Subject: Re: [Fot] SCCA Road America & HProd Spitfire Excitement

From: "Barr, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 12:20:18 +0000

<< Seems steering knuckles are failing on our Spits all of a sudden ... I will
be able to tighten the 4 screws holding the assembly together all will be good

Don't count on it.  Mine has been getting progressively crummier, but took a
step toward spooky last weekend at Blackhawk.  So we pulled it apart this
weekend as long as the engine was out and tried to tighten it - in vain.  It
appears that the 4 cap screws that hold it together are staked in place.  No
safety wire.  The rubber grommets have largely perished, leaving just the
steel disk and the fasteners.  It's not going anywhere and is just a little
vague on-center, so we tucked it back in there for now and will source a new
one ASAP.

Yes - strange coincidence?

Scott B.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of [email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2013 4:52 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] SCCA Road America & HProd Spitfire Excitement

Well,

Seems steering knuckles are failing on our Spits all of a sudden.  At my last
autocross a week ago I noticed a bit of play in my steering wheel ??  So
yesterday while checking over my Spit I remembered my steering wheel play.
Turns out my steering knuckle is about to fail thought it looks if I remove
the broken safety wires I will be able to tighten the 4 screws holding the
assembly together all will be good.  But, I think I should dig out one of the
three I have in my spares and compare as to which is best.

Is this a coincidence problem for our Spits at this time ?

Cheers,
Bob T

-----Original Message-----
From: Rocky Entriken <[email-masked]>
To: chris crisenbery <[email-masked]>; FoT Triumph
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Sat, Aug 3, 2013 3:21 pm
Subject: Re: [Fot] SCCA Road America & HProd Spitfire Excitement

Wow! As a dedicated regional-race Spitfire backmarker, I'll sympathize.
I've never had the shaft fail like that -- been driving mine (street, then ace
& autox) since 1966, race-prepped in '71 -- but I've had that knuckle hat
connects the shaft to the rack & pinion fail a couple of times, and it as
loose again when I was prepping for my one foray into National racing nd the
2011 Runoffs. So there's a nice shiny new (2 years old now) one in here now.
Most interesting failure was on an airport circuit at Hutchinson, Ks., where t
failed early on the 2nd lap of the race and I found by steering really ently I
might nurse it back to the pits. I'd started 3rd and had quickly ropped to
7th. Well on that nurse-it-back lap I found if I didn't jerk the heel I could
make it turn -- what is it they tell novices about smooth hand ovements? -- so
I tried another lap. Then another. And began picking up ositions. The only
corner I really had to give up was the second half of a uick left-right
chicane. Last lap I was up to 4th coming into the final urn and the car in 3rd
had gone off and was doing his airport loop to come ack on. "Car, you WILL
make this turn!" I said, and it did, and I got my rd place back. In the
paddock the car would turn no more. Had to put a jack nder it to line it up
with my trailer so I could push it on.
I classify it now as one of those incredibly stupid things we do when we
queeze our brain with a helmet. But still fun.
My one visit to RA was fun too, start DFL, finish 11th in the wet, and an
xperience that let me relate more to (and enjoy) your description. I know
ou'll do better than that in September and raise the Triumph flag high.
ood luck.
--Rocky Entriken
----- Original Message -----
rom: "chris crisenbery" <[email-masked]>
o: "FoT Triumph" <[email-masked]>
ent: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 4:32 PM
ubject: [Fot] SCCA Road America & HProd Spitfire Excitement

 Hey everyone,
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Rocky Entriken" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 17:27:19 -0500

Source: The Roadster Factory. Part No. FAM1718 -- "Flexible Steering 
joint" - $41.99.

http://trf.zeni.net/spitfireGB/index.php?zoom=1&page=60

--Rocky

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 19:27:14 -0400 (EDT)

Hmmm ?

TRF lists the same part number for all models ... I might be mistaken but the
early models are smaller diameter splined shafts Can anyone back me up.  Just
so going thru my spares I found two for the later cars and one that I believe
is for the early cars (smaller I.D.) both end of the knuckle.

More curious,
Bob T

-----Original Message-----
From: Rocky Entriken <[email-masked]>
To: Barr, Scott <[email-masked]>; robertten1 <[email-masked]>; fot
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Mon, Aug 12, 2013 6:26 pm
Subject: Re: [Fot] SCCA Road America & HProd Spitfire Excitement

oint" - $41.99.
----- Original Message -----
rom: "Barr, Scott" <[email-masked]>
o: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
ent: Monday, August 12, 2013 7:20 AM
ubject: Re: [Fot] SCCA Road America & HProd Spitfire Excitement

 << Seems steering knuckles are failing on our Spits all of a sudden ... I
 will
 be able to tighten the 4 screws holding the assembly together all will be
 good

 Don't count on it.  Mine has been getting progressively crummier, but took
 a
 step toward spooky last weekend at Blackhawk.  So we pulled it apart this
 weekend as long as the engine was out and tried to tighten it - in vain.
 It
 appears that the 4 cap screws that hold it together are staked in place.
 No
 safety wire.  The rubber grommets have largely perished, leaving just the
 steel disk and the fasteners.  It's not going anywhere and is just a
 little
 vague on-center, so we tucked it back in there for now and will source a
 new
 one ASAP.

 Scott B.

 -----Original Message-----
 From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
 Behalf
 Of [email-masked]
 Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2013 4:52 PM
 To: [email-masked]
 Subject: Re: [Fot] SCCA Road America & HProd Spitfire Excitement

 Well,

 Seems steering knuckles are failing on our Spits all of a sudden.  At my
 last
 autocross a week ago I noticed a bit of play in my steering wheel ??  So
 yesterday while checking over my Spit I remembered my steering wheel play.
 Turns out my steering knuckle is about to fail thought it looks if I
 remove
 the broken safety wires I will be able to tighten the 4 screws holding the
 assembly together all will be good.  But, I think I should dig out one of
 the
 three I have in my spares and compare as to which is best.

 Cheers,
 Bob T

---

From: SCOTT JANZEN <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 19:59:23 -0400

Pegasus has a variety of (probably higher strength) steering joints. Would any
of these fit?

Sent from my mobile device

On Aug 12, 2013, at 7:27 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Bill Tobin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 21:40:08 -0400

Pegasus sells a Borgeson HD u-joint with 9/16x36 splines which is what my 
TR6 is. Around $80. It's a replacement for various British cars.
NFI.
Bill
----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2013 7:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Fot] SCCA Road America & HProd Spitfire Excitement

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]