Subject: [Fot] VSCDA @ Gingerman Raceway...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 09:59:26 -0400 (EDT)

Amici...

Bob Wismer tells me that VSCDA's annual opening event (and School) at 
Gingerman Raceway this past week end was a big success.  He said some thirty 
students, and over one hundred twenty racers showed up.  That's a full house at 
Gingerman, and a good sign for the state of affairs.  All very good.

Gingerman is the only VSCDA event that I have never attended.  Its 
traditional first week end in May dates conflict with the Kentucky Derby.  While I 
don't build my own engines, I do spend a half a year handicapping all of the 
prep races and getting ready for the Derby and the other Triple Crown races. 
 My handicapping suggested VERRAZANO would win.  He came in 15th.  I bet on 
GOLDENCENTS, a front runner who appeared to be a better bet on the sloppy 
track.  He virtually quit (18th) after finding out he could not keep up with 
the torrid pace of early race leader PALACE MALICE.  ORB, a horse I picked 
to run third won the Derby and looked great.

Maybe I'll give building engines a try.

Bill (Damdinger)
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Barr, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 14:34:41 +0000

It really was a great weekend.  The weather even cooperated for once!  Very
windy at times, though - this was the first time I ever remember having a
cross-wind hit me in the face behind my full stock windscreen.

There were about a million Spridgets there, and some really FAST ones.  I was
fortunate to run mid-pack in Group 2.  For better or worse, I was the only
Spitfire there (other than a cornerworker's lovely Spit4), and Tim/Ryan Murphy
and Bob Wismer were the only TR4s.  (I didn't miss anyone, did I?)

Tim's bionic knee was giving him trouble, but Ryan jumped in the car and did
the team proud.  Very nice drive, Ryan!

Had a great time chasing John Hagen's TVR around.  Even managed to get by him
once or twice, but couldn't make it stick.

Scott B.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2013 8:59 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Fot] VSCDA @ Gingerman Raceway...

Amici...

Bob Wismer tells me that VSCDA's annual opening event (and School) at
Gingerman Raceway this past week end was a big success.  He said some thirty
students, and over one hundred twenty racers showed up.  That's a full house
at Gingerman, and a good sign for the state of affairs.  All very good.

Gingerman is the only VSCDA event that I have never attended.  Its traditional
first week end in May dates conflict with the Kentucky Derby.  While I don't
build my own engines, I do spend a half a year handicapping all of the prep
races and getting ready for the Derby and the other Triple Crown races.
 My handicapping suggested VERRAZANO would win.  He came in 15th.  I bet on
GOLDENCENTS, a front runner who appeared to be a better bet on the sloppy
track.  He virtually quit (18th) after finding out he could not keep up with
the torrid pace of early race leader PALACE MALICE.  ORB, a horse I picked to
run third won the Derby and looked great.

Bill (Damdinger)

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 20:54:50 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks to Scott Barr for coming over and saying hi--had fun with him and 
the Green TR-4.  VSCDA does a great job it instructors -one on one for 
over 30 guys! Our buddy Steve Nichols got his ticket--can't wipe the 
smile off!--John Hagen

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Barr, Scott wrote:

> traditional
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Tim Murphy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 21:33:38 -0500

Like Scott said, it was a great weekend other than my knee problem.  I had
done a little test run on our Town roads and thought the knee would be okay.
At first at the track I thought maybe the new brake pads just weren't
grabbing very well but soon realized that I just didn't have enough strength
in my "new" knee.  Like has been said many times before, there is nothing
like being on the track and running with other cars except actually doing
it.  But VSCDA was very accommodating and Ryan did make the team proud!!
 We had modified the suspension to give the appropriate camber for the
Hoosier radials and it made a big improvement in the handling.  That plus
the increase in power from my recent rebuild gave me the opportunity to
experience power oversteer coming out of turn three and taking a ride
through the grass!  We adjusted tire pressures to try to give a bit less
oversteer now that the fronts were gripping better and it occurred to me
that out pressures seemed a bit high.  I called Tony Drews and he confirmed
that our pressures were too high and gave us a recommendation for the
conditions we were experiencing.  We made that adjustment and on Sunday warm
up Ryan reported that we were back to our mostly neutral handling with the
rear of the car starting to drift out and helping to rotate rather than
tending to understeer to the outside of the track.  Thanks again to Tony for
helping a fellow racer!!!

Tim & Ryan
#317 TR4 BRG

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2013 7:55 PM
To: Barr, Scott
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] VSCDA @ Gingerman Raceway...

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]