Subject: [Fot] 1959 TR3A Driver's Seat Recommendations

From: Ken Hollar via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 05:47:06 +0000 (UTC)

--===============2258098932625643733==
	boundary="----=_Part_3751835_798996779.1710913626245"

------=_Part_3751835_798996779.1710913626245
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hello All,
This past weekend we fielded the Saved Race Car at Willow Springs Raceway w=
ith VARA for the first time since 1979.=C2=A0 It had been 45 years sleeping=
 in a garage.=C2=A0 Last time at Willow Springs was 1974, 50 years ago.
Thanks to all for you inputs to help in this effort.=C2=A0 The trackside as=
sistance was amazing to help us get to the Checkered Flag.
Scrutineering suggested a new era seat vs the original stiff backed short T=
R3A seat.=C2=A0 A highbacked seat with belts anchored looping around the ro=
ll bar.=C2=A0 Suggested is an understatement.=C2=A0=C2=A0
My son-in-law and I are both 6'1" and 230 lbs.=C2=A0 He is configured diffe=
rently than I and 38 years younger.
Now the question of which seat?=C2=A0=C2=A0
We are feverishly preparing for the Kastner Cup race a Sonoma in April.=C2=
=A0=C2=A0
Any used seats available?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for you help,
Ken Hollar408-655-7569Carlsbad,Ca
------=_Part_3751835_798996779.1710913626245
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head></head><body><div class=3D"yahoo-style-wrap" style=3D"font-fami=
ly:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><div dir=
=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Hello All,</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=
=3D"false"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">This past weeke=
nd we fielded the Saved Race Car at Willow Springs Raceway with VARA for th=
e first time since 1979.&nbsp; It had been 45 years sleeping in a garage.&n=
bsp; Last time at Willow Springs was 1974, 50 years ago.</div><div dir=3D"l=
tr" data-setdir=3D"false"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">=
Thanks to all for you inputs to help in this effort.&nbsp; The trackside as=
sistance was amazing to help us get to the Checkered Flag.</div><div dir=3D=
"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false=
">Scrutineering suggested a new era seat vs the original stiff backed short=
 TR3A seat.&nbsp; A highbacked seat with belts anchored looping around the =
roll bar.&nbsp; Suggested is an understatement.&nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div dir=
=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"fa=
lse">My son-in-law and I are both 6'1" and 230 lbs.&nbsp; He is configured =
differently than I and 38 years younger.</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=
=3D"false"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Now the questio=
n of which seat?&nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false"><b=
r></div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">We are feverishly preparing =
for the Kastner Cup race a Sonoma in April.&nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div dir=3D"lt=
r" data-setdir=3D"false"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">A=
ny used seats available?</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false"><br></=
div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Any suggestions would be greatly=
 appreciated.</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false"><br></div><div di=
r=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Thanks for you help,</div><div dir=3D"ltr" =
data-setdir=3D"false"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Ken =
Hollar</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">408-655-7569</div><div d=
ir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Carlsbad,Ca</div></div></body></html>
------=_Part_3751835_798996779.1710913626245--

--===============2258098932625643733==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot

--===============2258098932625643733==--

---

From: yellow04 via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 06:32:12 -0400

--===============2993988269520643452==
 boundary="=_8c3152d126154f469ac9947faf29562b"

--=_8c3152d126154f469ac9947faf29562b
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
 format=flowed

Out east, it seems the budget friendly seats we see most are made by
Kirkey. There used to be a couple of models that worked well and looked
OK in our cars, but 10 years ago when I bought the seat for my TR3 I
found only one that fit the bill. I seem to remember it was the Series
38. 

https://www.kirkeyracing.com/category/Series38/38-Series-Standard-10-to-20-Layback

Figure a little over $500 for the seat and cover from Summit Racing. 

When choosing a seat, you want one that holds your butt and torso firmly
when strapped in, and since you will be sharing the car with multiple
drivers that may turn out to be a compromise. The seats come in
different widths, and it really helps to have both you and the
son-in-law sit in the a couple to verify the fit. Hopefully you will
find one that is not too snug for one and not too loose for the other.
If you run into trouble, remember you can always fabricate a foam insert
(or just stuff some foam in the right places) to take up excess room for
the smaller of the two drivers.  

The seat needs to be attached to some real structure under the car, I
welded brackets off the frame to give me real steel to bolt to, same for
the belts. A pretty easy task on a TR3, the frame is pretty close to
where the bolts came through the floor on Old Blue. Just using big
fender washers under the sheet metal floor is not the best way to go,
especially considering the 60 year old sheet metal. 

Good luck, and I hope you guys make it to the Kastner Cup! 

Henry Frye 

On 2024-03-20 01:47, Ken Hollar via Fot wrote:

> Scrutineering suggested a new era seat vs the original stiff backed short TR3A seat.  A highbacked seat with belts anchored looping around the roll bar.  Suggested is an understatement.   
> 
> My son-in-law and I are both 6'1" and 230 lbs.  He is configured differently than I and 38 years younger. 
> 
> Now the question of which seat?
--=_8c3152d126154f469ac9947faf29562b
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=
=3DUTF-8" /></head><body style=3D'font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana,Gen=
eva,sans-serif'>
<p>Out east, it seems the budget friendly seats we see most are made by Kir=
key. There used to be a couple of models that worked well and looked OK in =
our cars, but 10 years ago when I bought the seat for my TR3 I found only o=
ne that fit the bill. I seem to remember it was the Series 38.</p>
<p><a href=3D"https://www.kirkeyracing.com/category/Series38/38-Series-Stan=
dard-10-to-20-Layback">https://www.kirkeyracing.com/category/Series38/38-Se=
ries-Standard-10-to-20-Layback</a>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Figure a little over $500 for the seat and cover from Summit Racing.</p>
<p>When choosing a seat, you want one that holds your butt and torso firmly=
 when strapped in, and since you will be sharing the car with multiple driv=
ers that may turn out to be a compromise. The seats come in different width=
s, and it really helps to have both you and the son-in-law sit in the a cou=
ple to verify the fit. Hopefully you will find one that is not too snug for=
 one and not too loose for the other. If you run into trouble, remember you=
 can always fabricate a foam insert (or just stuff some foam in the right p=
laces) to take up excess room for the smaller of the two drivers.&nbsp;</p>
<p>The seat needs to be attached to some real structure under the car, I we=
lded brackets off the frame to give me real steel to bolt to, same for the =
belts. A pretty easy task on a TR3, the frame is pretty close to where the =
bolts came through the floor on Old Blue. Just using big fender washers und=
er the sheet metal floor is not the best way to go, especially considering =
the 60 year old sheet metal.</p>
<p>Good luck, and I hope you guys make it to the Kastner Cup!</p>
<p>Henry Frye</p>
<p id=3D"reply-intro">On 2024-03-20 01:47, Ken Hollar via Fot wrote:</p>
<blockquote type=3D"cite" style=3D"padding: 0 0.4em; border-left: #1010ff 2=
px solid; margin: 0">
<div id=3D"replybody1">
<div class=3D"v1yahoo-style-wrap" style=3D"font-family: Helvetica Neue, Hel=
vetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">
<div dir=3D"ltr">Scrutineering suggested a new era seat vs the original sti=
ff backed short TR3A seat.&nbsp; A highbacked seat with belts anchored loop=
ing around the roll bar.&nbsp; Suggested is an understatement.&nbsp;&nbsp;<=
/div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">&nbsp;</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">My son-in-law and I are both 6'1" and 230 lbs.&nbsp; He is=
 configured differently than I and 38 years younger.</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">&nbsp;</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">Now the question of which seat?&nbsp;&nbsp;</div>
</div>
</div>
</blockquote>
</body></html>

--=_8c3152d126154f469ac9947faf29562b--

--===============2993988269520643452==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============2993988269520643452==--

---

From: DAVE HOGYE via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 07:42:07 -0700 (PDT)

--===============3383274943614421379==
	boundary="----=_Part_1163459_1458022173.1710945727765"

------=_Part_1163459_1458022173.1710945727765
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi Ken,
Congratulations on your first weekend back on track with the TR3.
I really like the Kirkey Vintage seat in my car.  It's appropriate without a built-in headrest because my roll bar has one.  Either way, Kirkey is good quality, strong, safe and economical.  I like the snap-in cover too.  You can add padding where needed.  You might consider a TR4A or TR6 adjustable track to for mounting if you need one. 
Dave H. 
https://www.kirkeyracing.com/category/Series55V/55v-series---vintage-class-bucket

> On 03/19/2024 10:47 PM PDT Ken Hollar via Fot <[email-masked]> wrote:
>  
>  
> Hello All,
>  
> This past weekend we fielded the Saved Race Car at Willow Springs Raceway with VARA for the first time since 1979.  It had been 45 years sleeping in a garage.  Last time at Willow Springs was 1974, 50 years ago.
>  
> Thanks to all for you inputs to help in this effort.  The trackside assistance was amazing to help us get to the Checkered Flag.
>  
> We are feverishly preparing for the Kastner Cup race a Sonoma in April.  
>  
> Ken Hollar
> 408-655-7569
> Carlsbad,Ca
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> 
> 
> 

------=_Part_1163459_1458022173.1710945727765
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!doctype html>
<html>
 <head> 
  <meta charset="UTF-8"> 
 </head>
 <body>
  <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;">
   <span style="font-family: helvetica; font-size: 12pt;">Hi Ken,</span>
  </div> 
  <div class="default-style" style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;">
   <span style="font-family: helvetica; font-size: 12pt;">Congratulations on your first weekend back on track with the TR3.</span>
  </div> 
  <div class="default-style" style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;">
   <span style="font-family: helvetica; font-size: 12pt;">I really like the Kirkey Vintage seat in my car.&nbsp; It's appropriate without a built-in headrest because my roll bar has one.&nbsp; Either way, Kirkey is good quality, strong, safe and economical.&nbsp; I like the snap-in cover too.&nbsp; You can add padding where needed.&nbsp; You might consider a TR4A or TR6 adjustable track to for mounting if you need one.&nbsp;</span>
  </div> 
  <div class="default-style" style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;">
   <span style="font-family: helvetica; font-size: 12pt;">Dave H.&nbsp;</span>
  </div> 
  <div class="default-style" style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;">
   <span style="font-family: helvetica; font-size: 12pt;">https://www.kirkeyracing.com/category/Series55V/55v-series---vintage-class-bucket</span>
  </div> 
  <blockquote type="cite"> 
   <div>
    On 03/19/2024 10:47 PM PDT Ken Hollar via Fot &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:
   </div> 
   <div>
    &nbsp;
   </div> 
   <div>
    &nbsp;
   </div> 
   <div class="yahoo-style-wrap" style="font-family: Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;"> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     Hello All,
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     &nbsp;
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     This past weekend we fielded the Saved Race Car at Willow Springs Raceway with VARA for the first time since 1979.&nbsp; It had been 45 years sleeping in a garage.&nbsp; Last time at Willow Springs was 1974, 50 years ago.
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     &nbsp;
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     Thanks to all for you inputs to help in this effort.&nbsp; The trackside assistance was amazing to help us get to the Checkered Flag.
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     &nbsp;
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     Scrutineering suggested a new era seat vs the original stiff backed short TR3A seat.&nbsp; A highbacked seat with belts anchored looping around the roll bar.&nbsp; Suggested is an understatement.&nbsp;&nbsp;
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     &nbsp;
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     My son-in-law and I are both 6'1" and 230 lbs.&nbsp; He is configured differently than I and 38 years younger.
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     &nbsp;
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     Now the question of which seat?&nbsp;&nbsp;
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     &nbsp;
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     We are feverishly preparing for the Kastner Cup race a Sonoma in April.&nbsp;&nbsp;
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     &nbsp;
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     Any used seats available?
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     &nbsp;
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     &nbsp;
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     Thanks for you help,
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     &nbsp;
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     Ken Hollar
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     408-655-7569
    </div> 
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">
     Carlsbad,Ca
    </div> 
   </div> _______________________________________________
   <br>[email-masked]
   <br>
   <br>http://www.fot-racing.com
   <br>
   <br>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
   <br>Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot
   <br>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
   <br>
   <br>
   <br>
  </blockquote>
 </body>
</html>
------=_Part_1163459_1458022173.1710945727765--

--===============3383274943614421379==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============3383274943614421379==--

---

From: "John H. Hasty via Fot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 16:43:00 +0000

--===============7110457796912407683==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_004_SN7PR22MB383436102BC69206CB86B44199332SN7PR22MB3834namp_";
	type="multipart/alternative"

--_004_SN7PR22MB383436102BC69206CB86B44199332SN7PR22MB3834namp_
	boundary="_000_SN7PR22MB383436102BC69206CB86B44199332SN7PR22MB3834namp_"

--_000_SN7PR22MB383436102BC69206CB86B44199332SN7PR22MB3834namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_SN7PR22MB383436102BC69206CB86B44199332SN7PR22MB3834namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_SN7PR22MB383436102BC69206CB86B44199332SN7PR22MB3834namp_--

--_004_SN7PR22MB383436102BC69206CB86B44199332SN7PR22MB3834namp_
Content-Description: image001.png
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="image001.png"; size=12907;
	creation-date="Wed, 20 Mar 2024 16:43:00 GMT";
	modification-date="Wed, 20 Mar 2024 16:43:00 GMT"
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_004_SN7PR22MB383436102BC69206CB86B44199332SN7PR22MB3834namp_--

--===============7110457796912407683==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============7110457796912407683==--