Subject: Re: [Fot] Weathers Big TR Front Axles

From: "Robert M. Lang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 08:14:56 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

Due to (blah blah blah blah) finally getting around to installing my 
Weathers axles. I have on hand both the 2004 set and a set of the newer 
ones that Uncle Jack had made up.

I recall that there was an "issue" with the elastic stop nuts provided in 
the Weathers kit and used to secure the stub axle to the vertical link and 
that was that the nuts are too tall hence the elastic stop ring doesn't 
contact the threads on the stub axle. I assembled everything and observed 
it to be the case.

The question is: for folks running the original stub axles - did you 
replace the elastic stop nut with a regular grade 8 nut and washer or did 
you just Loctite the provided nut? Conversely, the Uncle Jack kit uses a 
regular fine thread grade 8 nut and washer and it looks like the threaded 
portion is a "skosh" longer than the original Weathers axles. If you're 
running the later setup, did you switch to an elastic stop nut or did you 
install the grade 8 nut/washer and red Loctite as suggested in the 
installation instructions.

I think I know the answers, but I wanted to toss this out there just for 
the heck of it.

On a similar vein - the Weathers kit D washer for the outer bearing seems 
a little small compared to the stock D washer and the one in the Uncle 
Jack kit - has anyone had any "issues" with it? I (again) suspect "no", 
but I wanted to hear any discussion.

And, yes, I'm a bit behind on my projects.

:-)

rml
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 09:58:51 -0500

I know a little about this one... :)  For the kits where the elastic 
stop ring doesn't have enough grip on the threads, you can just 
loktite the original nut, no need to replace it.  For the kits where 
there ARE enough threads to engage the elastic, no loktite is needed 
if using a nut with the elastic stop ring, if using a non-stop ring 
nut, loktite it.

The D washers from the original Weathers axles and the ones from the 
latest Uncle Jack axles aren't interchangeable, most likely.  The 
Weathers kit D washer worked OK for most folks - the issues folks had 
with those were what I'd consider minor, and were related to high 
torque values and frequent "messing with", I believe.

There were a few design changes through the various production runs.
The threaded portion on the inner end of the axle was made longer to 
better engage the elastic stop ring.
The D groove on the outer end of the axle was made deeper and larger, 
thicker D washers were included due to some reports of the D washer 
twisting enough to engage the threads somewhat and being hard to remove.
Most recently the D washer material was changed to hardened steel to 
improve longevity.

I certainly won't be offended if others chime in with their 
experience, good or bad.

Cheers, Tony Drews

At 07:14 AM 10/25/2013, Robert M. Lang wrote:
>Weathers axles. I have on hand both the 2004 set and a set of the 
>newer ones that Uncle Jack had made up.
>
>I recall that there was an "issue" with the elastic stop nuts 
>provided in the Weathers kit and used to secure the stub axle to the 
>vertical link and that was that the nuts are too tall hence the 
>elastic stop ring doesn't contact the threads on the stub axle. I 
>assembled everything and observed it to be the case.
>
>replace the elastic stop nut with a regular grade 8 nut and washer 
>or did you just Loctite the provided nut? Conversely, the Uncle Jack 
>kit uses a regular fine thread grade 8 nut and washer and it looks 
>like the threaded portion is a "skosh" longer than the original 
>Weathers axles. If you're running the later setup, did you switch to 
>an elastic stop nut or did you install the grade 8 nut/washer and 
>red Loctite as suggested in the installation instructions.
>
>I think I know the answers, but I wanted to toss this out there just 
>for the heck of it.
>
>On a similar vein - the Weathers kit D washer for the outer bearing 
>seems a little small compared to the stock D washer and the one in 
>the Uncle Jack kit - has anyone had any "issues" with it? I (again) 
>suspect "no", but I wanted to hear any discussion.
>
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]