Subject: Re: [Fot] Brake Fluid

From: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 10:49:57 -0400

The Pegasus catalog is a handy reference because they offer about ten
different fluids and their wet and dry boiling points.  The "wet" point is the
one to compare.
If your brakes don't run really hot, the Motul 660 is a good value.
In the GT6, with 13" wheels, and a car that weighs almost as much as yours,
the brakes get hot.  I boiled the fluid once sitting in the pits during a
mandatory enduro stop on a hot day.  I now run Castrol SRF, but there's a
reason the bottle is gold colored!
However, have never boiled the fluid again.

On May 21, 2013, at 10:30 AM, Mike Moore wrote:

What's the fluid of choice for you guys?

Thanks

Mike

Michael T. Moore, CPA

2007 West 32nd Street

Erie, PA 16508

Phone: 814-868-4831  ext 103

Fax:        814-864-7383
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 11:11:21 -0400

We use  SRF.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 21, 2013, at 10:49 AM, Scott Janzen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 10:27:53 -0500

Castrol SRF for me too.

Tony Drews

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 15:31:43 +0000

Castrol 
>>>>Sent via Wireless<<<<
David Foreman

-----Original Message-----
From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 11:11:21 
To: Scott Janzen<[email-masked]>
Cc: FOT<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Brake Fluid

We use  SRF.

Sent from my iPhone

---

From: Duncan Charlton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 11:46:08 -0500

Any brand of DOT 5.1 that I can find (no, that's not silicone fluid in case
anyone's wondering).

Duncan
1952 Morgan Plus 4 (4-wheel drum brakes)
Red #6

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Kramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 10:52:13 -0500

I use ATE Super Blue. They also make an Amber version which is compatible and
is supposed to allow you to have 100 certainty when you flush out old fluid.
I'm still on the blue and I like it but the Castrol SRF out specs it. Like I
do with VR1 racing oil and GL4 gear oil, I like to do fluid changes often and
therefore I stay away from higher priced synthetics. ATE is a good fluid for
flushers like me!

Bob Kramer
Sent from my iPhone

On May 21, 2013, at 10:31 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Sender: [email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Barr, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 19:07:05 +0000

Castrol LMA.

Scott B.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Mike Moore
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:31 AM
To: 'FOT'
Subject: [Fot] Brake Fluid

Thanks

Mike

Michael T. Moore, CPA

2007 West 32nd Street

Erie, PA 16508

Fax:        814-864-7383

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Bobby Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 19:47:09 -0700 (PDT)

I'm using Motol...   Bobby Whitehead

________________________________
From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
To: John Hasty <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]; Scott Janzen 
<[email-masked]>
Cc: FOT <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue, May 21, 2013 10:32:30 AM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Brake Fluid

Castrol 
David Foreman

-----Original Message-----
From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 11:11:21 
To: Scott Janzen<[email-masked]>
Cc: FOT<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Brake Fluid

We use  SRF.

Sent from my iPhone

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 06:45:41 -0400

I know this goes against what most are saying here, but I have never had an 
issue with Castrol LMA, the stuff you can buy off the shelf at most auto 
parts stores. With Vintage legal race tires, I don't think we can get enough 
heat into the brakes to boil Castrol LMA. Or at least I never have. .

I change the fluid completely every off season, and between race weekends 
bleed the system enough to change out the fluid at all four corners.

Henry
[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Kramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 06:08:35 -0500

I used to do the exact same procedure using Castrol LMA but the Lemons TR6
experience taught me that you can boil it after a few hours in the Texas
summer heat. The better fluids absorb less moisture and handle the heat
better. At $20 a pint instead of $7 the ATE is good insurance and I get to
skip a few blessings here and there.

Bob Kramer
Sent from my iPhone

On May 22, 2013, at 5:45 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> bleed the system enough to change out the fluid at all

---

From: "Bill Tobin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 08:59:40 -0400

I use the same, Henry. Never had a problem.
Mike: glad you had fun at SP; wish  I could have been there.
Bill
----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike Moore" <[email-masked]>; "'FOT'" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 6:45 AM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Brake Fluid

>parts stores. With Vintage legal race tires, I don't think we can get 
>enough heat into the brakes to boil Castrol LMA. Or at least I never have. 
>.
>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Tim Murphy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 17:58:08 -0500

We've been using NAPA DOT 4 Bake fluid for at least 5 years.  The cans used
to be marked "Low Moisture Absorbing" but are not marked as that any more.
The wet boiling point is "at least 311 degrees F".  We've never had any
problems and bleed and change the fluid before each season.

For what it's worth, the temperature of our front rotors coming off the
track after a session range between 300 deg F and 450 deg. F.  The large
variation is probably dependent on the track and how for our paddock area is
from the track exit.  At any given track and paddock area, the number is
pretty consistent.

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:46 AM
To: Mike Moore; 'FOT'
Subject: Re: [Fot] Brake Fluid

Henry
[email-masked]
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Mike Moore" <[email-masked]>
To: "'FOT'" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:30 AM
Subject: [Fot] Brake Fluid

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]