Subject: Re: [Fot] GT6 oil pan and thrust washer

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 21:03:27 -0400

--===============0266454713653686690==
	boundary="----=_Part_45996_1253358123.1466471007250"

------=_Part_45996_1253358123.1466471007250
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hey, Mike-  I just went through that with my 71 GT6.  You cannot drop the pan without raising the engine at least far enough to drop the pan.  You don't need to pull the engine, but you will have to raise it at least 6 inches.  The correct end float should be .004-.006.  A guy named Scott Helms has great thrust washers, a little expensive (approx $20 each, but well worth it).  If you are interested I will get you his number/email-- Jay De Pol

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Harmuth <[email-masked]>
To: FoTTriumph <[email-masked]>
Sent: Mon, Jun 20, 2016 6:25 pm
Subject: [Fot] GT6 oil pan and thrust washer

I just pulled the tranny in my 70 GT6. While it was off I checked the end play at the flywheel (easier than at the front pulley). I'm getting 0.018 so I'm assuming the thrust washer is showing some wear but didn't fall out (yet). I've taken the pan off a Spitfire while it's in the car, I'm assuming I can do that with GT6 but haven't done one yet. 

I'd just like to confirm it's possible before I spend any time on a useless quest or so I just bite the bullet and pull the engine out?

thanks

mike h

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

------=_Part_45996_1253358123.1466471007250
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<font color='black' size='2' face='arial'><font size="2">Hey, Mike-&nbsp; I just went through that with my 71 GT6.&nbsp; You cannot drop the pan without raising the engine at least far enough to drop the pan.&nbsp; You don't need to pull the engine, but you will have to raise it at least 6 inches.&nbsp; The correct end float should be .004-.006.&nbsp; A guy named Scott Helms has great thrust washers, a little expensive (approx $20 each, but well worth it).&nbsp; If you are interested I will get you his number/email-- Jay De Pol</font><br>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div style="font-family:helvetica,arial;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>

From: Mike Harmuth &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

To: FoTTriumph &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

Sent: Mon, Jun 20, 2016 6:25 pm<br>

Subject: [Fot] GT6 oil pan and thrust washer<br>

<br>

<div id="AOLMsgPart_1.2_53d5e8c7-b17c-4a63-a881-43e978adca15">

<div class="aolReplacedBody">

<div dir="ltr">

<div>

<div>I just pulled the tranny in my 70 GT6. While it was off I checked the end play at the flywheel (easier than at the front pulley). I'm getting 0.018 so I'm assuming the thrust washer is showing some wear but didn't fall out (yet). I've taken the pan off a Spitfire while it's in the car, I'm assuming I can do that with GT6 but haven't done one yet. <br>

<br>

I'd just like to confirm it's possible before I spend any time on a useless quest or so I just bite the bullet and pull the engine out?<br>

<br>

</div>

thanks<br>

</div>

mike h<br>

</div>

</div>

</div>

_______________________________________________<br>

<a removedlink__a6e32a06-b01a-4668-9cca-abe91fb45560__href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>

<br>

<a removedlink__a6e32a06-b01a-4668-9cca-abe91fb45560__href="http://www.fot-racing.com" target="_blank">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>

<br>

Archive: <a removedlink__a6e32a06-b01a-4668-9cca-abe91fb45560__href="http://www.team.net/archive" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>

Forums: <a removedlink__a6e32a06-b01a-4668-9cca-abe91fb45560__href="http://www.team.net/forums" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>

<br>

<br>

</div>

</font>
------=_Part_45996_1253358123.1466471007250--

--===============0266454713653686690==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============0266454713653686690==--

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 23:43:06 -0600

On the GT6 the pan extends past the steering rack, unlike the Spit. Good 
luck.

mjb.

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 06:34:14 -0400

--===============8143529615804644811==
	boundary="_16167166-B440-4C5B-8E06-530CCCD8B600_"

--_16167166-B440-4C5B-8E06-530CCCD8B600_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Can be done. But with trans already out just pull the motor. Hardest part a=
t this point is getting the bonnet off.=20

Well....for me it's convincing my wife to help me in the garage. It's alot =
easier with two sets of hands and at least one good back.

Good luck,
Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: "Mike Harmuth" <[email-masked]>
Sent: =E2=80=8E6/=E2=80=8E20/=E2=80=8E2016 6:47 PM
To: "FoTTriumph" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Fot] GT6 oil pan and thrust washer

I just pulled the tranny in my 70 GT6. While it was off I checked the end p=
lay at the flywheel (easier than at the front pulley). I'm getting 0.018 so=
 I'm assuming the thrust washer is showing some wear but didn't fall out (y=
et). I've taken the pan off a Spitfire while it's in the car, I'm assuming =
I can do that with GT6 but haven't done one yet.=20

I'd just like to confirm it's possible before I spend any time on a useless=
 quest or so I just bite the bullet and pull the engine out?

thanks

mike h=

--_16167166-B440-4C5B-8E06-530CCCD8B600_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=
=3Dutf-8"></head><body><div><div style=3D"font-family: Calibri,sans-serif; =
font-size: 11pt;">Can be done. But with trans already out just pull the mot=
or. Hardest part at this point is getting the bonnet off. <br><br>Well....f=
or me it's convincing my wife to help me in the garage. It's alot easier wi=
th two sets of hands and at least one good back.<br><br>Good luck,<br>Brian=
<br></div></div><div dir=3D"ltr"><hr><span style=3D"font-family: Calibri,sa=
ns-serif; font-size: 11pt; font-weight: bold;">From: </span><span style=3D"=
font-family: Calibri,sans-serif; font-size: 11pt;"><a href=3D"mailto:ofrace=
[email-masked]">Mike Harmuth</a></span><br><span style=3D"font-family: Calibri=
,sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; font-weight: bold;">Sent: </span><span style=
=3D"font-family: Calibri,sans-serif; font-size: 11pt;">=E2=80=8E6/=E2=80=8E=
20/=E2=80=8E2016 6:47 PM</span><br><span style=3D"font-family: Calibri,sans=
-serif; font-size: 11pt; font-weight: bold;">To: </span><span style=3D"font=
-family: Calibri,sans-serif; font-size: 11pt;"><a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.=
team.net">FoTTriumph</a></span><br><span style=3D"font-family: Calibri,sans=
-serif; font-size: 11pt; font-weight: bold;">Subject: </span><span style=3D=
"font-family: Calibri,sans-serif; font-size: 11pt;">[Fot] GT6 oil pan and t=
hrust washer</span><br><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr"><div><div>I just pulled t=
he tranny in my 70 GT6. While it was off I checked the end play at the flyw=
heel (easier than at the front pulley). I'm getting 0.018 so I'm assuming t=
he thrust washer is showing some wear but didn't fall out (yet). I've taken=
 the pan off a Spitfire while it's in the car, I'm assuming I can do that w=
ith GT6 but haven't done one yet. <br><br>I'd just like to confirm it's pos=
sible before I spend any time on a useless quest or so I just bite the bull=
et and pull the engine out?<br><br></div>thanks<br></div>mike h<br></div>=
=0A=
</body></html>=

--_16167166-B440-4C5B-8E06-530CCCD8B600_--

--===============8143529615804644811==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============8143529615804644811==--