Subject: Re: [Fot] Sway bar

From: Joe Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 07:50:14 -0500

There goes those pesky variables again.

It seems that most of the TR3/TR4 vintage racers are set up in such a way that
having a rear sway bar is not a good idea.

Perhaps someone can come up with a new formula that includes a rear sway bar
that makes us handle better and faster.

Chris' set up includes lower spring rates in the front. We have run the MGB GT
springs the front since 1993, but not afraid to change. Those are about 500
lbs.

No wrong answers in this thread.  Ultimately the answer lies in lots of
testing and changing all of the variables.    Not an option for many of us.

We did hard mount the rear shackles with a bronze bushing kit and that is a
clear improvement over rubber bushings for both race and street cars.

Joe A
Sent from my iPad

On May 31, 2013, at 9:15 PM, "Stutzmans" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> A bar on the rear of a TR3 usually causes the inside rear tire to lift on
tight turns.
> If you have a stock diff or a Quaife you may well spin.
> Bruce
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John Hasty" <[email-masked]>
> To: "Triumph 'Friends of Triumph" <[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "MadMarx" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 16:03:00 +0200

Since two years I'm running the MGB GT springs too and they work fine.
Not too stiff. Not to forget I run 4.5 degree of camber.

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im
Auftrag von Joe Alexander
Gesendet: Samstag, 1. Juni 2013 14:50
An: Stutzmans
Cc: Triumph 'Friends of Triumph
Betreff: Re: [Fot] Sway bar

It seems that most of the TR3/TR4 vintage racers are set up in such a way
that having a rear sway bar is not a good idea.

Chris' set up includes lower spring rates in the front. We have run the MGB
GT springs the front since 1993, but not afraid to change. Those are about
500 lbs.

Joe A
Sent from my iPad

tight turns.

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: sherry robyn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 15:14:23 -0700 (PDT)

With my TR6 on a sweeping turn, if I'm going fast enough that the car should
be 
sliding (where any more would cause it to come around aka spinout), it
will 
invariably start a sort of hopping along sideways.  These are very short
hops 
almost like a very severe vibration.  When this starts, it is not easy
to break 
out of it so it is a big time waster.

Does anyone have any idea
exactly what this hopping is, what causes it, or what 
fixes it?

Thanks for
any thoughts on this.  Jim
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Kramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 17:19:38 -0500

I would suspect that if you are running stock axles they are in a bind, not
sliding in as the suspension compresses.

Bob Kramer
Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 2, 2013, at 5:14 PM, sherry robyn <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Christopher Bock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 18:39:47 -0400

Maybe put a camera on the suspension and see what is happening? It is just an
idea because I have no idea what is happening

Chris

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Duncan Charlton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 21:23:22 -0500

Sounds like it's the rear you're talking about.  Bushings?  Tire pressures
need adjustment?  Shocks worn out?

Duncan
(Morgan Plus 4 -- I'm a solid axle guy)

> any thoughts on this.  Jim
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "RACER BUD" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 19:36:23 -0700

Perhaps your differential is slipping?
RB

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Duncan Charlton
Sent: Sunday, June 02, 2013 7:23 PM
To: sherry robyn
Cc: Triumph 'Friends of Triumph
Subject: Re: [Fot] What causes the hopping?

Duncan

On Jun 2, 2013, at 5:14 PM, sherry robyn wrote:

> will invariably start a sort of hopping along sideways.  These are 
> very short hops almost like a very severe vibration.  When this 
> starts, it is not easy to break out of it so it is a big time waster.
>
> exactly what this hopping is, what causes it, or what fixes it?
>
> Thanks for

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 22:54:01 -0600

> out of it so it is a big time waster.
I'll also go for the binding splines on the axles, often reported on both
street and racing IRS Triumphs.

mjb.

---

From: Don Marshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 08:02:44 -0400

You didn't say what tires you're using.  I experienced this some years ago
when I put some high performance street radials on the TR4A while we were
waiting on Hoosier to bring out the new Speedsters.  A race tire expert at
BFG told me it was the tread alternately gripping and then letting loose
that caused the hopping sensation.  It went away when I changed to the
Speedsters.  Don

sherry robyn wrote:
>> be sliding (where any more would cause it to come around aka spinout), it
>> will invariably start a sort of hopping along sideways.  These are very
>> short
>> hops almost like a very severe vibration.  When this starts, it is not
>> easy
>> to break out of it so it is a big time waster.
>>
>> _____

---

From: James Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 10:01:35 -0600

For my first two seasons I used the original half shafts I never experienced
spline lock. They were always well lubed.
I now have CV axles. The problem described could be a few different issues at
play all at once. I wouldn't rule out spline lock as a contributor.
The absence of a rear sway bar may be
part of it. I use a 3/4" bar on the rear.
A properly set up IRS car should not lift
The inside rear wheel.
Shock dampening is another.
Check your splines for lubrication and give the back end a couple of bounces
By hand and see how fast it rebounds.
There is a document on line somewhere called Smithees bounce test that
explains a lot about compression & rebound dampening.
Jim g
Sent from my iPhone

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]