Subject: [Fot] differential Pinion Height

From: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 14:54:05 -0400

--===============2417925080734473942==
 boundary="Apple-Mail=_3DE40FB0-0DD0-4196-849D-F0122348E8A4"

--Apple-Mail=_3DE40FB0-0DD0-4196-849D-F0122348E8A4
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

I'm replacing the bearings in the diff (w/Timken USA) and am puzzled by =
the "set pinion height" instructions.  Here's what the workshop manual =
says (paraphrase):
 - install the pinion head bearing without the normal 0.10" spacer =
between it and the pinion.
- install the pinion shaft with bearings, no bearing spacer, shims or =
oil seal, and torque to 12-16 ft-lb
- put a dial gauge on the housing with the plunger contacting the =
pinion, then putting downward pressure on the gauge, obtain a maximum =
reading  (appears to be one of those special factory tools in the photo =
though none is cited)
-this reading, subtracted from the normal spacer thickness of 0.10", =
determines the thickness of the "selective spacer required".

Huh?  first of all, the spacer is 0.10" so how can there be a different =
thickness spacer?  The diagram shows no shims at this location.  Second =
and more important, why would the assembly move at all and produce any =
dial indicator readings, given that the pinion bearing assembly is =
torqued to 12-16 lb? =20

These are not the instructions for shimming the spacer between the =
bearings, I understand those - though I am looking for ideas for a =
homemade preload gauge I could easily make up.

Are the instructions missing something or am I?

thanks!=

--Apple-Mail=_3DE40FB0-0DD0-4196-849D-F0122348E8A4
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">I'm =
replacing the bearings in the diff (w/Timken USA) and am puzzled by the =
"set pinion height" instructions. &nbsp;Here's what the workshop manual =
says (paraphrase):<div>&nbsp;- install the pinion head bearing without =
the normal 0.10" spacer between it and the pinion.</div><div>- install =
the pinion shaft with bearings, no bearing spacer, shims or oil seal, =
and torque to 12-16 ft-lb</div><div>- put a dial gauge on the housing =
with the plunger contacting the pinion, then putting downward pressure =
on the gauge, obtain a maximum reading &nbsp;(appears to be one of those =
special factory tools in the photo though none is cited)</div><div>-this =
reading, subtracted from the normal spacer thickness of 0.10", =
determines the thickness of the "selective spacer =
required".</div><div><br></div><div>Huh? &nbsp;first of all, the spacer =
is 0.10" so how can there be a different thickness spacer? &nbsp;The =
diagram shows no shims at this location. &nbsp;Second and more =
important, why would the assembly move at all and produce any dial =
indicator readings, given that the pinion bearing assembly is torqued to =
12-16 lb? &nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>These are not the instructions =
for shimming the spacer between the bearings, I understand those - =
though I am looking for ideas for a homemade preload gauge I could =
easily make up.</div><div><br></div><div>Are the instructions missing =
something or am I?</div><div><br></div><div>thanks!</div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_3DE40FB0-0DD0-4196-849D-F0122348E8A4--

--===============2417925080734473942==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============2417925080734473942==--