Subject: Re: [Fot] GT6 Brakes.

From: "Spitfire Racing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 16:10:32 -0400

Ditto!
Pretty much what I arrived at also. I found it much more important to
lightly remove any glaze from the braking surfaces. I run GT-6/TR-4 pads on
the Spitfire, as do most other Spitfires.

Russ Moore
Spitfire #49

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2014 3:27 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] GT6 Brakes.

In a message dated 08/24/2014 1:49:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
[email-masked] writes:

> P. J. -- be sure to check the manufacturer's recommendations for 
> break-in procedure for those pads and be sure to follow it if you're 
> going to skim them and try again with the same pads.
> 
> 

Hmmmm...

We used to be paranoid about breaking in brake pads in accordance with the 
manufacturer's instructions.  We'd devote a special session to it, putting 
an "X" on our car to alert others that we were doing something special.  And

it seemed to work, as we had no issues.  

But as the years went by it seemed to become less and less important, to a 
point where we did very little special at all to break pads in (maybe 
nothing more than get them hot, and cool them off once or twice) before
serious 
racing.  And there was no difference...we had no issues.

I noticed little or no difference from when we made a big deal out of it, 
and when we rushed the break in, if at all.  It made me think that the 
manufacturer's instructions was little more than a potential PYA cop out.
If you 
complained about your brake pads, their answer was, "Well you probably broke

them in wrong."

Anyone share those feelings, or am I out in Left Field by myself again?

For years now we've been running Hawk brake pads, but early on we started 
out with Ferodo and Velvet Touch (names from the past).

Bill Dentinger
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 20:53:56 +0000

Ah.....Ferodo ... real asbestos.... Their break in instructions would take up
an entire practice session.  With the bike Sun morning practice was always
devoted to breaking in a new set of front Ferodo pads.  Like Kas said, with
Carbotec just drag them every 30 sec or so for a lap, brake slow a few laps &
hit them hard 3 or 4 times, come in and let them cool and you are set

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 24, 2014, at 3:28 PM, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
serious
If you
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]