Subject: Re: [Fot] Shocks

From: George Harmuth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 11:19:12 -0400 ZX853FP2HF5|February, 2013) at 08/20/2013 11:19:19

I had a SPAX shock break like that and didn't notice it during the entire
weekend at the K-Cup at the Glen a few years ago. I had let my crew drive
the car during a track day the week before at Pocono and there was some off
road action that I'm sure was the cause. It wasn't visible until I jacked
the car way up, a week after the Glen, to bleed the brakes. The plastic
boot was keeping the shock centered in the tower so I had compression but
no rebound dampening, the gas in the shock must have kept the shock
extended. The car actually ran well, I got the hard charger award from
Optimum batterys for passing the most cars during the race.

mike

G. Michael Harmuth
Software Engineer
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]> us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 11:15:41 -0500

I will say that shocks normally last longer than that.  In my case, 
I've still got the stops that prevent the wheel from drooping too 
much in place, so the shock is not what performs that action - that 
may help, but in Jack's car he didn't have those (unnecessary weight, 
you know...) and his front shocks were never replaced.

Tony Drews

---

From: "Robert M. Lang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 09:30:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I was going to say that if a shock breaks, it's either that it bottomed 
(compression or rebound) or there's a material defect. Simple as that.

If you replace the part with the same item, take the time to run the 
suspension through the full range of motion with the spring removed. THERE 
SHOULD BE NO BINDING ANYWHERE.

Regards,
rml
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]