Subject: [Fot] 2026 VARAC Vintage Grand Prix - Registration ALMOST ready to open!!!

From: Henry Frye via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2025 11:32:59 -0500

I just received the announcement that registration is now open for the 
VARAC Vintage Grand Prix, home of the 2026 Kastner Cup! I am sure some 
of you have received it as well.

As I was trying to register, I realized there is some confusion on how 
VARAC will want us to fill out the page, so I called my contact. We 
realized the registration page still needs a little tweaking, so please 
hold off registering until you get my next email on the subject!

Thanks for your patience.

Henry Frye
Kastner Cup chair 2026 - Return to Mosport!
860.508.3118
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot

---

From: Henry Frye via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2025 17:58:04 -0500

Apologies for getting waived off, but we have made it around the track 
and they have thrown the green flag this time!

Registration is open (and pretty much correct) for the 2026 VARAC 
Vintage Grand Prix, home of the 24th running for the Kastner Cup!

They run things a little different up in Canada, so bear with me here.

Click the link to the motorsportsreg registration page.  -->  
www.msreg.com/2026-VARAC-VGP

Fill out as you normally do, and when you come to 1st Car Entry, you 
will be choosing either Group 1, 2A, 2B, or Group 3.

Group 1 is for cars that will run lap times under 1:45.
Group 2A is for cars that will run from 1:45 to 1:47.5
Group 2B is for cars that will run from 1:47.5 to 1:50
Group 3 is for cars that will run lap times over 1:50

So, how do you know what your lap time will be at a track you never ran? 
Great question! My best advice would be to not be too ambitious, it will 
be easy to move into the faster group, but might take a little more 
explaining to move into a slower group! The good news is everyone who 
has not raced on Mosport is required to run test day on Thursday, so you 
will have some idea before the first qualifying session where you 
belong. But for the sake of registering, here's my take.

To turn a good lap at Mosport, you need to be comfortable with 
maintaining high speed in corners. I'll post some good in-car video for 
folks to see what I am talking about. You only brake hard for turn 5, 
and brake moderately hard for turn 3. The rest of the corners are either 
no brakes or a confidence brush. Keep that in mind as you choose your 
group!

If you are one of the faster racers, you know who you are, select Group 
1. For reference, if you qualified top 10 at Lime Rock this year, you 
will most probably end up in Group 1.

A well driven TR4 or GT6, Group 2A with the likelihood of getting bumped 
to Group 1

A well driven TR3, Group 2B

As our Spitfires range from uber-fast to normal fast, they are going to 
fall all over the place. Tim Slater comes every year with his 1147 
Spitfire and drives the wheels off it turning 1:50's, while I have no 
doubt the Darrow brothers will be in Group 1.

Drivers who can remember removing their rookie stripes, think Group 3. 
In all probability, the track will be like no other you have 
experienced, it feels incredibly fast with blind turns and massive 
elevation changes.

Once you have gotten past the 1st Car entry, the next thing you need to 
select is Kastner Cup. Make sure the car choice is correct.

Then you will select the MG/TR Challenge. For class, chose Triumph in 
MG/TR Challenge.

At the bottom of the page you might see an entry for the Rudy Bartling 
Special Race. My conversations with VARAC led me to believe this race is 
not being held this year, but it was there when I registered, and I 
signed up for it. Feel free to do so, but it might just not be 
happening!

We will get a $100 discount for signing up before December 31, so please 
take advantage of the discount!

Thanks everybody!

Henry Frye
KCup Chair, 2026
860.508.3118