Subject: [Fot] A-Type O/D Issue

From: Glenn Franco <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 11:18:58 -0500

Hi
I'm having a $!X?!! of a time installing our rebuild A-type overdrive to 
our transmissions output shaft.
Numerous attempts to line up the 2 female splines in the O/D have 
resulted in zero success.
Every time I line up the splines they move out of position any time the 
trans is installed.
It's hard to line up these splines after the overdrive is assembled and 
it always moves out of position as soon as it's all put together.
Now we have a broken adapter plate.
I do not have a dummy shaft so that is out.
Any suggestions on a successful procedure?
Thanks in Advance
Glenn
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 03:12:43 +0000 (UTC)

Glenn,

I always place the 'box on the floor, shaft up, and lower the 'A' type onto
it; first, w/o springs to check alignment, then part way, whereupon, I insert
the 8 B springs prior to tightening the 2 nuts, pulling the cam up and under
the pump roller just before the gap is too small to do so. The only hard part
is getting down on the floor and back up again w/o help from nearby
furniture.B  This method works so well for me that I wouldn't consider any
other method. But, that's just me. To each his own...

Ed Woods

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 20:25:11 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:
>   The only hard part
> furniture.

Unfortunately that is getting a bit too common in my work these days.

But yes, vertical is the way to go, horizontal no.

mjb.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 04:03:28 +0000 (UTC)

Glenn,

B 

Everyone seems to have a different approach to fitting the 'A' type to the
box. Here's mine.

B 

First, I align the o/d's splines by placing the o/d unit, flange down, on a
bar stool; a bar stool upon which I'm sitting with the o/d between my legs.
Then I lift either of the two bars in front of the operating pistons in order
to disconnect the two internal splines. With the flange fixed, I rotate the
body of the o/d to align the splines, either with a dummy shaft of by eyeball
and flashlight. Then I release the connecting bar and rotate the housing
tillB a female spline is at 12 o'clock. Much easier done than said. It's a 2
minute job. Yes, 120 seconds or less.

B 

After setting a male mainshaft spline at 12 o'clock, I do a trial fit, without
springs, cam,B or gasket,B with the transmission bell housing facing down,
sitting on the floor, o/d shaft up. This way, the two splined components in
the o/d are free to rotate, relative to one another.B  You can turn the output
coupling toB adjust the splines a bit. Careful, the o/d can drop into place
suddenly. Fingers will not do much to slow it down! The only time this
procedure has ever failed was when one of the splines was damaged prior to
assembly. Now I check those fits before I assemble the gearbox or the
overdrive.

B 

If you then lift the o/d unit off the transmission very carefully, the
alignment will be maintained. Do not move the o/d coupling or the mainshaft!
Hands off.

Coat the gasket on both sides and place it on the adapter. Place the cam on
the shaft with its minimum radius down, toward the pump roller. Place 2 deep
well sockets, 180 degrees apart, on the gasket. Lower the o/d onto the
sockets. Install the 8 springs. Remove the sockets. The o/d is now resting on
the springs. Install the 2 nuts on the long studs and tighten to a point where
the cam can be engaged with the pump roller. If you are over 70, this is the
tough part: first getting on the floor, then using a flashlight a couple of
screwdrivers to engage the pump roller and cam. Now get up, using the closest
piece of furniture or floor mounted equipment to assist.B  Tighten the two
nuts till the o/d is flush with the adapter. Half the time it will go right
home. Otherwise, tweak the output flange a bit to make it so.B  Since the
springs are in place and compressed, the two o/d splinesB should move as one.

On rare occasions, I may have to go through this procedure a second time,
usually because I carelessly moved the shaft or coupling after the first
fitting, the one w/o the springs or gasket.

And, yes, I should learn to tie the pump roller down with a piece of string or
wire. Old dog....

Ed Woods

B