Subject: [Fot] Results of wire wheel balance

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2016 15:28:13 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============7912352451810507232==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_005E_01D21BF8.73625830"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_005E_01D21BF8.73625830
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Now that the balancer is working and I can mount the wire wheels, I static
(single plane) balanced the two front wheels for the TR5.  I was getting a
pretty strong vibration at 75-80 MPH with the wheels as they were.  After
static balancing the vibration was reduced by about 80%.  So, some success.
I did notice that the LF has large axial runout.  I didn't ever bother to
measure the radial runout; the axial was so large.  Does anyone know of a
company that trues or tunes wire wheels in the SE Wisconsin area between
Milwaukee and Green Bay?  I live about half way in between in Fond du Lac,
WI.  My alternative is to ship them off to someplace like Hendrix in NC or
Dayton in OH.  Even the Chicago area would be preferable to shipping as
that's only about 3 hours from me.  Has anybody tried a Harley Davidson
dealer with any success?  Some of their wheels are bigger than the Triumphs.

Thanks for all of the input on balancing the wire wheels.  I'm still looking
into an adapter to mount the splined hub and use a modified knock off nut to
retain the wheel.

Tim Murphy

1961 TR4 #317 BRG

------=_NextPart_000_005E_01D21BF8.73625830
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Now that the balancer is working and I can mount the =
wire wheels, I static (single plane) balanced the two front wheels for =
the TR5.&nbsp; I was getting a pretty strong vibration at 75-80 MPH with =
the wheels as they were.&nbsp; After static balancing the vibration was =
reduced by about 80%.&nbsp; So, some success.&nbsp; I did notice that =
the LF has large axial runout.&nbsp; I didn&#8217;t ever bother to =
measure the radial runout; the axial was so large.&nbsp; Does anyone =
know of a company that trues or tunes wire wheels in the SE Wisconsin =
area between Milwaukee and Green Bay?&nbsp; I live about half way in =
between in Fond du Lac, WI.&nbsp; My alternative is to ship them off to =
someplace like Hendrix in NC or Dayton in OH.&nbsp; Even the Chicago =
area would be preferable to shipping as that&#8217;s only about 3 hours =
from me.&nbsp; Has anybody tried a Harley Davidson dealer with any =
success?&nbsp; Some of their wheels are bigger than the =
Triumphs.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Thanks for all of the input on balancing the wire =
wheels.&nbsp; I&#8217;m still looking into an adapter to mount the =
splined hub and use a modified knock off nut to retain the =
wheel.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Tim Murphy<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>1961 TR4 =
#317 BRG<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_005E_01D21BF8.73625830--

--===============7912352451810507232==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============7912352451810507232==--

---

From: Jack Brooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 22:52:57 +0000

--===============0398906443339209389==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_DM2PR08MB3190AB64519C0D04040A442A8C20DM2PR08MB319namprd_"

--_000_DM2PR08MB3190AB64519C0D04040A442A8C20DM2PR08MB319namprd_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Tim,

How about this?  Take an old splined hub adapter and pass it through the wh=
eel locking it in place with a knockoff which had been bored to the same di=
ameter of the balance machine shaft.  Will this leave you enough shaft leng=
th to hold the wheel/hub assembly on the balance machine?  The bored hole i=
n the knockoff will center the wheel in the machine and the back of the hub=
 adapter will square the assembly on the machine.  Will this be good enough=
?

Jack

From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of timmmurphh@gmail=
.com
Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2016 1:28 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Fot] Results of wire wheel balance

Now that the balancer is working and I can mount the wire wheels, I static =
(single plane) balanced the two front wheels for the TR5.  I was getting a =
pretty strong vibration at 75-80 MPH with the wheels as they were.  After s=
tatic balancing the vibration was reduced by about 80%.  So, some success. =
 I did notice that the LF has large axial runout.  I didn't ever bother to =
measure the radial runout; the axial was so large.  Does anyone know of a c=
ompany that trues or tunes wire wheels in the SE Wisconsin area between Mil=
waukee and Green Bay?  I live about half way in between in Fond du Lac, WI.=
  My alternative is to ship them off to someplace like Hendrix in NC or Day=
ton in OH.  Even the Chicago area would be preferable to shipping as that's=
 only about 3 hours from me.  Has anybody tried a Harley Davidson dealer wi=
th any success?  Some of their wheels are bigger than the Triumphs.

Thanks for all of the input on balancing the wire wheels.  I'm still lookin=
g into an adapter to mount the splined hub and use a modified knock off nut=
 to retain the wheel.

Tim Murphy
1961 TR4 #317 BRG

--_000_DM2PR08MB3190AB64519C0D04040A442A8C20DM2PR08MB319namprd_
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-micr=
osoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns=3D"http:=
//www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii"=
<meta name=3D"Generator" content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)">
<style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>
<body lang=3D"EN-US" link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72">
<div class=3D"WordSection1">
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Ti=
mes New Roman&quot;,serif;color:#1F497D">Tim,<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Ti=
mes New Roman&quot;,serif;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Ti=
mes New Roman&quot;,serif;color:#1F497D">How about this?&nbsp; Take an old =
splined hub adapter and pass it through the wheel locking it in place with =
a knockoff which had been bored to the same diameter
 of the balance machine shaft.&nbsp; Will this leave you enough shaft lengt=
h to hold the wheel/hub assembly on the balance machine?&nbsp; The bored ho=
le in the knockoff will center the wheel in the machine and the back of the=
 hub adapter will square the assembly on the
 machine.&nbsp; Will this be good enough?<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Ti=
mes New Roman&quot;,serif;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Ti=
mes New Roman&quot;,serif;color:#1F497D">Jack<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Ti=
mes New Roman&quot;,serif;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
<div>
<div style=3D"border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in">
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><b>From:</b> Fot [mailto:[email-masked]]=
 <b>On Behalf Of
</b>[email-masked]<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Saturday, October 01, 2016 1:28 PM<br>
<b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br>
<b>Subject:</b> [Fot] Results of wire wheel balance<o:p></o:p></p>
</div>
</div>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">Now that the balancer is working and I can mount the=
 wire wheels, I static (single plane) balanced the two front wheels for the=
 TR5.&nbsp; I was getting a pretty strong vibration at 75-80 MPH with the w=
heels as they were.&nbsp; After static balancing
 the vibration was reduced by about 80%.&nbsp; So, some success.&nbsp; I di=
d notice that the LF has large axial runout.&nbsp; I didn&#8217;t ever both=
er to measure the radial runout; the axial was so large.&nbsp; Does anyone =
know of a company that trues or tunes wire wheels in the SE
 Wisconsin area between Milwaukee and Green Bay?&nbsp; I live about half wa=
y in between in Fond du Lac, WI.&nbsp; My alternative is to ship them off t=
o someplace like Hendrix in NC or Dayton in OH.&nbsp; Even the Chicago area=
 would be preferable to shipping as that&#8217;s only
 about 3 hours from me.&nbsp; Has anybody tried a Harley Davidson dealer wi=
th any success?&nbsp; Some of their wheels are bigger than the Triumphs.<o:=
p></o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">Thanks for all of the input on balancing the wire wh=
eels.&nbsp; I&#8217;m still looking into an adapter to mount the splined hu=
b and use a modified knock off nut to retain the wheel.<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">Tim Murphy<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">1961 TR4 #317 BRG<o:p></o:p></p>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_DM2PR08MB3190AB64519C0D04040A442A8C20DM2PR08MB319namprd_--

--===============0398906443339209389==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============0398906443339209389==--