Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 crankshaft steel type

From: "Steve Yott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 08:35:36 -0500

Great question and I bet we get a bunch of funny replies!!!  As far as I
know it is a steel forging but the type would be unknown to me.  I have had
a number of cranks nitride over the years and not one facility has asked
this question...

Steve Yott

PS. I believe the web at the rear main is made of tin.......!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of John Styduhar
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:28 AM
To: Triumph 'Friends of Triumph
Subject: [Fot] TR4 crankshaft steel type

What type of steel is the TR4 crankshaft made from? I need to provide this
information to the nitriding facility.  Thanks
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Duncan Charlton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 08:50:57 -0500

Greg Solow's reply from November 2010:

 >The TR-2 through TR-4 crank is made of a Manganese Steel alloy. The 
English alloy code is forged right on the crank. It is EN-16. The alloy 
can be looked up in the "Machinists Handbook"...The EN-16 alloy has 
enough good ingredients so that it benefits dramatically from being 
Nitride treated in an ammonia atmosphere.<

Duncan
(Texas)

On 7/30/14, 8:27 AM, John Styduhar wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: John Styduhar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 10:26:50 -0400

Thanks Duncan and Greg. Unfortunately, the English alloy code EN-16 was not
helpful in describing the type of steel in the TR4 crankshaft to the
metallurgy folks at P&L Heat Treating and Grinding in Youngstown, OH.  They
explained that the type of steel determines the duration and depth of the
hardening process.  Lacking this information, they cannot determine the
depth of hardness without destructive testing.

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Duncan Charlton <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> English alloy code is forged right on the crank. It is EN-16. The alloy can
> be looked up in the "Machinists Handbook"...The EN-16 alloy has enough good
> ingredients so that it benefits dramatically from being Nitride treated in
> an ammonia atmosphere.<
>
> Duncan
> (Texas)
>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/
> options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "John Hasty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 10:31:38 -0400

The front is undoubtedly made from Mex. pottery

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Steve Yott
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:36 AM
To: 'John Styduhar'; 'Triumph 'Friends of Triumph'
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 crankshaft steel type

Steve Yott

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of John Styduhar
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:28 AM
To: Triumph 'Friends of Triumph
Subject: [Fot] TR4 crankshaft steel type

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Greg And Alison Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 10:09:38 -0500

John,

I can send you three partially destructed examples for destructive testing.

Might be the reason there is not an EN16 crank in my race engine.

Let me know,

Greg

> On Jul 30, 2014, at 9:26 AM, John Styduhar <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
can
>>> options/fot/[email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: marty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:34:00 -0400

OK, along these lines.  I need a Section of a broken spitfire crank for a
"special" :) project. Does not matter what engine. If you have one in your
junk pile and are going to VTR in September or the 2015 Kastner Cup toss it in
your trailer.

Marty

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 10:09:38 -0500
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Jamie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:38:35 -0400

Marty I was literally getting ready to take a Spitfire crank metal recycling.
Obviously I'll be at VTR. Consider it taken.

Jamie Palmer

> On Jul 30, 2014, at 11:34 AM, marty <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]