Subject: Re: [Fot] Need help with PI -- no fuel to injectors

From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 03:29:01 +0000

Injectors?

Sent from my iPhone

Just did some work on the car -- replacing thrust washers and rear main seal.  Took engine out to do repairs as the thrust washers are pinned in.  Removed the drive unit and pi assembly, but did not remove head or timing cover .  Put engine on a stand upside down.  Put all back together, installed everything.  Engine would not start.  Timing correct.  Valve timing correct.  Checked injectors, number two was leaking all the time even when the fuel pump was on, even with no engine rotation/starting attempt.  Couple other injectors were not injecting at all and a couple were spraying fine.  Ig removed number two banjo bolt and replaced the two o-rings.  Reinstalled.  Checked injectors and now none were spraying -- was not even any pulsing in the lines.

Removed PI unit and disassembled the metering unit.  Movable stop came out fine, shuttle and fixed stop did not.  Removed number one injector hose inlet and rotated the rotor till I could see the hole.  Blew in some compressed air and the movable stop came out.  No shuttle.  Strange.  Removed the drive unit and holding plate and pushed the shuttle out.  I had put the pieces together wrong at least two years ago -- do not know how the car ever ran as well as it did!

Put the pieces back together correctly, reinstalled and tested.  Still no pulsor gas.

Check fuel pressure -- good, checked to see gas was actually coming into the metering unit -- good.  So now I am stumped -- what is keeping the unit from functioning?
_______________________________________________

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Tim Murphy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 13:33:41 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============5823173640330853744==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_003B_01D09E01.E9066250"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_003B_01D09E01.E9066250
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

In theory, the Lucas injector pump is pretty simple.  I would think =
either the rotor is not turning or the shuttle is not moving.  I =
can=E2=80=99t think of why you get no fuel other than that.  To have all =
six nozzles plugged would be unlikely but not improbable if there is =
dirt in the lines.

=20

Tim Murphy

=20

P.S. This is based on my TR5 experience.

=20

From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Chuck Arnold =
and/or Kathleen Kelley
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 10:09 PM
To: Friends
Subject: [Fot] Need help with PI -- no fuel to injectors

=20

Just did some work on the car -- replacing thrust washers and rear main =
seal.  Took engine out to do repairs as the thrust washers are pinned =
in.  Removed the drive unit and pi assembly, but did not remove head or =
timing cover .  Put engine on a stand upside down.  Put all back =
together, installed everything.  Engine would not start.  Timing =
correct.  Valve timing correct.  Checked injectors, number two was =
leaking all the time even when the fuel pump was on, even with no engine =
rotation/starting attempt.  Couple other injectors were not injecting at =
all and a couple were spraying fine.  Ig removed number two banjo bolt =
and replaced the two o-rings.  Reinstalled.  Checked injectors and now =
none were spraying -- was not even any pulsing in the lines.

=20

Removed PI unit and disassembled the metering unit.  Movable stop came =
out fine, shuttle and fixed stop did not.  Removed number one injector =
hose inlet and rotated the rotor till I could see the hole.  Blew in =
some compressed air and the movable stop came out.  No shuttle.  =
Strange.  Removed the drive unit and holding plate and pushed the =
shuttle out.  I had put the pieces together wrong at least two years ago =
-- do not know how the car ever ran as well as it did!

=20

Put the pieces back together correctly, reinstalled and tested.  Still =
no pulsor gas.

=20

Check fuel pressure -- good, checked to see gas was actually coming into =
the metering unit -- good.  So now I am stumped -- what is keeping the =
unit from functioning?

------=_NextPart_000_003B_01D09E01.E9066250
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Georgia;
	panose-1:2 4 5 2 5 4 5 2 3 3;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>In theory, the Lucas injector pump is pretty simple.=C2=A0 I would =
think either the rotor is not turning or the shuttle is not =
moving.=C2=A0 I can=E2=80=99t think of why you get no fuel other than =
that.=C2=A0 To have all six nozzles plugged would be unlikely but not =
improbable if there is dirt in the lines.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Tim Murphy<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>P.S. This is based on my TR5 experience.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of </b>Chuck Arnold =
and/or Kathleen Kelley<br><b>Sent:</b> Tuesday, June 02, 2015 10:09 =
PM<br><b>To:</b> Friends<br><b>Subject:</b> [Fot] Need help with PI -- =
no fuel to injectors<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Georgia","serif"'>Just did =
some work on the car -- replacing thrust washers and rear main =
seal.&nbsp; Took engine out to do repairs as the thrust washers are =
pinned in.&nbsp; Removed the drive unit and pi assembly, but did not =
remove head or timing cover .&nbsp; Put engine on a stand upside =
down.&nbsp; Put all back together, installed everything.&nbsp; Engine =
would not start.&nbsp; Timing correct.&nbsp; Valve timing correct.&nbsp; =
Checked injectors, number two was leaking all the time even when the =
fuel pump was on, even with no engine rotation/starting attempt.&nbsp; =
Couple other injectors were not injecting at all and a couple were =
spraying fine.&nbsp; Ig removed number two banjo bolt and replaced the =
two o-rings.&nbsp; Reinstalled.&nbsp; Checked injectors and now none =
were spraying -- was not even any pulsing in the =
lines.<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Georgia","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div=
><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Georgia","serif"'>Removed PI unit and disassembled =
the metering unit.&nbsp; Movable stop came out fine, shuttle and fixed =
stop did not.&nbsp; Removed number one injector hose inlet and rotated =
the rotor till I could see the hole.&nbsp; Blew in some compressed air =
and the movable stop came out.&nbsp; No shuttle.&nbsp; Strange.&nbsp; =
Removed the drive unit and holding plate and pushed the shuttle =
out.&nbsp; I had put the pieces together wrong at least two years ago -- =
do not know how the car ever ran as well as it =
did!<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Georgia","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div=
><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Georgia","serif"'>Put the pieces back together =
correctly, reinstalled and tested.&nbsp; Still no pulsor =
gas.<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Georgia","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div=
><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Georgia","serif"'>Check fuel pressure -- good, =
checked to see gas was actually coming into the metering unit -- =
good.&nbsp; So now I am stumped -- what is keeping the unit from =
functioning?<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_003B_01D09E01.E9066250--

--===============5823173640330853744==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============5823173640330853744==--