Subject: Re: [Fot] Triumphs are still relevant, even today

From: Duncan Charlton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 09:25:42 -0500

Great report, Bobby.  I'd hoped to come cheer you on, but grandparenting
duties came first...  Sounds like a heroic effort!

Duncan

On Jun 24, 2013, at 7:20 AM, Bobby Whitehead wrote:

> With the dawn of the new age and the alignment of the new world order taking
> shape, occasionally on must take a few steps back to be right with the
world.
> This past weekend is one such event when the Chump Series came to the well
used
> Texas World Speedway in College Station Texas. Six fearless champions came
to
> show to the world, once again, that the Triumph marque was still relevant
and
> worthy. Team FOGHAT (five old guys have a Triumph) ... Point is, it's okay
to take a few steps back every once in a while, if it makes
> you happy and keeps the true things in life relevant, like racing Triumphs!
>
> Bobby Whitehead
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Greg And Alison Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 10:39:30 -0400

Well done guys.
The 6 seems to be getting a reputation.  Previously it was awarded "the most
from the least" award in Lemons.

world.
used
to
and
> worthy. Team FOGHAT (five old guys have a Triumph) ... (yes we can't count
> either) proudly campaigned a true crap can car.. in theory there are
supposed to
> be $500 cars that enter the event... now I don't know about you but I've
looked
> far and wide for a $500 Miata (or Myyaatah according to our Canadian driver)
and
> I've never found one,,, much less a BMW or a SHO.. but our car I happen to
know
> was a former Lemons car owned by Bob Kramer that was a $200 car.. 1970 TR6
bone
> stock and not worthy of much..but it was complete.
> We campaigned all day Saturday from start to checker flag EIGHT hours in 95
> degree heat. A big thanks to the CoolShirt company indeed. We had tires that
> were very predictable, they would not hold a corner at all. That night the
tires
> were switched out for sticky tires and we started Sunday with much more
grip.
> Yours truly was piloting the TR6 when all that traction separated the front
> wheel from the hub, thank God it was not turn 7 or the straight..with much
vigor
> and stupidity several of the guys forged on to reattach studs and lugnuts..
we
> were sidelined for several hours but we did get the TR6 back on the track
the
> last hour to catch the checked flag!
> Later in the afternoon the awards ceremony came around and all the usual
> trophies were passed out. It came to the final trophy for the event, one
that
> personified the true spirit of crap can racing in the Chump Series and with
> large eruption of cheers from the team and the crowd, team Foghat was
awarded
> the great honor of the receiving the award. I hollered and even shed a tear,
it
> was one of the greatest moments in my Triumph career.
>
> Point is, it's okay to take a few steps back every once in a while, if it
makes
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 15:00:41 +0000

Bravo! That's fantastic. 5 stars from FGR!
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: Bobby Whitehead <[email-masked]>
To: FoT Triumph<[email-masked]>
Subject: [Fot] Triumphs are still relevant, even today

With the dawn of the new age and the alignment of the new world order taking 
shape, occasionally on must take a few steps back to be right with the world. 
This past weekend is one such event when the Chump Series came to the well used 
Texas World Speedway in College Station Texas. Six fearless champions came to 
show to the world, once again, that the Triumph marque was still relevant and 
worthy. Team FOGHAT (five old guys have a Triumph) ... (yes we can't count 
either) proudly campaigned a true crap can car.. in theory there are supposed to 
be $500 cars that enter the event... now I don't know about you but I've looked 
far and wide for a $500 Miata (or Myyaatah according to our Canadian driver) and 
I've never found one,,, much less a BMW or a SHO.. but our car I happen to know 
was a former Lemons car owned by Bob Kramer that was a $200 car.. 1970 TR6 bone 
stock and not worthy of much..but it was complete.
We campaigned all day Saturday from start to checker flag EIGHT hours in 95 
degree heat. A big thanks to the CoolShirt company indeed. We had tires that 
were very predictable, they would not hold a corner at all. That night the tires 
were switched out for sticky tires and we started Sunday with much more grip. 
Yours truly was piloting the TR6 when all that traction separated the front 
wheel from the hub, thank God it was not turn 7 or the straight..with much vigor 
and stupidity several of the guys forged on to reattach studs and lugnuts.. we 
were sidelined for several hours but we did get the TR6 back on the track the 
last hour to catch the checked flag!
Later in the afternoon the awards ceremony came around and all the usual 
trophies were passed out. It came to the final trophy for the event, one that 
personified the true spirit of crap can racing in the Chump Series and with 
large eruption of cheers from the team and the crowd, team Foghat was awarded 
the great honor of the receiving the award. I hollered and even shed a tear, it 
was one of the greatest moments in my Triumph career. 

Point is, it's okay to take a few steps back every once in a while, if it makes 
you happy and keeps the true things in life relevant, like racing Triumphs!

Bobby Whitehead

---

From: Bob Kramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 12:27:31 -0500

Well done Fog's, and looking good doing it!  I suspect that upgraded front
hubs and half inch studs are on the short list? We broke a stud at MSR  same
hub.

Do the Falkens still have tread?

Bob Kramer
Sent from my iPhone

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Robert MacKenzie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 12:35:44 -0500

Winning "The Spirit of Chump" was a great achievement but we could not have
accomplished it without the true team effort that got us there.   Thanks
have to go out to all the drivers but special mention to  Betina & Dave
Foreman for putting it all together. 

The car ran perfectly on Saturday.  Never dropped any oil, overheated or as
much as mis-fired.  We never opened the hood.  When we did it was only down
a quart and a half on oil.

The handing was very predictable; it just did not want to turn or stop.  I
spun twice as most of the others did.

Sunday it was another car on the new Toyos.   We could go much faster into
and through the turns; and this was out downfall as it turns out.

When I got into the car (driver #3) we realized the battery had gone dead
and it would not crank.  After a push-start I did a slow lap and the car
seemed fine.
[https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MLpz2GAkKWk]
When I got out 45 min later I noticed that a front left wheel nut was
missing. Closer inspection showed that the stud had sheared off flush at the
hub.  After a quick discussion we let Bobby go "to see what would happen".
Two laps later the wheel fell off.
That was my call and it was the wrong one.  Again: Bobby I am sorry.

After our epic failure we had an epic fix and made the last hour of the race
to a standing ovation from the other teams.  It was great.

On that note: does anybody have a part number for 1/2 diameter, long style
wheel studs for the TR6? 

Oh and Bobby...it is pronounced My-Atta.....

Robert MacKenzie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Bobby Whitehead
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2013 7:21 AM
To: FoT Triumph
Subject: [Fot] Triumphs are still relevant, even today

With the dawn of the new age and the alignment of the new world order taking
shape, occasionally on must take a few steps back to be right with the
world. 
This past weekend is one such event when the Chump Series came to the well
used Texas World Speedway in College Station Texas. Six fearless champions
came to show to the world, once again, that the Triumph marque was still
relevant and worthy. Team FOGHAT (five old guys have a Triumph) ... (yes we
can't count
either) proudly campaigned a true crap can car.. in theory there are
supposed to be $500 cars that enter the event... now I don't know about you
but I've looked far and wide for a $500 Miata (or Myyaatah according to our
Canadian driver) and I've never found one,,, much less a BMW or a SHO.. but
our car I happen to know was a former Lemons car owned by Bob Kramer that
was a $200 car.. 1970 TR6 bone stock and not worthy of much..but it was
complete.
We campaigned all day Saturday from start to checker flag EIGHT hours in 95
degree heat. A big thanks to the CoolShirt company indeed. We had tires that
were very predictable, they would not hold a corner at all. That night the
tires were switched out for sticky tires and we started Sunday with much
more grip. 
Yours truly was piloting the TR6 when all that traction separated the front
wheel from the hub, thank God it was not turn 7 or the straight..with much
vigor and stupidity several of the guys forged on to reattach studs and
lugnuts.. we were sidelined for several hours but we did get the TR6 back on
the track the last hour to catch the checked flag!
Later in the afternoon the awards ceremony came around and all the usual
trophies were passed out. It came to the final trophy for the event, one
that personified the true spirit of crap can racing in the Chump Series and
with large eruption of cheers from the team and the crowd, team Foghat was
awarded the great honor of the receiving the award. I hollered and even shed
a tear, it was one of the greatest moments in my Triumph career. 

Point is, it's okay to take a few steps back every once in a while, if it
makes you happy and keeps the true things in life relevant, like racing
Triumphs!

Bobby Whitehead

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Kramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 12:58:54 -0500

Since the holes will have to be drilled to take the bigger studs the PN won't
matter. Drill to whatever knurl size is recommended. I know I said 1/2", but
Moroso 7/16" are just fine. I think we put through bolts in the hubs from the
backside to support the hub flange already, if not it needs to be done.

Bob Kramer
Sent from my iPhone

---

From: Bud R <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 12:38:25 -0600

My TR6 studs are 7/16" not 1/2".

Moroso 461601 is the number on my receipt for 7/16" - 20 wheel studs.  
They are 2 7/8" long. I used them on my Spit hub and the hub had to be  
drilled just a bit to meet the required hole dimensions but you may  
not need to do that on a TR6 hub. And you'll probably need open ended  
lug nuts for these studs, which some tech inspectors like to see anyhow.

See:

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=25107

Bud Rolofson

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

On Jun 24, 2013, at 11:35 AM, Robert MacKenzie wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Robert Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 04:38:10 -0700 (PDT)

Well done FOGHATS

________________________________
 From: Bobby Whitehead <[email-masked]>
To: FoT Triumph <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2013 7:20 AM
Subject: [Fot] Triumphs are still relevant, even today

Bobby Whitehead