Subject: Re: [Fot] HANS

From: "Spitfire Racing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 09:55:09 -0400

My HANS saved my life a few years ago at Mosport. What most folks don't
realize is that in a rollover your body can experience well over 6Gs.
Without support serious injury is almost guaranteed. I am a firm believer.
One fellow once told me he would just hang onto the steering wheel......
this is impossible with the forces you may experience. One of the best
investments I ever made. Do your loved ones a favor folks.

Russ Moore
Spitfire #49

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Saturday, August 03, 2013 9:37 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] HANS

In a message dated 08/02/2013 10:52:58 PM Central Daylight Time,
[email-masked] writes:

> I ditto Tony's insight.  I have run the HANS both while driving the 
> Rabbit
> (with a roof) and the TR4.  I only notice it at pre-grid.  Never notice it

> is
> even on while on the track.  
> 

It's not unlike arm restraints, which were originally 'encouraged, but not 
mandatory in vintage racing her in the Midwest.  When VSCDA decided to make 
them mandatory, I was one of the balkers.  But then I watched a video 
Motorsports photographer, Gordon Jolley, had made showing a Sprite doing a
half 
dozen barrel rolls at the bottom of the hill at Road Atlanta (arm flailing
in 
the breeze).  I decided maybe arm restraints was a good idea.  And, of 
course, while they felt somewhat restrictive when I first put them on, they
were 
of no consequence whatsoever, once the green flag dropped.

It is the same with the HANS and similar.  And as difficult as it is to 
bring up and revisit it, Uncle Jack's fatal incident at GRATTAN is a classic

example.  As Tony said, had he been wearing a HANS device, in all
likelihood, 
he'd still be with us.

It's evolution, and you've got to pay attention.  Recently, my sister sent 
me a greeting card that had a picture of a 1930ish European Grand Prix 
starting grid.  All full of great, old formula racers.  The drivers had
helmets 
(sort of), and goggles, but no seat belts, roll bars, or other safety 
equipment.  Not only that, most had short sleeve shirts.  One was smoking.
We've 
evolved since then, and are still learning.

Bill Dentinger

PS One of the drivers, my money says he was British, clearly had a shirt 
and tie on underneath his short sleeved coveralls.  I love that.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bud R <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 14:52:37 -0600

I agree. My wife didn't complain a bit about buying that piece of, or  
any, safety equipment.

Bud Rolofson

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

On Aug 3, 2013, at 7:55 AM, Spitfire Racing wrote:

> Do your loved ones a favor folks.