Subject: Re: [Fot] Don't Pass Me in the Kink

From: Joe Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 09:53:28 -0500

I still have the very comprehensive DVD study of Kent's accident at the Kink.
Maybe we can review it at the KCup.

Kent handled the accident very well...in fact we left for California the very
next day in his TR4A.

He was stiff and had a very black eye emerging, but in very good humor.

The motorcycle guys have a "bus stop" turn in front of the Kink as a safety
feature for them. And those guys are fearless.

Joe A

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 6, 2013, at 9:30 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

> In a message dated 08/06/2013 6:48:49 AM Central Daylight Time,
> [email-masked] writes:
>
>
>> Dennis,
>>  I would like two, please.
>>  The response to your idea has been low.
>> Perhaps it is because our fellow racers are not familiar with Road
>> America's
>> "Kink". A fast bend in the track where a few people have died because they
>> misjudged the turn, or had cold tires in one instance I know of.
>> Ken Suhre
>
> Amici...
>
> I have been racing at Road America for thirty years.  Usually three events
> per year.  A couple of years I even ran four events there.  All of my
> experience has been 'vintage', and I have always felt that 'The Kink' should
be a
> continuous standing yellow.  The wide spread in experience, horsepower, and
> talent in vintage racing ought to bring sanctioning bodies to that
> conclusion.  But so far it has not.  At the Driver's Meetings, they all warn
you of
> the potential for great danger in The Kink, but they still will allow
> passing.  There are some experienced racers who are quite good at it.  Sadly
there
> are others who just 'think they are good at it'.  The big issue is when the
> passing car on the inside leaves no room for the car being passed at the
> exit.  The track is very, very narrow there, with concrete walls on both
sides.
> When accidents do occur there, the racecars become like so many billiard
> balls on a snooker table.
>
> In all likelihood, Dennis Delap's proposed bumper sticker is being offered
> with 'tongue in cheek', but it is highly appropriate.  Another idea would be
> for us to post a picture of Kent Howard's pretty red TR3A racecar flat
> towed back to the paddock after an ill advised pass by a Porsche 356 Coupe,
> whose driver 'ran out of talent in the kink.  It was rolled into a ball, and
a
> $20,000 racecar (today's market) became nearly worthless, except for a few
> parts.  I've got one of those pictures, if someone wants to post it.  In
fact,
> there was a video of that crash.  I do not know if that is still around.
>
> Were I the Grand Poo Bah of vintage racing, there would be no passing in
> The Kink at vintage racing events at Road America.  But, of course, not much
> chance of my being elected to that position any time soon.
>
> Bill (Damdinger)
>
> PS All of the above notwithstanding... driving THE KINK at Road America is
> a near 'sexual experience'.  That quote is from Bobby Rahal, describing Road
> America as one of the finest road racing circuit in the world.  Rahal says
> an IndyCar will take that turn 'flat out'...but EVERY time he would approach
> it, there was a subconscious urge to lift.  "Surely and IndyCar cannot take
> that turn Flat Out!"  But done correctly...they can and do.  Likewise, our
> cars can take the turn Flat Out, but believe me...it's a 'pucker point'.  If
> you have not raced Road America before...you will LOVE IT, but be careful.
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Henry Morrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 11:09:10 -0600

From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Fot] Don't Pass Me in the Kink
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 10:54:55 -0600

I could give a partial list of the race driver careers that I know have
ended at the Kink, but I'll spare you.  A couple of locals from Albuquerque
restored a Formula Ford a few years back and took it on its first outing to
Road America, and returned with it in a shoe box from a shunt at the Kink.

It's one of those corners that in my slow car doesn't seem like much, but I'm
probably lifting.

Have fun, behave in the Kink, fight down at Siebkens.

Cheers, Henry Morrison Albuquerque, NM

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 09:53:28 -0500
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Fot] Don't Pass Me in the Kink
>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]