Subject: Re: [Fot] Leaky Pinion seal

From: "Bill Tobin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 08:05:15 -0400

I agree with Bob about the breather in the diff. I drilled and tapped the 
breather hole for a fitting and ran a -4 breather hose up and around the 
frame. Seems to work.
Bill
----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: "Scott Janzen" <[email-masked]>; "Chip Collingwood" 
<[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Friends of Triumph' Triumph" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, June 08, 2015 12:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Leaky Pinion seal

> Diff's can build pressure if the little cotter pin is clogged and force 
> oil past the seals. I try to buy the best seals I can because the cheap 
> rubber parts placed in bags by our suppliers seem to be crap. Speedie 
> Sleeves aren't big enough to cover the whole surface so locating them is a 
> high priority. I have never installed one where the surface was so poor 
> that
> I has to use sealant below the sleeve. I have used Permatex No2, the 
> semi-hard stuff on the splines in an attempt to seal the splines but I 
> still get oil under the washers that drips out when I separate axles and 
> drive shafts.
>
> Bob Kramer
> [email-masked]
>
> ---- Scott Janzen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I did put a speedi-sleeve on it - good tight fit, with some permatex 
>> under it to make sure that didn't leak - as the surface had some wear 
>> marks.  I marked everything and re-assembled as it was to maintain the 
>> same pre-load; the diff was removed from the car so this was not 
>> difficult to do, and there was no wobble - i.e., the preload setting was 
>> good.  I'll check to see if it was migrating from the nut - interesting 
>> possibility, though I'm pretty sure from the visuals that it is at the 
>> seal.
>> Using Redline gear oil, 85 weight.
>>
>> On Jun 8, 2015, at 11:31 AM, Chip Collingwood wrote:
>>
>> Scott,
>>
>> How was the sealing surface on the front flange? If that is damaged or is 
>> worn then a speedy- sleeve might help. Also possible is I have seen leaks 
>> from the behind the pinnion nut...oil migrates up the shaft past the 
>> splines and out from behind the nut and washer...assembling with a little 
>> silicone helps this. Did you get the flange back on in the same attitude 
>> as it was before dis-assembly....in other words did you mark the flange 
>> and shaft and tighten the nut to the same spot....this is what sets the 
>> pinnion pre-load and depth
>>
>> Chip Collingwood
>> theukmotorsports.com
>> (804) 564-1839
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Scott Janzen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I had a leaky pinion seal on the GT6 differential, and figured I had 
>> remedied it by putting in a new seal and a speedi-sleeve this winter. 
>> Guess what?  It's leaking more than ever.
>>
>> Any thoughts on a better fix?
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> [email-masked]
>>
>> http://www.fot-racing.com
>>
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
>
> 

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 17:00:32 -0400

--===============6476161438355728005==
 boundary="Apple-Mail=_E397E023-05EF-4412-A952-76D783ADC920"

--Apple-Mail=_E397E023-05EF-4412-A952-76D783ADC920
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=iso-8859-1

so, the upshot of this was that the pinion seal is not leaking a drop.  =
However, old gaskets and Redline synthetic must not like each other too =
much, as it seems like the thing is just leaking along the front gasket =
and bolt holes where the carrier bracket bolts on.  I did not renew this =
one when I had the diff apart.  Breather vent is open. =20
Another project for another time!
=20
On Jun 9, 2015, at 8:05 AM, Bill Tobin wrote:

I agree with Bob about the breather in the diff. I drilled and tapped =
the breather hole for a fitting and ran a -4 breather hose up and around =
the frame. Seems to work.
Bill
----- Original Message ----- From: <[email-masked]>
To: "Scott Janzen" <[email-masked]>; "Chip Collingwood" =
<[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Friends of Triumph' Triumph" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, June 08, 2015 12:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Leaky Pinion seal

> Diff's can build pressure if the little cotter pin is clogged and =
force oil past the seals. I try to buy the best seals I can because the =
cheap rubber parts placed in bags by our suppliers seem to be crap. =
Speedie Sleeves aren't big enough to cover the whole surface so locating =
them is a high priority. I have never installed one where the surface =
was so poor that
> I has to use sealant below the sleeve. I have used Permatex No2, the =
semi-hard stuff on the splines in an attempt to seal the splines but I =
still get oil under the washers that drips out when I separate axles and =
drive shafts.
>=20
>=20
>> I did put a speedi-sleeve on it - good tight fit, with some permatex =
under it to make sure that didn't leak - as the surface had some wear =
marks.  I marked everything and re-assembled as it was to maintain the =
same pre-load; the diff was removed from the car so this was not =
difficult to do, and there was no wobble - i.e., the preload setting was =
good.  I'll check to see if it was migrating from the nut - interesting =
possibility, though I'm pretty sure from the visuals that it is at the =
seal.
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> How was the sealing surface on the front flange? If that is damaged =
or is worn then a speedy- sleeve might help. Also possible is I have =
seen leaks from the behind the pinnion nut...oil migrates up the shaft =
past the splines and out from behind the nut and washer...assembling =
with a little silicone helps this. Did you get the flange back on in the =
same attitude as it was before dis-assembly....in other words did you =
mark the flange and shaft and tighten the nut to the same spot....this =
is what sets the pinnion pre-load and depth
>>=20
>>=20
>> I had a leaky pinion seal on the GT6 differential, and figured I had =
remedied it by putting in a new seal and a speedi-sleeve this winter. =
Guess what?  It's leaking more than ever.
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_E397E023-05EF-4412-A952-76D783ADC920
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=iso-8859-1

<html><head></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">so, =
the upshot of this was that the pinion seal is not leaking a drop. =
&nbsp;However, old gaskets and Redline synthetic must not like each =
other too much, as it seems like the thing is just leaking along the =
front gasket and bolt holes where the carrier bracket bolts on. &nbsp;I =
did not renew this one when I had the diff apart. &nbsp;Breather vent is =
open. &nbsp;<div>Another project for another =
time!</div><div>&nbsp;<br><div><div>On Jun 9, 2015, at 8:05 AM, Bill =
Tobin wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div>I agree =
with Bob about the breather in the diff. I drilled and tapped the =
breather hole for a fitting and ran a -4 breather hose up and around the =
frame. Seems to work.<br>Bill<br>----- Original Message ----- From: =
&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>T=
o: "Scott Janzen" &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;; "Chip =
Collingwood" &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt=
;<br>Cc: "'Friends of Triumph' Triumph" &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>Sent: =
Monday, June 08, 2015 12:18 PM<br>Subject: Re: [Fot] Leaky Pinion =
seal<br><br><br><blockquote type=3D"cite">Diff's can build pressure if =
the little cotter pin is clogged and force oil past the seals. I try to =
buy the best seals I can because the cheap rubber parts placed in bags =
by our suppliers seem to be crap. Speedie Sleeves aren't big enough to =
cover the whole surface so locating them is a high priority. I have =
never installed one where the surface was so poor =
that<br></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite">I has to use sealant =
below the sleeve. I have used Permatex No2, the semi-hard stuff on the =
splines in an attempt to seal the splines but I still get oil under the =
washers that drips out when I separate axles and drive =
shafts.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite">Bob =
Kramer<br></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br></blo=
ckquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">---- Scott Janzen &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:<br></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">I did put a speedi-sleeve on it - good tight fit, with =
some permatex under it to make sure that didn't leak - as the surface =
had some wear marks. &nbsp;I marked everything and re-assembled as it =
was to maintain the same pre-load; the diff was removed from the car so =
this was not difficult to do, and there was no wobble - i.e., the =
preload setting was good. &nbsp;I'll check to see if it was migrating =
from the nut - interesting possibility, though I'm pretty sure from the =
visuals that it is at the seal.<br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><blockquote type=3D"cite">Using Redline gear oil, 85 =
weight.<br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><blockquote=
 type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><blockquote type=3D"cite">On Jun 8, 2015, at 11:31 AM, =
Chip Collingwood wrote:<br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">Scott,<br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><blockquote type=3D"cite">How was the sealing surface on =
the front flange? If that is damaged or is worn then a speedy- sleeve =
might help. Also possible is I have seen leaks from the behind the =
pinnion nut...oil migrates up the shaft past the splines and out from =
behind the nut and washer...assembling with a little silicone helps =
this. Did you get the flange back on in the same attitude as it was =
before dis-assembly....in other words did you mark the flange and shaft =
and tighten the nut to the same spot....this is what sets the pinnion =
pre-load and depth<br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><blockquote type=3D"cite">Chip =
Collingwood<br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><a =
href=3D"http://theukmotorsports.com">theukmotorsports.com</a><br></blockqu=
ote></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><blockquote type=3D"cite">(804)=
 564-1839<br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><blockquote type=3D"cite">On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 11:11 AM, =
Scott Janzen &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:<br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">I had a leaky pinion seal on the GT6 differential, and =
figured I had remedied it by putting in a new seal and a speedi-sleeve =
this winter. Guess what? &nbsp;It's leaking more than =
ever.<br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><blockquote type=3D"cite">Any thoughts on a better =
fix?<br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">_______________________________________________<br></blockqu=
ote></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br></blockquote>=
</blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><a =
href=3D"http://www.fot-racing.com">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br></bloc=
kquote></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><blockquote type=3D"cite">Donate: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</=
a><br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br></=
blockquote></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">Forums: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br></bl=
ockquote></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">Unsubscribe/Manage: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]=
m">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]</a>=
<br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">_______________________________________________<br></blockqu=
ote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br></blockquote>=
<blockquote type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><a =
href=3D"http://www.fot-racing.com">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br></bloc=
kquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">Donate: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</=
a><br></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite">Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br></=
blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite">Forums: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br></bl=
ockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite">Unsubscribe/Manage: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/william.tobin31@verizon.=
net">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]=
</a><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><br></div></div><br></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_E397E023-05EF-4412-A952-76D783ADC920--

--===============6476161438355728005==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============6476161438355728005==--