Subject: Re: [Fot] Live axle tr4's, what to do for axles now ?

From: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 22:19:05 -0400

so, here's a copy of a thread from a while back, written by John Styduher and Tony Drews.  You can buy the parts Southwick used, cut the axle housing, and have someone weld on the bearing retainers, and for a lot less money and shipping costs.  

> My "copycat" Southwick conversion on a TR3 rear axle uses the 9" small Ford
> housing ends (the housing ID for the sealed bearing is 2.835").  The last
> step on the housing end is removed and then fit perfectly over the axle
> tube (2.25"OD) for welding.  The Ford axle housing fits right up against
> the small locating tab which located the outer leaf spring u-bolt, so
> orientation for track width is easy.  Moser engineering sells the 24-spline
> axles for $370.00, bearings and wedding band retainers installed for
> $75.00, and they can drill the stud holes on a 4x4.5 pattern for whatever
> wheel stud knurl diameter you are using.  Make sure to have them drill an
> access hole in the flange to make it easy to install and remove the axle
> without taking the brakes apart.  Same setup for TR4 but longer axles as
> you TR4 guys and gals already know.  Like Tony mentioned, the brake backing
> plates will need to be modified for the 4-bolt bearing retainer (backing
> plate ID needs to be enlarged slightly to slip over the bearing and the 4
> mounting holes for the C-shaped retainer need to be drilled).  As another
> patron mentioned, you can mock everything up and do your welding in situ.
> While your welding, go ahead and weld the axle tubes to the pumpkin for
> stiffening.
> 
> 
> On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 8:54 PM, Tony Drews <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> The stock design solid axle will flex in the tapered portion where the hub
>> is pressed on.  The car I rolled had stock design axles but made out of
>> very good steel and stock design hubs also made out of very good steel.
>> They were manufactured so that the "stress risers" were removed, but under
>> load the axle, about 1/3 of the way inboard of the outer nut, starts to
>> flex.  You can see the fretting inside the hub where that happens.  It
>> bends over and over until it breaks.
>> 
>> The "Southwick Rear Axle Conversion" uses Ford 8" axles that are cut down
>> in length and re-splined for the TR-differential.  The outer end of the
>> axle tube is cut off and the outboard end of a Ford 8" axle tube is welded
>> on.  It is possible that someone sells just that outer end of the axle
>> tube.  The backing plates are machined in the center to have a larger
>> diameter hole and holes are drilled for the 4 bolts which hold the axle
>> bearing into the housing.
>> 
>> These axles are a one piece design - the hub / flange is part of the axle
>> shaft.  The outer bearing is pressed on and an inner retainer is pressed on
>> to hold the bearing in place.  It is a sealed bearing, so acts as the
>> bearing AND the outer seal.  There is an o-ring which goes around the
>> outside of the bearing to seal that area too.
> 

On Jul 10, 2014, at 5:46 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

FoT, 
I know someone preparing a live axle TR4 to go racing next year and since Southwick closed he doesn't know what to do for axles. Are Ford axles the answer ? I read somewhere the TR4A live axle is stronger, true ? 
Jim g 
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Greg And Alison Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 06:12:09 -0500

When did Southwick close?

  Dad sent them an axle about a month ago and has been talking to someone up
there that is preparing a TR4 axle setup for him, at least that's what we
think.

> On Jul 10, 2014, at 4:46 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
>
> FoT,
> I know someone preparing a live axle TR4 to go racing next year and since
Southwick closed he doesn't know what to do for axles. Are Ford axles the
answer ? I read somewhere the TR4A live axle is stronger, true ?
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 05:54:27 -0600

Maybe I was misinformed. I was asked for advice on axles and I was told they
closed.
Jim

Sent from my iPhone

---

From: "MadMarx" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 00:28:23 +0200

I just broke the left axle this weekend and nearly flipped the car.
In this case the axle broke in middle of the roller bearing position.
Never had heard of that way braking and this is difficult to check, because
you need to pull the bearing ring off.

Chris

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] Im Auftrag von
[email-masked]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 10. Juli 2014 23:47
An: fot
Betreff: [Fot] Live axle tr4's, what to do for axles now ?

FoT,

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "MadMarx" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 12:46:58 +0200

I managed to make a video with the car.

http://youtu.be/UxZ-xWHKZfg

Cheers

Chris

---

From: "Paul MacDonald" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 23:00:45 -0400

Looks smooth, both driver and car, quite a speed difference between the TR8
and slower cars.

-----Original Message-----
From: Fot [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of MadMarx
Sent: July 15, 2014 6:47 AM
To: 'fot'
Subject: [Fot] IMSA TR8 on the run

Cheers

Chris

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Robert Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 09:16:09 -0700

FOT,

The report that Southwick is closed is quite a surprise to me.  I spoke
to them yesterday and the axle I had sent is completed and on the way back.
 About a 3-4 week turnaround at a cost of $850 plus shipping.  Contact Rob at
[email-masked] or (309) 949-2868.

Cheers,  Bob Blake

On Monday,
July 14, 2014 5:29 PM, MadMarx <[email-masked]> wrote:

I just
broke the left axle this weekend and nearly flipped the car.
In this case the
axle broke in middle of the roller bearing position.
Never had heard of that
way braking and this is difficult to check, because
you need to pull the
bearing ring off.

Chris

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Fot
[mailto:[email-masked]] Im Auftrag von
[email-masked]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 10. Juli 2014 23:47
An: fot
Betreff: [Fot] Live axle
tr4's, what to do for axles now ?

FoT,
I know someone preparing a live axle
TR4 to go racing next year and since
Southwick closed he doesn't know what to
do for axles. Are Ford axles the
answer ? I read somewhere the TR4A live axle
is stronger, true ?
Jim g
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

Donate:
Forums:
http://www.team.net/forums

Archive:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]