Subject: Re: [Fot] Hans Device

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 16:31:18 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 10/14/2013 2:51:04 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> If you still are on the fence regarding the purchase of a HANS, or 
> similar
> device, read Sam Smith's column in Road and Track November, 2013 issue 
> (pg.
> 32).  Racing is a calculated risk, make sure the numbers are in your favor
> as much as possible.  Enough said.
> 

Amici...

I too read that article, and I sure agree it is hard to argue against the 
need to wear a HANS (or similar) when racing.  Why not increase the odds 
against serious injury or death.  Why not take every precaution you can?  Why 
not indeed?  It is foolish not to, and articles like the one Sam Smith wrote 
in the current issue of ROAD & TRACK will help racers come to that 
conclusion.

But in fact, that HANS device is no cart blanch waiver for avoiding injury. 
 From what I understand, it would not have prevented serious injury in what 
happened at Blackhawk last June.  I was not there, but I understand that 
the driver's head was struck by the wheel of another race car.  I am NOT 
speaking against the importance of wearing a head and neck restraint, I am just 
not sure it would have been a fix in that Formula Vee race at Blackhawk.  But 
I understand why it caused Sam Smith to quickly question his own safety 
equipment habits.

Racing is dangerous.  Fangio said that he considered he was taking his life 
in his hand every time he took to the track.  But that was NOT his greatest 
fear.  He feared causing an incident where another would be injured or 
killed.  I kind of share that feeling.  Sure I don't want to be injured myself, 
but I think I would have an even bigger problem having been involved in an 
incident I caused, where someone else was injured.  I stopped deer hunting 
not because I was afraid of getting shot, but because I worried about shooting 
someone else by accident (that happens every year here in Wisconsin).

I think...especially in vintage/historic racing, just as important as the 
need for arm restraints, head & neck restraints, seat belts, roll cages, fire 
extinguisher, etc., etc., is the need for a good, proper 'Vintage 
attitude'.  Because of the huge disparity in equipment and talent in our sport's race 
grids, there is no room for 10/10ths (or worse 11/10ths) racing.  

Wear a HANS (or similar), but also have a good vintage racing attitude.

Bill Dentinger      
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive