Subject: [Fot] GT6 transmission

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 20:29:48 -0400 (EDT)

Looking for advice on a transmission upgrade for the GT6.  I've spoken 
with Quantum Mechanics and they offer four options.  Standard GT6 box, 
upgraded GT6 box with TR7 gears, a TR6 trans mod and the T9 option.  My 
fear with the GT6 option is the constant rebuilding, although I 
understand it offers the best ratios.  The best seems to be the T9, but 
$3400 is a lot especially considering the other costs of building a 
racecar from the ground up
If the T9 is the best, would it be a sound move to go with a lower diff 
ratio to be able to utilize 5th gear, or stick with the 3.27:1.
Thanks
Dave and Alex
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Brian Dennis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 10:25:37 +0000 (UTC)

I had similar GT6 box issues for years. My solution was a TR6 box built by
Erik at Her Majesty's Auto Service in RI. I wanted something I could afford (I
know oxymoron in auto racing) and something more stout. The TR6 box has full
season of N.E. hillclimbing in my full race spitsix. Not a single crunch,
grind or unusual noise so far. I do a lot of shifting on hillclimbs but
probably not as much as a road race weekend. FYI - you will need to notch the
frame rail to clear the TR6 clutch linkage. I also heated and bent the linkage
lever and made a new push rod.Good luck,Brian
      From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
 To: [email-masked]; Fot <[email-masked]>; Fot
<[email-masked]>
 Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2014 10:53 PM
 Subject: Re: [Fot] GT6 transmission

Hello guys,
We have tried most of the options you have listed and unfortunately, it is of
my opinion that none of those options are best for a GT6.
You could search the world over and not find a better person to discuss this
issue than me.
I have driven race cars with many different gt6 trans options and broken many,
many transmisions.B  After years of trying and testing, We have found very
sound (race proven) solutions to those problems.
The bad news is that you have only two choices.
A stock gt6 barn find or donor car box is the cheap and quick way to get out
on track and race and learn about the perils of gt6 racing but remains in fact
that these boxes must be babyed and driven carefully... And have a very short
lifespan.B 
The tr6 and t-9, which I also wouldn't recomend for other reasons. But others
may find these options adequit. (Such as scott janzen who I trust very much as
a source for gt6 opinion)

For serious racing, the best option is what we use. It's very smart and quite
expensive.B  This is our current custom conversion that we now use and
recomend for racing. It is awesome and pretty much bullet proof. We can build
and instal this "kit" now but unfortunately, it requires an FGR fab and instal
for which we need to have the car in our shop to do so. We are doing two other
cars this winter so the timing may be good because we would be doing multiple
units.
Details are not nessisarily secret, but fall within the bounds of truely
interested parties only.
Our product uses parts from a pair of companies that kas kastner worked for.
Kas very much liked seeing our transmission in action and is proud of us for
our work on solving this known problem.
If I was building a car as you are, I would start with a solid drive train
that I knew would not fail me. We would be happy to help you... Unfortunatly,
it will cost a bit more than the T-9 you speak of, but the ratIos are much
better, it will be stronger and have a more "race inspired ridgidity"
Contact me anytime if you would be interested.
Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Fot] GT6 transmission

Looking for advice on a transmission upgrade for the GT6.B  I've spoken
with Quantum Mechanics and they offer four options.B  Standard GT6 box,
upgraded GT6 box with TR7 gears, a TR6 trans mod and the T9 option.B  My
fear with the GT6 option is the constant rebuilding, although I
understand it offers the best ratios.B  The best seems to be the T9, but
$3400 is a lot especially considering the other costs of building a
racecar from the ground up
If the T9 is the best, would it be a sound move to go with a lower diff
ratio to be able to utilize 5th gear, or stick with the 3.27:1.
Thanks
Dave and Alex
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]