Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 Engine Spare

From: "john hasty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 13:56:03 -0400

Mike:  My experience says you ought to have a spare if you plan any long
trips to race.  I went all the way to Mosport from Charlotte only to have
the motor pitch a rod in the 2nd practice session.  I now have a fully
prepared spare engine, but lucky for me havn't had to use it yet in over 1
1/2 yrs.   However, if cost is a problem, forget it. 

John H. Hasty
Attorney At Law
Guthrie, Davis, Henderson & Staton, P.L.L.C.
719 East Boulevard
Charlotte, North Carolina 28203-5113
Tele: (704) 372-5600
Fax: (704) 372-4601
E-mail: [email-masked]
www.gdhs.com
 
PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message (and any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that
is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL, and/or may contain ATTORNEY WORK PRODUCT.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message
and its attachments and notify us immediately.  Thank you.
 
IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE:  In order to comply with certain IRS regulations
regarding tax advice, we inform you that, unless expressly stated otherwise,
any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments)
is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for purposes of
(i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting,
marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter
addressed herein.
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Mike Moore
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 12:06 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Fot] TR4 Engine Spare

Getting ready to start my 1st race season with my TR4 I bought from Gary
Horstkorta in CA. He has a nice strong engine in it (10.5:1, Wiseco pistons,
carillo rods, hardened crank, TS "F" cam) 

Looking for some advice on keeping a spare engine. Is it must to finish a
season?

                Should I have one done for me?

                Should I have the head done and build block myself?

                How long would it take?

I have a complete spare (hasn't run in a long time)

Not looking for anything extreme, just a good strong unit.

I have a lot to learn about racing and don't plan on pushing car real hard.
I want to learn and get lots of track time this season.

MONEY IS AN ISSUE!!!

Thanks

Mike

Michael T. Moore, CPA

2007 West 32nd Street

Erie, PA 16508

Phone: 814-868-4831  ext 103

Fax:        814-864-7383
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Duncan Charlton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 13:34:56 -0500

Mike,

Your engine's spec sounds identical to mine except that I have a Babe Erson
300 cam (I didn't look at the Tilden Cams chart yet how that compares to
yours).  I keep the rpm below 6200 most of the time and there are probably ten
race weekends on the engine, with the only "failure" being that compression is
not what it once was.

That said, it's time for me to start getting my spare engine ready...

Duncan
Texas

1952 Morgan Plus 4 (TR4 engine)
#6 red

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:36:05 -0400 (EDT)

Mike,

There is an interesting corollary that Ibve come to believein
whole-heartedlyb&whatever spare you have with you will not be needed.  Back
in the day, other racers often commentedon the odd spares I brought with me to
the track.  ALL of those spares represented a problemthat had occurred during
my racing career. Amazingly, I canbt recall everhaving to utilize 99% of
those spares a second time although I helped many a TRracer with those
uncommon spares. The look on their faces when I pulled thepiece they needed
from the truck was worth the trouble! You will have manyissues yourself, and
you can start your own pile-o-spares.

With that in mind, no matter what level of experience youuse to build a spare
motor, you will always have bthe good motorb and the
bbackupbb&theybrenever the same, even with the same parts installed.
So, I would have someone do a head for youand build the best bottom end you
can. The time will come that you will have a tired/broken motor and anupcoming
race that you really want to attendb&time for that bother
motorbb&youbllbe glad you did.

Of course you should do the engine build yourself, thatbsthe best feeling,
going around the track on your own sweat and equity!

Sweatin in Nor Cal
Nick

Good luck with Gary's old car, it will be missed here in Nor Cal...one less TR
in the area.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Moore <[email-masked]>
To: fot <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wed, Mar 13, 2013 9:06 am
Subject: [Fot] TR4 Engine Spare

                How long would it take?

MONEY IS AN ISSUE!!!

Thanks

Mike

Michael T. Moore, CPA

2007 West 32nd Street

Erie, PA 16508

Fax:        814-864-7383