Subject: [Fot] FW: Lil needle help please

From: marty sukey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 22:10:25 -0400

let me clarify, they were WAY rich at low RPM after I was adjusting, enough so
that it would barley run below 3k, they leaned out at the upper end.

Marty

----------------------------------------
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 22:00:12 -0400
> Subject: [Fot] Lil needle help please
>
> 1296 spitfire. O.S. intake valves. 11.1 CR. Isky cam, don't know the spec
off
> the top my head. Last year I purchased a set the European Spec 1-1/2 S.U.'s
to
> replace the 1-1/4's. I have been struggling getting them to run properly. I
> took the car to a dyno tonight to try and dial them in. No matter how much
I
> dropped the jets I could not get them to richen up enough with the rear
much
> leaner than the front. Best I could get was around 14.5 front and 17 rear.
> Obviously I need a different profile. I have ADN needles in there now that
> came with the carbs. I know there were both the same as I had looked at
them
> previously so it made no sense why the rear was so much leaner than the
front.
> When I got home I pulled them back out and happened to lay them side by
side.
> Ding ding ding looks like somebody had re-profiled the front needle. it was
> about .030 smaller than the rear. that explains the difference in A/F
> readings. Obviously I need to get new needles prior to leaving for R.A. on
> Tuesday. I'll call Joe C. first thing in the morning and see if he can
> overnight some out to me. I need some suggestions to try. What are you
folks
> running in your HS4's on the Spitfires. Any recommendations would be
> appreciated.
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Barr, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 12:06:42 +0000

I have run a bunch of different needles at different times.  But the four sets
I recall are BE, BG, CC and 4.  This is 1296 or 1500 Spitfire, HS4s, Isky
Z-307 cam, approx. 12:1 compression.

Seems to me the BE and BG needles were too rich.  I don't even recall at the
moment which needles I'm running, but I think it's either the CC or the 4
needles.  My A/F meter says I'm a little lean at 14.5 or so.  Have been slowly
running the jets down to try to richen it, but I'm also fouling plugs at cold
startup.

Maybe I should be thinking harder about this issue  :-)

(I would if I could get my stupid transmission stuff figured out...)

Scott B.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of marty sukey
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2013 9:00 PM
To: FOT
Subject: [Fot] Lil needle help please

1296 spitfire. O.S. intake valves. 11.1 CR. Isky cam, don't know the spec off
the top my head. Last year I purchased a set the European Spec 1-1/2 S.U.'s to
replace the 1-1/4's. I have been struggling getting them to run properly. I
took the car to a dyno tonight to try and dial them in. No matter how much I
dropped the jets I could not get them to richen up enough with the rear much
leaner than the front. Best I could get was around 14.5 front and 17 rear.
Obviously I need a different profile. I have ADN needles in there now that
came with the carbs. I know there were both the same as I had looked at them
previously so it made no sense why the rear was so much leaner than the
front.
When I got home I pulled them back out and happened to lay them side by side.
Ding ding ding looks like somebody had re-profiled the front needle. it was
about .030 smaller than the rear. that explains the difference in A/F
readings. Obviously I need to get new needles prior to leaving for R.A. on
Tuesday. I'll call Joe C. first thing in the morning and see if he can
overnight some out to me. I need some suggestions to try. What are you folks
running in your HS4's on the Spitfires. Any recommendations would be
appreciated.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]