Subject: Re: [Fot] wheel & tyre sizes TR5/TR6

From: "J.C. Hassall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 19:33:05 -0400

On 4/10/2013 10:55 PM, Enquiries Road & Track wrote:
> i would like some comments on suitable wheel tyre sizes for a road driven
> TR with near stock ride height.
> .
> As best i can tell from some google searches, a common "modern" fitment
> seems to be 16 x7" rim with zero offset and about 205/55/16 tyre
>
> can anyone with wheels/tyres close to this please comment. i particularly
> want to know if they protrude past the fender at all.. Our
> regs prohibit any wheel tyre combo that protrudes past the factory body
> work when viewed from above.
>
> every rim i can find above 6.5", hits on the balljoint and i would prefer
> not to use spacers. I have yet to find a 16 x 6.5"ally wheel that looks
> appropriate " for the TR
>
> thanks
> Terry
> Australia
> _______________________________________________
>    
Terry, if you have comparative measurements between the TR4 fenders 
("wings") and the TR6, this info should help.  I have 16x7 VTO wheels 
with +12mm offset, 205/60/16 tires on my TR4 and I can tell you that my 
tires projected outside the fender lip by 1 1/4".  At the time of those 
measurements I had 0 camber.  I've since gone to negative camber and 
will put 195s on the car but haven't gotten there yet so can't report 
results.  BTW, +12mm offset is *wrong* for the TRs.  Well, unless you 
don't want to go to full lock.  I'd guess that 0 offset would probably work.

Are the Superlite folks still in business?  They're from your neck of 
the woods, and I should have kept my 15x6 Superlites instead of going 
this route.  Oh well, live and .... live.

jim

-- 
Jim Hassall
Blacksburg VA
'63 TR4 in autox preparation
99% finished, 90% to go
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: robert bownes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 19:52:00 -0400

Terry,

I use 205/60/15's on stock wheels on my car with no issues whatsoever. I
seem to recall having had some 215/55's at one point as well with no
issues.

Bob

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 10:55 PM, Enquiries Road & Track <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Tim Murphy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 17:54:09 -0500

I had to look in my notebooks to find some of the info, hence the delay.  On
my street TR5 I originally had European 185/HR15, fronts were Michelin XVS
and rears were Continental TS792.  I replaced them for 2 reasons, I didn't
know how old they were but thought probably 10 years and secondly, the spare
didn't fit in the trunk well!  Plus they just didn't look right on the car,
looked way too big due to their design (extra wide sidewall to provide curb
protection) and the size.  I replaced them with the Vredestein 175/70 HR 15,
which fit in the tire well in the trunk and they look right on the car.  The
wheels are Dunlop wires made in India under license, 5-1/2 K X 15 X 457C.  I
have no idea what the 457C is and I don't know what the offset is.  I could
pull the spare out and try and measure it but am not sure how to go about it
with the  splined hub.  Don't know if this is of any use to you, but that's
what delete keys are for:)

Tim Murphy

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Enquiries Road & Track
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:55 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Fot] wheel & tyre sizes TR5/TR6

thanks
Terry
Australia

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]