Subject: [Fot] Fwd: Dyno Results

From: Joe Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 18:32:44 -0500

List,

Mike is getting his TR3A ready for Bonneville.

Engine is prepared to street specs per Kastner's book.

But it is fitted like the TR2 for the Jabbeke Trials....

Spats, Belly Pan, Hard Tonneau, Brooklands Screen, etc.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for Mike?

This is a private grassroots effort. Our kind of guy, really.

Seems like it might be fun to get behind this and have visibility to the
results.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Seth Mcgee" <[email-masked]>
> Date: August 7, 2013, 5:20:33 PM CDT
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Dyno Results
>
> Joe,
>
> I had the car dyno tuned today. Results are in the attached chart. The car
seemed to perform OK except it has a drop off of power at 4500 rpm. The chart
does not show it but power recovers but at a lower value after 4500 rpm. The
dyno people thought it was the spark plug wires which are new from Moss
Motors; however, if you touch the wires at the plug/wire interface you get a
big shock which should not happen.
>
> Based on your TR experience, could bad wires cause the abrupt drop off of
power at 4500 rpm and what is a good brand of wires to buy?
>
> I used the NGK BP8HS plugs for the test.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 21:50:06 -0400 (EDT)

Mike,

May all your runs be TRiumphant ones !!

A prayer for the Salt,
Bob T

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Alexander <[email-masked]>
To: fot <[email-masked]>
Cc: Seth Mcgee <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wed, Aug 7, 2013 7:33 pm
Subject: [Fot] Fwd: Dyno Results

List,
esults.
Thanks everyone.
Sent from my iPad

 Joe,

 I had the car dyno tuned today. Results are in the attached chart. The car
eemed to perform OK except it has a drop off of power at 4500 rpm. The chart
oes not show it but power recovers but at a lower value after 4500 rpm. The
yno people thought it was the spark plug wires which are new from Moss
otors; however, if you touch the wires at the plug/wire interface you get a
ig shock which should not happen.

 Based on your TR experience, could bad wires cause the abrupt drop off of
ower at 4500 rpm and what is a good brand of wires to buy?

 I used the NGK BP8HS plugs for the test.
______________________________________________
[email-masked]
http://www.fot-racing.com
rchive: http://www.team.net/archive
orums: http://www.team.net/forums
nsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 20:48:44 -0600

> May all your runs be TRiumphant ones !!

Too bad the Salt Flats are SO far away from my house.  Almost a whole 2 
hour drive.
But maybe I can make it out there...

mjb.

---

From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 08:57:26 -0400

Mike. I know Jim Stecht (sp) who built and drove the record holding Alfa on
the flats. Bet he will probably be there. He is the one you should talk to.
I'll get his # tomorrow and send it along.
Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 7, 2013, at 9:50 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Joe Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 08:13:22 -0500

Once again, what a great list.

I have invited Mike to join the FOT list. If it suits him, he may accept.

I believe his effort is more to commemorate and honor the Triumph on the 60th
Anniversary of the Jabbeke Run.

At 4500 feet it might be difficult to match the speed, but does it really
matter?

Thanks.....

Sent from my iPad

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 15:01:17 -0400

Joe. Please pass on to Mike
Jim Steck
937 477 5673
Jim@autocomponent. Com

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 8, 2013, at 9:13 AM, Joe Alexander <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I believe his effort is more to commemorate and honor the Triumph on the
60th Anniversary of the Jabbeke Run.
matter?

---

From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 15:02:11 -0400

PS tell him he is free to tell Jim I told him to call

Sent from my iPhone

matter?

---

From: Duncan Charlton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 20:46:27 -0500

There's the traction issue with the salt, too.  The guys there said to expect
11-12% loss due to slippage.

Duncan
(Texas)

>>> the flats.

---

From: Kas Kastner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 20:47:59 -0700

We did 128+ back in 1966 with a TR-4 and it was tough going. the one thing
I did was shave the sides off the tires so there was very little in contact
with the salt and traction was never a problem as there is a long way to
wind that devil up before you hit the lights for time.

*Never be beaten by equipment.*

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Duncan Charlton <[email-masked]
> wrote:

> >>> Mike. I know Jim Stecht (sp) who built and drove the record holding
> Alfa
> > on
> >>> the flats.
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Duncan Charlton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 10:39:06 -0500

Sounds like you created the equivalent to the solution that most successful
salt flat runners use, which is a narrow tire with a rounded profile.  I found
an interesting short article regarding traction on the salt flats on one of
the USFRA web pages: saltflats (dot) com (forward slash) traction.html .  I
certainly didn't see any drag starts at the starting line and many drivers
started in second gear, even in the air-cooled VWs, allowing them to use more
throttle for longer.

Duncan

>>>>> Mike. I know Jim Stecht (sp) who built and drove the record holding
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]