Subject: Re: [Fot] GT6 Brakes.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:27:14 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 08/24/2014 1:49:15 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> P. J. -- be sure to check the manufacturer's recommendations for 
> break-in procedure for those pads and be sure to follow it if you're 
> going to skim them and try again with the same pads.
> 
> 

Hmmmm...

We used to be paranoid about breaking in brake pads in accordance with the 
manufacturer's instructions.  We'd devote a special session to it, putting 
an "X" on our car to alert others that we were doing something special.  And 
it seemed to work, as we had no issues.  

But as the years went by it seemed to become less and less important, to a 
point where we did very little special at all to break pads in (maybe 
nothing more than get them hot, and cool them off once or twice) before serious 
racing.  And there was no difference...we had no issues.

I noticed little or no difference from when we made a big deal out of it, 
and when we rushed the break in, if at all.  It made me think that the 
manufacturer's instructions was little more than a potential PYA cop out.  If you 
complained about your brake pads, their answer was, "Well you probably broke 
them in wrong."

Anyone share those feelings, or am I out in Left Field by myself again?

For years now we've been running Hawk brake pads, but early on we started 
out with Ferodo and Velvet Touch (names from the past).

Bill Dentinger
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive