Subject: [Fot] Spitfire single-rail trans-reverse shift??

From: Sam <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 13:58:58 -0500

I had something similar happen to me on my GT6 with a single rail.  I took the
car in to an upholstery shop for some work.  Driving it home I soon realized
that I only had reverse, first and second.  I called the trim shop and turned
around and went back.  I told him that he was going to have to pull the tunnel
to get to it.  Evidently one or the guys that moved the car around ham-fisted
it into reverse.  Reverse is the shortest throw and all I can figure is that
he tried to force it in.  The rail where it meets the shifter got bent at the
yoke.  They pulled it out and straightened it and it works like a champ.
YMMV
Sam

On Aug 8, 2013, at 1:00 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 17:35:49 +0000
> From: "Barr, Scott" <[email-masked]>
>
>
> I am looking for some info on how to shift the Spitfire overdrive style
single
> rail trans mission into reverse.   Reverse is indicated on the shift know
as
> being to the left of neutral and up toward first gear.  However, I can't
get
> the shift lever to move left out of the neutral position. If I push it as
far
> left as it will go, moving it up gets me 1st gear.
>
> Do you have to push down on the shift lever, or pull up on it or twist it
or
> say a prayer or what?
>
> My 4-speed, three-rail trans requires a push down on the lever to get over
to
> reverse.
> Scott B.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Joe Guinan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 16:27:12 -0500

Scott,

The late single rail trans shift pattern is odd - push out to the right and
pull UP on the shift knob to get reverse.  Of course, this is the same
whether the OD is fitted or not.  Maybe you have the wrong shift knob?
SpitBits has a photo of the correct knob at
http://spitbits.com/1500/1500gearboxexterior75-80.htm - item # 13, click on
the number to pull up the photo.  The small photo attached won't go through
the list but should be viewable to Scott.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at RA!

Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE
------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 17:35:49 +0000
From: "Barr, Scott" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Fot] Spitfire single-rail trans - reverse shift??
Message-ID:
	
<[email-masked]>

I am looking for some info on how to shift the Spitfire overdrive style
single
rail trans mission into reverse.   Reverse is indicated on the shift know as
being to the left of neutral and up toward first gear.  However, I can't get
the shift lever to move left out of the neutral position. If I push it as
far left as it will go, moving it up gets me 1st gear.

Do you have to push down on the shift lever, or pull up on it or twist it or
say a prayer or what?

to reverse.

Scott B.

------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Fot mailing list
[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/fot

End of Fot Digest, Vol 81, Issue 15
***********************************

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of OD Shift Knob.jpg]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 19:28:58 -0400

Same as T R 3. For about a year I didn't know you were supposed to pull up; so
brute force was applied.  Fortunately I did not round off the gate. Not too
often you put a race car in reverse.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 8, 2013, at 5:27 PM, "Joe Guinan" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
as
get
or
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]