Subject: [Fot] Brake pads don't fit

From: davehogye <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 16:32:06 +0000 (UTC)

Hello friends, 
I've been driving my TR3 on the street with Hawk blue pads and have put over 500 miles on them now. They make a mess of dust all over and they've been squealing like crazy driving around town between stops sometimes. I ordered a set of performance street pads from Moss and the outside pad will not fit in the caliper. It's obvious that the rotor is not centered in the caliper, but the Hawk pads went in no problem, so I hadn't noticed the offset until trying to fit other pads. I got another set of street pads, thinking the Moss pads where fat and same problem. 
I have TR3 uprights, TR4A-TR6 caliper carriers and new, not remanufactured, calipers from BPNorthwest and new aluminum hubs. I called BPN thinking the caliper might be the problem and they have had no other calls on this. Perhaps the hub dimensions are off. I guess I'll have to shave the outside pads to fit them, but has anyone else come across this issue. I'll be measuring things and hopefully find out what's going on, but it looks like at least .050" will have to come off the pad. 

Thanks, 
Dave 
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: davehogye <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 19:03:22 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks everybody for the great response to my "problem", not too much. 
Thanks for the inside info with Carbotech, John. 
Yes Joe, but the caliper would have to move outward. Tony suggested shimming the carrier. Not a bad idea. I'd like to get the thing centered up. 
The path of least resistance would be to shave the pads. Thanks Bill, for suggesting the respirator. It's nice to know someone cares. Maybe I'll just move my drill press outside. It's a beautiful breezy day here in Santa Cruz and I won't get my shop all dusty. I'll wear a respirator and hold my breath too. 
This group is my favorite by far, racers rule, 
Dave 

----- Original Message -----
From: "john hasty" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Tony Drews" <[email-masked]>, "davehogye" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2013 11:06:56 AM 
Subject: RE: [Fot] Brake pads don't fit 

We use Carbotech in my TR3A race car as well. Be sure and tell Mike 
(704-481-8554) they are for your TR3 so they won't make them too thick as 
used in some of the NASCAR applications. My part # is CTGD500-AX6. He has 
a record under my name as to the correct thickness..... 

John H. Hasty 
Attorney At Law 
Guthrie, Davis, Henderson & Staton, P.L.L.C. 
719 East Boulevard 
Charlotte, North Carolina 28203-5113 
Tele: (704) 372-5600 
Fax: (704) 372-4601 
E-mail: [email-masked] 
www.gdhs.com 

PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message (and any attachments) is 
intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that 
is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL, and/or may contain ATTORNEY WORK PRODUCT. 
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any 
dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have 
received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message 
and its attachments and notify us immediately. Thank you. 

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: In order to comply with certain IRS regulations 
regarding tax advice, we inform you that, unless expressly stated otherwise, 
any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) 
is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for purposes of 
(i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, 
marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter 
addressed herein. 
-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
Behalf Of Tony Drews 
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:38 PM 
To: davehogye; [email-masked] 
Subject: Re: [Fot] Brake pads don't fit 

It's not uncommon to have to shim the caliper to center it up. For racing, 
I recommend Carbotech, AX6 compound (www.ctbrakes.com ). We didn't like the 
Hawke Blue's much - needed warmup or they locked easily, were hard on the 
rotors and left little bits of molten rotor stuck in the paint of the wheel. 

Cheers, Tony 

At 11:32 AM 5/23/2013, davehogye wrote: 
>Hello friends, 
>I've been driving my TR3 on the street with Hawk blue pads and have put 
>over 500 miles on them now. They make a mess of dust all over and 
>they've been squealing like crazy driving around town between stops 
>sometimes. I ordered a set of performance street pads from Moss and the 
>outside pad will not fit in the caliper. It's obvious that the rotor is 
>not centered in the caliper, but the Hawk pads went in no problem, so I 
>hadn't noticed the offset until trying to fit other pads. I got another 
>set of street pads, thinking the Moss pads where fat and same problem. 
>I have TR3 uprights, TR4A-TR6 caliper carriers and new, not 
>remanufactured, calipers from BPNorthwest and new aluminum hubs. I 
>called BPN thinking the caliper might be the problem and they have had 
>no other calls on this. Perhaps the hub dimensions are off. I guess 
>I'll have to shave the outside pads to fit them, but has anyone else 
>come across this issue. I'll be measuring things and hopefully find out 
>what's going on, but it looks like at least .050" 
>will have to come off the pad. 
> 
> 
>Thanks, 
>Dave 
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html 
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums 
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked] 

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked] 
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]