Subject: Re: [Fot] Exhaust Header

From: "Van Mulders Marcel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 11:04:12 +0100

Very interesting observations!
Maybe the numbers you found to work best are not valid for every 4 cyl TR
race engine, but it's interesting that you found that 1.5" ID of the
primaries gave the best results. Do you know wat chokes (venturi's) were
mounted in the Webers 45?
My engine dyno ,a STUSKA Trackmaster with Power Pro software, will be ready
in a month or so. I bought a Stahl header with 1.625 ID primaries. Wondering
what results I'll get when comparing my actual exhaust with 1.5"ID
primaries(I tried 34" and 40" lengths) and 2 1/4" tailpipe, with the Stahl
header. It will take some time, but I'll post the results at this place.
Marcel Van Mulders

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Verzonden: dinsdag 5 november 2013 10:10
Aan: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]
Onderwerp: RE: Re: [Fot] Exhaust Header

After extensive dyno testing, we found that 4 into 1 headers with 1.5"
Inside diameter primary pipes 33 inches long going into a "merge collector"
with a "piramid" spike at the junction of the primary pipes joining into a
tailpipe 2.125" inside diameter that is 72" long to the open end is the
optimum header configuration for a full race 2200 cc TR-4 race engine with
45 mm Weber DCOE carburators. For an engine that really makes over 180 hp at
the flywheel, primary pipes 1.625" inside diameter may be benificial at
engine speeds over 5,000 rpm. We have found that a Megaphone that is 18"
long tapering from 2.125" I.D. to 2.5" I.D. boosts power and torque
throughout the entire power band, but especially just as the engine comes
"on the cam" and up the the torque peak. The megaphone takes the place of
the last 18" of the tailpipe. Shorter or longer primaries or tailpipe hurts
the power and torque. 
   We tried longer and shorter primaries and longer and shorter tailpipes.
We built 1.5" inside diameter primaries and 1.625" inside diameter primaries
adjustable in 3" increments from 26" long to 54" long and tried every one of
them. 33 INCHES IS THE CORRECT LENGTH! The same it true of the tailpipe. We
tried 2"
I.D., up to 3" I.D. in many different lengths. 2.125"
I.D. X 72" long is what works best. 

Greg Solow
The Engine Room
Sports Car Specialists
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
831 429-1800

------- Original Message -------
>From    : [email-masked][mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent    : 10/30/2013 11:31:40 AM
To      : [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Cc      : [email-masked]
Subject : RE: Re: [Fot] Exhaust Header

 In a message dated 10/30/2013 12:26:05 PM Central Standard Time,
[email-masked] writes:

> Steve, your headers are also a lot wider (diameter)
than mine. Bigger is 
> not
> always better and many tend to fit too wide exhaust
pipes, but maybe 38mm 
> (1
> 1/2") is definitely too small on a race car, I'll
found out before next
> racing season.

Amici...

More than a few FOTers have worked on a 'tuned
exhaust'.  

I know Uncle Jack did.  And in particular, Greg at
the Engine Room.  He 
told me the exhaust pipe length can be a critical
issue too, at least with the 
headers he's developed for his Morgan applications. 
Maybe he'll chime in.

Bill Dentinger
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

 http://www.fot-racing.com 

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive 
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "john hasty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 10:09:45 -0500

Very interesting.  Our Stahl header primary tubes measure 32 1/2" to the
collector and I would assume that about another 1/2" extends into the
collector.  Our tail pipe is right at 72" but 2.5" ID going from round to an
oval or flat shape at the end in front of the right rear wheel.  But we use
1.75 HS6 SU's....going to 2" HS8 SU's next year..... 

John H. Hasty
Attorney At Law
Guthrie, Davis, Henderson & Staton, P.L.L.C.
719 East Boulevard
Charlotte, North Carolina 28203-5113
Tele: (704) 372-5600
Fax: (704) 372-4601
E-mail: [email-masked]
www.gdhs.com
 
PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message (and any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that
is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL, and/or may contain ATTORNEY WORK PRODUCT.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message
and its attachments and notify us immediately.  Thank you.
 
IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE:  In order to comply with certain IRS regulations
regarding tax advice, we inform you that, unless expressly stated otherwise,
any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments)
is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for purposes of
(i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting,
marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter
addressed herein.
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Van Mulders Marcel
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 5:04 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] Exhaust Header

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Verzonden: dinsdag 5 november 2013 10:10
Aan: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]

Greg Solow
The Engine Room
Sports Car Specialists
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
831 429-1800

------- Original Message -------

than mine. Bigger is 
pipes, but maybe 38mm 
found out before next

Amici...

More than a few FOTers have worked on a 'tuned exhaust'.  

I know Uncle Jack did.  And in particular, Greg at the Engine Room.  He told
me the exhaust pipe length can be a critical issue too, at least with the
headers he's developed for his Morgan applications. 
Maybe he'll chime in.

Bill Dentinger

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]