Subject: [Fot] 2026 Kastner Cup - Return to Mosport - overview of how VARAC races

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 May 2026 10:56:15 -0400

Lots of activity on my end getting things ironed out for our race at 
Mosport in a few weeks, stay tuned for what you need to know!

This post will discuss how VARAC sets up the on-track activities at the 
Vintage Grand Prix.

The Kastner Cup race will be Saturday, first race after lunch. We will 
be getting a second all-Triumph race on Sunday, more on that in a future 
post. Other than those two races, we will be running with the VARAC race 
groups for the rest of the weekend. So, unlike Lime Rock last year where 
we ran the whole event together in the same group, we will be running 
with the normal VARAC race groups all weekend, except for the Kastner 
Cup race on Saturday and the bonus all-Triumph race on Sunday.

When we registered, were asked to provide an estimated lap time. I 
assisted several of you on that, hopefully we got you in the ballpark. 
You were put into your class based on that laptime. We will run in 
groups based on lap times. Everyone except the TR8’s will be running in 
Vintage Historic, which is divided into 6 classes by lap times.
VH1 is for lap times under 1:35
VH2 - <1:40
VH3 - <1:45
VH4(a) - <1:47.5
VH4(b) - <1:50
VH5 - >1:50

These classes will form three run groups.
Group 1 is VH1, 2 and 3
Group 2A is VH4(a)
Group 2B is VH4(b)
Group 3 is VH5

OK, so before you think I can’t count, there are 3 Vintage Historic run 
groups, but Groups 2A and 2B get combined differently as the event runs, 
you need to pay attention if you are in VH4 so you take the track in the 
correct session!

I have never been on track with cars that I didn’t feel comfortable 
racing with, they are not mixing open wheel cars or heavy cars with us.

So, how are we scored? Think bracket racing. The goal is to run as close 
to the bottom of your bracket without busting out as possible. For 
example, you are in VH3. Your bracket is 1:40 to 1:45. You will be 
scored against others in your bracket, if you can run consistent laps at 
the bottom of your bracket, you will do well. But if you break out of 
your bracket, you get penalized one lap for every lap you break out! Why 
is this a big deal? Because VARAC will grid us by finishing position, 
not by best lap time. If you break out, you will be starting the next 
race at the back of the grid. If you miss a group session, you will also 
start your next race from the back of the grid.

You can change classes at any time if you find you can’t run inside the 
bracket time. See me at any point during the event, I will point you to 
the right folks to facilitate the move.

I have seen the preliminary schedule, holy crap… Bring fuel to run your 
test day, 2 sessions totaling 40 minutes Friday, 4 sessions totaling 80 
minutes on Saturday, and 4 sessions totaling 85 minutes on Sunday. When 
the schedule goes hard I will share it. The schedule posted on the VARAC 
website as of right now is one version older than the one I was given.

Stay tuned, lots more to come.

Henry Frye
Chair - 2026 Kastner Cup - Return to Mosport
860.508.3118
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]