Subject: Re: [Fot] Front Caliper question

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 14:24:42 -0600

Arrgh.  Copy / pasted through notepad this time.

I received this question and have no clue what the answer is (and of 
course don't have any GT6 front caliper mounts).  Anyone on this list 
know the answer?  See below.

Thanks, Tony Drews

Dear Sir,

I have a Lotus Europa that I race in Vintage and am upgrading the front brakes.

A fellow competitor has an Europa with Wilwood calipers and GT6 
discs. The Wilwood caliper has a 3'5" spacing between the mounting 
holes. These calipers fit directly onto the competitors caliper 
mount. He believes that his caliper mounts are from a GT6 with a 3'5" 
spacing between the bolts.

My car has Spitfire caliper mounts with a 3.25" spacing between the bolts.

Do you know if the GT6 caliper mounts have the 3.5" spacing and will 
they fit onto the Spitfire vertical link.

If the GT6 mounts will work, do you have a pair available.

Please forward price and availability.

Thanks for your help

Peter Taft
[email-masked]

At 01:12 PM 12/6/2014, Tony Drews wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>[email-masked]
>
>http://www.fot-racing.com
>
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 14:00:54 -0700

T
>
> A fellow competitor has an Europa with Wilwood calipers and GT6 discs. The Wilwood caliper has a 3'5" spacing between the mounting holes. These calipers fit directly onto the competitors caliper mount. He believes that his caliper mounts are from a GT6 with a 3'5" spacing between the bolts.

3 feet and 5 inches - that's a BIG caliper. As I recall, the GT6/TR6 use the 3.5 inch spacing.

mjb.

---

From: Diesel Performance Parts - Info <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 15:03:01 -0600

The GT6 caliper mount will not fit a Spitfire vertical link if my memory
serves me correctly anyway. When you change from Spit brakes to GT6 brakes you
have to have the whole wheel end to do it. Caliper, rotor, and stub axle and
vertical link etc. I don't know what the bolt spacing is though.

Mark Craig
Diesel Performance Parts, INC.
411 Allied Drive
Nashville, TN 37211
866-455-7788 Phone
615-834-9923 Fax

www.dieselperformanceparts.com
-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tony Drews
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2014 2:25 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] Front Caliper question

I received this question and have no clue what the answer is (and of course
don't have any GT6 front caliper mounts).  Anyone on this list know the
answer?  See below.

Thanks, Tony Drews

Dear Sir,

I have a Lotus Europa that I race in Vintage and am upgrading the front
brakes.

A fellow competitor has an Europa with Wilwood calipers and GT6 discs. The
Wilwood caliper has a 3'5" spacing between the mounting holes. These calipers
fit directly onto the competitors caliper mount. He believes that his caliper
mounts are from a GT6 with a 3'5"
spacing between the bolts.

Do you know if the GT6 caliper mounts have the 3.5" spacing and will they fit
onto the Spitfire vertical link.

Thanks for your help

Peter Taft
[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Tony and Annie Garmey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 13:07:24 -0800

Yes.  ! Measuring off a lotus 23 using the Hearld / GT 6 vertical link , the
caliper mounts are 3.5 . Dave bean eng . Has machined alloy mounts . Might
want to check the off set . I'm unsure of what the hub is from on the lotus &
the caliper is a girling  AR,

Tony

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 6, 2014, at 12:55 PM, "Tony Drews" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
brakes.
Wilwood caliper has a 3'5" spacing between the mounting holes. These calipers
fit directly onto the competitors caliper mount. He believes that his caliper
mounts are from a GT6 with a 3'5" spacing between the bolts.
> Do you know if the GT6 caliper mounts have the 3.5" spacing and will they
fit onto the Spitfire vertical link.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Joe Curry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 15:06:34 -0700

If you use early Spitfire vertical links with the separate caliper mount,
the GT6 caliper brackets will bolt right on.  I learned this when Joe Siam
needed some early Spit caliper brackets and I gave him a pair off my car
once I discovered I could use the GT6 brackets.  The only thing I had to do
was shave a little metal off the back of the hubs and shim the GT6 calipers
to fit properly without any interference.

Joe C.

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Diesel
Performance Parts - Info
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2014 2:03 PM
To: 'Tony Drews'
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: [Fot] Front Caliper question

The GT6 caliper mount will not fit a Spitfire vertical link if my memory
serves me correctly anyway. When you change from Spit brakes to GT6 brakes
you
have to have the whole wheel end to do it. Caliper, rotor, and stub axle and
vertical link etc. I don't know what the bolt spacing is though.

Mark Craig

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tony Drews
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2014 2:25 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] Front Caliper question

Thanks, Tony Drews

Dear Sir,

A fellow competitor has an Europa with Wilwood calipers and GT6 discs. The
Wilwood caliper has a 3'5" spacing between the mounting holes. These
calipers
fit directly onto the competitors caliper mount. He believes that his
caliper
mounts are from a GT6 with a 3'5"
spacing between the bolts.

fit

Thanks for your help

Peter Taft
[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Spitfire Racing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 17:28:21 -0500

Mark is spot on with his response, realize bearings will also be larger
which is a positive for racing applications. New vertical links are
available (Rimmers) and be careful with used ones especially if you don't
crack test them. There's a weak area where the threads end.
Spitfire guys do this upgrade regularly-improves safety margin and provides
better braking. Realize you then are using pads that are the same for a TR4
and also a Datsun 240Z (open up the pin holes slightly). There's lots of
great compounds for racing in that configuration.

Russ Moore
Spitfire #49

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Diesel
Performance Parts - Info
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2014 4:03 PM
To: 'Tony Drews'
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: [Fot] Front Caliper question

The GT6 caliper mount will not fit a Spitfire vertical link if my memory
serves me correctly anyway. When you change from Spit brakes to GT6 brakes
you have to have the whole wheel end to do it. Caliper, rotor, and stub axle
and vertical link etc. I don't know what the bolt spacing is though.

Mark Craig

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tony Drews
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2014 2:25 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] Front Caliper question

Thanks, Tony Drews

Dear Sir,

A fellow competitor has an Europa with Wilwood calipers and GT6 discs. The
Wilwood caliper has a 3'5" spacing between the mounting holes. These
calipers fit directly onto the competitors caliper mount. He believes that
his caliper mounts are from a GT6 with a 3'5"
spacing between the bolts.

Thanks for your help

Peter Taft
[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Dennis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 13:25:59 +0000 (UTC)

Bob Rickner (RRF Classic Car) carries new forged vertical links for GT6 and
Spitfire. His personal hobby is Lotus stuff so he is also knowledgeable with
the Lotus. He has both solid trunion pin and drilled pin vertical links. He
has a nice trunionless set up I've been running on my car for several years
now. He carries aluminum hubs and caliper brackets. His email:B Jr. Robert
Rickner <[email-masked]>
Nice guy. Good to deal with.BrianFoster, RI

      From: Diesel Performance Parts - Info <[email-masked]>
 To: 'Tony Drews' <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
 Sent: Saturday, December 6, 2014 4:03 PM
 Subject: Re: [Fot] Front Caliper question

Mark Craig

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tony Drews
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2014 2:25 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] Front Caliper question

Arrgh.B  Copy / pasted through notepad this time.

I received this question and have no clue what the answer is (and of course
don't have any GT6 front caliper mounts).B  Anyone on this list know the
answer?B  See below.

Thanks, Tony Drews

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your help

Peter Taft
[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Dennis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 16:49:05 +0000 (UTC)

Mark Craig

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tony Drews
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2014 2:25 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] Front Caliper question

Thanks, Tony Drews

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your help

Peter Taft
[email-masked]

---

From: Diesel Performance Parts - Info <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 07:13:16 -0600

Would this be the same parts that are sold by the English Company that specializes in Triumphbs?? I canbt remember their name right now, maybe Rimmer Bros??

Mark Craig

www.dieselperformanceparts.com
From: Brian Dennis [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2014 7:26 AM
To: Diesel Performance Parts - Info; FOT List Triumph
Cc: Jr. Robert Rickner
Subject: Re: [Fot] Front Caliper question

Nice guy. Good to deal with.
Brian
Foster, RI

________________________________
Sent: Saturday, December 6, 2014 4:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Front Caliper question

Mark Craig

www.dieselperformanceparts.com<http://www.dieselperformanceparts.com>
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2014 2:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Front Caliper question

Thanks, Tony Drews

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your help

Peter Taft

At 01:12 PM 12/6/2014, Tony Drews wrote:

>http://www.fot-racing.com<http://www.fot-racing.com/>
>

http://www.fot-racing.com<http://www.fot-racing.com/>

http://www.fot-racing.com<http://www.fot-racing.com/>