Subject: [Fot] Beaten By Equipment

From: marty sukey via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 18:00:12 +0000

--===============2643190596613916593==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_PH0PR15MB51671AEE717734EFF777F163BACA9PH0PR15MB5167namp_"

--_000_PH0PR15MB51671AEE717734EFF777F163BACA9PH0PR15MB5167namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

My Jefferson 500 weekend has been cut short by a broken crankshaft key. Pos=
t break inspection in the paddock shows some weird stuff going on.  The key=
 itself only engaged into the crank sprocket for a length of about 3/16 to =
1/4 inch.  It is at this point where it sheared off. The crank is a NOS Mol=
dex that was made probably 25 years ago. I installed it a couple of years a=
go, it probably has 3 race events on it. When I look at the location of the=
 keyway in the Moldex crank and compare it to a stock Spitfire 1296 crank i=
t looks like the keyway has been machined about 1/4 inch forward on the Mol=
dex. I did not pay any attention to this upon assembly, never gave it a tho=
ught. This did not allow for enough engagement into the crank sprocket me t=
hinks. My thoughts are to have a new keyway machined into the crank farther=
 back.  Has anybody else seen anything like this?  The Jefferson 500 was no=
t kind to Spitfires. 3 for 3 went down for the count due to issues.

Marty

--_000_PH0PR15MB51671AEE717734EFF777F163BACA9PH0PR15MB5167namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"> P {margin-top:0;margin-bo=
ttom:0;} </style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
My Jefferson 500 weekend has been cut short by a broken crankshaft key. Pos=
t break inspection in the paddock shows some weird stuff going on.&nbsp; Th=
e key itself only engaged into the crank sprocket for a length of about 3/1=
6 to 1/4 inch.&nbsp; It is at this point where
 it sheared off. The crank is a NOS Moldex that was made probably 25 years =
ago. I installed it a couple of years ago, it probably has 3 race events on=
 it. When I look at the location of the keyway in the Moldex crank and comp=
are it to a stock Spitfire 1296
 crank it looks like the keyway has been machined about 1/4 inch forward on=
 the Moldex. I did not pay any attention to this upon assembly, never gave =
it a thought. This did not allow for enough engagement into the crank sproc=
ket me thinks. My thoughts are to
 have a new keyway machined into the crank farther back.&nbsp; Has anybody =
else seen anything like this?&nbsp; The Jefferson 500 was not kind to Spitf=
ires. 3 for 3 went down for the count due to issues.</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
Marty</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_PH0PR15MB51671AEE717734EFF777F163BACA9PH0PR15MB5167namp_--

--===============2643190596613916593==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot

--===============2643190596613916593==--

---

From: "John H. Hasty via Fot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 20:54:59 +0000

--===============0447725965898589529==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_BEB5DF3EBBCA4CB5B5B5314BFD4EC2C2mhclawcom_"

--_000_BEB5DF3EBBCA4CB5B5B5314BFD4EC2C2mhclawcom_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_BEB5DF3EBBCA4CB5B5B5314BFD4EC2C2mhclawcom_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_BEB5DF3EBBCA4CB5B5B5314BFD4EC2C2mhclawcom_--

--===============0447725965898589529==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============0447725965898589529==--