Subject: [Fot] Don't Pass Me in the Kink

From: Dennis DeLap <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 18:20:58 -0500

A M I C I
I am thinking about having this bumper sticker made for the Kastner Cup.
Anyone want one?
Dennis
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 10:30:45 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 08/06/2013 6:48:49 AM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Dennis,
>   I would like two, please.
>   The response to your idea has been low.
> Perhaps it is because our fellow racers are not familiar with Road 
> America's
> "Kink". A fast bend in the track where a few people have died because they
> misjudged the turn, or had cold tires in one instance I know of.
> Ken Suhre 
> 

Amici...

I have been racing at Road America for thirty years.  Usually three events 
per year.  A couple of years I even ran four events there.  All of my 
experience has been 'vintage', and I have always felt that 'The Kink' should be a 
continuous standing yellow.  The wide spread in experience, horsepower, and 
talent in vintage racing ought to bring sanctioning bodies to that 
conclusion.  But so far it has not.  At the Driver's Meetings, they all warn you of 
the potential for great danger in The Kink, but they still will allow 
passing.  There are some experienced racers who are quite good at it.  Sadly there 
are others who just 'think they are good at it'.  The big issue is when the 
passing car on the inside leaves no room for the car being passed at the 
exit.  The track is very, very narrow there, with concrete walls on both sides. 
 When accidents do occur there, the racecars become like so many billiard 
balls on a snooker table.  

In all likelihood, Dennis Delap's proposed bumper sticker is being offered 
with 'tongue in cheek', but it is highly appropriate.  Another idea would be 
for us to post a picture of Kent Howard's pretty red TR3A racecar flat 
towed back to the paddock after an ill advised pass by a Porsche 356 Coupe, 
whose driver 'ran out of talent in the kink.  It was rolled into a ball, and a 
$20,000 racecar (today's market) became nearly worthless, except for a few 
parts.  I've got one of those pictures, if someone wants to post it.  In fact, 
there was a video of that crash.  I do not know if that is still around.

Were I the Grand Poo Bah of vintage racing, there would be no passing in 
The Kink at vintage racing events at Road America.  But, of course, not much 
chance of my being elected to that position any time soon.

Bill (Damdinger)

PS All of the above notwithstanding... driving THE KINK at Road America is 
a near 'sexual experience'.  That quote is from Bobby Rahal, describing Road 
America as one of the finest road racing circuit in the world.  Rahal says 
an IndyCar will take that turn 'flat out'...but EVERY time he would approach 
it, there was a subconscious urge to lift.  "Surely and IndyCar cannot take 
that turn Flat Out!"  But done correctly...they can and do.  Likewise, our 
cars can take the turn Flat Out, but believe me...it's a 'pucker point'.  If 
you have not raced Road America before...you will LOVE IT, but be careful.  
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]