Subject: [Fot] Overheat and low oil pressure

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 20:19:33 -0400 (EDT)

First, let me tell everyone who chimed in that I am amazed at the 
support that this group offers to newbie group members. My son and I 
want to thank all who have tried to help us resolve our low oil problem.

Today I tested the 4421 Autometer gauge against a Lange pressure tester 
to see if the gauge was the problem.  I started the engine (cold) and 
recorded pressures at different RPM's.  The Autometer showed 22lbs at 
1000RPM's, then I revved to 2000R's and the gauge showed 76lbs for a 
second and then dropped hard to below 50lbs. That was odd.

Next I removed the pressure line from the block and installed the Lange 
gauge.  At 1000 R's it showed 20LBs, at 2000 it showed 55, and at 3000 
it showed 90lbs.

I can't test the motor hot because we also fried the alternator last 
weekend and it's in getting rebuilt. No belt to the water pump.

Then I pulled the oil filter and cut the can off.  I did notice a very 
few specks of metal in the filter folds in the bottom of the element. 
The engine has less than 1000 miles on it.  Changed the oil (Brad Penn 
20W-50) before we went to Elkhart.

I think we're OK.  We will put in a bigger radiator, install a oil 
cooler and properly shroud both.

Will test with the engine hot when the alt comes back.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Dave Amys
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive