Subject: Re: [Fot] Clutch Hydraulics Revisited

From: "MadMarx" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 20:52:12 +0200

You guys doing really complicated stuff.
I use stock stuff and it is doing well.

Chris

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im
Auftrag von Joe Boruch
Gesendet: Montag, 27. Mai 2013 05:17
An: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Betreff: Re: [Fot] Clutch Hydraulics Revisited

Bob, how are you getting the car on the trailer?  If you are driving it on,
you may be wearing out the clutch?  Doing anything different with going on
the trailer now compared to before?

Do you have an AN hose all the way from the MC to the slave cylinder?   May
be
worth changing it, in case it has a kink or debris restricting it?  Joe(B)

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Robert M. Lang" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Fot] Clutch Hydraulics Revisited
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 08:03:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I scanned the FOT archives quickly and maybe I missed seeing anything
definitive on the subject. My "issue" is that since I switched from the
stock TR6 clutch M/C to a Tilton unit, I've been having problems with clutch
disk / flywheel glazing (and subsequent slippage). Now, the problem could be
that I'm leaving my clutch foot resting on the clutch pedal, but I installed
a dead pedal a while back - perhaps before the latest clutch installation -
and in my videos, you can def hear what is either wheel spin or clutch
slippage when I floor it.

The Tilton clutch M/C that was installed has AN3 fittings and the stock
setup is AN4. Is there any chance that the smaller hose / pipe can restrict
the hydraulic motion in a way that can effect rapid clutch release?

I'm next to positive that there's nothing stupid going on here, like a
residual pressure valve or something like that. I'm 99% sure I can push the
slave's pushrod and cause fluid to back-flow into the M/C reservior.

This is really annoying because the original clutch setup (a 69 M/C with a
used B&B PP and all "stock" stuff) lasted for 6 or 7 seasons and the new
setup(s) only seem to last 1/2 season or so. That's like 50 autocross
launches, max.

BTW, the dead pedal is so awesome that I forget to push the clutch in when I
start spinning. This has led to some pretty impressive 180's!!! Gotta work
on that aspect of my driving, I guess.

Regards,
rml
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

____________________________________________________________
Transformation of America?
Stocks soar--but some wealthy citizens are preparing for huge changes
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/51a2d06d58ee506c41bdst02duc
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Bill Tobin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 17:10:40 -0400

Me too, Chris. Stock MC, slave,and braided hose. -4 I think. And a Magic 
clutch from TRF.
KISS.
Only time I had a problem was when a rebuilt slave cyl. failed on the grid. 
Got it running on the starter and did the practice session without the 
clutch.
To all Vets out there: thank you. Lots of flags in the cemetaries.
Bill
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "MadMarx" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, May 27, 2013 2:52 PM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Clutch Hydraulics Revisited

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "MadMarx" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 23:54:14 +0200

I didn't like to do a bad critic. I just was astounded about the technical
things you implant in your cars.

At my car the idea counts to keep it stock like so that I can get parts to
repair in the paddock.
If you show up at the paddock with something custom made and nobody has a
spare you can go home - end of the weekend.

My car can race with almost all stock parts.

In one case we parted out a TR3 from a fan to get a cylinder head and a diff
for a fellow racer.
No chance with custom parts.

To tell you what I use:

Stock master
Stock slave
Stock link
GT6 clutch bearing
Tilton pressure plate
And 6 paddle clutch plate

So the only thing I have to bring is a pressure plate spare and a clutch
plate spare.
All other parts are available at the paddock.

Cheers
Chris

---

From: "Bill Tobin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 20:40:58 -0400

Like I said Chris, KISS
(Keep it simple, son)
Cheers, Bill----- Original Message ----- 
From: "MadMarx" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, May 27, 2013 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Clutch Hydraulics Revisited

---

From: "Robert M. Lang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 12:40:49 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

Regarding loading the car - I don't think that's an issue, although it 
might be. I have given thought to setting up a winch in the trailer.. I 
also need to consider this aspect of getting onto the lift in the garage. 
That's a really big "hill". Maybe I need a winch there too.

But, it could also be the driver riding the clutch - I'm not sure.

As regards to keeping things simple, I agree whole-heartedly. The switch 
in hydraulics came about as a result of a roll cage installation which 
included a change to the hydraulics for both the brakes and the clutch. My 
initial plan was to not touch any of that stuff, because it worked fine.

Lesson learned.

I'm also much more clear when I ask this fabricator to do anything to the 
car as he tends to go in with "all guns blazing".

I'm still trying to figure out how to get him to fix the front brace on 
the passenger side that is about 1/16" from the air horns on the Webers. 
But that's another can of worms.

;-)

To the question about what size fittings are in use, the current setup is 
all AN-3. I know that the stock stuff is AN-4. I'm ordering a new clutch 
M/C and some plumbing just for the heck of it. I may get another clutch 
disk and PP, just to have on hand. But to be honest, this is sort of 
frustrating in that I can't test any changes I make until I get to the 
track...

regards,
rml