Subject: Re: [Fot] trans fluif

From: "Steve Yott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 18:29:29 -0500

Staylube GL4 and many of the other 90 weight gear oils work just fine in our
gearboxes.  The one main reason that I always recommend Redline MT90 is that
in testing of oils this particular product and also their MTL product
produced far less foaming.  I use a plexi cover on the gearbox during
break-in and testing of all the gearbox rebuilds that I perform.  Some of
the oil products produced scary amounts of foam when warmed up and running
at full speed.  Keep in mind that 90 gear oil is the same viscosity as 30
weight engine oil hence the recommendation over time of using engine oil.
At the cost of rebuilding a gearbox as with an engine I feel that the costs
of the best quality oils are the best value.

As far as replacing overdrive cone clutches I replace most but not all
clutches during rebuilds.  I find on many clutch surfaces that they have
been burned and glazed from either poor quality or dirty oil and also from
not having enough engagement pressure to work with the amount of torque
being produced by the engine.  Most of these clutches are over 40 years old
and are not that expensive to replace.  For race style overdrives I use
clutches with thicker linings and machine these in thickness to the
particular overdrive to ensure total disengagement but also keep them very
close so that a minimum amount of movement is required for engagement.  This
results in the fastest possible engagement, critical to speed!

Steve Yott 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Larry Young
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2013 5:46 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] trans fluif

I agree.  I don't use anything exotic, just use Staylube GL4.  It's
available locally and avoids the "yellow metal scare" associated with GL5.

I believe Quantum usually replaces the brake linings.  I don't normally find
that necessary and have not seen a spec for when it should be done.  I am
aware of a couple of quantum rebuilds that did not want to release from
overdrive unless you smacked the housing with a hammer.  
Redline oil seems to help until they get broken in. Ed Barnard is the guy
with the experience on this.  Maybe he will weigh in.
Larry

On 5/13/2013 11:07 AM, Randall wrote:
>> See the second article, from June 2005.
>>
>> http://www.quantumechanics.com/qm-htm/topic1.htm
> Then consider how absurd it is to claim that Triumph delivered cars 
> with oil that would damage them instantly.  90 weight GL4 was the 
> factory fill from about 1960 to the end of the TR6 run.
>
> -- Randall
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive