Subject: [Fot] Fw: [TR] 10 spline diameters?

From: Jack Wheeler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 13:48:45 +0000 (UTC)

The stock input shaft diameter and splines on the TR-6 and GT-6 transmissions
are different.B  When SCCA approved the Dolomite Sprint close ratio gearbox
(about 1980) for use in the TR-4, the Dolomite gearbox had the same input
shaft as the GT-6.B  So, until I moved up to a Tilton clutch, I simply used a
GT-6 clutch plate with the TR-6 pressure plate.B  I hope this helps.
Jack Wheeler
    ----- Forwarded Message -----
  From: Ted Schumacher <[email-masked]>
 To: Bud <[email-masked]>
Cc: Triumph List <[email-masked]>; FOT <[email-masked]>
 Sent: Friday, December 19, 2014 9:35 PM
 Subject: Re: [Fot] [TR] 10 spline diameters?

Bud, GT6 is 1" 10 spline. We did the TR6 trans conversion 40 years ago. We can
supply whatever you need - clutch, etc.B  Please let me know if we can help.
Ted

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

Bud <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Listerati,
>
>What is the diameter of a 10 spline input shaft on a GT6 transmission? Is it
>the exact same size as a 10 spline TR6 transmission?
>
>I'm thinking of mating a TR6 tranny to a Spitfire that already has a GT6
>tranny. Anyone done this?
>
>I heard that Kas adapted a TR6 to a Spit but haven't seen in any of his
books
>what is involved. Hope he see's this post and can provided the details. My
>hope is that I'm half way there with a GT6 tranny already in place and can
use
>the existing clutch and flywheel.
>
>Also, any recommendations on companies that reline clutches? The existing
>clutch is apparently a custom hybrid for a GT6 tran mated to a Spit.
>
>Thanks
>Bud
>
>** [email-masked] **
>
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bob Kramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 08:26:58 -0600

So is that the same spline as the TR7/TR8. 5 speed?

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 20, 2014, at 7:48 AM, Jack Wheeler <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: SCOTT JANZEN <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 10:06:43 -0500

If you put a tr6 box in, you will also need to invert the clutch actuating
shaft, redrill it for the tapered pin from the other direction, and fabricate
a mount for the slave cylinder.  The tr6 slave is underslung and will hit the
frame.  You'll need a new rear trans mount (frame welding), a hybrid shortened
driveshaft with a tr6 yoke on the front end.
Tr6 box weighs about 25- 30 lb more, shift lever ends up in the same place as
a gt6 box and it fits under a gt6 trans cover.
If you put a close ratio gear set in (avail from Moss) the input shaft is 1",
21 spline (tr7 disc?).  Close ratio is great on the track but 1st gear is
really tall for slow speeds.
Also check the input shaft bushing in the crankshaft to make sure it extends
far enough to the rear to support the trans input shaft. Lastly, you will need
a tr6 rear engine plate, which bolts right onto the Gt6 block, don't know
about the spit.

Sent from my mobile device

> On Dec 19, 2014, at 9:35 PM, Ted Schumacher <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Bud, GT6 is 1" 10 spline. We did the TR6 trans conversion 40 years ago. We
can supply whatever you need - clutch, etc.  Please let me know if we can
help. Ted
books
use
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Ted Schumacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 12:32:12 -0500

Bob, no on spline. GT6 is 1"/10 spline. TR7 is 1"/23 spline. Ted

On 12/20/2014 9:26 AM, Bob Kramer wrote:
> can
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
>
>
>
>

-- 
Ted Schumacher
[email-masked]
http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com
108 S. Jefferson St.
Pandora, Ohio, USA 45877
Fax: 419.384.3272 (24 Hrs.)
Phone: 800.543.6648 (US & Canada)
Tech/ Gen. Information/ Worldwide: 419.384.3022
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]