Subject: [Fot] mid-range versus later TR6 mainshaft question

From: "Bob Kramer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 11:26:28 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============0741316556559451952==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0001_01D222E9.251D5790"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D222E9.251D5790
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Friends 

I'm using an early 1973 overdrive mainshaft to build a close ratio box with
a J-type. The mainshaft was the type that used the earlier style washer
behind the 2nd gear bush with 3 keys locking it onto the splines of the
shaft, as opposed to the thicker washer with a ball bearing locking it on
the shaft on the later versions. I figured I could just drill an hole and
reuse the ball bearing but I am not having any success because the shaft is
too hard to drill. Has anyone else dealt with drilling this hole? If I grind
a flat spot on the shaft will it get me to softer steel so I can drill it?  

Bob

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D222E9.251D5790
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>Friends =
<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I&#8217;m using an early 1973 overdrive mainshaft to =
build a close ratio box with a J-type. The mainshaft was the type that =
used the earlier style washer behind the 2<sup>nd</sup> gear bush with 3 =
keys locking it onto the splines of the shaft, as opposed to the thicker =
washer with a ball bearing locking it on the shaft on the later =
versions. I figured I could just drill an hole and reuse the ball =
bearing but I am not having any success because the shaft is too hard to =
drill. Has anyone else dealt with drilling this hole? If I grind a flat =
spot on the shaft will it get me to softer steel so I can drill it? =
&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Bob<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D222E9.251D5790--

--===============0741316556559451952==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============0741316556559451952==--

---

From: "Enquiries Road & Track" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 08:13:33 +1000

--===============0198703931476120152==

--047d7beb93c24e00d0053e8a130e

i "drill"  them with a diamond bit on a dremel. they are fairly tough
steel, but the case hardening is only about 0.040" deep
Terry

--047d7beb93c24e00d0053e8a130e
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">i &quot;drill&quot; =C2=A0them with a diamond bit on a dre=
mel. they are fairly tough steel, but the case hardening is only about 0.04=
0&quot; deep<br clear=3D"all"><div><div class=3D"gmail_signature" data-smar=
tmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div><div dir=3D"ltr"><div><div =
dir=3D"ltr"><div><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Terry<br><br></div></div></div></div=
></div></div></div></div></div></div>
</div>

--047d7beb93c24e00d0053e8a130e--

--===============0198703931476120152==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============0198703931476120152==--