Subject: [Fot] MK III / MKIV vs 1500 for vintage racing

From: A Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 23:58:51 -0400

Today it began - grandpa and Van (grandson) launched a full assault on a $200
1500.

It's in very good condition actually. We will have to put new floor pans in it
but that doesn't appear to be very difficult.

The plan is to put a 1300 in it for vintage racing. I would rather have had a
MK III (and If I can find a long day to drive there and back there are two
waiting to be had) but this one jumped out only 2 miles from my shop and was
just too easy to grab. If we end up with a MKIII then we have extra suspension
pieces, brake calipers and other parts as spares from this one. Otherwise this
one may work unless I learn in the process that we would be better off with a
MK III, which is the purpose of this post - to ask questions and learn the
difference. I have done some web searching on this and know the MK IV is about
150#'s heavier than the MK III in stock trim and the 1500 is about 180#'s
heavier. The 1500 has some chassis extensions to support the body and bumper
in the rear but those could be cut away. I think I see some extra weight in
the front end at the bumper mounts. I'm sure there is more. I'm thinking a lot
or all of the weight difference is in DOT smog and safety requirements, nicer
(ie heavier) trim and maybe a little in sound insulation.

Hopefully someone (or many) will know the answer to these questions:

First, are the MK IV and 1500 the same - car body and chassis wise - with
different badging and trim - Yes / No

Stripped out to racing trim is the body / chassis of the 1500 or MK IV heavier
than a MK III?

I believe HSR lets you run a combined driver / car weight number by adding a
given amount for the driver to the base min of 1432. Is it difficult to hit
that weight and the minimum weights without driver on the MK IV?

SVRA weight is 1432 - is that harder to hit with a MKIV than a MK III?

Is there any other reason or reasons that make a MK III more desirable?

Thanks for any help with this!

Ashley Page
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive