Subject: Re: [Fot] A type O.D.

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 23:31:26 -0700

> Our article in 
> the maintenance section at vtr.org gives guidelines for the 
> effect of shim thickness on pressure and information on where 
> to buy a pressure gauge.

It's a very good article; and yet I wish it had included a copy of Steve's
warning.  I found out the hard way.

The pressure on the bench and in the car looked fine at lower rpm.  But the
spring was reaching coil bind at higher rpm and the resulting pressure
literally bent the bars that the pistons ride against, before eventually
forcing the clutch assembly out of the carrier.  That big circlip looked
like a pretzel; and the clutch assembly was pretty much ruined.  The excess
pressure may also have something to do with the thrust washer exploding, and
the case being about .080" longer afterwards.

FWIW, I turned my own adapter for the pressure gauge; a fun but practical
lathe project.  You can use the plug as a pattern for the OD end, then just
drill & tap a hole for the pressure gauge (mine was 1/4 NPT).

Randall
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive