Subject: Re: [Fot] Fw: VINTAGE MACHINE SHOP

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 20:45:20 -0600

Very nice.

mjb.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Tim Murphy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 21:43:12 -0500

That's probably one of the last machine shops in the country that's run with
line shafts!  There was one in Fond du Lac (WI), a long narrow shop with a
single line shaft, around about 1963 or 1964.  I think it was gone by 1970.
Too bad, a neat place.  At the time it was the only place in town you could
get some decent hardware.

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of EDWARD BARNARD
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:16 PM
To: FOT
Subject: [Fot] Fw: VINTAGE MACHINE SHOP

Group: This was forwarded to me by a flying buddy. Not at all Triumph
related,
but well worth the watch. This was an episode of Texas Country Reporter, and
it shows that not everything has become modernized.
Enjoy
-Ed-

--- On Wed, 3/27/13, Jack L. Tyler <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Jack L. Tyler <[email-masked]>
Subject: VINTAGE MACHINE SHOP
To: "Jack L. Tyler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 8:30 AM

Hi Yball,
Just thought you might enjoy this.
Jack Tyler
B

Who needs CAD? A stick and some dirt work just fine. Take a few moments and
watch this. American Heartland.

B B
Real work, keep it B simple, get the job done with pride and quality.
B Remember, take the time in your life to stop and "have a Dr. Pepper (soda
pop) and B some peanuts".

B B
http://www.youtube.com/embed/BckZ4i1BzF0?feature=player_embedded
B
B B
B
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Bud R <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 21:56:25 -0600

I came across a similar place called the Quasdorf Wagon, Machine, and
Blacksmith Shop in a little town off I-35 called Wright, Iowa. I was
coming back from the Kahler wedding (better know as VTR2002 in
Redwing, Minnesota) and found this fascinating little shop. The
upstairs was a museum with things like an ancient movie projector run
with some Rube Goldberg carbon arc to provide light. Great place to
check out. It was not as operational as the Texas shop day to day but
the machines (belt driven from the basement) still all worked.

Bud Rolofson

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

On Mar 27, 2013, at 8:43 PM, Tim Murphy wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Jerry Barr <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 11:12:54 -0500

After high school I served a 4 year machinist apprenticeship at Allis Chalmers
in West Allis Wisconsin. I served in the heavy industry shops machining and
building large steam turbines, generators, rod and ball mills. I got to run
amazingly large machines such as 16' boring mills. I didn't get to run the 40'
boring mill but got to help running it. The bigger boring mills had basements
under them for access to the drive system,  we had a  7" boring bar with a
huge table 100 feet square come to mind. One job that was a lot of fun was
boring the main bearing bores and blade ring grooves on the high,
intermediate, and low pressure turbine housings. I would operate the machine
while the machinist was inside the housing setting the tool and could not get
out until the cut was done and the bar was disconnected. I got to run an
engine lathe that had a 12' faceplate and 100 foot long bed. We used it to
rough out the turbine main shaft before they were sent out for heat treating.
When it came back we would finish machine the shaft and cut in the blade ring
grooves. I got to operate other machines such as a 12' planer mill, 8' planer,
huge radial arm drill presses. What a wonderful experience! All this was done
before automation.

related,
> http://www.youtube.com/embed/BckZ4i1BzF0?feature=player_embedded
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]