Subject: [Fot] Tire temp question

From: sherry robyn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 16:17:31 -0700 (PDT)

In checking tire temps in order to determine best pressure, it looks like the
middle temp can be a bit deceiving.  After tires were up to temp, I lowered
the 
pressure 4 degrees and the center to the outsides changed very little. 
This is 
autocrossing.  Would it be because the car (TR6) is light?  Jim
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: sherry robyn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 10:31:55 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Bob.  I am running new Toyo Proxes RR.  I don't look for significant
temps until at least 3 or 4 autocross runs on a hot day.  So far I haven't
really had the hot days and maybe these tires are a little stiffer.  Last year
I 
ran a nearly new set of Hoosier R6 and seemed to be able to read the center
pressures to determine ultimate pressure.  I ended up with 32 front and 28
rear.  Jim

________________________________
From: Robert M. Lang
<[email-masked]>
To: sherry robyn <[email-masked]>
Sent: Mon,
April 22, 2013 5:33:05 AM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Tire temp question

Hi,

You can
only get "good" tire temps on a skid pad. If you try to get temps just 
coming
off an autocross course, you won't get accurate results. About the only 
tire
pressure adjustment you can make from autocross is the base pressure that 
you
need to keep the tire from rolling over.

What I've done is to run the skidpad
and set the base pressure. Then up it a 
little and measure for even temps.
Note: the outside wheels do the most work so 
focus on those. Then switch
directions and get the other side.

>From there, when you run autocrosses, use
the tire pressure to balance the car.

Also, ask around. I get good info from
other folks and then build on that.

What tires are you running?

regards,
rml
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former
NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                 
          |  Cell: 339-927-4489
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Bill Babcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 07:47:01 -1000

Tire temperatures that you get from a hot day or autocross runs are useless
for setting up suspension or determiniming appropriate tire pressure. Even
tire temps on a track are relatively inaccurate unless you take a series of
tight turns at good speed and stop immediately to read them without an
intervening straight.

On Apr 22, 2013, at 7:31 AM, sherry robyn <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Christian Marx <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 23:23:28 -0700

I take tire temperatures but these values are pretty useless. I never got
any close to the recommended temperature. I set pressure to the best stick
over the distance.

Chris