Subject: Re: [Fot] Lap timing devices

From: Bobby Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 14:35:50 -0800 (PST)

there is an app for that on my iPhone ... Speed Tracker.... just mount in your car to watch ... Bobby

________________________________
 From: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
To: 'Friends of Triumph' Triumph <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Friday, November 8, 2013 3:11 PM
Subject: [Fot] Lap timing devices

I'm looking for a cheap, easy way to get some lap times - excluding a
stopwatch, as that requires someone trackside to use it.

All the name brands seem to cost several hundred bucks - too much for my
purposes.

Anyone have any experience with the cheap infrared ones that are $60 or less,
like Bestlap on Ebay?

Alternately, how about Harry's lap timer for the iPhone?
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bill Babcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 13:35:11 -1000

Speedtracker does a lot more than replace a watch. It replaces a data
collection system I spent a thousand bucks on and syncs video from the iPhone
camera at the same time. Works REALLY well.
On Nov 8, 2013, at 12:35 PM, Bobby Whitehead <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: christopher bock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 16:09:53 -0800

My friend uses QStarz.  It is a GPS type of data collector.  He uses it with
some software to merge it with video.

Sincerely,
Chris Bock
SeaCubeCo.com
609-319-4322

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 19:23:53 -0500

Gee, don't your sanction bodies furnish time sheets after each session?

Sent from my iPhone

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Duncan Charlton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 21:12:57 -0600

I have Harry's lap timer but I can't work out a way to use it in my race car.
There's enough to do on the grid that I don't want to fool with it, so I've
tried to start it before I drive to the grid -- but there never is any data on
it when I check it after the session.  If you can mount it and remember to
start it (or even better, have an assistant deal with it) it ought to give you
plenty of information including your speed through various segments of a
track.

Duncan

> Alternately, how about Harry's lap timer for the iPhone?
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 00:33:11 +0000

Seeing a fast time AS you pass a timing strip has more merit. You know IMMEDIATLY if what you just did worked. Lots of ways to do it... Good thread.
Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
To: Bill Babcock<[email-masked]>
Cc: Scott Janzen<[email-masked]>; FoT Triumph<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Lap timing devices

Sent from my iPhone

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 01:32:05 +0000

Back when I was (even crazier) and racing go-karts... (Very seriously)
In the pre digital era. 
I had as many as 3 stop watches mounted on the kart. I used them constantly. Measuring; Gaps, lap times, times of me vs. Competitors from point to point. Times from point to point tell great secrets!
NFI in vintage stop watches.
Actually, that's not true.
I collect vintage stop watches. 
And sell antiques and cool vintage what-nots to support my family and my racing addiction.
Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
To: Bill Babcock<[email-masked]>
Cc: Scott Janzen<[email-masked]>; FoT Triumph<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Lap timing devices

Sent from my iPhone

---

From: Bill Babcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 10:08:40 -1000

On Nov 10, 2013, at 10:06 AM, Bill Babcock <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  know that lots of folks believe in seat of the pants and seeing what
everyone is doing around them. Unfortunately most human seat of the pants
measurements have a deadband of about 10 percent, which makes it fundamentally
worthless. If you want to improve you need some good dataas good as you can
get. If you dont care, then you dont.
>
> People tend to try to improve everywhere at once, while getting corner data
helps you improve one corner at a time.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 10:26:43 -0500

Wow, some of these iPhone apps are amazing, especially when sync'd with the
video.  Cheap, too.  I just have to figure out a secure way to mount one in an
open car with no windshield, where i can see the timing data on the screen
while I'm driving.

think I'm going to go with Harry's lap timer - gives lap times, point speeds,
comparisons to benchmark laps, records estimated RPM (based on vehicle data),
has track data already in the software for virtually every track, and much
more.  I'll report back after I use it at Summit Point in a few weeks.
http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html

On Nov 8, 2013, at 6:35 PM, Bill Babcock wrote:

---

From: Bill Babcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 06:26:56 -1000

I bought a hard case that holds my iPhone and uses the GoPro mounts (as well
as a tripod mount). The GoPro mount opens the door to all kinds of amounting
schemes, Unfortunately it wont hold my phone when its in a lifeproof case,
so I dont use it as often as I otherwise would.

Trackaddict is pretty amazing. Does a better job of indicating braking points
and corner speeds than my thousand buck pain in the butt system ever did.

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]