Subject: [Fot] Steering wheel lock

From: Don Marshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 13:20:29 -0400

I have a Stag/Buick that I want to sell to help fund the racing budget, but
the steering wheel lock is engaged and won't release, even when I turn the
key on and off multiple times.  Short of knocking out the lock mechanism,
does anyone know any tricks to get it free.  I have the key and it turns
freely, but nothing releases.  I don't have a battery in the car but I
can't imagine electricity is required for the lock mechanism.  I'm guessing
the lock is the same on all the TRs so hopefully someone has experienced
this and fixed it. Any ideas?  Thanks, Don
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Tim Murphy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 12:43:56 -0500

Not sure if this will help.  The ignition key/lock on my '98 BMW does the
same thing on occasion and I think it's just when the steering wheel has
"pressure" against it.  Turning the steering wheel so it isn't up against
the lock mechanism then allows the key to work.

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Don Marshall
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:20 PM
To: Friends of Triumph
Subject: [Fot] Steering wheel lock

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 19:00:58 +0000

---- Don Marshall <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> this and fixed it. Any ideas?  

Definitely try turning the wheel first.  

My guess though is that you will have to remove the lock mechanism.  Take off the plastic shroud around it (3 screws up from the bottom IIRC).  If you are lucky, someone has already replaced the "security" bolts through the lock mechanism, but if not, use a Dremel and a cutoff blade to slot the heads.  Or just grind the heads off.  The bolts are a standard thread (1/4-20?), so just replace them with hex head bolts and maybe a flat & lock washer.  They aren't visible once the shroud is installed.

Randall