Subject: Re: [Fot] GT6 Crankshaft

From: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 16:02:10 -0500

So, you want me to tell you what's in my car so you can come out and beat me
next time?

Carillo rods
Venolia pistons
stock crank, balanced with all rotating assemblies and nitrided
stock block and main bearing caps
external oiling system to each main bearing a la Steve Smith and others, but
none of the extra drilling of the crank oil passages.
TR6 oil pump, stock.
Aluminum flywheel with steel wear surface sourced from TSI years ago, with
steel inserts added at the bolt holes.  crank and flywheel drilled for an
extra dowel pin.
12:1 compression (not much head left to machine)
Valves and cam from Wishbone Classics- Valves have a very slender profile for
good flow.
Hardened seats, bronze guides, ported head (Wishbone Classics)
Crank balancer - supposedly adapted from a Ford 6 cylinder truck damper by one
of the major damper companies - I have the shop drawing somewhere if you want
it.

Revs freely to 7,000 and beyond.  I take it there pretty much every shift,
every lap.
Dyno claims 178 HP - not sure I believe the dyno, but it's probably close,
though it's a pretty steep slope on the chart to get there, i.e., a lot less
power at 4,000 rpm.
I'm generally at 60-70 PSI oil pressure at speed and 40 at idle, hot.  Keep
the bearing clearances tight.

If you do all this you need to give up on the stock pressure plate and most
importantly on the stock transmission.  TR6 trans conversion has been trouble
free for me.

Lastly, this is probably a good time to upgrade the ignition, if you haven't
already - I like the Advanced Distributor stuff.

If you want to make an extra set of the rear hub bits I might be interested,
and there's a guy who broke both of his (stock) hubs at Watkins Glen this fall
who definitely will be.

You should get Kas' (3rd?) book, which has as the last chapter a full write-up
on the development of Chuck Gee's car.  Some good info there.

Have fun this winter!  I guess I better work on some new headers this winter
and a few other things to up my game for next year.  See you at the track -
rematch at Watkins Glen?

Scott Janzen

On Nov 11, 2013, at 2:34 PM, Jeff Clark wrote:

This question is for the the Gt6 crowd .We have decided that after Road
America and seeing what a Gt6 race car is capable of this winter along with
rebuilding the rear hubs using Datsun bits we are going to build another
engine. What is eveyone using for the bottem end ,pistons,rods
crank,flywheel?
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jeff Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 17:02:40 -0500

Thanks Scott and I don't want to beat you but I sure would like to race with
you, next year Watkind Glen is a strong possibility
 Jeff

Subject: Re: [Fot] GT6 Crankshaft
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 16:02:10 -0500
CC: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

Carillo rods
Venolia pistons

Scott Janzen

---

From: "Barr, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 22:09:40 +0000

<< I don't want to beat you >>

Someone's pants are on fire  ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Jeff Clark
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2013 4:03 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] GT6 Crankshaft

Thanks Scott and I don't want to beat you but I sure would like to race with
you, next year Watkind Glen is a strong possibility  Jeff

Carillo rods
Venolia pistons
stock crank, balanced with all rotating assemblies and nitrided stock block
and main bearing caps external oiling system to each main bearing a la Steve
Smith and others, but none of the extra drilling of the crank oil passages.
TR6 oil pump, stock.
Aluminum flywheel with steel wear surface sourced from TSI years ago, with
steel inserts added at the bolt holes.  crank and flywheel drilled for an
extra dowel pin.
12:1 compression (not much head left to machine) Valves and cam from Wishbone
Classics- Valves have a very slender profile for good flow.
Hardened seats, bronze guides, ported head (Wishbone Classics) Crank balancer
- supposedly adapted from a Ford 6 cylinder truck damper by one of the major
damper companies - I have the shop drawing somewhere if you want it.

Scott Janzen

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 17:30:21 -0500

just kidding - any time there are more GT6s on the track it's a good thing.
and, if you guys have any interest in fabricating more rear axle set-ups I
suspect there would be a few customers!

On Nov 11, 2013, at 5:02 PM, Jeff Clark wrote:

Carillo rods
Venolia pistons

Scott Janzen

---

From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 17:55:24 -0500

No mas pantalonies!

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 11, 2013, at 5:09 PM, "Barr, Scott" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: TR4 Tony <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 08:12:01 +0000

Brilliant !

Sent from my iPhone

> On 11 Nov 2013, at 22:55, John Hasty <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> No mas pantalonies!
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]