Subject: [Fot] Differential gear oil?

From: Bud R <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 12:08:48 -0600

--===============6943013749216356832==

--Apple-Mail=_C86A8051-40E9-41E4-BDB7-D0BE5E69C48B
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

So Redline shock proof =93light=94 gear oil is what I=92m leaning to use =
in the refurbished diff I=92m putting in the race car.

What do others use?

Thanks
Bud Rolofson

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
69 Spitfire MK III (back up FE engine/dinghy car)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle=20
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

--Apple-Mail=_C86A8051-40E9-41E4-BDB7-D0BE5E69C48B
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
charset=3Dwindows-1252"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;">So =
Redline shock proof =93light=94 gear oil is what I=92m leaning to use in =
the refurbished diff I=92m putting in the race =
car.<div><br></div><div>What do others =
use?</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks<div =
apple-content-edited=3D"true"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 18px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-align: -webkit-auto; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; border-collapse: =
separate; orphans: 2; widows: 2; border-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: =
none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">Bud Rolofson</div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><br></div><div style=3D"border-collapse: =
separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">Extreme Parts Racing&nbsp;(more than just a haircut)</div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><br></div><div>71TR6 CC57365 (Good =
6)</div><div style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">71 Spitfire MK IV =
Race Car #3</div><div style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, =
0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">69 Spitfire MK III =
(back up FE engine/dinghy car)</div><div style=3D"border-collapse: =
separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle&nbsp;</div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda =
Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)</div></div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><br></div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;"><br></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline" style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 18px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline">
</div>
<br></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_C86A8051-40E9-41E4-BDB7-D0BE5E69C48B--

--===============6943013749216356832==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============6943013749216356832==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 13:26:56 -0700

> Interesting. Years ago, like probably 20. I had a phone 
> conversation with the tech folks at Redline and they told me 
> to use the MT-90 in the Triumph transmissions, NOT the MTL.  

Perhaps their attitude changed over the years then.  More like 10 years ago, they told me that MTL would be fine with no OD; but the
OD would probably want the heavier oil.  As I recall, he said the viscosity was the only difference between MTL and MT-90.

But neither one is recommended for differentials.

Randall

---

From: Allen Washatko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 20:41:34 -0500

I use the MT- 90 in the TR6 transmission and the 75W90 High  
Performance Gear oil in the diff.
The MTL is  a 70W80 grade oil and doesn't match the original specs.  
for a 90WT oil.

Allen
On Jun 18, 2015, at 3:26 PM, Randall wrote:

> Perhaps their attitude changed over the years then.  More like 10  
> years ago, they told me that MTL would be fine with no OD; but the
> OD would probably want the heavier oil.  As I recall, he said the  
> viscosity was the only difference between MTL and MT-90.
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
>
>

---

From: "Enquiries Road & Track" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 08:50:21 +1000

--===============7684051852141891180==

--001a11403caef13cd00518e6c084

The diff and gearbox oils are definitely different if you want either/both
to last as they should

On our race Triumphs we normally use 85-140 diff oil . This used to be
called EP85-140 (EP for extreme pressure), but nowdays they drop the EP and
just say GL5. All the big brands have this grade, as its commonly used in
light commercial vehicles.

The brass syncro gearboxes cannot handle most GL5 rated oils for long.
Sulphur compounds in the additive package erodes the brass materials. There
are endless articles floating around about this, and i can support it from
decades of experience overhauling gearboxes. GL4 oils dont have the same
additive package and are just fine. Pick a brand you like. Some suppliers,
like Redline, make special note of this on their spec sheets. Under no
circumstance use Redline Shockprooof Green.. you will have zero syncros
withing 12 months

Terry O"Beirne

--001a11403caef13cd00518e6c084
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">The diff and gearbox oils are definitely different if you =
want either/both to last as they should<div><br></div><div><div>On our race=
 Triumphs we normally use 85-140 diff oil . This used to be called EP85-140=
 (EP for extreme pressure), but nowdays they drop the EP and just say GL5. =
All the big brands have this grade, as its commonly used in light commercia=
l vehicles.</div><div><br></div><div>The brass syncro gearboxes cannot hand=
le most GL5 rated oils for long. Sulphur compounds in the additive package =
erodes the brass materials. There are endless articles floating around abou=
t this, and i can support it from decades of experience overhauling gearbox=
es. GL4 oils dont have the same additive package and are just fine. Pick a =
brand you like. Some suppliers, like Redline, make special note of this on =
their spec sheets. Under no circumstance use Redline Shockprooof Green.. yo=
u will have zero syncros withing 12 months</div><div><br></div><div>Terry O=
&quot;Beirne</div><div><div><div class=3D"gmail_signature"><br></div></div>
</div></div></div>

--001a11403caef13cd00518e6c084--

--===============7684051852141891180==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============7684051852141891180==--