Subject: Re: [Fot] What do YOU think?

From: "Tim Murphy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 20:38:37 -0500

I think the rear carb is feeding all 4 cylinders and the front carb isn't
getting any gas and acting like a big vacuum leak.

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Mark J Bradakis
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 8:05 PM
To: FOT
Subject: [Fot] What do YOU think?

I posted this on the Spridgets list.  Not Triumph related, but the 
principles involved
are not marque specific.

mjb.

You may have seen my post on Facebook about the Midget with the loose 
carbs.
Fixed that, still having trouble.

So Ricky is Mike's full time mechanic, I just get called in once in a 
while for odds
and ends.   Ricky went to tech school, learned a lot, great worker, 
smart kid.  I've
been working on LBCs longer than he's been alive.  We had a minor 
disagreement
today.

So this rough running Midget with the 1275, dual SUs.  Put your palm 
over mouth
of the front carb, the idle speeds up and smooths out.  Put your palm 
over the rear
carb, engine stumbles and dies.

I won't offer who said what about that indication, what do YOU think?
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Terry Stetler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 09:56:06 -0400

Old age and treachery beat youth and inexperience every time.

Terry Stetler
  ----- Original Message -----
  Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 9:04 PM
  Subject: [Fot] What do YOU think?

  mjb.

  http://www.fot-racing.com<http://www.fot-racing.com/>

  Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
  Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<http://www.team.net/archive>
  Forums: http://www.team.net/forums<http://www.team.net/forums>
  Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]<http://autox.team.
net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Christopher Bock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 19:56:29 -0400

Look into the throat and see what the gap between the dash pot(?) and the base
is while running between both carbs. They should be close to even.  If they
are then check to see if there is any fuel coming to the jet in the front
carb. To me it seems that the front carb isn't working.

I had fixed a friends dual carb where after idling a while he couldn't get any
throttle at all.  He had to shut the car off, restart, then quickly throttle
the car.  Basically he had the idle speed too low and the dash pots(?) were
bouncing up and down so bad that giving throttle did nothing.   Quick fix at
the start line was to stick my finger in the throat and stop the bouncing.

Chris

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Duncan Charlton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 20:58:35 -0500

No oil in the dashpots of your friend's non-idling car, I assume.  I would
think that would damp out the oscillations adequately.  I know some run with
the dashpots dry and/or the pistons removed from the damper rods but I imagine
those individuals are not after a slow idle speed.

Duncan
1952 Morgan Plus 4
Red #6

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Christopher Bock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 23:48:55 -0400

I did put oil in the pots but it still did the same thing.  He had the idle
set at 1200 so it wouldn't idle high. I finally set it at 1600 as a balance of
low idle and working.  It was a racing engine that wanted a 1800 idle to start
with.

Chris

---

From: Duncan Charlton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 07:15:00 -0500

I discovered another good reason for a high idle speed when my accelerator
cable broke -- I was able to get back to the pits a lot faster!

Duncan

wrote:
>>> I had fixed a friends dual carb where after idling a while he couldn't
get
>> any