Subject: [Fot] TR3 front end conversion to TR6 parts: Camber - moving the ball joint inward

From: Jack Brooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 22:34:14 -0700

--===============9137019157903636010==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_004A_01D1B2E7.BE06EF10"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_004A_01D1B2E7.BE06EF10
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I am hoping to upgrade the front suspension on my (street/AutoX) TR3 this
summer by changing out the upper A-arm, vertical link and trunnion to TR6
parts.  I will use "the" Jag ball joint and shim it as required.  Due to the
complexity of shortening the upper A-arm or moving the inner pivot point
inward, I am considering welding an extension to the upper A-Arm ball joint
mounting tabs on the inside to mount the ball joint further inward and
produce a similar result to shortening the A-arm.  I have not removed my TR3
A-Arms yet, but it appears there is room to move the ball joint inward at
least an inch in this way.  I know I can't go as far as those of you who
have shortened the upper arms, but it seems like it could be a decent
compromise.  I am concerned though, as this seems too easy.  None of you
guys have done it. Instead you have shortening the upper arms which, from
what I have read, is challenging, as is moving the inner pivot point and
retaining substantial structure.

So, the question is. . . . . . . Why is simply moving the ball joint further
inboard not a good solution?  What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

------=_NextPart_000_004A_01D1B2E7.BE06EF10
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'>I am hoping to upgrade the front suspension on my =
(street/AutoX) TR3 this summer by changing out the upper A-arm, vertical =
link and trunnion to TR6 parts.&nbsp; I will use &#8220;the&#8221; Jag =
ball joint and shim it as required.&nbsp; Due to the complexity of =
shortening the upper A-arm or moving the inner pivot point inward, I am =
considering welding an extension to the upper A-Arm ball joint mounting =
tabs on the inside to mount the ball joint further inward and produce a =
similar result to shortening the A-arm.&nbsp; I have not removed my TR3 =
A-Arms yet, but it appears there is room to move the ball joint inward =
at least an inch in this way.&nbsp; I know I can&#8217;t go as far as =
those of you who have shortened the upper arms, but it seems like it =
could be a decent compromise.&nbsp; I am concerned though, as this seems =
too easy.&nbsp; None of you guys have done it. Instead you have =
shortening the upper arms which, from what I have read, is challenging, =
as is moving the inner pivot point and retaining substantial =
structure.</span><o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'>&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman",serif'>So, the =
question is. . . . . . . Why is simply moving the ball joint further =
inboard not a good solution?&nbsp; What am I =
missing?<br><br></span><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman",serif'>Thanks in =
advance,<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'>Jack<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_004A_01D1B2E7.BE06EF10--

--===============9137019157903636010==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============9137019157903636010==--