Subject: [Fot] Alloy wheel repair

From: Scott Janzen via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 11:18:12 -0500

--===============2715400091222878339==
 boundary="Apple-Mail=_C4368FAE-E6A7-4D33-91CB-5997761BAC23"

--Apple-Mail=_C4368FAE-E6A7-4D33-91CB-5997761BAC23
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

two of the 13x6 cosmics for my GT6 are developing hairline cracks in the =
hub/center cap area.  These do not yet extend down close to the bolt =
holes.  Fortunately, I have eight of the wheels, but would like to have =
a full spare set.

I'm thinking an aluminum sleeve could be machined and welded inside the =
hub for reinforcement, and the crack welded up.

I can't find anyone local who wants to mess with it.  Any =
recommendations?  I can ship the wheels, even have the sleeve made in =
advance.  I'm not sure what the compatible alloy to these rough cast =
wheels is, however.

Hate to give up on them - they're a nice period piece and are otherwise =
overbuilt, but when drilled for this bolt hole spacing it took just a =
bit too much off the hub, 45 years ago! =20

Lastly, any good wheel alternatives - no offense to anyone, but I'd like =
not to go to the Minilite look.=

--Apple-Mail=_C4368FAE-E6A7-4D33-91CB-5997761BAC23
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">two =
of the 13x6 cosmics for my GT6 are developing hairline cracks in the =
hub/center cap area. &nbsp;These do not yet extend down close to the =
bolt holes. &nbsp;Fortunately, I have eight of the wheels, but would =
like to have a full spare set.<div><br></div><div>I'm thinking an =
aluminum sleeve could be machined and welded inside the hub for =
reinforcement, and the crack welded up.</div><div><br></div><div>I can't =
find anyone local who wants to mess with it. &nbsp;Any recommendations? =
&nbsp;I can ship the wheels, even have the sleeve made in advance. =
&nbsp;I'm not sure what the compatible alloy to these rough cast wheels =
is, however.</div><div><br></div><div>Hate to give up on them - they're =
a nice period piece and are otherwise overbuilt, but when drilled for =
this bolt hole spacing it took just a bit too much off the hub, 45 years =
ago! &nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Lastly, any good wheel alternatives =
- no offense to anyone, but I'd like not to go to the Minilite =
look.</div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_C4368FAE-E6A7-4D33-91CB-5997761BAC23--

--===============2715400091222878339==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============2715400091222878339==--

---

From: JIm Gray via Fot <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 17:02:28 +0000 (UTC)

--===============7247548097153620251==
	boundary="----=_Part_265382_1040703218.1425661348073"

------=_Part_265382_1040703218.1425661348073
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Try Woody's Wheel Works in Denver. He taught me to lace up indestructible M=
X wheels 40 years ago. If you ever visit the shop you will see stacks of Bo=
rrani's and Halibrands from all over the country in for re-build, straighte=
ning & repairs. ( NFI )=20
http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/=20
If he can't fix it it probably can't be fixed.=20
jim g=20
=C2=A0=20
=C2=A0=20
=C2=A0=20

----- Original Message -----

From: "Scott Janzen via Fot" <[email-masked]>=20
To: "'Friends of Triumph' Triumph" <[email-masked]>=20
Sent: Friday, March 6, 2015 9:18:12 AM=20
Subject: [Fot] Alloy wheel repair=20

two of the 13x6 cosmics for my GT6 are developing hairline cracks in the hu=
b/center cap area. =C2=A0These do not yet extend down close to the bolt hol=
es. =C2=A0Fortunately, I have eight of the wheels, but would like to have a=
 full spare set.=20

I'm thinking an aluminum sleeve could be machined and welded inside the hub=
 for reinforcement, and the crack welded up.=20

I can't find anyone local who wants to mess with it. =C2=A0Any recommendati=
ons? =C2=A0I can ship the wheels, even have the sleeve made in advance. =C2=
=A0I'm not sure what the compatible alloy to these rough cast wheels is, ho=
wever.=20

Hate to give up on them - they're a nice period piece and are otherwise ove=
rbuilt, but when drilled for this bolt hole spacing it took just a bit too =
much off the hub, 45 years ago! =C2=A0=20

Lastly, any good wheel alternatives - no offense to anyone, but I'd like no=
t to go to the Minilite look.=20

_______________________________________________=20
[email-masked]=20

http://www.fot-racing.com=20

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive=20
comcast.net=20

------=_Part_265382_1040703218.1425661348073
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><body><div style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt; color: #000000"><DIV aria-label="Compose body">Try Woody's Wheel Works in Denver. He taught me to lace up indestructible MX wheels 40 years ago. If you ever visit the shop you will see stacks of Borrani's and Halibrands from all over the country in for re-build, straightening &amp; repairs. ( NFI )<BR><A href="http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/" data-mce-href="http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/">http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/</A></DIV>
<DIV aria-label="Compose body">If he can't fix it it probably can't be fixed.</DIV>
<DIV aria-label="Compose body">jim g</DIV>
<DIV aria-label="Compose body">&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV aria-label="Compose body">&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV aria-label="Compose body">&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<HR id=zwchr>

<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000; FONT-STYLE: normal" data-mce-style="color: #000; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;"><B>From: </B>"Scott Janzen via Fot" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<BR><B>To: </B>"'Friends of Triumph' Triumph" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<BR><B>Sent: </B>Friday, March 6, 2015 9:18:12 AM<BR><B>Subject: </B>[Fot] Alloy wheel repair<BR>
<DIV><BR></DIV>two of the 13x6 cosmics for my GT6 are developing hairline cracks in the hub/center cap area. &nbsp;These do not yet extend down close to the bolt holes. &nbsp;Fortunately, I have eight of the wheels, but would like to have a full spare set.
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV>I'm thinking an aluminum sleeve could be machined and welded inside the hub for reinforcement, and the crack welded up.</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV>I can't find anyone local who wants to mess with it. &nbsp;Any recommendations? &nbsp;I can ship the wheels, even have the sleeve made in advance. &nbsp;I'm not sure what the compatible alloy to these rough cast wheels is, however.</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV>Hate to give up on them - they're a nice period piece and are otherwise overbuilt, but when drilled for this bolt hole spacing it took just a bit too much off the hub, 45 years ago! &nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV>Lastly, any good wheel alternatives - no offense to anyone, but I'd like not to go to the Minilite look.</DIV><BR>_______________________________________________<BR>[email-masked]<BR>
<DIV><BR></DIV>http://www.fot-racing.com<BR>
<DIV><BR></DIV>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html<BR>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<BR>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums<BR>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]<BR>
<DIV><BR></DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV></div></body></html>
------=_Part_265382_1040703218.1425661348073--

--===============7247548097153620251==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============7247548097153620251==--