Subject: Re: [Fot] Aluminium radiators

From: Robert Lang via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 21:05:22 +0000 (UTC)

--===============1518155344801819700==
	boundary="----=_Part_1219016_368379164.1641243922717"

------=_Part_1219016_368379164.1641243922717
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

 There are a bunch of answers here, but a lot of TR6 crowd buys them from Wizard Radiator (www.wizardcooling.com)
There's a guy on the Triumphs list - Art Lipp - that sells the Wizards at a discount.
My one concern about aluminium radiators is that most of the time you can't fix them, so if you crack them, it's in the bin for 'em. Copper / brass is more forgiving. Ally does have the "wow" factor, though.
c ya,rml

    On Monday, January 3, 2022, 03:55:59 PM EST, robert bownes via Fot <[email-masked]> wrote:  

Wise(ned) ones,
Where are folks getting (street) Al radiators nowadays? Just got the original TR6 rad back from the local radiator shop with an estimate of ~$360 to re-core, re-cap the lower end, and get rid of all the acorns the squirrels have thoughtfully stashed in mine, so I figure it's probably cheaper to get a new Al one than press my luck with the original. 

I found 3 row versions for a bit under $200, but they don't seem to know much about Triumphs (the pictures have the inlet/outlet pointing in the wrong directions) so I figured I'd check here...
Stay fast!Bob

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot

------=_Part_1219016_368379164.1641243922717
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><head></head><body><div class="ydp55b5b3c5yahoo-style-wrap" style="font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><div></div>
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">There are a bunch of answers here, but a lot of TR6 crowd buys them from Wizard Radiator (www.wizardcooling.com)</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false"><br></div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">There's a guy on the Triumphs list - Art Lipp - that sells the Wizards at a discount.</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false"><br></div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">My one concern about aluminium radiators is that most of the time you can't fix them, so if you crack them, it's in the bin for 'em. Copper / brass is more forgiving. Ally does have the "wow" factor, though.</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false"><br></div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">c ya,</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">rml<br></div><div><br></div>
        
        </div><div id="ydp530db442yahoo_quoted_1346791563" class="ydp530db442yahoo_quoted">
            <div style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;color:#26282a;">
                
                <div>
                    On Monday, January 3, 2022, 03:55:59 PM EST, robert bownes via Fot &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:
                </div>
                <div><br></div>
                <div><br></div>
                <div><div id="ydp530db442yiv1783638672"><div dir="ltr"><div><br></div><div>Wise(ned) ones,</div><div><br></div><div>Where are folks getting (street) Al radiators nowadays? Just got the original TR6 rad back from the local radiator shop with an estimate of ~$360 to re-core, re-cap the lower end, and get rid of all the acorns the squirrels have thoughtfully stashed in mine, so I figure it's probably cheaper to get a new Al one than press my luck with the original. <br></div><div><br></div><div>I found 3 row versions for a bit under $200, but they don't seem to know much about Triumphs (the pictures have the inlet/outlet pointing in the wrong directions) so I figured I'd check here...</div><div><br></div><div>Stay fast!</div><div>Bob</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
</div>_______________________________________________<br><a href="mailto:[email-masked]" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">[email-masked]</a><br><br><a href="http://www.fot-racing.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br><br>Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive: <a href="http://autox.team.net/archive " rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive </a><a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot</a><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]</a><br><br><br></div>
            </div>
        </div></body></html>
------=_Part_1219016_368379164.1641243922717--

--===============1518155344801819700==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot

--===============1518155344801819700==--

---

From: dustin nicholson via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 21:10:54 +0000 (UTC)

--===============6123438378175639816==
	boundary="----=_Part_1220904_1528472026.1641244254158"

------=_Part_1220904_1528472026.1641244254158
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

 I've bought my share of cheap ones online, you get what you pay for I gues=
s.=C2=A0 The one I got for the Stag was cheap and had to be shimmed and a m=
ounting hole moved over 1/4" to make it fit.=C2=A0 The TR6 one was a more e=
xpensive/reputable vendor but still sprung a leak after about 5 years in a =
seam location that can't be fixed, so I'm about to replace it again.=C2=A0 =
For the price of these things I've come to expect minor fitment issues and =
a limited life span.=C2=A0 My best aftermarket radiator was a plastic tank =
cross flow for the Spitfire racercar, out of a Ford Escort.=C2=A0 If there =
is a good brand of aluminum ones out there I'd like to know it.=C2=A0 In th=
e meantime I will keep buying cheap ones and consider it a consumable item.
Dusty Nicholson1957 TR3 EP #43
    On Monday, January 3, 2022, 02:56:20 PM CST, robert bownes via Fot <fot=
@autox.team.net> wrote: =20
=20
=20
Wise(ned) ones,
Where are folks getting (street) Al radiators nowadays? Just got the origin=
al TR6 rad back from the local radiator shop with an estimate of ~$360 to r=
e-core, re-cap the lower end, and get rid of all the acorns the squirrels h=
ave thoughtfully stashed in mine, so I figure it's probably cheaper to get =
a new Al one than press my luck with the original.=20

I found 3 row versions for a bit under $200, but they don't seem to know mu=
ch about Triumphs (the pictures have the inlet/outlet pointing in the wrong=
 directions) so I figured I'd check here...
Stay fast!Bob

[email-masked]

 =20
------=_Part_1220904_1528472026.1641244254158
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><head></head><body><div class="ydp587a282cyahoo-style-wrap" style="font-family:times new roman, new york, times, serif;font-size:13px;"><div></div>
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">I've bought my share of cheap ones online, you get what you pay for I guess.&nbsp; The one I got for the Stag was cheap and had to be shimmed and a mounting hole moved over 1/4" to make it fit.&nbsp; The TR6 one was a more expensive/reputable vendor but still sprung a leak after about 5 years in a seam location that can't be fixed, so I'm about to replace it again.&nbsp; For the price of these things I've come to expect minor fitment issues and a limited life span.&nbsp; My best aftermarket radiator was a plastic tank cross flow for the Spitfire racercar, out of a Ford Escort.&nbsp; If there is a good brand of aluminum ones out there I'd like to know it.&nbsp; In the meantime I will keep buying cheap ones and consider it a consumable item.</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false"><br></div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">Dusty Nicholson</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">1957 TR3 EP #43</div><div><br></div>
        
        </div><div id="ydp52bbb1c2yahoo_quoted_1890840651" class="ydp52bbb1c2yahoo_quoted">
            <div style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;color:#26282a;">
                
                <div>
                    On Monday, January 3, 2022, 02:56:20 PM CST, robert bownes via Fot &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:
                </div>
                <div><br></div>
                <div><br></div>
                <div><div id="ydp52bbb1c2yiv5352403860"><div dir="ltr"><div><br></div><div>Wise(ned) ones,</div><div><br></div><div>Where are folks getting (street) Al radiators nowadays? Just got the original TR6 rad back from the local radiator shop with an estimate of ~$360 to re-core, re-cap the lower end, and get rid of all the acorns the squirrels have thoughtfully stashed in mine, so I figure it's probably cheaper to get a new Al one than press my luck with the original. <br></div><div><br></div><div>I found 3 row versions for a bit under $200, but they don't seem to know much about Triumphs (the pictures have the inlet/outlet pointing in the wrong directions) so I figured I'd check here...</div><div><br></div><div>Stay fast!</div><div>Bob</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
</div>_______________________________________________<br><a href="mailto:[email-masked]" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">[email-masked]</a><br><br><a href="http://www.fot-racing.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br><br>Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive: <a href="http://autox.team.net/archive " rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive </a><a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot</a><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]</a><br><br><br></div>
            </div>
        </div></body></html>
------=_Part_1220904_1528472026.1641244254158--

--===============6123438378175639816==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============6123438378175639816==--

---

From: rek46 via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 21:14:22 +0000 (UTC)

--===============4671814720315220094==
	boundary="----=_Part_1210253_1778122280.1641244462549"

------=_Part_1210253_1778122280.1641244462549
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Contact=C2=A0 DeWitts Radiator..PHONE .517 548 -0600....Howell, Michigan=C2=
=A0 48843

In a message dated 1/3/2022 3:56:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email-masked]=
m.net writes:....make anything you want.=C2=A0
=C2=A0Wise(ned) ones,=C2=A0Where are folks getting (street) Al radiators no=
wadays? Just got the original TR6 rad back from the local radiator shop wit=
h an estimate of ~$360 to re-core, re-cap the lower end, and get rid of all=
 the acorns the squirrels have thoughtfully stashed in mine, so I figure it=
's probably cheaper to get a new Al one than press my luck with the origina=
l. =C2=A0I found 3 row versions for a bit under $200, but they don't seem t=
o know much about Triumphs (the pictures have the inlet/outlet pointing in =
the wrong directions) so I figured I'd check here...=C2=A0Stay fast!Bob=C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

------=_Part_1210253_1778122280.1641244462549
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<div>
<div class="userEdit" style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; color: #000000;"><span style="color: #000000; font-style: normal; font-weight: 400;">Contact&nbsp; DeWitts Radiator..PHONE .517 548 -0600....Howell, Michigan&nbsp; 48843<br></span></div>
<br>In a message dated 1/3/2022 3:56:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email-masked] writes:....make anything you want.
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div class="quotedReply">
<blockquote style="padding-left: 5px; margin-left: 5px; border-left: blue 2px solid;">
<div id="yiv3033124199">
<div dir="ltr">
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>Wise(ned) ones,</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>Where are folks getting (street) Al radiators nowadays? Just got the original TR6 rad back from the local radiator shop with an estimate of ~$360 to re-core, re-cap the lower end, and get rid of all the acorns the squirrels have thoughtfully stashed in mine, so I figure it's probably cheaper to get a new Al one than press my luck with the original. </div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>I found 3 row versions for a bit under $200, but they don't seem to know much about Triumphs (the pictures have the inlet/outlet pointing in the wrong directions) so I figured I'd check here...</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>Stay fast!</div>
<div>Bob</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
</div>
<span style="background-color: transparent; color: #000000; font-family: Arial; font-size: small;">_______________________________________________<br><a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br><br><a href="http://www.fot-racing.com" target="_blank" rel="noopener">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br><br>Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" target="_blank" rel="noopener">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive: <a href="http://autox.team.net/archive" target="_blank" rel="noopener">http://autox.team.net/archive </a><a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot" target="_blank" rel="noopener">http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot</a><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]" target="_blank" rel="noopener">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]</a><br><br><br></span></blockquote>
</div>
</div>
------=_Part_1210253_1778122280.1641244462549--

--===============4671814720315220094==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============4671814720315220094==--

---

From: Scott Janzen via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 17:00:40 -0500

--===============0859770960818764718==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_DA6CEB25-5A8F-40C5-A7CD-DDACC064F5C8"

--Apple-Mail=_DA6CEB25-5A8F-40C5-A7CD-DDACC064F5C8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

I got a custom radiator for the GT6 from Wizard a few months ago, and it =
is really beautiful craftsmanship.  I had them duplicate the dimensions =
of one I got twelve years ago from an outfit that went out of business.  =
They copied it perfectly. About a 6-8 week leadtime, maybe less if you =
are getting off-the-shelf.

I will say that I=E2=80=99d had the prior one repaired a few times - =
they can be welded or sealed depending on where the damage is.  The last =
time I did some serious damage to it, so it was truly irreparable.

Much, much lighter than stock, too.

Scott

On Jan 3, 2022, at 4:05 PM, Robert Lang via Fot <[email-masked]> =
wrote:

There are a bunch of answers here, but a lot of TR6 crowd buys them from =
Wizard Radiator (www.wizardcooling.com)

There's a guy on the Triumphs list - Art Lipp - that sells the Wizards =
at a discount.

My one concern about aluminium radiators is that most of the time you =
can't fix them, so if you crack them, it's in the bin for 'em. Copper / =
brass is more forgiving. Ally does have the "wow" factor, though.

c ya,
rml

On Monday, January 3, 2022, 03:55:59 PM EST, robert bownes via Fot =
<[email-masked]> wrote:

Wise(ned) ones,

Where are folks getting (street) Al radiators nowadays? Just got the =
original TR6 rad back from the local radiator shop with an estimate of =
~$360 to re-core, re-cap the lower end, and get rid of all the acorns =
the squirrels have thoughtfully stashed in mine, so I figure it's =
probably cheaper to get a new Al one than press my luck with the =
original.=20

I found 3 row versions for a bit under $200, but they don't seem to know =
much about Triumphs (the pictures have the inlet/outlet pointing in the =
wrong directions) so I figured I'd check here...

Stay fast!
Bob

http://www.fot-racing.com <http://www.fot-racing.com/>

<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive  =
<http://autox.team.net/archive>http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot =
<http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked] =
<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]>

Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

--Apple-Mail=_DA6CEB25-5A8F-40C5-A7CD-DDACC064F5C8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D"">I =
got a custom radiator for the GT6 from Wizard a few months ago, and it =
is really beautiful craftsmanship. &nbsp;I had them duplicate the =
dimensions of one I got twelve years ago from an outfit that went out of =
business. &nbsp;They copied it perfectly. About a 6-8 week leadtime, =
maybe less if you are getting off-the-shelf.<div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">I will say that I=E2=80=99d had the =
prior one repaired a few times - they can be welded or sealed depending =
on where the damage is. &nbsp;The last time I did some serious damage to =
it, so it was truly irreparable.</div><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">Much, much lighter than stock, =
too.</div><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">Scott<br =
class=3D""><div class=3D""><div><br class=3D""><div class=3D"">On Jan 3, =
2022, at 4:05 PM, Robert Lang via Fot &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><div =
class=3D""><div class=3D"ydp55b5b3c5yahoo-style-wrap" =
style=3D"font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, =
sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><div class=3D""></div>
        <div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false" class=3D"">There are a =
bunch of answers here, but a lot of TR6 crowd buys them from Wizard =
Radiator (<a href=3D"http://www.wizardcooling.com" =
class=3D"">www.wizardcooling.com</a>)</div><div dir=3D"ltr" =
data-setdir=3D"false" class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div dir=3D"ltr" =
data-setdir=3D"false" class=3D"">There's a guy on the Triumphs list - =
Art Lipp - that sells the Wizards at a discount.</div><div dir=3D"ltr" =
data-setdir=3D"false" class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div dir=3D"ltr" =
data-setdir=3D"false" class=3D"">My one concern about aluminium =
radiators is that most of the time you can't fix them, so if you crack =
them, it's in the bin for 'em. Copper / brass is more forgiving. Ally =
does have the "wow" factor, though.</div><div dir=3D"ltr" =
data-setdir=3D"false" class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div dir=3D"ltr" =
data-setdir=3D"false" class=3D"">c ya,</div><div dir=3D"ltr" =
data-setdir=3D"false" class=3D"">rml<br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div>
       =20
        </div><div id=3D"ydp530db442yahoo_quoted_1346791563" =
class=3D"ydp530db442yahoo_quoted">
            <div style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, =
Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;color:#26282a;" class=3D"">
               =20
                <div class=3D"">
                    On Monday, January 3, 2022, 03:55:59 PM EST, robert =
bownes via Fot &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:
                </div>
                <div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div>
                <div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div>
                <div class=3D""><div id=3D"ydp530db442yiv1783638672" =
class=3D""><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D""><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">Wise(ned) ones,</div><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">Where are folks getting (street) Al =
radiators nowadays? Just got the original TR6 rad back from the local =
radiator shop with an estimate of ~$360 to re-core, re-cap the lower =
end, and get rid of all the acorns the squirrels have thoughtfully =
stashed in mine, so I figure it's probably cheaper to get a new Al one =
than press my luck with the original. <br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">I found 3 row versions =
for a bit under $200, but they don't seem to know much about Triumphs =
(the pictures have the inlet/outlet pointing in the wrong directions) so =
I figured I'd check here...</div><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div=
 class=3D"">Stay fast!</div><div class=3D"">Bob</div><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div></div>
</div>_______________________________________________<br class=3D""><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br class=3D""><br class=3D""><a =
href=3D"http://www.fot-racing.com/" rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank" =
class=3D"">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br class=3D""><br =
class=3D"">Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" =
rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br class=3D"">Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/archive </a><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot" rel=3D"nofollow" =
target=3D"_blank" class=3D"">http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot</a><br =
class=3D"">Unsubscribe/Manage: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]"=
 rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]=
om</a><br class=3D""><br class=3D""><br class=3D""></div>
            </div>
        </div></div>_______________________________________________<br =
class=3D""><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br class=3D""><br =
class=3D"">http://www.fot-racing.com<br class=3D""><br class=3D"">Donate: =
http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot<br =
class=3D"">Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]<br class=3D""><br=
 class=3D""><br class=3D""></div></div><br =
class=3D""></div></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_DA6CEB25-5A8F-40C5-A7CD-DDACC064F5C8--

--===============0859770960818764718==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============0859770960818764718==--