Subject: [Fot] Spitfire Synchros

From: "Joe Guinan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 14:02:07 -0500

Is the "Common Knowledge" that repro synchronizer rings are junk still
current, or has anyone had success with new batches of these buggers?  A
friend is having to rebuild a late single rail box because it refused to
shift into 2nd gear, and so we thought we ought to at least check on what is
available.

I have a couple spare single rail boxes laying around, so can probably
mix-n-match what we find is needed, but it would sure be nice to not have to
tear down several transmissions to fix one.

Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Spitfire Racing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 15:47:30 -0400

I have been using the synchros from Spitbits and never had a problem on
Spitfires and GT-6s. I think you may be confusing these with the synchros
for the big TR's, most of which are junk made by the big three in China.
There is some hope as I have heard of some German sourced ones that are both
correct dimension and proper Rockwell hardness. Moss is selling these as a
"premium" synchro as is I believe Rimmer Bros.

Russ

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Joe Guinan
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 3:02 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Fot] Spitfire Synchros

Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 20:40:56 +0000

My experience is that the German ones are little better.... My close ratio Tr
box still scrapes if you try and shift with the speed that racing requires
going up in the box.  Not as bad going down.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 6, 2014, at 3:56 PM, "Spitfire Racing" <[email-masked]>
wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Steve Yott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 16:08:19 -0500

The late Spitfire (large) synchros offered by the big suppliers are all
"County" brand and they are a problem.  I have run through many and all of
them are of poor quality.  The issue is that they are not round and I have
measured them as being oval by up to .008" to the point where you can
actually feel them rock on the gear.  They do not grab the gear as they
should mostly because of the out of round issue.  The TR (big box)  "county"
branded synchros seem to work fine in street gearboxes but I don't use these
on the competition boxes that I build.  For these I use the new German made
synchros offered as "heavy duty" synchros from the large suppliers.  They
seem to be a better build and grab the gear very well.

For a Spitfire I recommend digging into a used box and grabbing all the good
synchros you can find and especially the 3rd and 4th gear parts as these
usually have good life left in them.  I have had many issues with the
"county" synchros and mostly with 2nd gear not wanting to engage and all
were resolved by reusing good original synchros salvaged from other gear
boxes.

Just my opinion and it sure would be nice if County would investigate this
problem and find a solution.

Steve Yott
Silver Lake Triumph Centre

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Spitfire Racing
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 2:48 PM
To: 'Joe Guinan'
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] Spitfire Synchros

Russ

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Joe Guinan
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 3:02 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Fot] Spitfire Synchros

Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE

---

From: John Styduhar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 19:13:42 -0400

Steve, is there any stamping or other identification marking on the better
synchros for the TR3-4 box, or do they look the same as the other brand?

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM, Steve Yott <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Steve Yott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 18:19:06 -0500

Great questionb&. There is no other identification!!!  Kind of scaryb&b&.
The difference that I see is that the County versions are packed in County
labeled cardboardb& the bbetterb version is packed in a non-descript
cardboard..

If we only knew!!!

Steve

From: John Styduhar [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 6:14 PM
To: Steve Yott; Triumph 'Friends of Triumph
Subject: Re: [Fot] Spitfire Synchros

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM, Steve Yott <[email-masked]

Steve Yott

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 2:48 PM
To: 'Joe Guinan'
Subject: Re: [Fot] Spitfire Synchros

Russ

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 3:02 PM
Subject: [Fot] Spitfire Synchros

Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE

---

From: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 21:09:18 -0400

Matt Bakes at Triumph Rescue has been building my gearboxes (TR4-6) and he
tells me he gets heavy-duty synchros from from Moss UK.  I find it really hard
to shift badly enough to grind a gear, and they certainly have been lasting
two seasons or so before I pre-emptively have him "freshen" the box, not
because any have failed.

On Aug 6, 2014, at 7:19 PM, Steve Yott wrote:

If we only knew!!!

Steve

Steve Yott

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 2:48 PM
To: 'Joe Guinan'
Subject: Re: [Fot] Spitfire Synchros

Russ

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 3:02 PM
Subject: [Fot] Spitfire Synchros

Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE

---

From: John Styduhar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 11:54:36 -0400

The last set of TR3-4 synchro rings I bought had Triumph factory part
number 113431 stamped on each one.  Not sure if these were HD or
knock-offs. The seller claimed they were premium quality, but for the price
I paid, I think they were the latter.

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 9:09 PM, Scott Janzen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> tells me he gets heavy-duty synchros from from Moss UK.  I find it really
> hard to shift badly enough to grind a gear, and they certainly have been
> lasting two seasons or so before I pre-emptively have him "freshen" the
> box, not because any have failed.
>
> labeled cardboardb& the b betterb version is packed in a non-descript
> cardboard..
>
>
>
> If we only knew!!!
>
>
>
> Steve
>
>
>
> Behalf Of Spitfire Racing
> Behalf Of Joe Guinan
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]