Subject: [Fot] The Mitty, ATLANTA

From: "Richard Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 18:39:29 -0400

FOTers,

The Mitty, last weekend, started with beautiful Wx and ended with the sky
emptying 2 inches of clear juice all over the event. Ole 196 was put in a
class w/ 2 Ginnettas and a Lotus Super 7. The downpour Sunday encouraged
most racers to head home early. This left the one-car class to #196 alone in
the deluge. So we took it! Obviously we have no pride but the experience was
extraordinary. Sheet drainage created3 hydroplaning opportunities; one right
on the uphill after turn 1, another at turn 4 and the third in front of the
tower. Visibility was mostly nil. Both water sheets were thrillers, kinda
like hitting oil slicks. But, unlike oil, the tires will catch again.

The car did, however, earn a legitimate 2nd place in the Enduro. What that
old car lacks in speed and grace, it still tries to compensate with steady
determination. In the eye of the fire breathing racer, this ain't very
glamorous. But for this old man, it works just fine.

We also picked up a 3rd place in the HSR International American Challenge.
Did you know that a GT-40 will pop your ears when it flies by at full song?

The only other big Triumph at the event was Randy Williams' refined TR-3. It
was suffering from  head gasket issues and didn't finish the weekend. What a
truly exquisite machine!

The Spitfires were out  in force and running very fast. Leigh and Quinn
Derby and Jake Kimbrough put on a fine show.

The drive home in the rain with the top down on Interstate 85 was, by
several magnitudes, more challenging than any of the races.

Richard Taylor, TR-4 #196
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive