Subject: [Fot] Ignition System Preferences?

From: "Joe Guinan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 21:57:45 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============1083013266724426814==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0077_01D1D89A.984F1DA0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0077_01D1D89A.984F1DA0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Back in 2005 or so we had a long discussion of distributor problems; broken
mechanical advance tabs, junk condensers, and expensive replacement parts on
the Mallory Dual Point units, worn out parts on Lucas units that therefore
became ammunition in catapult battles, short life spans and improper phasing
for the Pertronix Ignitors, misfires on the MSD units from low battery
charging, etc. I think the "123 Ignition" was just being introduced around
that time.

So a decade or so later, what have we learned? What's working well, and what
have you given up on? I'm needing to decide which way to go on my Spitfire.
I have a couple Mallory DP's lying about and several different Lucas units I
could send off for refurbishing. I've looked at the Pertronix with their rev
limiter box, and it seems intriguing. I've not heard much about the
Pertronix or the 123 systems in racing use.  Knowing what you now know -
what would you recommend and what would you steer clear of?

The Spitfire will have an 1147 this season, and a 1296 is to be built this
next winter. Both will run Kastner A6 cam grinds that I just got back from
Ted at TSI. I'd look at 7000 rpm as a limit for now. I'm almost completely
inexperienced in regards to working on ignition systems, so I'd like
something with a shorter learning curve and a good reputation for
reliability.

Joe Guinan

Fremont, Nebraska

------=_NextPart_000_0077_01D1D89A.984F1DA0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>Back in =
2005 or so we had a long discussion of distributor problems; broken =
mechanical advance tabs, junk condensers, and expensive replacement =
parts on the Mallory Dual Point units, worn out parts on Lucas units =
that therefore became ammunition in catapult battles, short life spans =
and improper phasing for the Pertronix Ignitors, misfires on the MSD =
units from low battery charging, etc. I think the &#8220;123 =
Ignition&#8221; was just being introduced around that =
time.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>So a decade or so later, what have we learned? =
What&#8217;s working well, and what have you given up on? I&#8217;m =
needing to decide which way to go on my Spitfire. I have a couple =
Mallory DP&#8217;s lying about and several different Lucas units I could =
send off for refurbishing. I&#8217;ve looked at the Pertronix with their =
rev limiter box, and it seems intriguing. I&#8217;ve not heard much =
about the Pertronix or the 123 systems in racing use.&nbsp; Knowing what =
you now know &#8211; what would you recommend and what would you steer =
clear of?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The Spitfire will have an 1147 this season, and a 1296 =
is to be built this next winter. Both will run Kastner A6 cam grinds =
that I just got back from Ted at TSI. I&#8217;d look at 7000 rpm as a =
limit for now. I&#8217;m almost completely inexperienced in regards to =
working on ignition systems, so I&#8217;d like something with a shorter =
learning curve and a good reputation for reliability.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Joe =
Guinan<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Fremont, =
Nebraska<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0077_01D1D89A.984F1DA0--

--===============1083013266724426814==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============1083013266724426814==--