Subject: [Fot] Clutch Failure in GT6

From: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 22:35:02 -0400

I ran the Schenley Park GP in Pittsburgh this past weekend - a fantastic
event, racing on city streets- I'll be back.
It is, however, hard on the car, and once again I've found the weak link.
The clutch disc center basically ripped out - the metal around only one of
three rivets was still intact.
So, it's a stock disc and pressure plate, never given trouble before, probably
on its 3rd-4th season.  Should I just replace it, or is there an easily
adaptable upgrade that's stronger?

It's an 8-1/2" disc, 23 spline - the car has a TR4-6 gearbox in it (the GT6
box was the old weak link) and a good aluminum flywheel I got from Ted that
I'd hate to give up on.

What is being used out there - given that I have a TR4-6 box with the
cross-shaft/fork arrangement, I'm guessing whatever you TR4 racers have done
might work too.

Scott
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 10:49:12 -0400 (EDT)

We have found a one person shop in North Branch Mn--"The Clutch 
Doctor"--he can build most anything.  We us a"One Piece" disc--no 
rivets-no 'Marcel" with ceramic buttons.  Don't need "Marcel" in the 
fins for smooth takoffs--ie street.  Ceramic buttons run cooler and can 
take more oil. Must use steel insert if using aluminum flywheel.  Sprung 
center section is advised for road racing--ie not solid disc.
    I used to build my our clutches when I worked for a clutch 
manufacturer.  We built 100M units per year.  I used to give clinics on 
clutches---sooo Questions 763-684-1617.  John Hagen  TR-4 -  TVR 
Grantura
   Clutch Doctors' name is Trevor  @  651-674-4175

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 9:35 PM, Scott Janzen wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]