Subject: Re: [Fot] TR-4 / TR-6 tranny layshaft bearing mod

From: "Enquiries Road & Track" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 06:51:14 +1000

the layshaft can be very easily set up in a 4 jaw chuck. you use an old
spacer ring which you cut a slot along so it will squash. slide that spacer
sleeve over the "spline" and tighten. centre it using the 4 jaw chuck ,
clocking off the inside of the bearing hole with a lever arm type dial
indicator, and checking that against the 1st gear teeth

if you dont have a tool post grinder, you can mount a Dremel tool in the
tool-post and it will work OK provided you are patient.

deepening the gear to add a second bearing is a bit harder with a dremel.
you really need a very stiff boring bar and special tool tip for hard
metals. the"secret" is very fast speed and lots of coolant. then they
machine out OK.

i have seen a few of these break when they are deepened and use in race
applications. they break at the end of the 2nd bearing which is usually
right where the oiling groove and drip hole are on the factory gear.

with any of these, bevel out the oiling hole so its not sharp-edged

Terry

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of image002.jpg]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive