Subject: Re: [Fot] TR3 clutch

From: "MadMarx" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 19:40:08 +0200

I say only one word: Tilton :-)

Cheers
Chris

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] Im Auftrag von David Kettler
Gesendet: Montag, 20. Oktober 2014 19:32
An: Friends of Triumph
Betreff: [Fot] TR3 clutch

I have a friend who does Auto X in his TR3.  He is looking for a clutch
assembly that is less prone to slipping than the stock setup.  He has also
broken the hardened pins holding the clutch fork to the shaft.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Dave Kettler
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: TR4 Tony <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 18:42:52 +0100

Hi Dave

I use a helix sprung paddle clutch and an ap racing high pressure cover on my
rally TR4 so this arrangement is going to stand up to the sort of rigours of
auto crossing as we end up doing some tight and nadgery 'tests' on events
quite often.

This assembly operates more or less as a standard spring clutch but just a bit
more on / off with little travel. the 4 pods of material on the paddle driven
plate are ceramettalic so stand up to hard starts and big sharp rear end turns
on full power quite well. I'm getting a year or 10000 rally miles out of a 3
part assembly. The covers are long serving but the bearings tend to get
hammered.

Careful where you but as much trash abounds ... Mine come from TR Enterprises
in the UK. Look for www.triumphspecialtuning.co.uk

Regards

Tony

Sent from my iPhone

> On 20 Oct 2014, at 18:31, David Kettler <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "J.C. Hassall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 14:23:36 -0400

Dave,
I use the TR4A clutch and PP (the diaphragm type), which has held up well.

WRT the hardened pin, drill the fork and shaft to insert a 0.25 hardened bolt.
ISTR that the procedure is described on the Buckeye Triumphs site.  If you
can't find it, let me know

Jim

Fat-thumbed from my iPhone

> On Oct 20, 2014, at 1:31 PM, David Kettler <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Dave Kettler
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Ricco <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 13:25:24 -0500

Dave, SCCA wrote an article in November of 2013 about clutch manufacturers.
It was helpful to me.  We own 2 Tilton race clutch packages, but I wanted
something to work with a flywheel and crank that were not the best fit for a
Tilton.  I spoke with several companies and ordered from SPEC CLUTCH.  Spec
makes everything in house and in the US.  They do not modify stock components.
They have 6-7 offerings ranging from street, race, rally, etc.  They can build
sprung, unsprung, puck, etc.  They are very helpful and know about Triumphs,
because they already support several Triumph owners.  The products that showed
up appear to be very well made and came in 4 days from ordering.  They will
help you on the phone with a configuration for your needs.
www.specclutch.com.  Good Luck, Paul Ricco

> Dave Kettler
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Marcel Van Mulders" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 00:35:13 +0200

The TR4A diaphragm type clutch cover can take much more power than the
spring type TR2-TR4. The TR3 flywheel has to be redrilled and you need also
the TR4A bearing carrier and release bearing. Moss Europe sells an uprated
TR4A cover but the standard Borg and Beck TR4A cover is already much better
and also lighter than the TR3 clutch.
Part no 158777HDX (12.00#) is an high tensile fork pin from Moss Europe.
In racing, I used Helix and Tilton plates and covers. Helix has sprung 7.25"
plates with 1" x 23 splines and 1"x 10  splines, Tilton 7.25" are unsprung
plates with 1" x 10 splines. Both types need special lightweight flywheels
and are very good for standing starts in circuit racing. A standard TR4A
cover is about 45 #, an uprated TR4A cover is 5x more expensive. Tilton and
Helix systems, inclusive flywheel can easily be 10x more expensive than the
standard TR4A(8 1/2") system. Probably the standard TR4A system will do for
auto X? With an uprated cover, the clutch will surely not slip.
Marcel
-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] Namens David Kettler
Verzonden: maandag 20 oktober 2014 19:32
Aan: Friends of Triumph
Onderwerp: [Fot] TR3 clutch

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Dave Kettler

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Jerry Van Vlack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 18:54:28 -0400 a=/SXGE5kDesdBB+LWuquHZQ==:117 a=/SXGE5kDesdBB+LWuquHZQ==:17 a=ayC55rCoAAAA:8 a=zTVDa7HKqxcA:10 a=8nJEP1OIZ-IA:10 a=doupyKFmAAAA:8 a=l-TxZ7O1AfrZQMk9XDUA:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10

Several years ago (30+) after being frustrated with TR4A clutch failures I 
approached the local Borg and Beck rebuilder (now long gone) and he said 
he'd rebuild my PP using a diaphragm spring from a Rover V-8 PP. He also 
supplied a new disc that was supposed to be an upgrade but I don't recall 
what was different from an OE disc. Since then I have not had any clutch 
issues. I did replace the disc once just because I was in there and thought 
that I should. Maybe someone out there in TR land knows more about the Rover 
clutch spring and could jump in with knowledge. I can say I have not had any 
issues with slippage since then and it's a very positive engagement.
JVV
-----Original Message----- 
From: David Kettler
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2014 1:31 PM
To: Friends of Triumph
Subject: [Fot] TR3 clutch

I have a friend who does Auto X in his TR3.  He is looking for a clutch
assembly that is less prone to slipping than the stock setup.  He has
also broken the hardened pins holding the clutch fork to the shaft.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Dave Kettler

---

From: Joe Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 17:59:31 -0500

I have a drill jig that has been used by me and others to convert the Tr3
flywheel to a diaphragm style.  The flywheel should be lightened, while at
it.

It would seem that a stock set up for diaphragm should be adequate for a
few auto crosses a year.  We cross drill the fork and shaft. The pin is
just not a good design.

On Monday, October 20, 2014, David Kettler <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/
> options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Jack Brooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 17:19:30 -0700

I've been very happy AutoX'ing the Clutchmasters TR4a-6 clutch kit on a 21
lb modified late flywheel.  I crossdrilled the TO Bearing fork on the
crosshaft and also seem to recall that the part the TO Bearing rides on
needed to be shortened slightly.  I'll bet I can find that new dimension if
needed.

If you are concerned about slippage you can use the SAAB 9000 Turbo pressure
plate.  It's a match for the TR4a-6 part and I believe it's a bit stronger
than the clutchmaster setup I used.

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of David Kettler
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2014 10:32 AM
To: Friends of Triumph
Subject: [Fot] TR3 clutch

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Dave Kettler

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 14:38:11 +0000

I use a SPEC Stage 3 paddle clutch in our TR3A.......great no
problems......and like Paul said, give them a call and they are very helpful
in getting just what you need.....

John H. Hasty | MULLEN HOLLAND & COOPER P.A.
Attorney at Law
301 South York Street  (zip: 28052)
P.O. Box 488
Gastonia, NC 28053-0488
Telephone: 704.864.6751 | Facsimile: 704.861.8394
[email-masked] | www.mhc-law.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Paul Ricco
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2014 2:25 PM
To: David Kettler
Cc: Friends of Triumph
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR3 clutch

makes everything in house and in the US.  They do not modify stock
components.

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Robert M. Lang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 12:36:15 -0400 (EDT)

Plus one for Spec

They were very helpful for me (autox tr6)

I got a full 10 autocross seasons on one clutch disk / pressure plate and 
I do very hard launches. Probably did something like 500 autocross runs in 
that time.

Regarding Spec, they even knew the difference that the c/r gearbox uses 
the 23-spline intput shaft.

www.specclutch.com

regards,
rml
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]