Subject: [Fot] Stalling left turns

From: Shawn Frank <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 12:02:22 -0700 (PDT)

I have yet to get out to an autocross event here in Iowa, due to snow and
schedules, but have been able to get my 71 Spitfire out on the street. For the
first drive of the season, I thought I would drive it like I stole it for a
few minutes. While tearing the side tread off my cheap shop roller tires, I
took a left turn and the whole thing stalled out, regaining idle once the back
end stopped turning. It did this a few times at the end of the season last
year, so the seasonal rest is not the culprit. I have tried to replicate it
with abrupt right turns, but it does just fine. It does it about every time
turning left. It seems to do it once it is warmed up. It is still carb,
points, mechanical fuel pump, everything stock but rebuilt. Any ideas on what
may be the problem? I can go around corners at normal speed and there is no
indications of a sputter or stall. Her name is Gertrude, and she runs smooth
and true until she wants to get tail happy turning
 left, but like I said regains power once settled down. Help if possible!
Thank you in advance!!!
 
Shawn Frank
Continued Legacy
Drive Away Cancer Iowa
515-339-4228
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 19:30:54 +0000 (UTC)

If your running SU's then its definetly the floats cutting off the fuel supply
as the g-force of the turn

swings the floats and shuts the float valve.

Ty Thompson fixed it with what I recall were MG float bowl adapters B that you
could orient front/rear instead of left/right.

jim g

----- Original Message -----

From: "Chuck WATSON" <[email-masked]>
To: "FOT List" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2013 1:23:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Stalling left turns

Also, if you are running Strombergs you might want to check your float
mechanisms to make sure full motion is in place to completely fill the bowls.

Thanks,

Chuck Watson

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 12:09:31 -0700
> Subject: Re: [Fot] Stalling left turns
>
> Sounds like a fuel tank issue. If you have the fuel pickup in the side of
> the tank rather than the bottom or rear, it could indeed be starving for
> fuel when the direction of the turn is throwing the fuel away from the
> outlet.
>
> Joe
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Shawn Frank
> Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:02 PM
> To: Friends of Triumph
> Subject: [Fot] Stalling left turns
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 19:30:56 +0000 (UTC)

jim g

----- Original Message -----

Thanks,

Chuck Watson