Subject: [Fot] Greasing spicer u joints

From: Scott Janzen via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 17:17:26 -0500 definitions=2020-02-23_06:, , signatures=0 malwarescore=0 phishscore=0 bulkscore=0 spamscore=0 clxscore=1015 mlxscore=0 mlxlogscore=659 adultscore=0 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx scancount=1 engine=8.0.1-1908290000 definitions=main-2002230189

--===============8370900076174625026==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_34C4F984-B2C2-4EDB-971D-C924858F61D6"

--Apple-Mail=_34C4F984-B2C2-4EDB-971D-C924858F61D6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

Hi, tried to send this yesterday, but it did not go through.

> =EF=BB=BFThe GT6 has Spicer u joints without zerk fittings on the =
halfshafts and on the driveshaft. I have the entire rear end =
disassembled and am now inspecting the ujoints. They look good, no =
visible wear and there was no play in them when on the car. Do i just =
pull the cups and put some more grease in, or should the little buggers =
be totally cleaned, needle by needle and re-lubed?
> I=E2=80=99m always reluctant to change the order of anything, i.e. =
mixing up the needles.
> No way to flush them out with grease as one does with the ones with a =
grease fitting.

> Thoughts?

--Apple-Mail=_34C4F984-B2C2-4EDB-971D-C924858F61D6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D"">Hi, =
tried to send this yesterday, but it did not go through.<div =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D""><div><div dir=3D"auto" =
class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div dir=3D"ltr" =
class=3D"">=EF=BB=BF<span class=3D"">The GT6 has Spicer u joints without =
zerk fittings on the halfshafts and on the driveshaft. I have the entire =
rear end disassembled and am now inspecting the ujoints. They look good, =
no visible wear and there was no play in them when on the car. Do i just =
pull the cups and put some more grease in, or should the little buggers =
be totally cleaned, needle by needle and re-lubed?</span><br =
class=3D""><span class=3D"">I=E2=80=99m always reluctant to change the =
order of anything, i.e. mixing up the needles.</span><br class=3D""><span =
class=3D"">No way to flush them out with grease as one does with the =
ones with a grease fitting.</span><br class=3D""></div></blockquote><br =
class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div dir=3D"ltr" =
class=3D""><span class=3D"">Thoughts?</span><br =
class=3D""></div></blockquote></div></div><br =
class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_34C4F984-B2C2-4EDB-971D-C924858F61D6--

--===============8370900076174625026==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot

--===============8370900076174625026==--

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman via Fot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 15:51:17 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4779179702648841255==
 boundary="------------67EA068FD4E16C2CC38B91B9"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------67EA068FD4E16C2CC38B91B9
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Some U-joints have grease fittings and seals that allow grease to flow 
though so you can replace old grease with new.

Others have seals that seal in the grease and the water & dirt out. You 
cannot and should not grease sealed bearing U-joints. They are good for 
the life of the U-joint, meaning when the grease dies so does the 
U-joint. You can clean the outside of the U-joints and test them for 
looseness but that is about it.

TeriAnn

On 2/23/20 3:17 PM, Scott Janzen via Fot wrote:
>> ï»¿The GT6 has Spicer u joints without zerk fittings on the 
>> halfshafts and on the driveshaft. I have the entire rear end 
>> disassembled and am now inspecting the ujoints. They look good, no 
>> visible wear and there was no play in them when on the car. Do i just 
>> pull the cups and put some more grease in, or should the little 
>> buggers be totally cleaned, needle by needle and re-lubed?
>> Iâ€™m always reluctant to change the order of anything, i.e. mixing 
>> up the needles.
>> No way to flush them out with grease as one does with the ones with a 
>> grease fitting.
>
>> Thoughts?
>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 

Book - The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United States and 
Canada <http://overlandtravel.us>
2 years to write and 38 years of travel and camping to learn what to write

*Because the world beckons and life waits for no one*

--------------67EA068FD4E16C2CC38B91B9
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">Some U-joints have grease fittings and
      seals that allow grease to flow though so you can replace old
      grease with new.</div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix"><br>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">Others have seals that seal in the
      grease and the water &amp; dirt out. You cannot and should not
      grease sealed bearing U-joints. They are good for the life of the
      U-joint, meaning when the grease dies so does the U-joint. You can
      clean the outside of the U-joints and test them for looseness but
      that is about it.</div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix"><br>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">TeriAnn<br>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix"><br>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 2/23/20 3:17 PM, Scott Janzen via
      Fot wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      Hi, tried to send this yesterday, but it did not go through.
      <div class=""><br class="">
      </div>
      <div class="">
        <div>
          <div dir="auto" class="">
            <blockquote type="cite" class="">
              <div dir="ltr" class="">ï»¿<span class="">The GT6 has
                  Spicer u joints without zerk fittings on the
                  halfshafts and on the driveshaft. I have the entire
                  rear end disassembled and am now inspecting the
                  ujoints. They look good, no visible wear and there was
                  no play in them when on the car. Do i just pull the
                  cups and put some more grease in, or should the little
                  buggers be totally cleaned, needle by needle and
                  re-lubed?</span><br class="">
                <span class="">Iâ€™m always reluctant to change the
                  order of anything, i.e. mixing up the needles.</span><br
                  class="">
                <span class="">No way to flush them out with grease as
                  one does with the ones with a grease fitting.</span><br
                  class="">
              </div>
            </blockquote>
            <br class="">
            <blockquote type="cite" class="">
              <div dir="ltr" class=""><span class="">Thoughts?</span><br
                  class="">
              </div>
            </blockquote>
          </div>
        </div>
        <br class="">
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.fot-racing.com">http://www.fot-racing.com</a>

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot">http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
      <p align="center"><a href="http://overlandtravel.us">Book - The
          Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United States and
          Canada</a>
        <br>
        2 years to write and 38 years of travel and camping to learn
        what to write<br>
        <br>
        <b>Because the world beckons and life waits for no one</b></p>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

--------------67EA068FD4E16C2CC38B91B9--

--===============4779179702648841255==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============4779179702648841255==--