Subject: Re: [Fot] Thrust bearings

From: Bob Kramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 07:56:24 -0500

How do you control oil pressure to all those bearings? I suspect you would
need to orifice all the oil passageways or set up some remote hose bank to get
oil at the right pressure to the rockers for example. Are there roller
bearings you could use that don't just dump oil out everywhere?

Bob Kramer
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 20, 2013, at 9:40 PM, Christopher Bock <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Amici
>
> I have been thinking, which is dangerous!!
>
> I have a 1500 spit engine that will eventually be rebuilt to a little
hotter
> than normal. One of the main things to watch out for is he thrust bearings.
> Which lead me to this....
>
> My thoughts were to explore ball bearings in the engine. I have done some
> Internet exploration and found some info. So I am asking the engine
builders
> here for their opinions.
>
> Thrust bearings.  Can ball thrust bearings be used? Has anyone ever tried
to
> use them? I haven't found anything online about this. Good/bad idea?
>
> Cam bearings.  Has anyone tried to use roller bearings in the block? I have
> found some info about this but nothing really saying good or bad.  I think
the
> 1500 block doesn't use bearings, but they can be used with a different
(1247?)
> cam.
>
> Crank bearings.  Split Roller bearings? I found one article about a guy who
> was going to use a split roller bearing on the crank.  There wasn't
anything
> if it happened or not.
>
> Connecting rod bearings. Same as above, same article, same results.
>
> Roller rocker bearings. Here is a question. Are the bearings on the rocker
> shaft or the rocker to valve area or both? I heard roller bearings are not
> worth the cost to use.
>
> I know the oil pressure will be less because you aren't looking for high
> volume just splash oiling or mist oiling. Wouldn't a lower oil pressure be
> better? Less force in trying to pump lots of oil around.
>
> I have three engines and I am willing to guinea pig on one engine.   I
haven't
> really looked into what sizes or costs would be needed. I am just throwing
it
> out there for opinions
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 10:28:54 -0400

All of our 2stroke race motors used roller rod & wrist pin bearings with ball
bearings on the crank. They were only lubed by the gas/oil mix which was fed
directly into the case through the carbs.  So, in theory the low end should be
doable. What do the F1 cars use. But they don't use cams etc?

Sent from my iPhone

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]