Subject: Re: [Fot] Aluminum rear brake drums

From: "Bill Tobin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 07:38:01 -0400

Hi Todd, the quick answer is I don't think so.
There are a couple differences between the Z drums and Triumph drums. I 
think one of Kas' books explained them.
By what I hear, the finned aluminum drums are no longer available.
BTW, I recently bought a set of Z drums on e-bay and am planning on fitting 
them to my TR6. I'll keep you posted.
Cheers, Bill
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Todd Redmond" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:06 PM
Subject: [Fot] Aluminum rear brake drums

> Fot,
>
> Looking at buying a used set of Datsun 240z Aluminum finned rear brake 
> drums. Found a pair.
> Might be a silly questions but can these be relined?
>
> Thanks
> Todd
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Jerry Van Vlack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 08:18:50 -0400

There is a steel liner in these drums but I doubt there is much material 
that can be cut, sometimes there is a min dimension cast into a drum. You 
might look for that and if it's there be guided by that dimension.
JVV

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Todd Redmond" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:06 PM
Subject: [Fot] Aluminum rear brake drums

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: TR4 Tony <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 08:36:59 +0100

Todd

Bastuck remanufactured these 9.055 inch drums based on the old 240z pattern,
but both the quality and machining is variable. The sell them specifically to
fit the TR hub pattern. You need to do a lot of work to these to make them
right, including the more obvious dimensional mods as the shoes don't sit
nicely in them.

Brembo used to similarly make a repro in 240z configuration. These were ok.
Same issues as above though.

The best solution is to get old 240z drums and machine these up, but some
caution on relining needed - the issue is the lining detaching so if your guys
get round this then fine, if not its a bad job.

There are other alloy drums out there at the moment supplied by MOSS one in 9
inch and one for the 10 inch axle. These are mainly supplied through
Racestorations and a sister company. I've tried all of these and the quality
is very poor and a big accident waiting if you use the 10 inch ones
particularly. The aftersales service when I had a problem was disgraceful so
make your own judgement on that one.

The only alloy drums I could recommend are the Typecast vintage replicas which
are supplied in 10 inch - these are proper cast and spun items and a really
good job. These guys are on the web as brakedum.com and in Leicester UK. Next
up would be old Datsun finned type.

Also note that alloy drums are fragile - one good hit and they shatter -
except the typecast ones which are made of a higher quality 'softer' material.
Not great for howling round on the loose.

In terms of braking performance, the tests that I did a few years back on a
good sample of all the various drums on my (heavy) rally car showed up the 10
inch steel drums as having the most stopping power metre by metre. The 9 inch
alloy 240 z drums were close, but only because I'd toleranced them to a set of
shoes that Ted S sent me years back - they were on a trigger and the whole
shoe seated beautifully. Mintex M1144 shoes were also good and I used those as
the 'control'.

Having said all that you really have to be at the outer edge before you get
any benefit over the standard steel drum when its properly vented,
particularly on the 10 inch .... Even when too hot to touch. So for the cost
I'd go on a diet of costly fish food to lose the weight if it got that
critical.

Regards to all

Tony

Sent from my iPhone

> Cheers, Bill
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Todd Redmond" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
drums. Found a pair.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 07:17:07 -0500

Wow.  Just... wow.  What GREAT information.  I love this group!

Tony D (the other Tony)

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 11:43:43 -0600

> Wow.  Just... wow.  What GREAT information.  I love this group!

Yep, this is a great list, probably my favorite, well worth the bit of 
effort
required.  Like last weekend when the network starting flaking out, at
random times.  Frustrating to track down, but finally fixed by a trip to 
Best
Buy and less than $100.  I probably could have saved a few bucks shopping
online, but I had no line to be on ;-)

And others also support this whole group, there are a few who are 
consistently
generous during the spring fund drive, or at random times over the course of
the year.  Hopefully I'll be able to offer some personal thank yous at 
this year's
Kastner Kup event!

mjb.