Subject: [Fot] Nomination

From: JOHN DAVIES via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 09:33:24 +0100 (BST)

------=_Part_69810_1307703.1558600404317
	boundary="----=_Part_69809_4831500.1558600404317"

------=_Part_69809_4831500.1558600404317
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I am honoured to be nominated to join the Friends of Triumph!
My thanks to all those who put me forward and supported me.
It may be that my current car, SofS, is more historic than I am - I built m=
y previous two race Vitesses, Old Blue from a standard Vitesse, and Silverb=
ack from a Herald 13/60 Estate.      SofS was first registered as a road ca=
r in 1970, and was modified for racing in about 1980, I don't know who by, =
but it was raced by Mike "Barney Rubble" Barnes in the UK TSSC series.     =
It then was owned by Mark Plausin and worked on by John Sadler of "Trioomph=
", who had his own Vitesse and raced together as a team.      I raced my fi=
rst, Old Blue Vitesse against them, and I enclose pictures of my car now an=
d then from the 90s, when John was driving it.      Old Blue went to the Gr=
eat Garage in the Sky in an accident, and I elected to build Silverback as =
an experiment in aerodynamics.  Inspired by the Volvo estates then racing i=
n the British Touring Car Championship, I went further and built it rear-ra=
diatored, with a front spoiler from Old Blue and side skirts, to minimise u=
ndercar airflow.     I can't claim any down force, but I think we had less =
lift!
Wiped out on the N=C3=BCrburgring by a Group 2 Porsche, two weeks later I f=
ound SofS on sale from the back of Mark Plausin's barn.    It was meant to =
be mine!    But twelve years of storage,  some ill-advised suspension and e=
ngine building had taken their toll, and I transplanted the engine, front a=
nd rear suspension from Silverback into it, and named it Son of Silverback,=
 SofS, as it had so many of it's father's parts.      Mark had a GRP coupe =
roof on it, as had Old Blue because of the Regs of one series we ran in, an=
d after the glasshouse of the estate I found that cramped and pokey.   So I=
 fitted the roof from Old Blue and SofS has its grandfather's hat on as wel=
l!
Since then, we've competed in the Classic Sports Car Club Swinging 60s (!) =
series, been to Le Mans (to visit the Classic) and Spa (to race).   Current=
ly working on a new 2.5L engine to complement the Lucas Pi that is fitted.
Some pics enclosed, of SofS today, and long ago next to Old Blue.   And for=
 completeness, of Silverback in it's pomp.
Best wishes, and looking forward to news of US Triumph racing!
JOhn
------=_Part_69809_4831500.1558600404317
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div>I am honoured to be nominated to join the Friends of Triumph!</div><di=
v>My thanks to all those who put me forward and supported me.</div><div><br=
></div><div>It may be that my current car, SofS, is more historic than I am=
 - I built my previous two race Vitesses, Old Blue from a standard Vitesse,=
 and Silverback from a Herald 13/60 Estate. &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; SofS was fi=
rst registered as a road car in 1970, and was modified for racing in about =
1980, I don't know who by, but it was raced by Mike "Barney Rubble" Barnes =
in the UK TSSC series. &nbsp; &nbsp; It then was owned by Mark Plausin and =
worked on by John Sadler of "Trioomph", who had his own Vitesse and raced t=
ogether as a team. &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; I raced my first, Old Blue Vitesse a=
gainst them, and I enclose pictures of my car now and then from the 90s, wh=
en John was driving it. &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; Old Blue went to the Great Gara=
ge in the Sky in an accident, and I elected to build Silverback as an exper=
iment in aerodynamics.&nbsp; Inspired by the Volvo estates then racing in t=
he British Touring Car Championship, I went further and built it rear-radia=
tored, with a front spoiler from Old Blue and side skirts, to minimise unde=
rcar airflow. &nbsp; &nbsp; I can't claim any down force, but I think we ha=
d less lift!</div><div><br></div><div>Wiped out on the N=C3=BCrburgring by =
a Group 2 Porsche, two weeks later I found SofS on sale from the back of Ma=
rk Plausin's barn. &nbsp;&nbsp; It was meant to be mine! &nbsp;&nbsp; But t=
welve years of storage,&nbsp; some ill-advised suspension and engine buildi=
ng had taken their toll, and I transplanted the engine, front and rear susp=
ension from Silverback into it, and named it Son of Silverback, SofS, as it=
 had so many of it's father's parts. &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; Mark had a GRP cou=
pe roof on it, as had Old Blue because of the Regs of one series we ran in,=
 and after the glasshouse of the estate I found that cramped and pokey. &nb=
sp; So I fitted the roof from Old Blue and SofS has its grandfather's hat o=
n as well!</div><div><br></div><div>Since then, we've competed in the Class=
ic Sports Car Club Swinging 60s (!) series, been to Le Mans (to visit the C=
lassic) and Spa (to race). &nbsp; Currently working on a new 2.5L engine to=
 complement the Lucas Pi that is fitted.</div><div><br></div><div>Some pics=
 enclosed, of SofS today, and long ago next to Old Blue. &nbsp; And for com=
pleteness, of Silverback in it's pomp.</div><div><br></div><div>Best wishes=
, and looking forward to news of US Triumph racing!</div><div><br></div><di=
v>JOhn</div>
------=_Part_69809_4831500.1558600404317--

------=_Part_69810_1307703.1558600404317
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Nurburgring 2007 019.jpg"

------=_Part_69810_1307703.1558600404317
	name="Green Vitesse with John Sadler, Pembrey 1994.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; 
	filename="Green Vitesse with John Sadler, Pembrey 1994.jpg"

------=_Part_69810_1307703.1558600404317
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Bo'ness 2018.jpg"

------=_Part_69810_1307703.1558600404317
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot

------=_Part_69810_1307703.1558600404317--