Subject: Re: [Fot] A type O.D.

From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 21:19:55 -0400

Randall, while all this tech talk is way over my head, I can attest to the
fact that after 3 years and 18 races what ever size washer Larry used, it
works just fine.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 2, 2013, at 6:57 PM, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ---- Larry Young <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I checked
>> several manuals (but not the TR4 workshop manual) when we wrote the
>> articles. There were often discrepancies between different sources.
>
> I agree.  But I believe that part of those discrepancies are that the OD
operating pressure was customized for every car/engine (and of course for
IRS).  Some people seem to feel that it should be the same for all cars, but
the factory didn't see it that way.  For example, the original A-type service
manual (from Triumph, PN 502274) specifically gives different values for the
TR2 and the Vanguard/Renown.  Service bulletin T-64-3 quotes a range of from
360 psi to 520 psi for the A-type (presumably large accumulator since I don't
think any Triumphs had IRS in 1963).  And the TR6 workshop calls for 410-430;
while the Stag workshop calls for 480-500 (both small accumulator A-type).
>
>> Since the inner
>> spring doesn't do much, I may have used a small accumulator spring as
>> the inner spring
>
> That's an interesting thought.  I didn't think it would fit, but I may not
have checked it.
>
>> or used a plug to shim the inner spring more than the
>> outer spring.
>
> That's what I did (after taking out one of the shims on the main spring),
but it still didn't do much.  ISTR a 3/4" plug only raised the pressure about
30 psi.  I assume the main function of the inner spring is to reduce resonance
effects.
>
> Randall
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive