Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 Pinion bearing assembly question

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 12:47:12 -0700

Scott Janzen wrote:
> Question - why is the outer race shimmed at the housing, and why is this
> dimension important?  I would think the bearing pre-load could be adjusted
> entirely with the shims on the shaft?  If this is to position the pinion
> correctly fore/aft so that it lands correctly relative to the crown gear, I
> wouldn't think a few thou would make a difference.
>
Actually I think something like 10 thou will the contact patch on the 
crown wheel
about half an inch.  So yes, a few thou does indeed make a difference.

I reassemble using the shims as they were, then check contact. Adjust 
the crown
wheel left or right as needed, then reshim the pinion as needed. The 
official tool
would probably reduce the number of trials by 2 or 3, but I don't have 
one.  Oh well.

mjb.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 16:16:54 -0500

thanks - FOT comes through again.  Makes sense.
So, how about bearing preload at 15 inch/lbs?  Can I do this by feel, or
should I hang a one pound weight off the end of a 15" breaker bar?  Hmm, I
guess I know the correct answer to that.

On Nov 9, 2013, at 2:47 PM, Mark J Bradakis wrote:

> wouldn't think a few thou would make a difference.
Actually I think something like 10 thou will the contact patch on the crown
wheel
about half an inch.  So yes, a few thou does indeed make a difference.

I reassemble using the shims as they were, then check contact. Adjust the
crown
wheel left or right as needed, then reshim the pinion as needed. The official
tool
would probably reduce the number of trials by 2 or 3, but I don't have one.
Oh well.

mjb.