Subject: Re: [Fot] J-type overdrive reluctant to disengage

From: "Steve Yott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 21:38:18 -0500

Scott<
I would agree that it is not an electrical issue.  In order of ease in
troubleshooting:

1- The solenoid is fairly reliable in a J-Type but I have seen a couple of
them stick in the "on" position after power is removed.  This is a not good
situation because you could have the overdrive engage in reverse and destroy
the overdrive.  The best way to isolate this issue is with a pressure gauge
and ensure that the pressure drops to under 40 lbs with the power removed
from the solenoid.

2- Clogged release orifice is very possible but yes the overdrive would need
to come out.  For a race car this should have been opened up to 1-mm in
diameter for faster release of the overdrive.  This can be seen with a
pressure gauge.

3- Sticking cone clutch.... this is a very definite possibility and is very
common if the proper finish is created on the brake ring upon overhaul.

If needed you can remove the unit and bring it down a bit south to Silver
Lake, WI and I would be glad to tear it down and fix it.  I also have a
powered test stand for working on these units.

Steve Yott

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Barr, Scott
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Fot] J-type overdrive reluctant to disengage

So I have my new J-type overdrive trans in the Spit and took it out down the
back road near my house tonight.  The overdrive engages and sometimes
disengages.  But a lot of the time it remains in overdrive despite flipping
the switch off.

The trouble shooting section of the manual lists several possible causes
(none of which I like because they sound like removal of the trans).
Sticking solenoid, sticking cone clutch, clogged control orifice, faulty
wiring.

I wouldn't think wiring is the issue if it works right some of the time.
Any chance this relates to running it at lower revs than I would on track?

Freshly rebuilt box from Quantum Mechanics, John Esposito.

Scott Barr
McCarty Law LLP
(920) 257-2233
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: EDWARD BARNARD <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 20:56:54 -0700 (PDT)

Scott:
Esposito builds them very tight. You need to drain the tranny and O/D
and refill with Redline MTL. Use MTL, not any of the weight specific MT
Redlines. They have other undesirable additives. In fact, the bottle label
states that. This has fixed every one of the tight O/D's I/we have
found...right Larry Y?
-Ed-  

________________________________
 From:
"Barr, Scott" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]> 
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:03 PM
Subject: [Fot]
J-type overdrive reluctant to disengage

So I have my new J-type overdrive
trans in the Spit and took it out down the back road near my house tonight. 
The overdrive engages and sometimes disengages.  But a lot of the time it
remains in overdrive despite flipping the switch off.

The trouble shooting
section of the manual lists several possible causes (none of which I like
because they sound like removal of the trans).  Sticking solenoid, sticking
cone clutch, clogged control orifice, faulty wiring.

I wouldn't think wiring
is the issue if it works right some of the time.  Any chance this relates to
running it at lower revs than I would on track?

Freshly rebuilt box from
Quantum Mechanics, John Esposito.

Scott Barr
McCarty Law LLP
(920) 257-2233
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
http://www.fot-racing.com/

Archive:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Barr, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 14:53:28 +0000

Wow, thanks everybody!  Lots of good info and suggestions.  I have a few
things to try out and will report back.  I am at Road America this weekend
with Midwestern Council and will see what happens.  If I can't get it to work
I'll have to R&R it before the KasCup.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Barr, Scott
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Fot] J-type overdrive reluctant to disengage

The trouble shooting section of the manual lists several possible causes (none
of which I like because they sound like removal of the trans).  Sticking
solenoid, sticking cone clutch, clogged control orifice, faulty wiring.

I wouldn't think wiring is the issue if it works right some of the time.  Any
chance this relates to running it at lower revs than I would on track?

Scott Barr
McCarty Law LLP
(920) 257-2233

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Larry Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 13:23:24 -0500

Yes, we had a club member who had this problem with an A type rebuilt by 
Quantum.  On Ed's suggest, he went to Redline MTL and I haven't heard 
anything more about it, so it must have worked.  Sam, do you know?
Larry

On 8/14/2013 10:56 PM, EDWARD BARNARD wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive:
> http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "john hasty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 14:39:49 -0400

Larry, we are using the Redline product in the A type you built.... 

John H. Hasty
Attorney At Law
Guthrie, Davis, Henderson & Staton, P.L.L.C.
719 East Boulevard
Charlotte, North Carolina 28203-5113
Tele: (704) 372-5600
Fax: (704) 372-4601
E-mail: [email-masked]
www.gdhs.com
 
PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message (and any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that
is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL, and/or may contain ATTORNEY WORK PRODUCT.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message
and its attachments and notify us immediately.  Thank you.
 
IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE:  In order to comply with certain IRS regulations
regarding tax advice, we inform you that, unless expressly stated otherwise,
any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments)
is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for purposes of
(i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting,
marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter
addressed herein.
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Larry Young
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2013 2:23 PM
To: EDWARD BARNARD
Cc: Sam & Carol Clark; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] J-type overdrive reluctant to disengage

On 8/14/2013 10:56 PM, EDWARD BARNARD wrote:
> and refill with Redline MTL. Use MTL, not any of the weight specific 
> MT Redlines. They have other undesirable additives. In fact, the 
> bottle label states that. This has fixed every one of the tight O/D's 
> I/we have found...right Larry Y?
> -Ed-
>   
>
> The overdrive engages and sometimes disengages.  But a lot of the time 
> it remains in overdrive despite flipping the switch off.
>
> The trouble shooting
> section of the manual lists several possible causes (none of which I 
> like because they sound like removal of the trans).  Sticking 
> is the issue if it works right some of the time.  Any chance this 
> relates to running it at lower revs than I would on track?
>
> Freshly rebuilt box from
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Barr, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 18:43:42 +0000

In my case, I switched over to Redline MT-90 (interestingly, the
recommendations were more numerous on the MT-90 side than on the MTL side).
The trans does shift out of overdrive slightly more often than it did
previously, but not reliably enough to use it on the race track this weekend.
AND it's leaking like a sieve (the trans front seal was leaky to start with,
and is even more so with the synthetic in it).

So I'll be pulling the trans out of there tomorrow and dragging it down to
Steve Yott to go through it before the KasCup.

Scott B.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Larry Young
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2013 1:23 PM
To: EDWARD BARNARD
Cc: Sam & Carol Clark; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] J-type overdrive reluctant to disengage

Yes, we had a club member who had this problem with an A type rebuilt by
Quantum.  On Ed's suggest, he went to Redline MTL and I haven't heard anything
more about it, so it must have worked.  Sam, do you know?
Larry

---

From: Larry Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 14:59:58 -0500

I haven't personally had an overdrive that wouldn't shift out.  I have 
always used standard Staylube GL-4 dinosaur oil, due to the claimed 
problem of GL-5 and yellow metal.  I buy it by the gallon at the local 
Napa.
Larry