Subject: Re: [Fot] Sadly a Sign of the times-

From: Vince G <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 23:25:21 -0400

OMG

Sent from my iPhone

On 2013-03-27, at 11:03 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> I went to my local auto zone today.  Behind the counter a clerk perhaps
28y/o asked me what he could get for me.  I asked "Where do you have your
timing lights?".  He looked at me then calmly went to the computer and asked
"What year and model?".
>
> I should have known better.  I was there a couple of months ago. At that
time I asked for rod bearings for a small block chevy. it was a different
clerk similarly aged.  He asked "What year and model?".  I said "1972 chevelle
350".  He responds "front bearings?"
> "No- all of them" I say. "Both sides?" He queries. Then I get this "a ha"
moment when I seriously believed we are doing an Abbott and Costello "who's on
first".  So I tell him " I don't think you understand" - "Engine rod bearings
standard size".  So he looks at me and says. "What's that?".  I look at my son
and then back at the clerk and say "I made a mistake I thought this was an
auto store".  We walked out.
>
> I am going to write to their corporate office.
>
> M
> Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Spitfire Racing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 04:35:39 -0400

I can remember when there were some 9 auto parts stores in this area and
everyone of them had people that knew their stuff and many were motorheads
who contributed expertise and experiences over the counter. On top of this,
they had everything imaginable even if it was on a back shelf under a layer
of dust. Oh, and might I add that everything was Made in USA back then and
it always fit. Now there are three "chain" stores that have 35 different
smelling dash ornaments, wax and googahs and any part is from some third
world country and two days away. There's a 50/50 chance it will fit and
function.  
Welcome to the ugly new world. It's not confined to auto parts
stores.........
Me, I long for the way it was back 40-50 years ago. On many levels!

Russ Moore

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:03 PM
To: FOT
Subject: [Fot] Sadly a Sign of the times-

I should have known better.  I was there a couple of months ago. At that
time I asked for rod bearings for a small block chevy. it was a different
clerk similarly aged.  He asked "What year and model?".  I said "1972
chevelle 350".  He responds "front bearings?"
"No- all of them" I say. "Both sides?" He queries. Then I get this "a ha"
moment when I seriously believed we are doing an Abbott and Costello "who's
on first".  So I tell him " I don't think you understand" - "Engine rod
bearings standard size".  So he looks at me and says. "What's that?".  I
look at my son and then back at the clerk and say "I made a mistake I
thought this was an auto store".  We walked out. 

M

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: marty sukey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 08:23:14 -0400

I would venture to guess that corporate wouldn't know a main bearing from a
babushka either.  My local NAPA appears to be the only ones left that speak
the language.

Marty

---

From: Duncan Charlton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:01:28 -0500

Napas in our area have disappeared.  The last independent auto parts store in
Austin sold out about 15 years ago. Curiously, the best service I've had in
recent years is from a 20-something young lady at O'Reilly's in Bastrop, TX.
I would try to get her to serve me since she would take the time to research,
making phone calls to the central catalog library if necessary, until she had
exhausted the possibilities.  She said her dad made sure she knew how to find
what auto parts customers were looking for.  Too bad she's moved on, so now
all I get is the blank stare and a flat reply of "we don't have that" with no
attempt to dig deeper.  But -- occasionally I will insist that they keep
looking, ignoring what the computer says about their inventory, and calling in
to the catalog library if necessary to see what crosses over or what can be
ordered.

But one of the real gems for non-engine related stuff in Austin is Breed & Co.
(Ace) hardware.  I can go in there and say, "I'm trying to fabricate something
that will perform this function; it has to be made of X and be about so big."
These guys (about half of them over retirement age, so probably just working
there to stay busy) love a challenge and will often find me something I can
adapt to work.

Duncan
(Texas)
1952 Morgan Plus 4
#6 red

---

From: "Robert MacKenzie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:04:11 -0500

My recent AutoZone experience:
@ parts counter
Me: Do you have Champion RN9YC spark plugs in stock?
AutoZone Guy: How many do you need?
Me:  I need four but I'll buy eight if you have them.
AZG: What car are they for?
Me: I know you don't have the car in your database.
AZG: That's the only way I can look them up?
Me: You can't search by part number? 
AZG: No.
Me: Really? .well ok, it's a 1962 Triumph Spitfire
AZG: Well there's your problem, we don't carry motorcycle parts.
Me: It's a car.
>Click click click.
AZG: No, we don't have that car listed in out parts database but let me
check the stock shelves.
>At this point AutoZone Guy spends about 5 minutes going through every bin
containing Champion spark-plugs looking for RN9YCs.
AZG: We don't seem to have them on the shelf; what car was that again?
Me: 1962 Triumph Spitfire
AZG: we have a '63 Herald with an 1100 engine.
Me: That's it.  Same engine.  What plug does it list?
AZG:  Champion RN9YC
Me: Do you have it in stock?
AZG: No.

Robert MacKenzie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:03 PM
To: FOT
Subject: [Fot] Sadly a Sign of the times-

M

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Greg Petrolati <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 15:23:43 +0000

This is nothing new for AutoZone... I ran into the same problem back in 
the
early "oughts" with my TR4. I wanted Bosch platinum spark plugs for 
the
Greenman. I had crossed referenced them previously with a Saab plug, which I
previously happened across by accident in the auto department of Walmart. The
kid at the
 computer told me "there was no such spark plug as there wasn't
anything
 like a 1962 Triumph TR4 in his computer"... so it didn't exist... I
asked to see his manager then took the both of them out to the parking 
lot to
show them the "nonexistent" car. When the manager started getting 
pissy I
walked away. I went to NAPA where there were car guys and not shoe salesmen on
staff.

Greg Petrolati   Lafayette, Oregon

That's not a leak... My car's just marking its territory...

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:04:11 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Fot] Sadly a Sign of the times-
>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 10:44:20 -0500

I was in my local O'Reilly's and had just the opposite 
experience.  Set an alternator on the counter and the dude says - Oh, 
I see you've converted it to one-wire.  Would you like a one-wire 
version?  Didn't have to jump through the "what car did it come from" 
dance at all.  And, I ordered the spark plugs by number (NGK 
BP7HS).  So not EVERYONE has lost the ability to properly service us.

Tony

---

From: Robert Deanes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:42:29 -0400

I fill the same way I guess guys..when I stop at my local store now they
quit asking me what the part is for or drive......now they ask what the
part is suppose to go on....and they are still puzzled...so I bring my own
parts numbers now....that gets rid of the "bewildered look"....sometimes

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 8:23 AM, marty sukey <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
>
>
>

-- 
rob deanes
TR Racer

---

From: "john hasty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:42:23 -0400

The thing I most long for most 40 or 50 years ago is to be 37 again! 

John H. Hasty
Attorney At Law
Guthrie, Davis, Henderson & Staton, P.L.L.C.
719 East Boulevard
Charlotte, North Carolina 28203-5113
Tele: (704) 372-5600
Fax: (704) 372-4601
E-mail: [email-masked]
www.gdhs.com
 
PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message (and any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that
is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL, and/or may contain ATTORNEY WORK PRODUCT.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message
and its attachments and notify us immediately.  Thank you.
 
IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE:  In order to comply with certain IRS regulations
regarding tax advice, we inform you that, unless expressly stated otherwise,
any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments)
is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for purposes of
(i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting,
marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter
addressed herein.
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Spitfire Racing
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 4:36 AM
To: [email-masked]; 'FOT'
Subject: Re: [Fot] Sadly a Sign of the times-

Russ Moore

-----Original Message-----

M

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: James Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 08:07:00 -0600

I agree, NAPA are the only real parts stores left. I went to an auto zone and
asked for a set of plugs by name & type. The person at the counter needed the
make & model of the car. I told him it was a '98 corvette. He asked if it was
a v6 or v8. Had I been on my game that day I would have insisted it was a
flat12
And sat back to watch his head implode.
Jim g.

Sent from my iPhone

>> I am going to write to their corporate office.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Craig Wensley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 10:31:34 -0400

Damm...What do you guys want they only make 18.00 an hour and not allowed to
over 35 hours a week.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of marty sukey
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:23 AM
To: [email-masked]; FOT
Subject: Re: [Fot] Sadly a Sign of the times-

Marty

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 11:58:24 -0400 (EDT)

Sadly its not about servicing, supplying and knowledge sharing from the
current crop of " Auto Parts Stores ".  It's about the most PROFIT one can
gain from the product on the shelf (?).  Parts made in distant lands by people
promised a better way of life who could care less about what they are making.
Corporate heads making decisions of who is their supplier and really caring
less about any concerns the parts they are offering will fit, work or even
look like the part it is to replace.  Just as long as the profit margin is
large enough to secure their next bonus checks.  Quality is but a distant
memory.

As for the clerk behind the counter ... you get what you pay for, these people
are usually only making minimum wage.  This satisfy's the corporate heads as
labor rates are low thus keeping overhead costs down ... more profits.
Besides their belief is everything is on the computer and that info is all
that is needed for knowledge for their employees.  Thus you don't need to know
the difference between a rod bearing from a wheel bearing, or where they are
on a vehicle.  They are pressured to sell the cheap no name part to the
customer meaning the most profit for the corporation.

A few years ago I took an automotive technician course at one of those
schools.  When subjects like brakes and ignitions came up most of the
younglings in the class were unfamiliar with drum brakes or distributors.  And
totally baffled by points and condensers.  These topics were briefly reviewed
during the course.  So needless to say when I brought one of my Spitfires in
for study work in the lab several of my classmates were curious about the
distributor and its workings.  Good for some extra credits from my
instructor.

I have found that most of these parts places have web sites where I can look
up their part numbers for the part I am looking for.  I write this info down
and then go shopping.  If the clerk behind the counter wont use the numbers I
will then ask for the manager.  This gets me my parts and usually the clerk
gets a little education from his superior.

Finally, I always shop for the brand name part for critical items as its worth
the extra money for a quality part that fits so I only have to make the repair
once.  Unfortunately for our Triumphs the quality parts are becoming harder to
find as the parts made in China it seems are the only way our parts are being
reproduced.  I find it harder, these past several years, to locate any last
bits of NOS parts left.  Though blogs and some web sites prove invaluable for
info on what and where to locate these better quality parts for our Triumphs.

Keep searching,
Bob T
'63 Spitfire  street
'64 Spitfire GT  autocrosser

PS   these stores could eliminate about 40 % of the crap on their shelves and
still serve their customers as they do now.  Air Freshener dodads ?  Why ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Spitfire Racing <[email-masked]>
To: gasket.works <[email-masked]>; 'FOT' <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thu, Mar 28, 2013 4:37 am
Subject: Re: [Fot] Sadly a Sign of the times-

I can remember when there were some 9 auto parts stores in this area and
veryone of them had people that knew their stuff and many were motorheads
ho contributed expertise and experiences over the counter. On top of this,
hey had everything imaginable even if it was on a back shelf under a layer
f dust. Oh, and might I add that everything was Made in USA back then and
t always fit. Now there are three "chain" stores that have 35 different
melling dash ornaments, wax and googahs and any part is from some third
orld country and two days away. There's a 50/50 chance it will fit and
unction.
elcome to the ugly new world. It's not confined to auto parts
tores.........
e, I long for the way it was back 40-50 years ago. On many levels!
Russ Moore
-----Original Message-----
rom: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
ehalf Of [email-masked]
ent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:03 PM
o: FOT
ubject: [Fot] Sadly a Sign of the times-
I went to my local auto zone today.  Behind the counter a clerk perhaps
8y/o asked me what he could get for me.  I asked "Where do you have your
iming lights?".  He looked at me then calmly went to the computer and asked
What year and model?".
I should have known better.  I was there a couple of months ago. At that
ime I asked for rod bearings for a small block chevy. it was a different
lerk similarly aged.  He asked "What year and model?".  I said "1972
hevelle 350".  He responds "front bearings?"
No- all of them" I say. "Both sides?" He queries. Then I get this "a ha"
oment when I seriously believed we are doing an Abbott and Costello "who's
n first".  So I tell him " I don't think you understand" - "Engine rod
earings standard size".  So he looks at me and says. "What's that?".  I
ook at my son and then back at the clerk and say "I made a mistake I
hought this was an auto store".  We walked out.
I am going to write to their corporate office.
M
ent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
______________________________________________
[email-masked]
http://www.fot-racing.com
rchive: http://www.team.net/archive
orums: http://www.team.net/forums
nsubscribe/Manage:
ttp://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
______________________________________________
[email-masked]
http://www.fot-racing.com
rchive: http://www.team.net/archive
orums: http://www.team.net/forums
nsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 11:20:20 -0600

On 3/28/2013 2:35 AM, Spitfire Racing wrote:
> of dust.

My favorite story along these lines was when I lived in MI in the `70s.  
There was an old, old auto parts store downtown that had been around 
since the days when the Model T was new.  A guy I knew did repairs at 
home, and one day, someone dropped off a `30s-era Chris Craft mahogany 
runabout and asked him to get the engine going. He looked it over and 
decided that the engine was toast--just a big pile of rust, inside and 
out.  But, he kept it in mind, thinking he might get lucky and find the 
parts for it he needed.

One day, he was at the aforementioned parts store, and happened to 
mention that he was looking for engine parts for a Chris Craft.  The son 
of the original owner, a fellow then in his 70s, overheard him and said, 
"follow me."  He went up a ladder to the second floor, and another 
ladder to the third floor, and in the back of building was a crated 
Hercules engine still in cosmoline.  They pulled back the tarp, wiped 
off the cosmo, and discovered that the crated engine's last serial 
number digit was four off from the one in the boat.

Cheers.

-- 

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Larry Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 18:39:51 -0500

Not even Napa.  I went in and asked for an generic exhaust hanger. After 
asking the make, model and year it was for, she said I don't think we 
carry those.  There are other Napa stores in the area that are better 
staffed.

I usually try and avoid the "make, model and year" question, but some 
times I just have to say customized 1914 Ford or whatever weird thing 
I'm working on at the time.  I have to admit though that sometimes you 
get someone that will take the time to match up what you want with what 
they have.
Larry

---

From: Bob Bownes - Seiri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 20:15:51 -0400

My favorite answer for the make model year question is 1958 Wartburg. :)

> Not even Napa.  I went in and asked for an generic exhaust hanger. After
asking the make, model and year it was for, she said I don't think we carry
those.  There are other Napa stores in the area that are better staffed.
>
> I usually try and avoid the "make, model and year" question, but some times
I just have to say customized 1914 Ford or whatever weird thing I'm working on
at the time.  I have to admit though that sometimes you get someone that will
take the time to match up what you want with what they have.
>> And sat back to watch his head implode.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Terry Stetler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 20:22:16 -0400 <[email-masked]>

I fooled my local Auto Value, who actually are pretty good they have been
around a long time, the other day by asking for an oil filter for
a 1997 Pontiac Firebird.   The counter guy said, "Wait, did you say 1997?"
Hehe.  I always am asking for some part for pre 1960 cars, or some obscure
foreign thing, you know, like Triumph parts, so I ambushed them with a modern
part.

Pretty funny.

Terry Stetler

---

From: "Rocky Entriken" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 00:16:22 -0500

What gets me is I ask for a part for my 1964 Spitfire, and according to 
their "book" the earliest model of a Spitfire was 1972.

Nowadays I just answer "It's a race car" and they quit looking for an easy 
catalogue match and now they have to find something that fits my purpose.

Most humorous was when I installed the Volkswagen radiator in the Spit, and 
the hose connections both were on the opposite side from the stock Spit rad. 
The top one was easy, just turned the thermostat housing to the other side. 
For the bottom I went in with measurements ("I need a hose X inches long 
with a 90 degree bend at the bottom end") and they just let me prowl through 
their hose inventory until I found one (a Ford unit) that would work after I 
cut unneeded sections off.

Fortunately, I guess, since local parts stores have nothing that goes on my 
car more specific than a nut and bolt, I do most of my parts shopping by 
mail-order. I have a drawer by my desk full of nothing but catalogues.

--Rocky Entriken

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Robert MacKenzie" <[email-masked]>
To: "'FOT'" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 9:04 AM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Sadly a Sign of the times-

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Bill Tobin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 07:49:43 -0400

I'm fortunate in that there are three very good parts stores in the nearby 
towns, all of which morphed from the original in Meadville in the late 60's.
They usually find me some obscure part for an old car or tractor. They let 
me prowl through the stock room and pick out what I need, sometimes blowing 
the dust off.
Very knowledgable and helpful, and support the local communities.
The "Big Box" stores use Wally World's model; stock the fast movers and max 
your profit.
Here's to Spring.
Bill
----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: "FOT" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:02 PM
Subject: [Fot] Sadly a Sign of the times-

>timing lights?".  He looked at me then calmly went to the computer and 
>asked "What year and model?".
>
> moment when I seriously believed we are doing an Abbott and Costello 
> "who's on first".  So I tell him " I don't think you understand" - "Engine 
> rod bearings standard size".  So he looks at me and says. "What's that?". 
> I look at my son and then back at the clerk and say "I made a mistake I 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "RACER BUD" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 17:21:03 -0700

I think it depends on who we deal with...My NAPA store makes a point of
'finding the part that will work, fit, etc'..they even mic stuff for me and
match it up that way.
RB

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Bob Bownes - Seiri
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 5:16 PM
To: Larry Young
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] Sadly a Sign of the times-

> times
I just have to say customized 1914 Ford or whatever weird thing I'm working
on at the time.  I have to admit though that sometimes you get someone that
will take the time to match up what you want with what they have.
>> I agree, NAPA are the only real parts stores left. I went to an auto 
>> zone
and
>> asked for a set of plugs by name & type. The person at the counter 
>> needed
the
>> make & model of the car. I told him it was a '98 corvette. He asked 
>> if it
was

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Home Consolidated <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 20:37:10 -0500

I say "1959 Triumph TR3a" and then start listing the modifications. About 10
minutes into the monologue and the clerk usually rolls his eyes and calls for
a manager :-)

Gano

Sent from my iPad

times
> I just have to say customized 1914 Ford or whatever weird thing I'm working
on
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]