Subject: Re: [Fot] [VRG NewsGroup] Trailer tire info

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 09:50:19 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 05/22/2013 7:59:27 AM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> I've been told that on a dual axle trailer, once a tire fails on one 
> side, the
> second is likely to go- either due to the sudden added load at speed, or
> pieces of the adjacent tire beating on it as it disintegrates.
> I've had the same experience with tires lasting 4-5 years and then all
> failing within a narrow time span - if they don't pick up a nail first.
> Trailer tires seem to be magnets for punctures.
> I now carry two spares at all times, and a plug kit.
> 
> I like the idea of going up a load range or two to keep them underloaded!
> 

All good points based on my experience.  One time I lost a trailer wheel 
towing through Plymouth, Wisconsin on the way to Road America.  I must have 
traveled a good mile and one half with only one wheel on the outside.  Some 
'good soul' saw me loose it, chased it, and then chased me to return it.  You 
can't buy that kind of roadside help.  It either comes for nothing, or you 
don't get it.  I replaced both tires on that side of the trailer, and since 
the stud holes were hogged out, I had to replace the wheel too.  Then last 
year, my wife and I had a blowout in the mountains coming back from the Mitty. 
 We're getting a little long in the tooth for changing tires on a loaded 
trailer, especially in the mountains with little or no pull off area.  
Fortunately it was on the inside, I was able to ease it to an area that had minimal 
adjacent room to pull off.  The rig was off the road, somewhat level, but 
we were working from a pretty steep incline.  The biggest problem was my 
aluminum jack had difficulty lifting the loaded trailer high enough to get the 
tire off the road.  It took a jack stand, and taking several new bites, but 
we finally got it changed.  We then got off at the next exit where we were 
able to replace both tires on that side.  Trailer tires is not a good place to 
try to 'save money'.  Buy good ones, over rated for the job.

Bob Wismer uses a single axle trailer, has had some blowout adventures, and 
now buys new trailer tires every 4 years regardless of tread depth or 
appearance.

Bill Dentinger
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive