Subject: Re: [Fot] HANS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 09:36:45 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 08/02/2013 10:52:58 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> I ditto Tony's insight.  I have run the HANS both while driving the 
> Rabbit
> (with a roof) and the TR4.  I only notice it at pre-grid.  Never notice it 
> is
> even on while on the track.  
> 

It's not unlike arm restraints, which were originally 'encouraged, but not 
mandatory in vintage racing her in the Midwest.  When VSCDA decided to make 
them mandatory, I was one of the balkers.  But then I watched a video 
Motorsports photographer, Gordon Jolley, had made showing a Sprite doing a half 
dozen barrel rolls at the bottom of the hill at Road Atlanta (arm flailing in 
the breeze).  I decided maybe arm restraints was a good idea.  And, of 
course, while they felt somewhat restrictive when I first put them on, they were 
of no consequence whatsoever, once the green flag dropped.

It is the same with the HANS and similar.  And as difficult as it is to 
bring up and revisit it, Uncle Jack's fatal incident at GRATTAN is a classic 
example.  As Tony said, had he been wearing a HANS device, in all likelihood, 
he'd still be with us.

It's evolution, and you've got to pay attention.  Recently, my sister sent 
me a greeting card that had a picture of a 1930ish European Grand Prix 
starting grid.  All full of great, old formula racers.  The drivers had helmets 
(sort of), and goggles, but no seat belts, roll bars, or other safety 
equipment.  Not only that, most had short sleeve shirts.  One was smoking.  We've 
evolved since then, and are still learning.

Bill Dentinger

PS One of the drivers, my money says he was British, clearly had a shirt 
and tie on underneath his short sleeved coveralls.  I love that.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive