Subject: Re: [Fot] A-Type O/D Issue

From: "Steve Yott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 12:32:32 -0600

Glenn,
This is a devil of a job even on a lucky day.  I have a lot of these under
my belt and still run into difficulties even with a custom made dummy shaft
and other assorted tools.  The trick is understanding what is happening and
and then using a lot of patients.

First if your adaptor plate is broken it was most likely overstressed with
the tightening of the two clamp down nuts.  This is common and must be
corrected with either replacing or repairing the adaptor.  If that plate is
not perfectly flat the mating surfaces will leak oil like you have never
seen!!

Second make sure the drive end of the main shaft is not bodged up and is
free of burrs.  This is an area on the shaft that takes a lot of abuse and
the splines will get buggered up easily.  You can dress these down with a
diamond file to smooth them out.

I use the following steps:

Mount the overdrive tail shaft down in a vice setup.  I made a set of clamp
blocks that hold the housing and allow the drive flange to rotate freely.
Line up the splines using a long screwdriver (or dummy shaft).  These two
splines MUST be perfectly in line with respect to each other or it just
won't go together.  I rotate the reverse clutch spine to match the spline on
the planet carrier.

Pull back the pump plunger and wire it back to the oil screen housing and
make sure it is all the way retracted.  Install the springs and put a dab of
grease on the ends to help them find their homes a little easier.

Now to the gearbox.... Using a piece of masking tape pull the reverse gear
lever back and tape it in the retracted position.  Push the front 3/4
selector forward to engage the gearbox in 4th gear.  Use a dab of stiff
grease on the pump cam to hold it on the shaft as it will try to fall down
when you turn the gearbox on its end.

Turn the main shaft on the gearbox to position the pump cam to point in the
up position.  Now carefully pick up the gearbox and place it onto the
overdrive.  Do not drop it or bang it... do this gently.  If you are lucky
the main shaft spline will drop onto the top spline in the overdrive which
is on the planet gear carrier.  If this is the case you will have pressure
on the springs and you should be able to push the gearbox down to about a
1/2 inch gap between the adaptor and the overdrive.  If this does not happen
(more than likely)... do not rotate the main shaft until you pull up about
an 1/8 inch on the gearbox (I do this with a big screw driver)  Lift the
gearbox and rotate the main shaft just slightly and lower it back down onto
the overdrive.... keep doing this until you feel the main shaft drop and
engage the first spline.  Once it does engage do not rotate anything... you
are not home yet!!!!!

Once the first section is engaged you should be able to install the clamp
nuts and lock washers.  I then use two 1/2 inch gear wrenches and begin
clamping the units together evenly...  any sideways pressure will cause the
main shaft to hang.  Once you get down to about the 1/2 inch gap area you
may feel the clamping pressure to rise and if you have to apply too much
torque to the wrenches then the splines have moved and you need to start
again.  What I normally feel is just a slight bind at this point and then
with just a little more pressure the main shaft will pop just a little and
engage on the spline of the reverse clutch.  Once you are able to clamp the
two units down to about an 1/8 inch gap you are home!  Now cut the pump pull
back wire and pull it out.  You will usually hear the pump slap the drive
cam.  Then tighten all nuts don evenly.

Like I said it will take a few try's and is not an easy task.... A second
person sometimes helps as long as they don't keep trying to turn things on
you!!!

Good luck and give me a call if you need further information.

Steve Yott

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Glenn Franco
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2013 10:19 AM
To: Friends of triumph; [email-masked]
Subject: [Fot] A-Type O/D Issue

Hi
I'm having a $!X?!! of a time installing our rebuild A-type overdrive to our
transmissions output shaft.
Numerous attempts to line up the 2 female splines in the O/D have resulted
in zero success.
Every time I line up the splines they move out of position any time the
trans is installed.
It's hard to line up these splines after the overdrive is assembled and it
always moves out of position as soon as it's all put together.
Now we have a broken adapter plate.
I do not have a dummy shaft so that is out.
Any suggestions on a successful procedure?
Thanks in Advance
Glenn
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Glenn Franco <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 17:41:23 -0500

Hi Larry and FOT
I have news for you.
We used both your publication and the one from Buckeye Triumphs. Great 
Job on both of these.
We installed the trans with the O/D down and the splines lined up or so 
we thought. I have a hole drilled in my bench to facilitate such an 
assembly and to rebuild automatic transmissions.
Every time it was lined up it moved.
In every position trans up or down it moved out of position.
One of you suggested putting a slight taper on the output shaft spline. 
I was thinking of doing just that as a lead in to create alignment 
during the assembly
When we get a new adapter plane we'll try it without the springs.
Our adapter plate was already cracked  and it looks like a rookie 
soldered, not tig welded it back together. It would have been the weak 
link in the assembly anyway and likely would have leaked.
Glenn

On 11/24/2013 12:54 PM, Larry Young wrote:
> Welcome to the club.  You should read the article that Sam Clark and I 
> have at http://www.vtr.org/maintain-index.shtml.  We stand it up on 
> the tail end so the splines will not move relative to each other.  
> Another tip not in the article is to first do it without springs to 
> get the splines lined up.  Then do it with the springs, making sure 
> they are all in the right places.  It is still difficult.  Maybe 
> someone else has a better way, but this has worked for us 
> (eventually).  Many adapter plates have been broken, so be careful.
> Larry
>
> On 11/24/2013 10:18 AM, Glenn Franco wrote:
>> Hi
>> I'm having a $!X?!! of a time installing our rebuild A-type overdrive 
>> to our transmissions output shaft.
>> Numerous attempts to line up the 2 female splines in the O/D have 
>> resulted in zero success.
>> Every time I line up the splines they move out of position any time 
>> the trans is installed.
>> It's hard to line up these splines after the overdrive is assembled 
>> and it always moves out of position as soon as it's all put together.
>> ________________________________________
>>
>> [email-masked]
>>
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>> Unsubscribe: 
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]