Subject: Re: [Fot] Not so funny TR4 tranny noise

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 14:26:20 -0600

[email-masked] wrote:
> FoT,
> My transmission had developed a high pitched whine but only in regular drive.

My first thought is a bearing in the overdrive, most likely the large diameter but
rather thin one. I'll see if I can come up with a link to a picture of it.

mjb.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 14:30:16 -0600

Number 67:

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=32778
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 17:42:12 -0600

> http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=32778

I take that back.  I've been going back and looking at the diagram. The bearing
I pointed out would not be turning in direct drive, as another list member confirmed.
But the clutch bearings are often bad in overdrives I have worked on. I've not been
inside a J type for quite some time. The last one was on a TR6. Shortly after I got
it working the car's owner committed suicide. Hopefully not related to my work on his car.

mjb.