Subject: Re: [Fot] Brake pads don't fit

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]> yville.ca.mail.comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 11:37:39 -0500

It's not uncommon to have to shim the caliper to center it up.  For 
racing, I recommend Carbotech, AX6 compound (www.ctbrakes.com ).  We 
didn't like the Hawke Blue's much - needed warmup or they locked 
easily, were hard on the rotors and left little bits of molten rotor 
stuck in the paint of the wheel.

Cheers, Tony

At 11:32 AM 5/23/2013, davehogye wrote:
>Hello friends,
>I've been driving my TR3 on the street with Hawk blue pads and have 
>put over 500 miles on them now. They make a mess of dust all over 
>and they've been squealing like crazy driving around town between 
>stops sometimes. I ordered a set of performance street pads from 
>Moss and the outside pad will not fit in the caliper. It's obvious 
>that the rotor is not centered in the caliper, but the Hawk pads 
>went in no problem, so I hadn't noticed the offset until trying to 
>fit other pads. I got another set of street pads, thinking the Moss 
>pads where fat and same problem.
>I have TR3 uprights, TR4A-TR6 caliper carriers and new, not 
>remanufactured, calipers from BPNorthwest and new aluminum hubs. I 
>called BPN thinking the caliper might be the problem and they have 
>had no other calls on this. Perhaps the hub dimensions are off. I 
>guess I'll have to shave the outside pads to fit them, but has 
>anyone else come across this issue. I'll be measuring things and 
>hopefully find out what's going on, but it looks like at least .050" 
>will have to come off the pad.
>
>
>Thanks,
>Dave
>_______________________________________________
>[email-masked]
>
>http://www.fot-racing.com
>
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "MadMarx" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 18:48:54 +0200

I run EBC yellow stuff.
They always fit well. But they are not aggressive pads. They do a gentle
job, especially on the wet.

Chris

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im
Auftrag von davehogye
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 23. Mai 2013 18:32
An: [email-masked]
Betreff: [Fot] Brake pads don't fit

Hello friends,
I've been driving my TR3 on the street with Hawk blue pads and have put over
500 miles on them now. They make a mess of dust all over and they've been
squealing like crazy driving around town between stops sometimes. I ordered
a set of performance street pads from Moss and the outside pad will not fit
in the caliper. It's obvious that the rotor is not centered in the caliper,
but the Hawk pads went in no problem, so I hadn't noticed the offset until
trying to fit other pads. I got another set of street pads, thinking the
Moss pads where fat and same problem.
I have TR3 uprights, TR4A-TR6 caliper carriers and new, not remanufactured,
calipers from BPNorthwest and new aluminum hubs. I called BPN thinking the
caliper might be the problem and they have had no other calls on this.
Perhaps the hub dimensions are off. I guess I'll have to shave the outside
pads to fit them, but has anyone else come across this issue. I'll be
measuring things and hopefully find out what's going on, but it looks like
at least .050" will have to come off the pad.

Thanks,
Dave

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Bill Babcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 10:31:33 -0700

Sure, it's a common problem with aftermarket calipers. You can shim the
calipers to center them, or shave the pads. Easiest way to shave pads it to
put a flat metal plate on a drill press and chuck a cup grinding wheel in the
drill. Slide the pad around under the cup to remove layers. wear a respirator.

Mr. Kastner told me about this many years ago as a way to eliminate taper from
a worn or glazed disk. Works great.

500 miles on them now. They make a mess of dust all over and they've been
squealing like crazy driving around town between stops sometimes. I ordered a
set of performance street pads from Moss and the outside pad will not fit in
the caliper. It's obvious that the rotor is not centered in the caliper, but
the Hawk pads went in no problem, so I hadn't noticed the offset until trying
to fit other pads. I got another set of street pads, thinking the Moss pads
where fat and same problem.
calipers from BPNorthwest and new aluminum hubs. I called BPN thinking the
caliper might be the problem and they have had no other calls on this. Perhaps
the hub dimensions are off. I guess I'll have to shave the outside pads to fit
them, but has anyone else come across this issue. I'll be measuring things and
hopefully find out what's going on, but it looks like at least .050" will have
to come off the pad.
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "john hasty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 14:06:56 -0400

We use Carbotech in my TR3A race car as well.  Be sure and tell Mike
(704-481-8554) they are for your TR3 so they won't make them too thick as
used in some of the NASCAR applications.  My part # is CTGD500-AX6.  He has
a record under my name as to the correct thickness.....

John H. Hasty
Attorney At Law
Guthrie, Davis, Henderson & Staton, P.L.L.C.
719 East Boulevard
Charlotte, North Carolina 28203-5113
Tele: (704) 372-5600
Fax: (704) 372-4601
E-mail: [email-masked]
www.gdhs.com
 
PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message (and any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that
is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL, and/or may contain ATTORNEY WORK PRODUCT.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message
and its attachments and notify us immediately.  Thank you.
 
IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE:  In order to comply with certain IRS regulations
regarding tax advice, we inform you that, unless expressly stated otherwise,
any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments)
is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for purposes of
(i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting,
marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter
addressed herein.
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Tony Drews
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:38 PM
To: davehogye; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] Brake pads don't fit

It's not uncommon to have to shim the caliper to center it up.  For racing,
I recommend Carbotech, AX6 compound (www.ctbrakes.com ).  We didn't like the
Hawke Blue's much - needed warmup or they locked easily, were hard on the
rotors and left little bits of molten rotor stuck in the paint of the wheel.

Cheers, Tony

At 11:32 AM 5/23/2013, davehogye wrote:
>Hello friends,
>I've been driving my TR3 on the street with Hawk blue pads and have put 
>over 500 miles on them now. They make a mess of dust all over and 
>they've been squealing like crazy driving around town between stops 
>sometimes. I ordered a set of performance street pads from Moss and the 
>outside pad will not fit in the caliper. It's obvious that the rotor is 
>not centered in the caliper, but the Hawk pads went in no problem, so I 
>hadn't noticed the offset until trying to fit other pads. I got another 
>set of street pads, thinking the Moss pads where fat and same problem.
>called BPN thinking the caliper might be the problem and they have had 
>no other calls on this. Perhaps the hub dimensions are off. I guess 
>I'll have to shave the outside pads to fit them, but has anyone else 
>come across this issue. I'll be measuring things and hopefully find out 
>what's going on, but it looks like at least .050"

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Bill Tobin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 18:23:10 -0400

Bill, I use a surface grinder with a magnetic chuck to true mine. However if 
you don't happen to have a surface grinder...........
That drill press trick works well.
Cheers, Bill
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Bill Babcock" <[email-masked]>
To: "davehogye" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Brake pads don't fit

>> over
>> remanufactured,
> Perhaps
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]