Subject: Re: [Fot] Recommend border x-ing

From: Tony Garmey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2026 01:35:20 +0000

Y’all know the meaning of  “ hassle “ .. if a state DOT catches you with that much fuel !
Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 25, 2026, at 12:09 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
>
> I have never declared race fuel, and never had a problem!
>
> Henry Frye
>
>> On 2026-04-25 11:59, Lyman Scherer wrote:
>> Traveling from Arizona to MoSport. Recommend which Canadian border
>> crossing with truck and 24’ enclosed trailer?
>> Detroit area or Niagara Falls?
>> Still undecided on bringing 12 five gallon jugs of $10/gal. Sunoco
>> from AZ or buying fuel at track! Technically need to declare fuel at
>> Customs.. is the hassle worth $$ savings?
>> Lyman #65 TR4
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> _______________________________________________
>> [email-masked]
>> http://www.fot-racing.com/
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot
>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com/
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
>
>
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2026 07:53:53 -0400

After reading Tony's comment, I reread Lyman's original post. I had 
glazed over the fact Lynam is thinking of bringing 60 gallons of fuel, 
plus I assume whatever is in the car's fuel cell. While Tony's point 
seems quite valid, I can only address the border crossing!

Keep in mind one of the things the Canadian Border guards are looking 
for is Americans crossing into Canada with goods they intend to sell, as 
there would be duty to pay on that. There is no duty to pay if you don't 
sell anything in Canada. I think it might be an awkward conversation 
trying to convince someone you are attending a 3 day race event with a 4 
cylinder race car and intend to burn 60+ gallons of fuel. But, in my 
experience, you are not going to be asked how much fuel you are bringing 
in. If I was asked, my response to that question would be "I only have 
what I intend to use at the track".

I have heard some US racers will transport their fuel jugs IN the race 
car, so if the question of race fuel comes up at the border, they can 
truthfully as say they are only bringing what's in the car.

I bring 5 jugs, 25 gallons, plus a full fuel cell. (I do not run test 
day) Pretty easy to convince someone that amount is for personal use, if 
I was ever asked. I have never been questioned.

Another thing to keep in mind, attrition is always a factor. It is 
common on Sunday to have racers who didn't bring enough fuel to approach 
someone who broke and "bartering" for their unused race fuel.

Three weeks ago Mark Cook was kind enough to repost a short article I 
wrote for VARAC last year about Americans crossing the border, it's 
pretty clear how the crossing works for racers.

Assuming you use one of the large, popular crossing points, (which I 
highly recommend) as you approach the border you will see the Customs 
buildings. This is where you would pull in, park, and go inside to deal 
with Customs, pay duty, find someone to stamp you inventory sheet, etc. 
There is nobody there to tell you to pull in, the vast majority of 
travelers simply keep driving and get in line to chat with the nice 
Canadian in the border crossing booth. The conversation should go like I 
explained in my article, and in a few short minutes you are driving in 
Canada, trying to remember on the fly how to convert Kilometers per Hour 
into Miles per Hour! (Yes, Canada uses KPH)

Hope this helps! Looking forward to seeing everyone in Canada!

Henry Frye
KCup chair - Return to Mosport - 2026
860.508.3118

---

From: Lyman Scherer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2026 09:04:30 -0700

Yes on concern of ‘hassle’ meaning the process of bringing quantities of race fuel ie: 8x 5gal, 40 gallons. Believe customs in Canada allows only 15 gallons only, 3x 5gal jugs. 
Quantity would require declaration statement, hazardous material, plus time dealing with customs, the ‘hassle’.. so I feel transporting 40gal. without declaring could lead to big trouble and jeopardize our efforts to race!!!
 Guess we will only bring 15gal to run first day and by our fuel at track at high cost!
Only draw back is we have run Sunoco 100 interesting and Dyno tune. Using track fuel adds to an unknown! Thanks for all input
Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 25, 2026, at 6:35 PM, Tony Garmey <[email-masked]> wrote:
>