Subject: [Healeys] Steering Wheel Question

From: "Team.net" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 10:40:33 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============5050046797891254485==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0010_01D0D034.538EAB00"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01D0D034.538EAB00
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I have a BT7 with a curious steering wheel (?) issue.

When restoring the car, I discovered the steering column had been slightly
bent.

The column has been straightened.  Otherwise, the internals in the box are
the same (i.e., bushings, peg, etc.).  The column appears to be ok now
including the splines that secure the steering wheel.

The idler has been rebuilt as has the suspension and all components of the
cross rod steering system.

The car has been aligned.

I set the steering wheel so that one of the spokes was vertical when the
wheels are straight ahead.  Worked fine for a while.

But recently, the steering wheel has rotated counterclockwise about 45
degrees with the wheels straight ahead.

This is the second time this has happened.

There was very little rotational play in the steering wheel (an inch or 2)
prior to the mysterious 45 degree rotation; this amount of rotation has not
changed.

Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Larry Swift

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01D0D034.538EAB00
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>I have a =
BT7 with a curious steering wheel (?) issue.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>When =
restoring the car, I discovered the steering column had been slightly =
bent.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>The column has been =
straightened.&nbsp; Otherwise, the internals in the box are the same =
(i.e., bushings, peg, etc.).&nbsp; The column appears to be ok now =
including the splines that secure the steering wheel.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>The idler =
has been rebuilt as has the suspension and all components of the cross =
rod steering system.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>The car has been =
aligned.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I set the steering wheel so that one of the spokes was =
vertical when the wheels are straight ahead.&nbsp; Worked fine for a =
while.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>But recently, the steering wheel has rotated =
counterclockwise about 45 degrees with the wheels straight =
ahead.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>This is the second time this =
has happened.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>There was very little rotational play in the steering =
wheel (an inch or 2) prior to the mysterious 45 degree rotation; this =
amount of rotation has not changed.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Any and all =
ideas are appreciated.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Larry =
Swift<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0010_01D0D034.538EAB00--

--===============5050046797891254485==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============5050046797891254485==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 14:31:01 -0400

--===============6960197345598176216==
	boundary="----=_Part_325999_1625896802.1439145061307"

------=_Part_325999_1625896802.1439145061307
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

A few thoughts on the subject:
I do not believe that it is possible to determine when the two front wheels are pointing straight ahead by sight. First, set the toe in. Drive the car to make sure the suspension has "set in". On a long straight level driveway, roll the car backwards as far as possible & then forward as far as possible. Do not hold onto the steering wheel. The front suspension caster will self-center the wheels equally. If the car does not roll straight I.E. If it pulls to the left or right every time you roll it forward something is wrong. The possibilities are many. Lets assume it rolls straight. 
Now look at the steering wheel orientation. If the center spoke is not vertical the only adjustment is to reposition it on the steering column splines. This is not a very fine adjustment.
Some people thing that the wheels are straight ahead when the steering column is centered on the "tight spot". That is only true at one specific toe in setting which might not be the toe in you have or want. You can reposition the steering wheel by changing the toe in but that is of course not the purpose of toe in & not the correct way to set the steering wheel.    
   
This all assumes the suspension/steering are in good condition. 
For example, if the rear axle is loose it will affect the front steering including the steering wheel orientation.

Gary Hodson

    

 

------=_Part_325999_1625896802.1439145061307
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<font color='black' size='2' face='arial'>
<div>A few thoughts on the subject:</div>

<div>I do not believe that it is possible to determine when the&nbsp;two front wheels are pointing straight ahead by sight. First, set the toe in. Drive the car to make sure the suspension has "set in". On a long straight level driveway,&nbsp;roll the car backwards as far as possible &amp; then forward as far as&nbsp;possible.&nbsp;Do not hold onto the steering wheel. The front suspension caster will self-center the wheels equally. If the car does not roll straight I.E. If it pulls to the left or right every time you roll it forward something is wrong. The possibilities are many.&nbsp;Lets assume it rolls straight.&nbsp;</div>

<div>Now look at the steering wheel orientation. If the center spoke is not vertical the only adjustment is to reposition it on the&nbsp;steering column splines.&nbsp;This is&nbsp;not a very fine adjustment.</div>

<div>Some people thing that the wheels are straight ahead when the steering column is centered on the "tight spot". That is only true at one specific toe in setting which might not be the toe in you have or want. You can reposition the steering wheel by changing the toe in but that is of course not the purpose of toe in &amp; not the correct way to set the steering wheel. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</div>

<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</div>

<div>This all assumes the&nbsp;suspension/steering are in&nbsp;good condition. </div>

<div>For example, if the rear axle is loose it will affect the front steering including the steering wheel orientation.</div>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

<div>Gary Hodson</div>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

<div style="color: black; font-family: arial,helvetica; font-size: 10pt;">
<div id="AOLMsgPart_1.2_7bdb8951-798d-4f61-aa0b-34f2995f2b1e">
<div class="aolReplacedBody" lang="EN-US">
<div class="WordSection1">
<div class="MsoNormal"><span style="color: rgb(31, 73, 125);">&nbsp;</span></div>

<div>
   
<div style="border-width: 1pt medium medium; border-style: solid none none; border-color: rgb(225, 225, 225) currentColor currentColor; padding: 3pt 0in 0in;">
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<div class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</div>
</div>
</div>

<div class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</div>

<div class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</div>

 </div>

</div>

</div>

<div id="AOLMsgPart_2_ed40ba58-b50f-41e5-9830-d7d604a3f091" style="margin: 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif; font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">

<pre style="font-size: 9pt;"><tt>
</tt></pre>
</div>
 <!-- end of AOLMsgPart_2_ed40ba58-b50f-41e5-9830-d7d604a3f091 -->
</div>
</font>
------=_Part_325999_1625896802.1439145061307--

--===============6960197345598176216==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6960197345598176216==--

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2015 22:58:44 +0200

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4404687503456844141==
 boundary="------------090609000503090608010306"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------090609000503090608010306
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

In my view the only way to set the steering wheel in the centre position 
is to count/measure the number of revolutions of the steering wheel 
turning from full right to full left and turn the steering wheel exactly 
half these revolutions back to the right and fix the steering wheel in 
that position. In this position the two front wheels should be aligned 
and the steering wheel set in its proper position on the splines, either 
the centre spoke pointing up or down according preference.
Modern wheel aligning equipment will sort it in a different way but the 
principle will remain.
Kees Oudesluijs

[email-masked] schreef op 9-8-2015 om 20:31:
> I do not believe that it is possible to determine when the two front 
> wheels are pointing straight ahead by sight. First, set the toe in. 
> Drive the car to make sure the suspension has "set in". On a long 
> straight level driveway, roll the car backwards as far as possible & 
> then forward as far as possible. Do not hold onto the steering wheel. 
> The front suspension caster will self-center the wheels equally. If 
> the car does not roll straight I.E. If it pulls to the left or right 
> every time you roll it forward something is wrong. The possibilities 
> are many. Lets assume it rolls straight.
> Now look at the steering wheel orientation. If the center spoke is not 
> vertical the only adjustment is to reposition it on the steering 
> column splines. This is not a very fine adjustment.
> Some people thing that the wheels are straight ahead when the steering 
> column is centered on the "tight spot". That is only true at one 
> specific toe in setting which might not be the toe in you have or 
> want. You can reposition the steering wheel by changing the toe in but 
> that is of course not the purpose of toe in & not the correct way to 
> set the steering wheel.
> For example, if the rear axle is loose it will affect the front 
> steering including the steering wheel orientation.
> Gary Hodson
>
>
>
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Versie: 2015.0.6125 / Virusdatabase: 4392/10407 - datum van uitgifte: 
> 08/09/15
>

--------------090609000503090608010306
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">In my view the only way to set the
      steering wheel in the centre position is to count/measure the
      number of revolutions of the steering wheel turning from full
      right to full left and turn the steering wheel exactly half these
      revolutions back to the right and fix the steering wheel in that
      position. In this position the two front wheels should be aligned
      and the steering wheel set in its proper position on the splines,
      either the centre spoke pointing up or down according preference.<br>
      Modern wheel aligning equipment will sort it in a different way
      but the principle will remain.<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> schreef op 9-8-2015 om 20:31:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
      cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <meta http-equiv="Context-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
      <div>A few thoughts on the subject:</div>
      <div>I do not believe that it is possible to determine when
        the two front wheels are pointing straight ahead by sight.
        First, set the toe in. Drive the car to make sure the suspension
        has "set in". On a long straight level driveway, roll the car
        backwards as far as possible &amp; then forward as far
        as possible. Do not hold onto the steering wheel. The front
        suspension caster will self-center the wheels equally. If the
        car does not roll straight I.E. If it pulls to the left or right
        every time you roll it forward something is wrong. The
        possibilities are many. Lets assume it rolls straight. </div>
      <div>Now look at the steering wheel orientation. If the center
        spoke is not vertical the only adjustment is to reposition it on
        the steering column splines. This is not a very fine adjustment.</div>
      <div>Some people thing that the wheels are straight ahead when the
        steering column is centered on the "tight spot". That is only
        true at one specific toe in setting which might not be the toe
        in you have or want. You can reposition the steering wheel by
        changing the toe in but that is of course not the purpose of toe
        in &amp; not the correct way to set the steering wheel.    </div>
      <div>   </div>
      <div>This all assumes the suspension/steering are in good
        condition. </div>
      <div>For example, if the rear axle is loose it will affect the
        front steering including the steering wheel orientation.</div>
      <div> </div>
      <div>Gary Hodson</div>
      <div> </div>
      <div>
        <div id="AOLMsgPart_1.2_7bdb8951-798d-4f61-aa0b-34f2995f2b1e">
          <div class="aolReplacedBody" lang="EN-US">
            <div class="WordSection1">
              <div class="MsoNormal"><span> </span></div>
              <div>
                <div>
                      
                  <div class="MsoNormal"> </div>
                </div>
              </div>
              <div class="MsoNormal"> </div>
              <div class="MsoNormal"> </div>
            </div>
          </div>
        </div>
        <div id="AOLMsgPart_2_ed40ba58-b50f-41e5-9830-d7d604a3f091">
          <pre><tt>
</tt></pre>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <meta http-equiv="Context-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
      <p class="">Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.<br>
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com">www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2015.0.6125 / Virusdatabase: 4392/10407 - datum van
        uitgifte: 08/09/15</p>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------090609000503090608010306--

--===============4404687503456844141==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4404687503456844141==--