Subject: Re: [Fot] TR3 Prices

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 16:11:03 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 11/05/2013 8:32:18 PM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> And, recently, for whatever auction prices do for the collector car 
> market,
> good or bad, a perfectly restored small mouth TR3 went for $55,000.00.
> I have my TR3 race car insured for $30K

Amici...

I share Dave's position that the early, small mouthed version is the more 
desirable TR3.  Probably because I've owned and raced one for some 
thirty-three years, but more than that...I think it's style is classic.  The way I 
understand it...Standard Triumph changed the small mouthed TR3 grill to the 
wide TR3A version because they saw that American cars at the time all had wide 
grills.  The change was made in an effort to attract more American buyers.  
If that story is so, I always thought that they had shot themselves in the 
foot.  Back in the 1950s, any American who was going to purchase a 'Foreign' 
car sure wanted it to look 'Foreign' and not American.  But the sales were 
pretty good, so who knows.

Bill Dentinger

PS I also agree with Duncan that Grandpa should consider carefully the 
impact a 'gift' or even 'cut rate pricing' might have on his grandson.  On the 
one hand getting something for nothing can cause you to lose sight of the 
value.  Some grandsons could handle such issues just fine.  Others not so much. 
 Grandpa might consider financing the deal.  Dealing with the debt has 
great educational value, and Grandpa can always forgive the debt, or a portion 
of it when and if that becomes appropriate.  Shirley and I recently sold a 
very low mileage 1995 Taurus to one of our grandsons for one dollar.  He 
needed a car and was up against the wall financially (college debt).  He really 
appreciated our gesture.  Within two weeks it had a brand new awesome radio 
and sound system, but I still don't have my dollar.  At some time, when it 
becomes appropriate, we can always forgive the debt.  In the mean time it 
makes for GREAT family dinner table discussion.    
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive