Subject: Re: [Fot] engaging/disengaging the overdrive?

From: "john hasty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 12:03:24 -0500

Keep it flat on upshift
Lift on downshift
Once in OD you can shift through the gears if you want to or with a little
practice you can go into or out of OD between shifts. 
The only place I used OD at Summit Point was on the front straight with a
4:5 rear end.

John H. Hasty
Attorney At Law
Guthrie, Davis, Henderson & Staton, P.L.L.C.
719 East Boulevard
Charlotte, North Carolina 28203-5113
Tele: (704) 372-5600
Fax: (704) 372-4601
E-mail: [email-masked]
www.gdhs.com
 
PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message (and any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that
is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL, and/or may contain ATTORNEY WORK PRODUCT.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message
and its attachments and notify us immediately.  Thank you.
 
IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE:  In order to comply with certain IRS regulations
regarding tax advice, we inform you that, unless expressly stated otherwise,
any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments)
is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for purposes of
(i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting,
marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter
addressed herein.
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Scott Janzen
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2013 11:54 AM
To: 'Friends of Triumph' Triumph
Subject: [Fot] engaging/disengaging the overdrive?

all this talk about overdrives made me realize I don't know the proper way
to use one - I am taking the TR4 to the Turkey Bowl at Summit Point this
weekend (supposed to be dry but cold) and this year, the overdrive is
working - last year it wasn't (loose connection - easy fix).  So, it's the
first time I've actually driven a car with overdrive, as none of my previous
LBCs or BBCs have had one.

Do I:
- keep my foot to the floor on the upshift
- momentarily lift
and on the downshift:
 - keep the revs up
 - turn the OD off at the same time as downshifting for the turn while the
clutch is depressed?

I'm assuming I can stay in OD and shift between 3rd and 4th normally?

I'm looking for both the "preserve the unit" answer and the "what can I get
away with and for how long" during racing answer.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 12:05:10 -0500

thanks - I have the 4.5 rear - agree that elsewhere the gears were "ok" -
don't have a close ratio box and would prefer a taller second gear for the
carousel.

On Nov 25, 2013, at 12:03 PM, john hasty wrote:

Keep it flat on upshift
Lift on downshift

John H. Hasty
Attorney At Law

-----Original Message-----

Do I:

---

From: "Chuck Arnold and/or Kathleen Kelley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 09:06:18 -0800

Scott,
I keep it floored when up shifting.  I shift the gears down before
disengaging as I can better keep from over reving.

Did not have OD at K Cup as that tranny had died.
On Nov 25, 2013 8:54 AM, "Scott Janzen" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> to
> use one - I am taking the TR4 to the Turkey Bowl at Summit Point this
> weekend
> (supposed to be dry but cold) and this year, the overdrive is working -
> last
> year it wasn't (loose connection - easy fix).  So, it's the first time I've
> actually driven a car with overdrive, as none of my previous LBCs or BBCs
> have
> had one.
>
> Do I:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 11:57:03 -0600

I give a very brief lift when upshifting unless I don't.  :)  Like at 
the start of the race I keep my foot flat, but later when I'm not 
side by side with someone I'll give it a brief lift.  Shifting out of 
OD is normally done under braking.  You can leave it OD when shifting 
from 3rd to 4th, but I'd almost always go from 3OD to 4 then to 4OD 
to keep the revs up.  On the downshift, sometimes I'll leave it in OD 
- like go from 4th OD to 3rd OD because the corner wants that ratio.

Cheers, Tony

At 10:53 AM 11/25/2013, Scott Janzen wrote:
>all this talk about overdrives made me realize I don't know the proper way to
>use one - I am taking the TR4 to the Turkey Bowl at Summit Point this weekend
>(supposed to be dry but cold) and this year, the overdrive is working - last
>actually driven a car with overdrive, as none of my previous LBCs or BBCs have
>had one.
>
>Do I:
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Robert Deanes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 13:26:48 -0500

I do the same as Tony and have been running my drive since 2007 with no
problems, I  will probably have an issue now, I use the rpms and the OD to
keep the power going...love it.

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Tony Drews <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I give a very brief lift when upshifting unless I don't.  :)  Like at the
> start of the race I keep my foot flat, but later when I'm not side by side
> with someone I'll give it a brief lift.  Shifting out of OD is normally
> done under braking.  You can leave it OD when shifting from 3rd to 4th, but
> I'd almost always go from 3OD to 4 then to 4OD to keep the revs up.  On the
> downshift, sometimes I'll leave it in OD - like go from 4th OD to 3rd OD
> because the corner wants that ratio.
>
> Cheers, Tony
>
>
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/
>> options/fot/[email-masked]
>>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/
> options/fot/[email-masked]
>
>
>

-- 
rob deanes
TR Racer