Subject: Re: [Fot] rear main cap seals

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 12:07:38 -0500

I've not tried alternatives, the felt seems to work well 
enough.  3/4" to 1" long pieces of felt dipped in Indian Head or 
Permatex Shellac sealant, mashed into place with something long and 
skinny using a rubber mallet until the shellac oozes out both sides 
of the block.  I use a Phillips screwdriver, others have a special 
trapezoidal tool.  I use a set of needlenose pliers to dip into the 
goo and start into the hole in the main cap.  One thing to note - 
some of the gasket kits in the past had felt that was smaller than 
the hole in the main cap, others included cork instead of felt.  Moss 
sold some felt separately that is the proper larger size.

Tony Drews

At 10:35 AM 7/8/2014, [email-masked] wrote:
>I am putting together a motor and have been advised that it is
>advantageous to replace the bcut up ropeb   (still canbt get the
>image of an elderly lady putting on panty hose out of my
>mind)  with  squeezed in silicone sealant.   Might a void form unknown
>to the installer?   If the rope is still best,   what is the best gunkum
>with which to soak it.
>
>Thanks for the access to your experience.
>
>art de armond
>_______________________________________________
>[email-masked]
>
>http://www.fot-racing.com
>
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Tim Murphy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 12:59:43 -0500

A key thing that has not been discussed so far is fitting the aluminum piece
to the block using the correct size mandrel so that it is accurately
centered on the crank.  Joe A. sells these that are the correct size and I
think the Moss ones are now the correct size.  The early ones (circa 2008)
were not the correct size and I had to turn my mandrel down to get the
correct fit.  (As I recall there was an error in the Triumph Workshop Manual
dimension.)  I've used Hylomar sealant on the split of the aluminum piece
with good results.  I made the trapezoidal punches out of brass and hammer
them in using about a 2 lb regular hammer.  When the felt starts oozing out
between the bearing block and engine block, I know I'm good.

I use the Permatex Indian Head Gasket Shellac with good results and do as
Tony says.  Lately I've been heating it up in the microwave a bit to make it
a bit more runny so it soaks into the felt better.

Tim
1961 TR4 #317

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 10:35 AM
To: FOT
Subject: [Fot] rear main cap seals

art de armond

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Greg And Alison Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 14:49:02 -0500

Don't get hung up on the source of the felt as any felt cut up into small
strips, as others have recommended, will work.

I was in a pinch, last minute engine assembly, and sent Alison to the thrift
store for some felt. She came back with left over Easter bunny baskets made
out of felt.

Don't laugh, these little bunny baskets are currently holding oil at bay in
the Blake fleet.

Greg

> On Jul 8, 2014, at 10:35 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]