Subject: Re: [Fot] . Head intake / exhaust port question

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 13:30:06 -0600

EGT's are in the 1300 to 1400 degree range 6" from the head.  Will be 
higher in the head itself.

Tony Drews

At 01:18 PM 12/19/2014, Dan wrote:
>Folks,
>I have posted to a couple of TR related sites and have received conflicting
>info to this inquiry:
>
>In one of Kas Kastner's recent books he shows a couple of cross sections thru
>the intake and exhaust ports.  On the exhaust he shows a weld build up
>location behind the valve guide that then gets ground down to smooth the
>transition of the outgoing gas.  Wondering if anyone has tried to use MOROSO A
>+ B Epoxy in place of the weld and if so what has been the result?  TR Driver
>in a reply indicated that as long as the exhaust gas didn't exceed 250 degrees
>it should work.  So next question is what is the normal exhaust gas temp on
>might see in the pocket just below the exhaust valve?
>_______________________________________________
>[email-masked]
>
>http://www.fot-racing.com
>
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Hugh Barber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 14:35:31 -0500

I don't know the exact "average" for a TR motor, but the average EGT for 
a 4-stroke motor is well above 250 degrees. In fact, I think it's closer 
to 1000 degrees (maybe a bit more). In any case, way too high for epoxy.

On 12/19/2014 2:18 PM, Dan wrote:

  I have posted to a couple of TR related sites and have received 
conflicting info to this inquiry: In one of Kas Kastner's recent books 
he shows a couple of cross sections thru the intake and exhaust ports. 
On the exhaust he shows a weld build up location behind the valve guide 
that then gets ground down to smooth the transition of the outgoing gas. 
Wondering if anyone has tried to use MOROSO A + B Epoxy in place of the 
weld and if so what has been the result? ....
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Steve Yott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 13:36:49 -0600

My opinion only but, I would never use an epoxy in the exhaust port as the
temps are way too high and the epoxy will turn to liquid!  This works fine
in an intake port (but not the pocket) that is relatively cool.  On the
exhaust the transition from the pocket to the runner is really bad on flow
as it is nearly a right angle.  What I do is grind down the valve guide boss
in order to smooth the transition.  I have taken as much as 3/32" from the
boss and then rounded the transition as much as possible.  It is a middle of
the road fix but much better than stock and far cheaper than welding.

Steve Yott

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Dan
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2014 1:19 PM
To: FOT List Triumph
Subject: [Fot] . Head intake / exhaust port question

Folks,

In one of Kas Kastner's recent books he shows a couple of cross sections
thru
the intake and exhaust ports.  On the exhaust he shows a weld build up
location behind the valve guide that then gets ground down to smooth the
transition of the outgoing gas.  Wondering if anyone has tried to use MOROSO
A
+ B Epoxy in place of the weld and if so what has been the result?  TR
Driver
in a reply indicated that as long as the exhaust gas didn't exceed 250
degrees
it should work.  So next question is what is the normal exhaust gas temp on
might see in the pocket just below the exhaust valve?
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 12:46:44 -0700

Tony's right, way too hot for the epoxy which I've heard works for intakes. I
did a lot of welding to my exhaust valve pockets and its a pretty big
commitment even if your the one that's going to grind it all back out.
Just finding a shop that's qualified to do the welding is a big challenge.
I got lucky and found one right here in Denver. I cut sections from a stock
head and clayed in where I wanted the weld so they had a clear guide to work
from. You can see pictures of those sections on TerriAnns site.
I have other pix of the clay work, the welding and the final product if you
choose to go that way.
Jim

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 19, 2014, at 12:30 PM, Tony Drews <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> EGT's are in the 1300 to 1400 degree range 6" from the head.  Will be higher
in the head itself.
>> I have posted to a couple of TR related sites and have received
conflicting
thru
Driver
degrees
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]