Subject: [Fot] TR3/4 ENGINE PARTS FOR SALE

From: Henry Giffin via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 02:35:33 -0500 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_000D_01D7D6A4.CE404CA0"

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01D7D6A4.CE404CA0
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

FoT - I am again selling these TR3/4 engine parts I purchased for a =
project
no longer in the works.  The attachment lists the parts as I bought =
them,
plus comments. A very experienced machinist went through them and
unfortunately there were problems with some of them the seller was not =
aware
of.  The machinist's appraisal and comments are below.

   I do not see a time when I will need these parts.  The seller does =
not
need them back.  I paid $5K and the seller said he had over $7700 in =
them.
But the head is probably not usable for racing, the cam is not usable, =
the
rods need reconditioning, and the Moldex crank needs a regrind and =
hardening
if you want to use a .030 crank.  There is still a lot of good stuff =
here.
I will accept a reasonable offer. =20

   I also have 3 parts at the bottom of this email not included in the
engine parts (Flywheel, Clutch, Detroit Locker)

   I can bring everything to the Turkey Bowl if desired.  Thanks, Hank

=20

MACHINIST'S COMMENTS :

"New parts appear OK to include-

Tappets 8X

Roller rocker assy

EC510 lower gasket set

Steel head gasket

Bronze v/guides 8X=20

Clevite .010 pair bearings rod 8X.

Set King main bearings .020.

Set copper figure-8

Set CPK868 040 liners

Set Wiseco 87mm custom pistons w/Grant ring set

Rolon timing chain

=20

Used OK-

ARP head stud set=20

Adj cam gear (some wear)

Rear seal housing

=20

=20

Head, can't tell how far the cracks may radiate inside.

The pins are all above a water jacket but could travel towards chamber,
impossible to tell how far they go.

The head may be perfectly usable but I would be a little nervous about =
it
and would not be inclined to take any chance with it.

Besides that, the seats have to be replaced and ports reworked to suit, =
they
are WAY too deep, especially on a performance application, this is very
basic stuff.

In any case it has parts value, ie valves, springs, hardware.  (Hank - =
this
head is probably usable on a street car but not for racing)

=20

Crank, it'll take $500-600 to get this crank liquid mag crack check, =
ground
to spec, and balanced.

Then it's a .030 regrind, and I would be concerned about how deep the
hardness is.

This may warrant a call to Moldex. ( Hank- Moldex says to regrind and
reharden would be $450)

Core value if not cracked, maybe 1k?

You have to consider that at .030, its life is about over, and a new one
would be a much better investment.  (Hank - yes, but this is a lot less
expensive.  So a trade off)

Crankshaft is undated used & reground Moldex, dimensions as follows-

Mains (std spec 2.4790-2.4795)

1- 2.4587

2- 2.4584

3- 2.4591

This indicates a regrind to .020 and a variation of .0007 would preclude
setting oil clearances to spec. The mains will require regrinding to =
.030
spec.

=20

Rod journals (std spec 2.0866-2.0866)

1- 2.0659

2- 2.0756

3- 2.0752

4- 2.0756

The #1 journal has been reground to .020. the others .010.  (Hank - not
understandable why this was done)

#1 journal also has several areas with original surface unground, =
indicating
prior damage to journal which necessitated a .020 regrind.

There is a .0004 variation between the other 3 journals and they are =
ground
outside the limit for regrind, so it's unlikely that they would fall =
within
the specs for required oil clearance anyway.

The rod journals will require grinding to .030 to exact spec.

=20

The rear seal journal is 2.4994 and in good condition.

=20

Connecting rods-

Small-end bushes appear to be new.

Big-end housing bore surface as removed from engine, not cleaned.

Heavy blackening/deposits on housing bores indicates poor bearing back
surface contact with housing bore prior to what was likely catastrophic
bearing failure.

Also some isolated burnished areas where bearing shells were starting to
'shuffle" after bearings started to deform & parting lines closed up.

Mic #1 rod housing bore, in spec, approx .0005 "cap shift".

Will require reconditioning to some degree as required.

(note these rods best done by manufacturer vs local machine shop.

=20

Cylinder head-

Small port big-valve 4A head w/port work.

Thickness is 3.170 and nearly all inlet shrouding has been removed

Center water port crack present and multiple drillings/pins crack
repair/stop drilled.

Crack-check surface center, see photos (I can provide if interested - =
Hank).

All valves/seats are too deep.

Did not check further, will require teardown, full crack-check & =
inspection
to determine suitability for use but will require valve seats to restore
valve height, at a minimum.

The cracks may not preclude using it but better used original cores & =
new
are available as alternatives.

Valves, retainers, springs all appear as new.

Head, can't tell how far the cracks may radiate inside.

The pins are all above a water jacket but could travel towards chamber,
impossible to tell how far they go.

The head may be perfectly usable but I would be a little nervous about =
it
and would not be inclined to take any chance with it.

Besides that, the seats have to be replaced and ports reworked to suit, =
they
are WAY too deep, especially on a performance application, this is very
basic stuff.

In any case it has parts value, ie valves, springs, hardware.

=20

=20

Block- Did NOT check housing bore, deck for square etc.

It's apparent that the liner seats have been machined, new cam bearings
fitted & ?

Will require detailed cleaning and inspection to determine condition.  =
(Hank
- the block appears to be very usable)

=20

Oil pump-

Used/recon?

Housing is brass-bushed.

Disassemble, oil ports have been opened up & rotors appear to be OK but =
it
has excessive shaft clearance/wobble, and way too much end clearance & =
end
plate wear.

The pump would be marginally serviceable but have a short service life.

=20

Used parts including hardware, sealing block, crank gear, dist shaft & =
gear,
oil sump, crank snout, stock pulley etc included but not inspected.

Some are routine replacement items, some usable as cores, some junk, not =
a
lot of real value in these parts in any case."

=20

OTHER PARTS NOT INCLUDED WITH ENGINE PARTS:

Fidanza flywheel #172441 T4 new in box (cost $369) - $200

Tilton Clutch 7 =BC #908Q/7261 new in box - $150

Detroit Locker used excellent (Summit sells new for $469) - $100

=20

Thanks, Hank

=20

Hank Giffin

757-375-1491

[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01D7D6A4.CE404CA0
	name="winmail.dat"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="winmail.dat"

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01D7D6A4.CE404CA0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01D7D6A4.CE404CA0--