Subject: [Fot] [VRG NewsGroup] Trailer tire info

From: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 08:59:15 -0400

I've been told that on a dual axle trailer, once a tire fails on one side, the
second is likely to go- either due to the sudden added load at speed, or
pieces of the adjacent tire beating on it as it disintegrates.
 I've had the same experience with tires lasting 4-5 years and then all
failing within a narrow time span - if they don't pick up a nail first.
Trailer tires seem to be magnets for punctures.
I now carry two spares at all times, and a plug kit.

I like the idea of going up a load range or two to keep them underloaded!
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jim Norlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 10:34:51 -0700

We lost the right rear trailer tire on the way to the Kastner Cup race 
at Laguna Seca.  It was near Stockton on a really bumpy concrete section 
of I5.  A passing driver started waving frantically at me as he passed - 
I never felt or heard a thing.  It was pouring down rain and to top it 
off, the windshield wiper motor conked out as I was driving down the 
freeway off ramp.  Put on my spare and then found a replacement wheel 
and tire to carry with me as a spare.  I replaced all four of the 
remaining tires the next race weekend.  I had my race tire dealer bring 
them to the track which was very convenient.

On 5/22/2013 5:59 AM, Scott Janzen wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Bill Babcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 11:41:43 -0700

One thing that makes trailer tires particularly prone to punctures is that
your truck drive wheels stand up nails. If your tire stands up nails often
enough your trailer will find one that's standing just as it runs over it.
It's the same reason you get nails in your back tires and not in your front.
The cure is the same as we used to do ot motorcycles--put a stiff flap in
front of the tires to knock the nails back down. On bikes it changed flats
from common to never.

On May 22, 2013, at 10:34 AM, Jim Norlin <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> We lost the right rear trailer tire on the way to the Kastner Cup race at
Laguna Seca.  It was near Stockton on a really bumpy concrete section of I5.
A passing driver started waving frantically at me as he passed - I never felt
or heard a thing.  It was pouring down rain and to top it off, the windshield
wiper motor conked out as I was driving down the freeway off ramp.  Put on my
spare and then found a replacement wheel and tire to carry with me as a spare.
I replaced all four of the remaining tires the next race weekend.  I had my
race tire dealer bring them to the track which was very convenient.
>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Tim Murphy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 18:06:57 -0500

Ryan lost a tire when he was using the trailer (24 foot enclosed) to haul
some surplus equipment, shelves, workbenches etc.  The tire pretty much just
disintegrated and he noticed it right away as the pieces were bouncing off
the trailer making quite a racket.  Fortunately he was only a couple of
miles from the shop.  We carry 12" square by 2" thick pieces of wood on the
trailer and we were able to easily drive the tire that was left up onto a
wood ramp to take off the old wheel and put on the spare.  That was always
our plan if we had a flat and it worked good.  We then replaced all 4 tires
with ones with a  load rating of "E", I think they are 10 ply.  The old ones
were "D" load rated.  The old tires were 6 years old without that many miles
on them.

Tim & Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Jim Norlin
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:35 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] [VRG NewsGroup] Trailer tire info

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]