Subject: [Fot] Thrust bearings

From: Christopher Bock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 22:40:45 -0400

Amici

I have been thinking, which is dangerous!!

I have a 1500 spit engine that will eventually be rebuilt to a little hotter
than normal. One of the main things to watch out for is he thrust bearings.
Which lead me to this....

My thoughts were to explore ball bearings in the engine. I have done some
Internet exploration and found some info. So I am asking the engine builders
here for their opinions.

Thrust bearings.  Can ball thrust bearings be used? Has anyone ever tried to
use them? I haven't found anything online about this. Good/bad idea?

Cam bearings.  Has anyone tried to use roller bearings in the block? I have
found some info about this but nothing really saying good or bad.  I think the
1500 block doesn't use bearings, but they can be used with a different (1247?)
cam.

Crank bearings.  Split Roller bearings? I found one article about a guy who
was going to use a split roller bearing on the crank.  There wasn't anything
if it happened or not.

Connecting rod bearings. Same as above, same article, same results.

Roller rocker bearings. Here is a question. Are the bearings on the rocker
shaft or the rocker to valve area or both? I heard roller bearings are not
worth the cost to use.

I know the oil pressure will be less because you aren't looking for high
volume just splash oiling or mist oiling. Wouldn't a lower oil pressure be
better? Less force in trying to pump lots of oil around.

I have three engines and I am willing to guinea pig on one engine.   I haven't
really looked into what sizes or costs would be needed. I am just throwing it
out there for opinions
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive