Subject: [Fot] FW: Understanding Differentials

From: "Barry Munson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 14:45:17 -0600

Amici - I came across the following list of references on the functioning of
the various types of differentials. I took it from an article that was
prepared for Ross Bentley's Speed Weeks by Jeff Braun. I refer you
specifically to the second article "Understanding Differentials" by Craig
Taylor which is really excellent in explaining how the various types of
differentials function, their weaknesses and benefits in a racing
application, however what I found most interesting was his suggestions on
the car's setup to take advantage of the benefits of the particular
differential installed and to deal with its limitations. During the
construction phase on the TR3, I recalled reading a discussion by Jack Drews
in which he made the point that as he removed bars from the rear of the his
TR4 it became quicker. This really intrigued me as I tried to understand the
logic of what was happening - I know there are lots of variables to consider
here.

With due consideration to Jack's comments, for the TR3 I chose a 7/8 inch
front bar (Greg Solow), TR6 front competition coil springs (Ted S.),
competition rear leaf spring (Rimmer), TR6 upper and lower control arms,
uprights and trunions - all mounted on a TR6 competition bushing kit
(Goodparts), adjustable front Gaz shocks, fully adjustable rear lever shocks
( Peter Caldwell), a Quaife LSD and NO rear anti-roll bar. In this
configuration the TR3 is very neutral on corner entry (fast or tight
corners), mid turn and exit traction - with the power currently available.
Having never raced it in the rain I am not sure how it will perform,
however, if performance on gravel is any indication I'll be dealing with a
significant amount of oversteer.

Barry.

.

.        Wikipedia:
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=2KkWpZ&m=3VPQ4meZ7sHFWQS&b=id9_s3bbm8hmq5e
RK2b1JQ> Basics of a differential
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=2KkWpZ&m=3VPQ4meZ7sHFWQS&b=Z5gZzeTMu4e3Xrr
KZbO1aQ> "  

.        Understanding Differentials
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=2KkWpZ&m=3VPQ4meZ7sHFWQS&b=Z5gZzeTMu4e3Xrr
KZbO1aQ> " - a great article by a good friend, Craig Taylor 

*
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=2KkWpZ&m=3VPQ4meZ7sHFWQS&b=BrI370KigBrcWo7
.Ouf86Q> Fantastic animation video of a Limited Slip Differential
*
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=2KkWpZ&m=3VPQ4meZ7sHFWQS&b=yxFrqdMfJ7Nv9S.
wPEUwdg> Very good animation video of ramp-style differential

- Jeff Braun
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Chuck Arnold and/or Kathleen Kelley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 14:30:41 -0700

Thanks Barry, very informative.

If one uses the Goodparts diff kit with  Nissan/Infinity diff, one gets a
viscous limited slip.

Sam H mentioned to me that thes tend not to be good for longer races as the
silicon heats up and has less damping effect -- at least that is what I
think he meant.

 Chuck

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Barry Munson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> <
> http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=2KkWpZ&m=3VPQ4meZ7sHFWQS&b=id9_s3bbm8hmq5e
> <
> http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=2KkWpZ&m=3VPQ4meZ7sHFWQS&b=Z5gZzeTMu4e3Xrr
> KZbO1aQ> "
>
> <
> http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=2KkWpZ&m=3VPQ4meZ7sHFWQS&b=Z5gZzeTMu4e3Xrr
> <
> http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=2KkWpZ&m=3VPQ4meZ7sHFWQS&b=BrI370KigBrcWo7
> <
> http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=2KkWpZ&m=3VPQ4meZ7sHFWQS&b=yxFrqdMfJ7Nv9S
> .
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]