Subject: Re: [Fot] [VRG NewsGroup] Trailer tire info

From: "Spitfire Racing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 10:02:03 -0400

After traveling to races for some 27 years and having more "tire adventures"
than I ever wanted and hearing of a few motorhome episodes others had where
tires failed and tore up the coach itself, I took the advice of a good
friend Mack McCormick and installed a tire monitoring system. It was pretty
inexpensive; wireless and simple to install and program. The peace of mind
is great and I no longer am wondering if a tire is going bad when a weird
road surface causes strange noises. The system monitors temperatures and
pressures and will also alarm if there's a rapid air loss, giving the driver
an advance notice. I have no financial connection with these folks. There
are other systems also out there. It is not expensive. 

http://www.tsttruck.com/Home_Page.html

Russ Moore
Spitfire #49

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:50 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] [VRG NewsGroup] Trailer tire info

In a message dated 05/22/2013 7:59:27 AM Central Daylight Time,
[email-masked] writes:

> I've been told that on a dual axle trailer, once a tire fails on one 
> side, the
> second is likely to go- either due to the sudden added load at speed, or
> pieces of the adjacent tire beating on it as it disintegrates.
> I've had the same experience with tires lasting 4-5 years and then all
> failing within a narrow time span - if they don't pick up a nail first.
> Trailer tires seem to be magnets for punctures.
> I now carry two spares at all times, and a plug kit.
> 
> I like the idea of going up a load range or two to keep them underloaded!
> 

All good points based on my experience.  One time I lost a trailer wheel 
towing through Plymouth, Wisconsin on the way to Road America.  I must have 
traveled a good mile and one half with only one wheel on the outside.  Some 
'good soul' saw me loose it, chased it, and then chased me to return it.
You 
can't buy that kind of roadside help.  It either comes for nothing, or you 
don't get it.  I replaced both tires on that side of the trailer, and since 
the stud holes were hogged out, I had to replace the wheel too.  Then last 
year, my wife and I had a blowout in the mountains coming back from the
Mitty. 
 We're getting a little long in the tooth for changing tires on a loaded 
trailer, especially in the mountains with little or no pull off area.  
Fortunately it was on the inside, I was able to ease it to an area that had
minimal 
adjacent room to pull off.  The rig was off the road, somewhat level, but 
we were working from a pretty steep incline.  The biggest problem was my 
aluminum jack had difficulty lifting the loaded trailer high enough to get
the 
tire off the road.  It took a jack stand, and taking several new bites, but 
we finally got it changed.  We then got off at the next exit where we were 
able to replace both tires on that side.  Trailer tires is not a good place
to 
try to 'save money'.  Buy good ones, over rated for the job.

Bob Wismer uses a single axle trailer, has had some blowout adventures, and 
now buys new trailer tires every 4 years regardless of tread depth or 
appearance.

Bill Dentinger
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bob Kramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 12:55:48 -0500

Don't forget that truck tire shops offer road service. I learned this a couple
of years ago, the hard way.

I too have moved to the 4 year method after losing a tire on the 28 ft, 2 car,
10K rig. After swapping a spare I took it to a truck tire shop and had them
replace the blown out tire and headed off toward the track. I stopped for
lunch only to catch z second "perfectly good" tire separating treads. I called
the truck tire company and they set me up with road service and I had the
other three replaced.

Bob Kramer
Sent from my iPhone

On May 22, 2013, at 9:02 AM, "Spitfire Racing" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> [email-masked] w