Subject: [Fot] Racing Tire Rotation Question

From: John Styduhar via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 09:12:53 -0400

--===============7947752889434778078==

--089e01184d5cc4e81b05144feb46

I'm running Hoosier Speedster 205/60 15. The tires have a direction arrow
on the sidewall. The Hoosier tire factory rep. told me that I could swap
the tires/wheels side-to-side to even out the tire wear and extend tread
life. No need to remount and rebalance tires.  But that would make the tire
roll in the opposite direction as shown on the sidewall. The rep said the
tire design is symetrical and the directional tread pattern is for water
shedding.  My internet query also supports this thinking.  What are fellow
racers doing about racing tire rotation?

--089e01184d5cc4e81b05144feb46
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">I&#=
39;m running Hoosier Speedster 205/60 15. The tires have a direction arrow =
on the sidewall. The Hoosier tire factory rep. told me that I could swap th=
e tires/wheels side-to-side to even out the tire wear and extend tread life=
. No need to remount and rebalance tires.=C2=A0 But that would make the tir=
e roll in the opposite direction as shown on the sidewall. The rep said the=
 tire design is symetrical and the directional tread pattern is for water s=
hedding.=C2=A0 My internet query also supports this thinking.=C2=A0 What ar=
e fellow racers doing about racing tire rotation? =C2=A0</div></div>

--089e01184d5cc4e81b05144feb46--

--===============7947752889434778078==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============7947752889434778078==--

---

From: Bill Dentinger via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 10:12:23 -0400

--===============6109350033801460518==

--part1_6d99d.292feac7.42690646_boundary
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

John...

I certainly am no expert, but many years ago Charlie Gibson (long time 'Hot 
Shoe' and a founding partner in SASCO tires) told me that those mounting 
cautions pertain to when the tires are brand new and mounted the first time.  
He said that after they had been scrubbed and broken in, they could be 
mounted or rotated in any manner you wanted.

I think I was running DUNLOP vintage tires at the time.

Bill Dentinger
 
--part1_6d99d.292feac7.42690646_boundary
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT  COLOR=3D"#400040" SIZE=3D3=
 PTSIZE=3D12 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">John...<BR>
<BR>
I certainly am no expert, but many years ago Charlie Gibson (long time 'Ho=
t Shoe' and a founding partner in SASCO tires) told me that those mounting=
 cautions pertain to when the tires are brand new and mounted the first ti=
me.&nbsp; He said that after they had been scrubbed and broken in, they co=
uld be mounted or rotated in any manner you wanted.<BR>
<BR>
I think I was running DUNLOP vintage tires at the time.<BR>
<BR>
Bill Dentinger<BR>
 </FONT></HTML>
--part1_6d99d.292feac7.42690646_boundary--

--===============6109350033801460518==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============6109350033801460518==--

---

From: Bob Kramer via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 17:09:49 +0000

I do and it's probably 6 weekends in an IRS car.
Bob Kramer
[email-masked]

---- Greg And Alison Blake via Fot <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> I do the same as Tony described. Have with the tire mentioned originally and others. 

I got 8 hard race weekends out of a set of Speedsters doing this.  

I will add that this works for me on a TR3 with a live axle. The continued inside wear maybe an issue with an IRS car, but I don't have any real experience with that.  

Greg

> On Apr 22, 2015, at 9:52 AM, Tony Drews via Fot <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I do exactly as the tire rep mentions - swap the wheels side to side (and front to back), the directional arrow points the wrong way.  This is with Speedsters.  Works fine.  The arrow only makes a difference in a wet race.
> 
> Cheers, Tony
> 
> At 08:12 AM 4/22/2015, John Styduhar via Fot wrote:
>> I'm running Hoosier Speedster 205/60 15. The tires have a direction arrow on the sidewall. The Hoosier tire factory rep. told me that I could swap the tires/wheels side-to-side to even out the tire wear and extend tread life. No need to remount and rebalance tires.Â  But that would make the tire roll in the opposite direction as shown on the sidewall. The rep said the tire design is symetrical and the directional tread pattern is for water shedding.Â  My internet query also supports this thinking.Â  What are fellow racers doing about racing tire rotation? Â
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> 
> 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> 
> 

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]