Subject: Re: [Fot] Electric connections

From: Edward Dunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 12:19:18 -0700

I typically use waterproof (marine) heat shrink, crimp connectors.

Edward Dunn

West Coast Vintage Racing
2240 Encinitas Blvd., Suite D101
Encinitas CA 92024

760-492-3814
www.vintageracing.us

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Christopher Bock
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 12:13 PM
To: FoTTriumph
Subject: [Fot] Electric connections

Amici

What is the best practice for electric connections, crimp or solder?

Chris
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 14:24:01 -0500

I solder anything I can.  I usually run some heat shrink tubing over 
the joint between the connector and the wire after soldering.  I make 
an effort to minimize the number of connections / connectors 
too.  Every connection is a possible point of failure.

Tony Drews

At 02:13 PM 8/7/2013, Christopher Bock wrote:
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Robert Deanes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 15:43:40 -0400

I use Edward's idea but use the crimpers that don't break the plastic
seal...these have worked great for many years in our tough marine
enviroment ....salt water and a rough seas...TR never sees this ...I hope !
Both ways are good.

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Tony Drews <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I solder anything I can.  I usually run some heat shrink tubing over the
> joint between the connector and the wire after soldering.  I make an effort
> to minimize the number of connections / connectors too.  Every connection
> is a possible point of failure.
>
> Tony Drews
>
>
>> ______________________________**_________________
>> [email-masked]
>>
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
>> options/fot/[email-masked]<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]>
>>
> ______________________________**_________________
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/fot/[email-masked]<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]>
>
>
>

-- 
rob deanes
TR Racer

---

From: Bob Bownes -Seiri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 15:51:53 -0400

I follow the NASA guidelines and crimp everything with the proper size
connectors and crimp tool, then put heat shrink on, then fasten down the wire
with adell clamps or other suitable devices every 6-8". Not a single
electrical related failure ever except when I skipped one or more of the
steps. But that was a rain light. :)

> I solder anything I can.  I usually run some heat shrink tubing over the
joint between the connector and the wire after soldering.  I make an effort to
minimize the number of connections / connectors too.  Every connection is a
possible point of failure.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Tim Murphy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 15:05:58 -0500

If there is flexing of the wire near the connection I think a crimp is
better due to the solder connection making the wire very stiff at the
connection and the flexing will tend to break the wire at that point.  The
key to a good crimp connection is to use a good "industrial" crimper, not
the one typically found on a wire strippers.  FWIW

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Christopher Bock
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 2:13 PM
To: FoTTriumph
Subject: [Fot] Electric connections

Amici

Chris

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Bill Tobin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 16:08:48 -0400

I've had good results with crimping.
HOWEVER, don't source your connectors from China Freight. Buy quality 
connectors from an electronics store. And use a good crimper. Mine's made by 
Channellock, 15 miles down the road in Meadville. I actually broke a pair of 
cheapo's a few years back while crimping a connector. And pinched my finger 
doing it!
Also use heat shrink tubing. It's a tube, cut to your needed lenght,  you 
install over the connector (leave an inch or so beyond the connector, on the 
wire) and heat it with a heat gun. It shrinks over the connector and wire 
and protects the connector and wire. Acts as a strain relief. Heat shrink 
comes in different sizes and colors so you can color code if you want. It's 
available at most part stores. Or McMaster-Carr.
Some guys swear by soldering, but I've not had a failure with crimped 
connections. Also, like welding, there's a technique to soldering that not 
everybody masters.
Cheers, Bill

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Christopher Bock" <[email-masked]>
To: "FoTTriumph" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 3:13 PM
Subject: [Fot] Electric connections

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 14:19:28 -0600

Tony Drews wrote:
> the joint between the connector and the wire after soldering.

For connections that won't allow heat shrink tubing, I usually use the 
liquid electrical tape,
as they call it.   Well, I did forget once when hooking up a single wire 
alternator on Killer
right before a race.  That was the one where the wire came loose and did 
an electric
discharge machining job on my front brake line.  Festive!

mjb.

---

From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 16:51:58 -0400

Solder

Sent from my iPhone

> What is the best practice for electric connections, crimp or solder?
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Bownes -Seiri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 18:17:07 -0400

The key to avoiding failure is keeping the wires from vibrating at the
terminal wire junction.

---

From: Duncan Charlton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 14:50:21 -0500

Chris,

People who have built homebuilt aircraft can get pretty particular about
making failure-resistant electrical connections.  One local homebuilder was a
regular writer for the EAA magazine.  He suggested 1) use military-spec wire
or similar (more strands in each conductor and the insulation was Tefzel or
Teflon, ie: fire resistant), 2) strip the wire back using a stripper that cuts
the insulation at a bevel, 3) "tin" the wire using solder before assembly,
making sure the solder wicks up under the insulation (not easy to do with PVC
insulation), 4) insert and crimp (with proper crimp tool), 5) touch with the
soldering iron to close up the gaps between the terminal and the conductor,
and 6) add heat-shrink tubing for strain relief.  Several of these steps allow
the strain to be spread more evenly rather than allowing all the flex to occur
where the conductor enters the crimp.

Duncan
(Texas)

---

From: Home Consolidated <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 21:18:32 -0500

I watched / helped Dan Masters install the prototype of what became Advanced
Wire's TR3 harness.  This is exactly the procedure he suggested. (I do not
recall the part about beveling the insulation, but it makes sense). In 11
years and about 80k miles, I have yet to have a failure ( which, of course
insures a failure soon :-) )

Ken Gano

Sent from my iPad

>> What is the best practice for electric connections, crimp or solder?
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]