Subject: [Fot] Remembering John Hasty

From: yellow04 via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2025 09:54:55 -0500

I just found out that a couple months back we lost our resident 
octogenarian, John Hasty. Those of us who race the eastern part of the 
States have probably met him at the track, piloting a yellow TR3. John 
was always great fun to chat with, his extensive background in 
motorcycle racing usually came up in some way or another. After "aging 
out" on two wheels he decided it would be a better idea to race on four 
wheels and was still on track with us last year at the age of 88 years 
young! At the spring race at VIR I see he was still right in the mix, 
finishing 12th out of 29 runners in the Saturday race.

Trying to remember when John arrived in the scene, I searched my 
archives. In 2011, Don Marshall nominated John and forwarded this 
introduction to the FOT.

"I've been into racing most anything that has a motor and wheels since 
the 40's when in high school building hot rods. Took off a few years 
while in college, but beginning in 1959 bought my first sports car, an 
Austin Healy 3000 w/o a jump seat, next a MGB, then a Porsche 912, then 
a Merc 280SL, now an Alfa Spider for the street and my TR3A for the 
track. Crewed for a friend in the 60's with a bug-eye sprite in SCCA 
events then got into motorcycles. I road motorcycle road-racers for 
about 10 years and when I retired from riding, built and tuned 250cc GP 
road-racers with a rider on the AMA pro circuit for about 7 years. We 
did pretty well, never finished worse than 5th. in overall standings and 
won the national
championship in 1990. My good friend Ceasar Cone got me back into sports 
car racing and when it came time to buy a car I decided that if I was 
going vintage racing I wanted a truly vintage car and I think the TR3A 
is a perfect truly vintage car."

Our kind of people, no doubt. You will be missed, my friend...

https://www.tributearchive.com/obituaries/33758028/john-henderson-hasty

Henry Frye
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot