Subject: [Fot] GT6 crankshaft prep for mild race use

From: jsukey at gmail.com (Jason Sukey)
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2018 17:25:51 -0400

I'm finally looking into my GT6 engine after parking it Friday of Kastner
Cup weekend.

Back story:
Car ran great and allowed me to complete the competition school Thursday (4
full sessions), but during my first practice session Friday, I pulled in
early with low oil pressure and an audible rod knock.
The #1 rod bearing was the source of the problem (extruded out the side
gap). That's the only bearing that shows failure.

Best I can tell it's a classic case of not enough oil to the front of the
engine on the 6 cyl block.
I was not running any auxiliary oil feeds- I plan on adding that, along
with modifying the oil galleries in the block "per The book".

My question is this:  For the GT6 crank on a very mild engine (shifting at
6200 or below), is there any need for the additional oil drilling in the
crank throws as suggested for the 1500 engines?  What are you other GT6
guys using?

At this point, if the crank passes mag check, I'm planning to have it
ground/balanced/nitrided and using it for the rebuild.

Thanks for the advice,
Jason
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/fot/attachments/20180903/1ab3945a/attachment.html>