Subject: Re: [Fot] Copper Coat

From: Bob Kramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 12:42:01 -0500

Ty
I use copper coat. I scrub the gasket with a green scotch brite pad to give it
some bite. I do a few thin coats. This is all done after a pre assembly
matching up the locating holes; the ones that need the studs screwed in to
line up the gasket. Any crinkling by the studs will be an issue.

Some guys use Gaskacinch around the lifter cavities but I haven't needed it. I
make sure to set it up as perfect as I can and I check protrusion with the
head lightly bolted down sans gasket.

Look for pulled up threads in the block. Older blocks weren't chamfered and
the threads pull up. That usually is time to move on to another block, but
time-serts may restore the threads to satisfactory condition.

Have you checked side to side liner protrusion? If the block has been decked
it is a likely problem. The deck is not matched to the oil pan surface and
machine shops will not match the deck to the figure 8 lands without some
serious discussion. Another reason and cheaper to move on to another block.

Get those figure 8 lands perfect. I use a red scotch brite wheel they sell at
Walmart and a lot of screwdriver and razor blade time.

There is also the threads down deep in the block to worry about. Any torque
issue from pulling threads can cause this problem.

FWIW I use stock studs with 104 torque and the Payen gaskets.

Bob Kramer
Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 2, 2013, at 10:50 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

> <br/>I used copper coat on my Payen AE 330 copper head gasket. 10 minutes
into the new cam run in,  the head started leaking out the Driver side
corners. I also had water bubbling up under the head bolt nuts as well on top
of the head. <br/><br/>When I pulled the head, the copper coat just wiped off.
I expected it would have set up.  Is this normal?  <br/><br/>Just had the head
milled so it is flat and the Payen gasket that was on there previously worked
great with no coating of copper coat visible or anything else. The reason for
the tear down was broken valve springs and a bad Paeco cam. <br/><br/>Is a
head gasket sealer needed?  I have pulled heads off of two other stick motors
and neither had any, nor did this race motor. . Also, should water be coming
up under the nuts in the head bolts?<br/><br/>Torque used was 105 ft lbs.
<br/><br/>Thanks for your help. <br/><br/>Ty<br/>Sent from Yahoo! Mail for
iPhone
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive