Subject: [Fot] Fwd: 89MM head gaskets

From: Joe Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 14:47:05 -0500

Mark Macy of Macy's Garage is looking for a gasket for 89 mm conversion.

The Protrusion he mentions, I assume to be 3-4 thousandths.

What do you 89 mm racers use?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Mark Macy <[email-masked]>
> Date: August 29, 2013, 2:37:42 PM CDT
> To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: 89MM head gaskets
> Reply-To: Mark Macy <[email-masked]>
>
> Hi Joe:
>
> Mark Macy here.  I have a question which you might have an answer for.
>
> We're putting together our first 89mm engine, and I'm having difficulty
getting the head gasket to seal.  Have not fired the engine yet, but it keeps
leaking water into the oil from the head gasket.  Liners stand proud of the
block 3-4mm, and the head was resurfaced.  Have tried two of the Moss 89mm
head gaskets and my guess is that the steel rings around the cylinders are not
crushing enough to allow the thin "paper" gasket to seal the rest of the block
and head.  Is there a better gasket available, or am I missing something
different entirely?
> Cheers,
> Mark
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "MadMarx" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 22:43:28 +0200

I would say....3-4mm is way too much as this is 0.118"-0.157"
If this is just a point failure and the number is 0.04mm then you should be
okay.

I always use sealant with the head gasket Locktite 518 + a copper wire
around the sleeves.

Cheers
Chris

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im
Auftrag von Joe Alexander
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 29. August 2013 21:47
An: [email-masked]
Betreff: [Fot] Fwd: 89MM head gaskets

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad

> We're putting together our first 89mm engine, and I'm having
getting the head gasket to seal.  Have not fired the engine yet, but it
keeps leaking water into the oil from the head gasket.  Liners stand proud
of the block 3-4mm, and the head was resurfaced.  Have tried two of the Moss
89mm head gaskets and my guess is that the steel rings around the cylinders
are not crushing enough to allow the thin "paper" gasket to seal the rest of
the block and head.  Is there a better gasket available, or am I missing
something different entirely?

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 21:44:17 -0600

Standard Payen AE330 seems to have worked fine for me. Don't cut it...just use
as is.

Ty

Tyler Thompson l National Account Executive - Public Safety Sector
esri | One International Court | Broomfield, CO 80021
Phone: 303.449-7779 ext. 1-8260, cell: 719.510-1649 |
E-mail: [email-masked]

Sent from my iPad
(Please excuse any errors or typos)

> getting the head gasket to seal.  Have not fired the engine yet, but it
keeps
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 21:48:38 -0600

I recall 3-5 thousands protrusion...Sounds too high...

Ty

Sent from my iPad