Subject: [Fot] Valve seat crack

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 11:05:14 -0500

--===============0748837642146039363==
	boundary="_9D28D2FC-A46C-4FF6-9BA2-C8E790102EB0_"

--_9D28D2FC-A46C-4FF6-9BA2-C8E790102EB0_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I have a GT6 head with a cracked valve seat between the intake and exhaust =
seats. Would it be worthwhile to magnaflux to determine how deep it goes in=
to the port then pending the depth install new seats. This is on an older r=
ace head that is already ported. I do my own porting and last time took me =
about 80 hours to do. So since I live in the real world with a regular day =
job I am exploring options including time and money. If i can repair this h=
ead at a reasonable cost then I would only need to clean up the port work t=
o match my current engine specs. Any input appreciated.
Thanks,=20
Brian
Foster, RI=

--_9D28D2FC-A46C-4FF6-9BA2-C8E790102EB0_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=
=3Dwindows-1252"></head><body><div><div style=3D"font-family: Calibri,sans-=
serif; font-size: 11pt;">I have a GT6 head with a cracked valve seat betwee=
n the intake and exhaust seats. Would it be worthwhile to magnaflux to dete=
rmine how deep it goes into the port then pending the depth install new sea=
ts. This is on an older race head that is already ported. I do my own porti=
ng and last time took me about 80 hours to do. So since I live in the real =
world with a regular day job I am exploring options including time and mone=
y. If i can repair this head at a reasonable cost then I would only need to=
 clean up the port work to match my current engine specs. Any input appreci=
ated.<br>Thanks, <br>Brian<br>Foster, RI</div></div></body></html>=

--_9D28D2FC-A46C-4FF6-9BA2-C8E790102EB0_--

--===============0748837642146039363==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============0748837642146039363==--

---

From: "Steve Yott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 18:17:54 -0600

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============2491590774506912801==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0017_01D14653.10C74620"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01D14653.10C74620
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Brian,

This is actually a common issue and in about 85% of the cases can be
repaired by a decent machine shop.  The dependency is how deep the crack =
is
in the head.  The normal way to repair this is to mill out the intake =
valve
seat in the cast head in order to install a valve seat insert.  The =
normal
replacement seats are in the area of =BC=94 deep and if the milling of =
the seat
pocket removes all of the crack then the insert is installed.  A new =
exhaust
valve seat insert is then installed by milling the pocket in the head =
and
overlapping the new intake seat by a little bit.

=20

Bring the head to a competent shop and at worse all they will need to do =
is
set it up and mill the intake pocket to see how deep the crack is =
extended.
At this point they will fix it or deem it unusable.

=20

Steve Yott

=20

=20

From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Brian
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2016 10:05 AM
To: FOT <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Fot] Valve seat crack

=20

I have a GT6 head with a cracked valve seat between the intake and =
exhaust
seats. Would it be worthwhile to magnaflux to determine how deep it goes
into the port then pending the depth install new seats. This is on an =
older
race head that is already ported. I do my own porting and last time took =
me
about 80 hours to do. So since I live in the real world with a regular =
day
job I am exploring options including time and money. If i can repair =
this
head at a reasonable cost then I would only need to clean up the port =
work
to match my current engine specs. Any input appreciated.
Thanks,=20
Brian
Foster, RI

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01D14653.10C74620
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word =
15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>Brian,<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>This is actually a common issue and in about 85% of the cases can be =
repaired by a decent machine shop.=A0 The dependency is how deep the =
crack is in the head.=A0 The normal way to repair this is to mill out =
the intake valve seat in the cast head in order to install a valve seat =
insert.=A0 The normal replacement seats are in the area of =BC&#8221; =
deep and if the milling of the seat pocket removes all of the crack then =
the insert is installed.=A0 A new exhaust valve seat insert is then =
installed by milling the pocket in the head and overlapping the new =
intake seat by a little bit.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>Bring the head to a competent shop and at worse all they will need to =
do is set it up and mill the intake pocket to see how deep the crack is =
extended.=A0 At this point they will fix it or deem it =
unusable.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>Steve Yott<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>From:</span><=
/b><span style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'> =
Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>Brian<br><b>Sent:</b> Sunday, January 03, 2016 10:05 =
AM<br><b>To:</b> FOT &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>Subject:</b> [Fot] =
Valve seat crack<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>I have a GT6 =
head with a cracked valve seat between the intake and exhaust seats. =
Would it be worthwhile to magnaflux to determine how deep it goes into =
the port then pending the depth install new seats. This is on an older =
race head that is already ported. I do my own porting and last time took =
me about 80 hours to do. So since I live in the real world with a =
regular day job I am exploring options including time and money. If i =
can repair this head at a reasonable cost then I would only need to =
clean up the port work to match my current engine specs. Any input =
appreciated.<br>Thanks, <br>Brian<br>Foster, =
RI<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0017_01D14653.10C74620--

--===============2491590774506912801==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============2491590774506912801==--