitation of this method is that am trying to measure a 
relatively small distance over about 5 ft and the assumption that the tyre side 
walls are uniform.

Took at least 5 adjustment and measurements to get close ? of course the LH 
thread always fools me .. !!

Any ideas ?

Wonder how critical this toe in really is ?

rg

67 BJ8
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys