Subject: Re: [Fot] Old race cars

From: "Dolan, James J" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 08:36:46 +0000

Kas,
I think the passing of traditions and the interest in things with "history"
will pass from our generation to the next one. Think about the interest today
in brass era cars and Big Headlight cars of the 20's and 30's. The folks who
collect and enjoy them are not folks who drove them before or shared/raced
them with the dad.

So although we see an aging crowd in the race paddock (like me) at vintage
events, I see a pretty large sport we are involved in and a lot of cars. It
may have peaked at this point, due to the aging demographic, but there were
700 cars at the SVRA Indy event. There are 200,000 people that attend the week
long Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. That is a lot of people watching TR3 & 4's
on a city street road course. As those events gain traction as "new"
traditions, they bring a new group of participants into the sport.  As a
example, your '72 GT6 will be racing at PVGP next week with my 22 year old
son.

What will be interesting to watch is how the line that separates "vintage"
cars like our Triumphs, from "modern" cars as the line of demarcation slides
up the date curve. Today's Spec Miata is tomorrow's vintage racer, and I doubt
the guys making race history with them today expect some day a guy will have
restored the SCCA National Champion car and proudly race it again.

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 6, 2014, at 7:15 AM, "Kas Kastner" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I've met a lot of young guys that love their cars.  They were not brought
> up with them, they just kind of met them along the way somewhere. Keeping
> these older cars working good and in fine trim is not easy and that is part
> of the charm and the contest. Not every young guy is lost in a field of
> modern technology.  Lots are involved and take great pride in finding ways
> to "fix" things and enjoy the research and the trials and the problems.  It
> isn't easy, but it is FUN.
>
> I never thought ANYONE would give a damn, and that was fifty years ago.
> Actually it is still kind of a mystery to me that so many really care and
> more will come along as they are right now. Just encourage and assist when
> you can.
>
> *Never be beaten by equipment.*
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 12:48:15 +0000 (UTC)

It is true that the driver meetings at most vintage events are primarily a
grey (or no) hair affair.B  Though I am not quite the young buck I was when I
started racing, I am still in my 30s which puts me down toward the bottom of
the age chart most weekends at the track.B  I started out racing more modern
cars in IT and Showroom Stock but ever since I got my first car (69 Firebird)
I had always been a fan of 60s/early 70s era cars.B  The first time I went to
a vintage event I was hooked and I have been racing vintage ever since.B  A
lot of guys race the old cars because they grew up racing those cars when they
were new or at least watching other race them.B  For me, it's an opportunity
to step back to a time
B 
----- Original Message -----

From: "Kas Kastner" <[email-masked]>
To: "FOT" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, July 6, 2014 12:14:43 AM
Subject: [Fot] Old race cars

I've met a lot of young guys that love their cars. B They were not brought
up with them, they just kind of met them along the way somewhere. Keeping
these older cars working good and in fine trim is not easy and that is part
of the charm and the contest. Not every young guy is lost in a field of
modern technology. B Lots are involved and take great pride in finding ways
to "fix" things and enjoy the research and the trials and the problems. B It
isn't easy, but it is FUN.

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 13:29:36 +0000 (UTC)

B 
It is true that the driver meetings at most vintage events are primarily a
grey (or no) hair affair.B  Though I am not quite the young buck I was when I
started racing, I am still in my 30s which puts me down toward the bottom of
the age chart most weekends at the track.B  I started out racing more modern
cars in IT and Showroom Stock but ever since I got my first car (69 Firebird)
I had always been a fan of 60s/early 70s era cars.B  The first time I went to
a vintage event I was hooked and I have been racing vintage ever since.B  A
lot of guys race the old cars because they grew up racing those cars when they
were new or at least watching other race them.B  For me, it's an opportunity
to step back to a time before I was born and experience the sights and sounds
from an era that showcased the best technology in the world, but that
technology was still accessible to the average guy.B  As an engineer, I can
appreciate the technology of today and what they are able to make racecars
do.B  As a driver, I am in awe of those that came before me in an age of
manual steering, manual brakes, and traction control that only involved one's
right foot.B  Once I experienced that, I was hooked for good and I have made
it my mission since then to do whatever I can to get people on the track so
that they can experience the same.B  Working on the car is part of the
experience - some kids will like that and some won't.B  I like knowing that I
can, will (and have) done everything up to and including changing a driveline
at the track with nothing more than simple hand tools.B  No computers or
lasers necessary - just take elbow grease and add piss and vinegar.
B 
B 
This past weekend we had the Cheetah at Gingerman Raceway in Michigan for an
open track day testing in preparation for an upcoming race at Road America.B 
Most of the participants had modern imports or exotics and had never seen up
close the likes of the Cheetah.B  Based on their reaction, they had never
heard anything like it either.B  All day we had people stopping by asking
about the car.B  That is one of the best part about old cars - they tend to be
a common denominator that can bridge gaps in age, income bracket, and all
other manner of socio-economic factors.B  There is something pure and visceral
about an old race car that bring people together.B B Velocity stacks,
pinstripes, and minilites are memory triggers that andB should be prescribed
as anti-depressants.B  Everyone has a story that they share - 'I remember
seeing one race at Meadowdale in 65' or 'I never should have sold mine' or
'This reminds me of my dad'.B  With the Cheetah the big one is 'I had a slot
car of this when I was a kid'.B  It's easy to see why the older crowd loves
them but I try to encourage the younger ones when I can.B  I will always ask
kids if they want to sit in the cars.B  At bigger events where there are
spectators I will always wave to the kids when I'm on my way to grid or on a
cooldown lap (they're at an age where they assume anyone in a firesuit is
somebody ;)B  I guess in short I try to give them some sort of memory or hook
that hopefully they will share with someone else.B  Who knows - maybe they'll
want to drive an older car too.
I have met so many amazing people since I have been vintage racing.B  Most of
the drivers share the same addiction as me so that is an easy connection to
make.B  The best experiences though are meeting those that blazed the trail
that we are all still driving down today.B  It's guys like Kas that engineered
these cars to perform beyond the factory's expecations for longer than anyone
would have ever imagined.B  It's the welders, painters, and metalsmiths that I
have seen take a piece of sheet metal and form it into a rolling work of art
suitable for any museum worth its salt.B  There have been times where I am on
a pace lap that it hits me - I amB looking out my visor at all of the cars
that I haveB spent countless hours reading/dreaming about.B  I am surrounded
by Lolas, GT40s, andB other classicsB and for thatB brief moment before the
task at handB begins I appreciate the sounds, smells, and the fact that my
right foot is already cooking in the footbox.B  This does notB happen when you
are sitting in Hyundai surrounded by Mazdas.B  B All of this together creates
a niche in the racing world that I feel blessed to be a part of.B  I want to
make sure that when I am part of the grey hair contingent at the drivers
meeting that there is another generation following that have the same crazy
spark in their eye when they hear a GT6 crackle to life and watch the 30th
running of the Kaster Cup.
B 
Brian Garcia
Crew Chief - Friendly Ghost Racing
B 
B 
B