Subject: [Fot] Shocks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 17:39:09 -0400 (EDT)

Amici,

This weekend after an autocross event a fellow participant came to me with
some concerning information about my car.  He told me that while working a
corner on course  he noticed that as a went by my right front wheel would
shake just as the wheel became unloaded in the turn.  He advised to check it
out but asked if I had noticed any vibration or wobble in the steering.  I
replied I hadn't noticed.  I did a quick check as the car was up on the
trailer and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.  On Sunday upon closer
inspection as the car was jacked up I found a problem, the shock absorber was
broken.  There is no piston rod showing out of the body of the shock and the
plastic dust cover was all crumpled.

So I have a question ... has anyone ever had a shock break like this and/or is
this just prone to one brand?  These are Spax with the adjustable spring
perch.  Also these are not that old as I believe I bought them from Ted.
Maybe my mistake is this is an item that needs to be changed more frequently
on race cars ?

Cheers,
Bob T
'64 Spit GT

PS   no I have not crashed the car or bump anything to be a cause for the
failure.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive