Subject: [Fot] Spitfire FE or FK engine?

From: "Joe Guinan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 15:56:36 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============1667003332131697791==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0169_01D09D4C.B4FEB0D0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0169_01D09D4C.B4FEB0D0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Ed,

Good reference for Spit engine numbers is here -
http://www.triumphspitfire.com/enginenumbers.html

My understanding is the two early 1296 (FD and FE) are preferred for racing
as they are "small main bearing" blocks - using the same basic crank as the
1147. The later FH and FK blocks are large mains. These can be used,  won't
spin up quite as fast though they will take high rpm better than the stroked
cranks of the 1500's.

Joe Guinan

Fremont, NE

Looking at a big pile of Spitfire.  $800: Two so-so roundtail bodies, 1970
chassis, very nice. PRI rear end assembly. FK engine & FC engine. Overdrive
trans & non-O/D trans too. Two hardtops, two dash' with instruments, and
quite a few other parts. I've currently got a very nice '64 1147 race car,
and a '66 very unrestored 1147. Son in law wants to build another vintage
racer. I've heard that there are two versions of the 1296 motor, with one
being not so good. The motor included with this deal is an FK.  Is the FK
the "good" one to build for vintage racing?

Edward Dunn

------=_NextPart_000_0169_01D09D4C.B4FEB0D0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Consolas;
	panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoPlainText, li.MsoPlainText, div.MsoPlainText
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Plain Text Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.5pt;
	font-family:Consolas;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
span.PlainTextChar
	{mso-style-name:"Plain Text Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Plain Text";
	font-family:Consolas;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>Ed,<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText>Good =
reference for Spit engine numbers is here - <a =
href=3D"http://www.triumphspitfire.com/enginenumbers.html">http://www.tri=
umphspitfire.com/enginenumbers.html</a><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>My understanding is the two early 1296 (FD and FE) =
are preferred for racing as they are &#8220;small main bearing&#8221; =
blocks &#8211; using the same basic crank as the 1147. The later FH and =
FK blocks are large mains. These can be used, &nbsp;won&#8217;t spin up =
quite as fast though they will take high rpm better than the stroked =
cranks of the 1500&#8217;s.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText>Joe =
Guinan<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText>Fremont, =
NE<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>Looking at a big pile of Spitfire.&nbsp; $800: Two =
so-so roundtail bodies, 1970 chassis, very nice. PRI rear end assembly. =
FK engine &amp; FC engine. Overdrive trans &amp; non-O/D trans too. Two =
hardtops, two dash' with instruments, and quite a few other parts. I've =
currently got a very nice '64 1147 race car, and a '66 very unrestored =
1147. Son in law wants to build another vintage racer. I've heard that =
there are two versions of the 1296 motor, with one being not so good. =
The motor included with this deal is an FK.&nbsp; Is the FK the =
&quot;good&quot; one to build for vintage racing?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText>Edward =
Dunn<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0169_01D09D4C.B4FEB0D0--

--===============1667003332131697791==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============1667003332131697791==--