Subject: [Fot] HSR Savannah Classic

From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 15:32:00 +0000

This was my first time at the Hutchinson Island track which was built in 1997
or so for Indy cars and was used only once.  Since then it has been rarely
used and this HSR event is currently the only race the track is used for.  We
arrived late Thursday and registration was easy and considerate. Tech was as
well as they accepted my annual from VDCA , something that SVRA won't do.
There were two practice sessions on Friday both on time.  I really like the
track.  Good grip.   No time to relax, you are turning, shifting, braking ect.
Every second of a lap and the bowl shaped turn 1 and 2 complex is a religious
experience.  Ceasar, Shey, Mark and Myself all liked the track. Friday night
there was a reception at the Westin resort overlooking the Savannah harbor
with free drinks, snacks and a kicking good country Rock band.  Saturday had
one practice/qualifying session and the first race.  I chased two Alfas the
whole race and never could pass them.  The fast cars (TransAm, Chevrons etc)
were in the 1:20 range, I was 1:39.  Saturday night there was a shin dig held
on the lawn adjacent to the spectator/vendor area overlooking turns 2,3,4&5.
Free beer/wine, chicken fingers, wings, Quesada's and a rock band.  There was
a good number of spectators on Sat. and Sun. as well as many vendors, car mfg.
car show, and even an airplane vendor.  How they managed to fly that thing in
there is a mystery to me. Sunday, our group race was at 10:00am, I passed one
of the Alfas, caught the next one and a double yellow came out and the race
finished under it.  The only negative thing about the event was HSR's obvious
bias against truly vintage cars.  Our run group, for instance, contained 52
cars that ranged from bug eye sprites to GT 350's, 914/6's, Miata Spec Racers.
RX7's, Acuras', and assorted sports racers.  But, the track and the social
events out weigh this in my opinion, I'll go again.....

John H. Hasty | MULLEN HOLLAND & COOPER P.A.
Attorney at Law
301 South York Street  (zip: 28052)
P.O. Box 488
Gastonia, NC 28053-0488
Telephone: 704.864.6751 | Facsimile: 704.861.8394
[email-masked]<http://@mhc-law.com> |
www.mhc-law.com<http://www.mhc-law.com/>
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "William T newman " <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 19:14:31 -0400 (EDT)

Amici:
I was the second half of the FOT effort at Savannah last weekend. Being a member of HSR off and on since 2007, I agree with most of John Hasty's e-mail. I don't think that HSR is biased against truly vintage cars, they want and can find a class for anyone that is willing to pay the money for entry. Therefore there were a few Spec Miata's and a 2002 Acura entered. HSR was mostly a high dollars Porsche group for awhile, but under the new ownership, I have seen some changes for the better. 
As far as negatives for this race weekend, HSR overbooked the paddock and put vendors in racecar space. They also combined our Groups 2 & 3 which put too many cars on a short track. I am told that the corner workers were the maintenance people from the golf course and they were given some training, but one corner station had a guy wearing a RED shirt and considering the number of cars on the track, I never saw a overtake flag.
As far as my weekend went, the Spitfire Sebring/LeMans coupe lost 3rd gear during the first practice. The bolt that holds the shift lever to the linkage sheared during the second practice. I started the Saturday Race dead last using 4th gear and an occasional 2nd, but still finished third in a four car class due to the expiration of a Bugeye. I received a ribbon and medallion for the effort, but it was the most disappointing race I have ever experienced.
Despite all the problems, I will probably go back next year because, as John mentioned, the social events, weather, and Downtown Savanna nightlife are terrific.

Bill Newman
1964 Spitfire Coupe
1971 GT6