Subject: Re: [Fot] 6 cyl. tappet removal

From: "JS Performance Motoring, LLC via Fot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 09:36:05 -0400

--===============0098206907273045743==

--000000000000f07cd80607992434
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Anthony,

       Seeing as how the tappets must come up above the deck surface of the
block to remove them, you'd basically have to project all 12 tappet bores
up through the head.  I don't think there is enough material in the head to
do that without breaking through.  This is a great idea, and I'd love to be
wrong, so if you figure out a good solution, please do share!

Jason Sukey
JS Performance Motoring, LLC
440.984.7720
[email-masked]
https://www.facebook.com/JSPerformanceMotoring/

On Fri, Oct 13, 2023 at 9:08=E2=80=AFAM Anthony Parker via Fot <[email-masked]=
eam.net>
wrote:

> Has anyone successfully modified the 6 cyl. heads to allow for tappet
> removal with the head installed on the block?
> I would really like to be able to check for tappet and cam wear without
> the trouble of removing the head.
>
> Thank you,
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot
> Unsubscribe/Manage <http://www.team.net/pipermail/fotUnsubscribe/Manage>:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
>
>
>

--000000000000f07cd80607992434
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Anthony,<div><br></div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0See=
ing as how the tappets must come up above the deck surface of the block to =
remove them, you&#39;d basically have to project all 12 tappet bores up thr=
ough the head.=C2=A0 I don&#39;t think there is enough material in the head=
 to do that without breaking through.=C2=A0 This is a great idea, and I&#39=
;d love to be wrong, so if you figure out a good solution, please do share!=
</div><div><br></div><div><br clear=3D"all"><div><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"=
gmail_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div><=
div dir=3D"ltr"><div><div dir=3D"ltr"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div dir=3D"ltr"><di=
v>Jason Sukey</div><div><span></span><span></span>JS Performance Motoring, =
LLC<br></div><div>440.984.7720</div><div><a href=3D"mailto:jason@jsperforma=
ncemotoring.com" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a><br><=
/div><div><a href=3D"https://www.facebook.com/JSPerformanceMotoring/" targe=
t=3D"_blank">https://www.facebook.com/JSPerformanceMotoring/</a><br></div><=
/div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div><br></div></div><br><d=
iv class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri, Oct =
13, 2023 at 9:08=E2=80=AFAM Anthony Parker via Fot &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fo=
[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote cl=
ass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid=
 rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D"msg-4854506498340272691">

<div dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color=
:rgb(0,0,0)">
Has anyone successfully modified the 6 cyl. heads to allow for tappet remov=
al with the head installed on the block?</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color=
:rgb(0,0,0)">
I would really like to be able to check for tappet and cam wear without the=
 trouble of removing the head.</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color=
:rgb(0,0,0)">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color=
:rgb(0,0,0)">
Thank you,</div>
</div>

_______________________________________________<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]<=
/a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"http://www.fot-racing.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>
<br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" targe=
t=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a> <a href=3D"http://www.team.n=
et/pipermail/fotUnsubscribe/Manage" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://www.team.net/pipermail/fot<br>
t/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]</a><=
br>
<br>
<br>
</div></blockquote></div>

--000000000000f07cd80607992434--

--===============0098206907273045743==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot

--===============0098206907273045743==--

---

From: Joe Boruch via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 14:37:07 +0000 (UTC)

--===============8188489765468379473==
	boundary="----=_Part_11383550_1745319409.1697207827397"

------=_Part_11383550_1745319409.1697207827397
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

 Anthony, while not the same engine or exactly what you asked about, I have=
 used magnets to hold the lifters up on my TR3 engine to pull the cam out.=
=C2=A0 Still need to take apart the front of the engine and remove radiator=
 to make enough room to work and get cam out.=C2=A0=C2=A0JoeB
    On Friday, October 13, 2023 at 09:16:04 AM EDT, Anthony Parker via Fot =
<[email-masked]> wrote: =20
=20
  Has anyone successfully modified the 6 cyl. heads to allow for tappet rem=
oval with the head installed on the block?I would really like to be able to=
 check for tappet and cam wear without the trouble of removing the head.
Thank you,_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

o.com

 =20
------=_Part_11383550_1745319409.1697207827397
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><head></head><body><div class="ydp2f6f901dyahoo-style-wrap" style="font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><div></div>
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">Anthony, while not the same engine or exactly what you asked about, I have used magnets to hold the lifters up on my TR3 engine to pull the cam out.&nbsp; Still need to take apart the front of the engine and remove radiator to make enough room to work and get cam out.&nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">JoeB</div><div><br></div>
        
        </div><div id="ydpad026502yahoo_quoted_7291871391" class="ydpad026502yahoo_quoted">
            <div style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;color:#26282a;">
                
                <div>
                    On Friday, October 13, 2023 at 09:16:04 AM EDT, Anthony Parker via Fot &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:
                </div>
                <div><br></div>
                <div><br></div>
                <div><div id="ydpad026502yiv2281361394">

<div dir="ltr">
<div style="font-family:Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0, 0, 0);" class="ydpad026502yiv2281361394elementToProof">
Has anyone successfully modified the 6 cyl. heads to allow for tappet removal with the head installed on the block?</div>
<div style="font-family:Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0, 0, 0);" class="ydpad026502yiv2281361394elementToProof">
I would really like to be able to check for tappet and cam wear without the trouble of removing the head.</div>
<div style="font-family:Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0, 0, 0);" class="ydpad026502yiv2281361394elementToProof">
<br>
</div>
<div style="font-family:Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0, 0, 0);" class="ydpad026502yiv2281361394elementToProof">
Thank you,</div>
</div>

</div>_______________________________________________<br><a href="mailto:[email-masked]" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">[email-masked]</a><br><br><a href="http://www.fot-racing.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br><br>Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive: <a href="http://autox.team.net/archive" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a> <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot</a><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]</a><br><br><br></div>
            </div>
        </div></body></html>
------=_Part_11383550_1745319409.1697207827397--

--===============8188489765468379473==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============8188489765468379473==--

---

From: fubog1 via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 14:46:06 +0000 (UTC)

--===============5236730405630479934==
	boundary="----=_Part_15224854_286276084.1697208366983"

------=_Part_15224854_286276084.1697208366983
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

 Nope, not that I'm aware of, it would be nice though.Mr dial indicator is your friend, although it won't tell the condition of the cam/tappet interface, you'll know if the lobes are starting to wear.
Glen Efinger

    On Friday, October 13, 2023 at 09:13:41 AM EDT, Anthony Parker via Fot <[email-masked]> wrote:  
 
  Has anyone successfully modified the 6 cyl. heads to allow for tappet removal with the head installed on the block?I would really like to be able to check for tappet and cam wear without the trouble of removing the head.
Thank you,_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

  
------=_Part_15224854_286276084.1697208366983
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><head></head><body><div class="ydp47af4801yahoo-style-wrap" style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:16px;"><div></div>
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">Nope, not that I'm aware of, it would be nice though.</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">Mr dial indicator is your friend, although it won't tell the condition of the cam/tappet interface, you'll know if the lobes are starting to wear.</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false"><br></div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">Glen Efinger<br></div><div><br></div>
        
        </div><div id="ydp7afab6f3yahoo_quoted_8205218178" class="ydp7afab6f3yahoo_quoted">
            <div style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;color:#26282a;">
                
                <div>
                    On Friday, October 13, 2023 at 09:13:41 AM EDT, Anthony Parker via Fot &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:
                </div>
                <div><br></div>
                <div><br></div>
                <div><div id="ydp7afab6f3yiv0702057606">

<div dir="ltr">
<div style="font-family:Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0, 0, 0);" class="ydp7afab6f3yiv0702057606elementToProof">
Has anyone successfully modified the 6 cyl. heads to allow for tappet removal with the head installed on the block?</div>
<div style="font-family:Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0, 0, 0);" class="ydp7afab6f3yiv0702057606elementToProof">
I would really like to be able to check for tappet and cam wear without the trouble of removing the head.</div>
<div style="font-family:Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0, 0, 0);" class="ydp7afab6f3yiv0702057606elementToProof">
<br>
</div>
<div style="font-family:Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0, 0, 0);" class="ydp7afab6f3yiv0702057606elementToProof">
Thank you,</div>
</div>

</div>_______________________________________________<br><a href="mailto:[email-masked]" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">[email-masked]</a><br><br><a href="http://www.fot-racing.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br><br>Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive: <a href="http://autox.team.net/archive" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a> <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot</a><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]</a><br><br><br></div>
            </div>
        </div></body></html>
------=_Part_15224854_286276084.1697208366983--

--===============5236730405630479934==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============5236730405630479934==--

---

From: Michael Moore via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 14:57:03 +0000

--===============2778904061920274482==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_CH2PR04MB6856F299461286ADA1E3110DB4D2ACH2PR04MB6856namp_"

--_000_CH2PR04MB6856F299461286ADA1E3110DB4D2ACH2PR04MB6856namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_CH2PR04MB6856F299461286ADA1E3110DB4D2ACH2PR04MB6856namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_CH2PR04MB6856F299461286ADA1E3110DB4D2ACH2PR04MB6856namp_--

--===============2778904061920274482==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============2778904061920274482==--

---

From: yellow04 via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 12:10:13 -0400

--===============9110068081655292945==
 boundary="=_82617e5af770e996ae1707ef18ee14e8"

--=_82617e5af770e996ae1707ef18ee14e8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
 format=flowed

I just monitor valve lash closely, if a valve suddenly gets way loose we
have a problem. Pulling tappets just to put an eyeball on them between
times when the head needs to come off seems like a valuable thing to
have, but I am don't think it is worth the effort to modify the head. As
Jason states, there is always a chance of not enough material where it
needs to be. I like to run the engine with the valve cover off for a few
seconds every few events to verify the push rods are spinning, if all
are spinning that indicates to me the cam/tappet interface should be
doing what it is supposed to. Yes, oil splashing about is an issue doing
this, don't rev the motor! 

If you are truly intent on seeing the tappet face and the cam lobe, I
see no reason you couldn't use a borescope. You would need to pull the
tappet out of its bore, lay it on its side on the shelf above the tappet
bores, and fish the borescope down there for a quick view, then
reinstall the tappet. If I had reason to suspect one bad lifter, I might
try this, but to do all 12, I don't think so. 

On a related note, I know getting lifters lined up in their galleries
with the head installed on the wet liner TR engines is a real treat. The
good news is if you turn the engine upside down on the engine stand
without the rocker shaft and push rods in place, after you suffer
through the agony of fishing all the tappets back into the bores with
your only access through the push rod tubes, you will have learned a
valuable lesson and never pull off that rookie error again!  Don't ask
how I know this... 

Henry  

On 2023-10-13 08:35, Anthony Parker via Fot wrote:

> Has anyone successfully modified the 6 cyl. heads to allow for tappet removal with the head installed on the block? 
> I would really like to be able to check for tappet and cam wear without the trouble of removing the head.
--=_82617e5af770e996ae1707ef18ee14e8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=
=3DUTF-8" /></head><body style=3D'font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana,Gen=
eva,sans-serif'>
<p>I just monitor valve lash closely, if a valve suddenly gets way loose we=
 have a problem. Pulling tappets just to put an eyeball on them between tim=
es when the head needs to come off seems like a valuable thing to have, but=
 I am don't think it is worth the effort to modify the head. As Jason state=
s, there is always a chance of not enough material where it needs to be. I =
like to run the engine with the valve cover off for a few seconds every few=
 events to verify the push rods are spinning, if all are spinning that indi=
cates to me the cam/tappet interface should be doing what it is supposed to=
=2E Yes, oil splashing about is an issue doing this, don't rev the motor!</=
p>
<p>If you are truly intent on seeing the tappet face and the cam lobe, I se=
e no reason you couldn't use a borescope. You would need to pull the tappet=
 out of its bore, lay it on its side on the shelf above the tappet bores, a=
nd fish the borescope down there for a quick view, then reinstall the tappe=
t. If I had reason to suspect one bad lifter, I might try this, but to do a=
ll 12, I don't think so.</p>
<p>On a related note, I know getting lifters lined up in their galleries wi=
th the head installed on the wet liner TR engines is a real treat. The good=
 news is if you turn the engine upside down on the engine stand without the=
 rocker shaft and push rods in place, after you suffer through the agony of=
 fishing all the tappets back into the bores with your only access through =
the push rod tubes, you will have learned a valuable lesson and never pull =
off that rookie error again!&nbsp; Don't ask how I know this...</p>
<p>Henry&nbsp;</p>
<p id=3D"reply-intro">On 2023-10-13 08:35, Anthony Parker via Fot wrote:</p=
<blockquote type=3D"cite" style=3D"padding: 0 0.4em; border-left: #1010ff 2=
px solid; margin: 0">
<div id=3D"replybody1">
<style type=3D"text/css">#replybody1 P {margin-top:0;
margin-bottom:0}</style>
<div dir=3D"ltr">
<div class=3D"v1elementToProof" style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, s=
ans-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: #000000;">Has anyone successfully modifi=
ed the 6 cyl. heads to allow for tappet removal with the head installed on =
the block?</div>
<div class=3D"v1elementToProof" style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, s=
ans-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: #000000;">I would really like to be able=
 to check for tappet and cam wear without the trouble of removing the head=
=2E</div>
</div>
</div>
</blockquote>
</body></html>

--=_82617e5af770e996ae1707ef18ee14e8--

--===============9110068081655292945==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============9110068081655292945==--