Subject: Re: [Fot] How likely is cracking a trailing arm on a TR6?

From: Jamie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:48:58 -0500

On ****street**** cars, with the less expensive conversions using very short
shocks, the biggest thing is the way the lower part of the shock connects to
the trailing arm.  As the suspension goes through its range of motion, a lot
of side deflection (angle change) goes on and the place on the trailing arm
where the shock bolts on isn't designed for that and breaks off.  Note that
the same basic design is used on the 2000/2500/2.5 PI sedans and Stag BUT with
a much longer shock to reduce the angle change.  It works just fine.

Jamie Palmer

On Jun 19, 2013, at 5:11 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> The trailing arms are pretty tough. The only place I could even imagine
them
> cracking would be at the spring
>
> seat area but even there it would take some sort of casting defect. I
wouldn't
> sweat it.
>
> jim g
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
>
>
> From: "sherry robyn" <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:12:19 PM
> Subject: [Fot] How likely is cracking a trailing arm on a TR6?
>
> I have regular height stiffer springs, rear sway bar, stock soft bushings
in
> trailing arm and diff (with cups on diff mounts), frame strengthening in
> certain areas, and red Konis (soft bushings) with the conversion tied into
the
> roll cage. B I currently have the Konis set on the second to the stiffest
> setting. B I backed off the stiffest setting for the Konis due to talk of
the
> trailing arm cracking. B I am just wondering if I can go to the stiffest
> setting on the Konis without much worry. B Any thoughts would be
appreciated.
> Thanks, Jim
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: TR4 Tony <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 08:26:18 +0100

I've had one crack on a very quick road going IRS 4a I used to own, between
the bolts that hold the hub in place across the top of the cast tunnel they
run through. That was as a result of a wire wheel shredding rapidly and the
shaft impacting the casting. This is typically the way these castings fail -
they are hollow and very strong.

I don't think you will have a problem because of the shock settings, more
likely something else giving up and causing a problem so it's vital to make
sure that everything is in good order across the whole IRS set up.

Regards

Tony

Sent from my iPhone

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]