Subject: [Fot] HANS/Similar required at Nationals at COTA

From: "FoodDude" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 11:36:17 -0500

Fot:

For those of you traveling to the US Vintage Nationals at COTA in Austin
held by SVRA this October:

SVRA Competition Bulletin #CB2013-009

June 18, 2013 by SRVA <http://www.svra.com/author/admin/>  

Subject: SAFETY-Head and Neck Support Systems
From: Raymond Snowdon, Competition Director 

SVRA Competition Bulletin #CB2013-009
<http://www.svra.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Competition_Bulletin_CB2013-
009.pdf>  (PDF)

The safety of all competitors is of primary concern to all of us at the
Sportscar Vintage Racing Association.

Following a number of incidents in various Vintage events during 2012 and
the current 2013 season, SVRA has interviewed drivers and emergency
personnel involved. One common statement has been made regarding each
incident: “the HANS system saved the driver.”

As a result of this information and feedback, SVRA feels immediate action is
appropriate to continue being a leader in safety compliance for drivers. 

Effective July 1, 2013, HEAD and NECK SUPPORT SYSTEMS that meet SFI 38.1
Standards, are MANDATORY for all competitors in S.V.R.A. events. 

Information on these Systems can be found at: www.sfifoundation.com. Click:
MANUFACTURERS, then click “38.1″.

Pre War drivers will be currently exempt from this requirement, but drivers
are urged to investigate, select, and use alternate head and neck support as
currently benefiting enduro, karting and motorcycle road racers.

And from SFI Foundation:

Specification 38.1 - Head and Neck Restraint Systems
HANS Performance Products - HANS Device (All Series) <http://www.hansdevice.
com> 
Leatt Brace - MRX Device <http://www.leatt-brace.com> 
NecksGen Device <http://www.necksgen.com> 
Simpson R3 Device <http://simpsonraceproducts.com/head-neck> 
Simpson R3 Rage Device <http://simpsonraceproducts.com/head-neck> 
Simpson Hybrid Pro Device <http://simpsonraceproducts.com/head-neck> 
Simpson Hybrid Pro Rage Device <http://simpsonraceproducts.com/head-neck> 
Simpson Hybrid/Hybrid Rage Device <http://simpsonraceproducts.com/head-neck>

Simpson Hybrid X Device <http://simpsonraceproducts.com/head-neck> 

Please note that there are products from other manufacturers such as
DefNder, Leatt Brace, and Safety Solutions that were previously certified
and labeled as meeting SFI 38.1. They are not currently listed on the SFI
website because they are no longer in new production. However, any devices
still in the field or at retail outlets that have SFI 38.1 stickers on them
were properly tested and certified at the time. The certifications for those
devices remain valid.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 13:25:06 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 07/30/2013 11:51:19 AM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Is this also mandatory at RA?
> 
VSCDA is the sanctioning body of ELVF (the Kastner Cup event), and their 
current position is that they encourage the use of the HANS device or similar, 
but they do not make wearing it mandatory.

Bill Dentinger

---

From: "Rocky Entriken" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 16:32:34 -0500

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Rocky Entriken" <[email-masked]>
To: "Jim Gray" <[email-masked]>; "Tony Drews" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: [Fot] HANS/Similar required at Nationals at COTA

To use a HANS, and similar devices, you need anchors in your helmet.

Last time I bought a helmet I ordered it with the anchors installed. I
didn't actually buy my HANS until two years later.

And Jim's right ... in the heat of battle I never notice it (also my HANS
has the slip-strap feature which lets you turn your head more)

--Rocky

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jim Gray" <[email-masked]>
To: "Tony Drews" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:51 PM
Subject: Re: [Fot] HANS/Similar required at Nationals at COTA

 Me too,
 Once your belted in you won't know you have it on unless you try to look
 over your shoulder.
 Jim g

 Sent from my iPhone