Subject: Re: [Fot] Aluminum Radiators

From: rek46 via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 15:28:46 +0000 (UTC)

--===============0557007205354288564==
	boundary="----=_Part_1463807_367676176.1641310126652"

------=_Part_1463807_367676176.1641310126652
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

who did you sell for?

In a message dated 1/4/2022 9:31:49 AM Eastern Standard Time, [email-masked]=
m.net writes:=C2=A0

I have a little experience with aluminum radiators as I sold them for 10 ye=
ars. They are susceptible to electrolysis if you don=E2=80=99t keep a watch=
 on the coolant voltage. Yes it will show some small voltage but if too hig=
h a hole will occur in the tubes. Google electrolysis in auto radiators and=
 you=E2=80=99ll find some detailed information. May not be as much an issue=
 in race cars as our hobby cars but worth the education. Also a common alum=
inum radiator repair is the use of an epoxy. Works well if the aluminum is =
clean.

JVV
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot

------=_Part_1463807_367676176.1641310126652
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<div>
<div class="userEdit" style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; color: #000000;"><span style="color: #000000; font-style: normal; font-weight: 400;">who did you sell for?<br></span></div>
<br>In a message dated 1/4/2022 9:31:49 AM Eastern Standard Time, [email-masked] writes:
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div class="quotedReply">
<blockquote style="padding-left: 5px; margin-left: 5px; border-left: blue 2px solid;">
<div id="yiv3309035110">
<div>
<p class="yiv3309035110MsoNormal">I have a little experience with aluminum radiators as I sold them for 10 years. They are susceptible to electrolysis if you don&rsquo;t keep a watch on the coolant voltage. Yes it will show some small voltage but if too high a hole will occur in the tubes. Google electrolysis in auto radiators and you&rsquo;ll find some detailed information. May not be as much an issue in race cars as our hobby cars but worth the education. Also a common aluminum radiator repair is the use of an epoxy. Works well if the aluminum is clean.</p>
<p class="yiv3309035110MsoNormal">JVV</p>
</div>
</div>
<span style="background-color: transparent; color: #000000; font-family: Arial; font-size: small;">_______________________________________________<br><a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br><br><a href="http://www.fot-racing.com" target="_blank" rel="noopener">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br><br>Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" target="_blank" rel="noopener">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive: <a href="http://autox.team.net/archive" target="_blank" rel="noopener">http://autox.team.net/archive </a><a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot" target="_blank" rel="noopener">http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot</a><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]" target="_blank" rel="noopener">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]</a><br><br><br></span></blockquote>
</div>
</div>
------=_Part_1463807_367676176.1641310126652--

--===============0557007205354288564==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot

--===============0557007205354288564==--

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman via Fot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 07:33:04 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============9202872134260173669==
 boundary="------------2LaYbZuDUy9PspbRM6PRBM8A"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------2LaYbZuDUy9PspbRM6PRBM8A
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

On 1/4/22 6:31 AM, Jerry V V via Fot wrote:
>
> They are susceptible to electrolysis if you don’t keep a watch on the 
> coolant voltage.
>
cooling system electrolysis is the result of poor grounding and your 
coolant being used as an electrical ground path. Aluminum is a fairly 
active metal and in the presence of an electric field will act as an 
anode and give up an electron to move current through the coolant 
towards a ground source. The result is the aluminum metal being eaten 
away and a gritty build up on the cathode side of the electrical 
pathway. Commercial coolants have inhibitors that can slow this process 
until the inhibitor gets used up. Tap water has ions in suspension that 
can facilitate electrolysis.

What you need to do is provide lower resistance electrical pathways 
between the engine and the battery ground. A good bare metal to bare 
metal ground strap between the engine & frame is a good first step. 
Triumphs with the battery ground going to the body also needs a strap 
between the body and frame. If you have an alternator you should find a 
ground post on the case. Run a wire from the alternator case to the frame.

Make sure your coolant gets changed per the directions and mix it with 
distilled water to eliminate the ions in tap water that can help 
facilitate electrolysis. Commercial coolants are formulated to minimize 
electrolysis. Another thing you can do is replace your radiator drain 
valve with a zinc plug. Zinc is more chemically active than aluminum so 
will more easily give up its ions for electrical current flow. It 
becomes the sacrificial anode giving of itself instead of the aluminum.

Good grounds, fresh coolant, distilled water, and a zinc radiator plug 
together makes for happier aluminum bits in contact with coolant.

TeriAnn

--------------2LaYbZuDUy9PspbRM6PRBM8A
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 1/4/22 6:31 AM, Jerry V V via Fot
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:837c290643565ee51f4c64f66d3c16526573cd00@webmail">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <p class="MsoNormal">They are susceptible to electrolysis if you
        don’t keep a
        watch on the coolant voltage.</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>cooling system electrolysis is the result of poor grounding and
      your coolant being used as an electrical ground path. Aluminum is
      a fairly active metal and in the presence of an electric field
      will act as an anode and give up an electron to move current
      through the coolant towards a ground source. The result is the
      aluminum metal being eaten away and a gritty build up on the
      cathode side of the electrical pathway. Commercial coolants have
      inhibitors that can slow this process until the inhibitor gets
      used up. Tap water has ions in suspension that can facilitate
      electrolysis.</p>
    <p>What you need to do is provide lower resistance electrical
      pathways between the engine and the battery ground. A good bare
      metal to bare metal ground strap between the engine &amp; frame is
      a good first step. Triumphs with the battery ground going to the
      body also needs a strap between the body and frame. If you have an
      alternator you should find a ground post on the case. Run a wire
      from the alternator case to the frame.</p>
    <p>Make sure your coolant gets changed per the directions and mix it
      with distilled water to eliminate the ions in tap water that can
      help facilitate electrolysis. Commercial coolants are formulated
      to minimize electrolysis. Another thing you can do is replace your
      radiator drain valve with a zinc plug. Zinc is more chemically
      active than aluminum so will more easily give up its ions for
      electrical current flow. It becomes the sacrificial anode giving
      of itself instead of the aluminum.</p>
    <p>Good grounds, fresh coolant, distilled water, and a zinc radiator
      plug together makes for happier aluminum bits in contact with
      coolant.<br>
    </p>
    <p>TeriAnn<br>
    </p>
  </body>
</html>

--------------2LaYbZuDUy9PspbRM6PRBM8A--

--===============9202872134260173669==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============9202872134260173669==--

---

From: Scott Meredith via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 15:39:43 +0000 (UTC)

--===============4170420787266060354==
	boundary="----=_Part_1466755_508349122.1641310783302"

------=_Part_1466755_508349122.1641310783302
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Thanks TeriAnn - Great info. I didn't know any of that . . .

-----Original Message-----
From: TeriAnn J. Wakeman via Fot <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Tue, Jan 4, 2022 7:33 am
Subject: Re: [Fot] Aluminum Radiators

 =20
=20

They are susceptible to electrolysis if you don=E2=80=99t keep a watch on t=
he coolant voltage.
=20
cooling system electrolysis is the result of poor grounding and your coolan=
t being used as an electrical ground path. Aluminum is a fairly active meta=
l and in the presence of an electric field will act as an anode and give up=
 an electron to move current through the coolant towards a ground source. T=
he result is the aluminum metal being eaten away and a gritty build up on t=
he cathode side of the electrical pathway. Commercial coolants have inhibit=
ors that can slow this process until the inhibitor gets used up. Tap water =
has ions in suspension that can facilitate electrolysis.
=20
What you need to do is provide lower resistance electrical pathways between=
 the engine and the battery ground. A good bare metal to bare metal ground =
strap between the engine & frame is a good first step. Triumphs with the ba=
ttery ground going to the body also needs a strap between the body and fram=
e. If you have an alternator you should find a ground post on the case. Run=
 a wire from the alternator case to the frame.
=20
Make sure your coolant gets changed per the directions and mix it with dist=
illed water to eliminate the ions in tap water that can help facilitate ele=
ctrolysis. Commercial coolants are formulated to minimize electrolysis. Ano=
ther thing you can do is replace your radiator drain valve with a zinc plug=
. Zinc is more chemically active than aluminum so will more easily give up =
its ions for electrical current flow. It becomes the sacrificial anode givi=
ng of itself instead of the aluminum.
=20
Good grounds, fresh coolant, distilled water, and a zinc radiator plug toge=
ther makes for happier aluminum bits in contact with coolant.
=20
=20
TeriAnn

l.com

------=_Part_1466755_508349122.1641310783302
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div style=3D"font-size:10pt;font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;color:b=
lack;"><div style=3D"font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:10pt;=
color:black;">Thanks TeriAnn - Great info. I didn't know any of that . . .<=
br><br><br>-----Original Message-----<br>From: TeriAnn J. Wakeman via Fot &=
lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: [email-masked]<br>Sent: Tue, Jan 4, 20=
22 7:33 am<br>Subject: Re: [Fot] Aluminum Radiators<br><br></div><div id=3D=
"yiv2203749696"><div>
    <div id=3D"yiv2203749696yqtfd58585" class=3D"yiv2203749696yqt0707473901=
"><div class=3D"yiv2203749696moz-cite-prefix">On 1/4/22 6:31 AM, Jerry V V =
via Fot
      wrote:<br clear=3D"none">
    </div>
    <blockquote type=3D"cite">
      </blockquote></div></div><div id=3D"yiv2203749696yqtfd43359" class=3D=
"yiv2203749696yqt0707473901"></div><div><div id=3D"yiv2203749696yqtfd54804"=
 class=3D"yiv2203749696yqt0707473901"><p class=3D"yiv2203749696MsoNormal">T=
hey are susceptible to electrolysis if you
        don=E2=80=99t keep a
        watch on the coolant voltage.</p></div>
   =20
    <p>cooling system electrolysis is the result of poor grounding and
      your coolant being used as an electrical ground path. Aluminum is
      a fairly active metal and in the presence of an electric field
      will act as an anode and give up an electron to move current
      through the coolant towards a ground source. The result is the
      aluminum metal being eaten away and a gritty build up on the
      cathode side of the electrical pathway. Commercial coolants have
      inhibitors that can slow this process until the inhibitor gets
      used up. Tap water has ions in suspension that can facilitate
      electrolysis.</p>
    <p>What you need to do is provide lower resistance electrical
      pathways between the engine and the battery ground. A good bare
      metal to bare metal ground strap between the engine &amp; frame is
      a good first step. Triumphs with the battery ground going to the
      body also needs a strap between the body and frame. If you have an
      alternator you should find a ground post on the case. Run a wire
      from the alternator case to the frame.</p>
    <p>Make sure your coolant gets changed per the directions and mix it
      with distilled water to eliminate the ions in tap water that can
      help facilitate electrolysis. Commercial coolants are formulated
      to minimize electrolysis. Another thing you can do is replace your
      radiator drain valve with a zinc plug. Zinc is more chemically
      active than aluminum so will more easily give up its ions for
      electrical current flow. It becomes the sacrificial anode giving
      of itself instead of the aluminum.</p>
    <p>Good grounds, fresh coolant, distilled water, and a zinc radiator
      plug together makes for happier aluminum bits in contact with
      coolant.<br clear=3D"none">
    </p>
    <p>TeriAnn</p><div id=3D"yiv2203749696yqtfd28540" class=3D"yiv220374969=
6yqt0707473901"><br clear=3D"none">
    </div><div id=3D"yiv2203749696yqtfd85775" class=3D"yiv2203749696yqt0707=
473901">
  </div></div></div><div class=3D"yqt0707473901" id=3D"yqtfd83857">________=
_______________________________________<br clear=3D"none"><a shape=3D"rect"=
 ymailto=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">f=
[email-masked]</a><br clear=3D"none"><br clear=3D"none"><a shape=3D"rect=
" href=3D"http://www.fot-racing.com/" target=3D"_blank">http://www.fot-raci=
ng.com</a><br clear=3D"none"><br clear=3D"none">Donate: <a shape=3D"rect" h=
ref=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.n=
et/donate.html</a><br clear=3D"none">Archive: <a shape=3D"rect" href=3D"htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive=
 </a><a shape=3D"rect" href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot</a><br clear=3D"none">Unsubscrib=
e/Manage: <a shape=3D"rect" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/f=
ot/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/opti=
ons/fot/[email-masked]</a><br clear=3D"none"><br clear=3D"none"><br cle=
ar=3D"none"></div></div>
------=_Part_1466755_508349122.1641310783302--

--===============4170420787266060354==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============4170420787266060354==--