Subject: [Fot] TR coolant pressure/flow

From: "Greg & Alison Blake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 21:08:02 -0600

FOT

Anyone out there every gauged coolant pressure on the TR block?  I'd love to
see the results.

I am going through the process of adding a surge (expansion) tank on my TR3
and I am starting to wonder if I am plumbing the return line in the correct
spot.  I have installed the tank in the battery box with a line entering the
top of the tank that originates at the heater port in the rear of the head.
For the return line, off the bottom of the expansion tank, I have added a
welded fitting in my top radiator hose between the thermostat housing and
the radiator to accept the return line.  I use a cross flow Chevy style
radiator so I have a metal radiator pipe between the thermostat housing and
the intake for the radiator.  I thought it would be better to introduce the
hot coolant from the expansion tank back into the radiator vs dumping
directly back into suction side of the water pump via the return heater
port.  My thinking was that I should not introduce hot coolant into the
suction side of the pump and re circulate it back thru the block.  The way I
have it plumbed (if it works), the hot coolant from the expansion tank will
first go thru the radiator then into the pump and back thru the block.  I am
guessing that downstream of the thermostat housing (I use a thermostat) the
pressure will be lower than at the back of the block.

My questions are:

Has anyone measured pressure between the thermostat housing and the
radiator?

Has anyone measured pressure at the back of the head heater port?

What is the difference?  

Am I going to get coolant to flow from my expansion tank back into the top
radiator hose or is the pressure higher in that top hose than the back of
the block?

Would it be better to plumb the return line into the return heater port?

Thanks,

Greg 
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 11:29:03 -0500 (EST)

Greg...

While Tony Drews provided some bench mark numbers for you, I can'l help but 
chime in with the importance of a good "bleed" technique for every time you 
drain and refill your system.  If you do not bleed properly, you will end 
up dealing with air pockets and bubbles.  Kas has told me that even when he 
had trusted assistants on his race teams...'filling the cooling system' was 
one thing he always did himself.  That's saying something, and is an 
indication of its importance with our TR engines.

Bill Dentinger

---

From: Charly <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 21:16:11 -0600

BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;
}Most persons around here racing TR's take the heater outlet from the
head and route it back to the water pump for increased flow through
the back of the head.  My self included on my TR6.

	Charly Mitchel

	TR6 #44
	On Fri 08/02/13 10:09 AM , "Bill Tobin" [email-masked]
sent:
 I agree, Bill.
 On my TR6 engine, where the the heater pipe comes out of the head at
the
 rear, I removed the pipe and installed a petcock for bleeding out
air.
 Easy to do and it seems to work.
 Of course, I don't have a heater in the car.
 Bill
 ----- Original Message -----
 From:
 To: ;
 Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 11:29 AM
 Subject: Re: [Fot] TR coolant pressure/flow
 > Greg...
 >
 > While Tony Drews provided some bench mark numbers for you, I can'l
help
 > but
 > chime in with the importance of a good "bleed" technique for every
time
 > you
 > up dealing with air pockets and bubbles.  Kas has told me that even
when
 > he
 > had trusted assistants on his race teams...'filling the cooling
system'
 > was
 > http://www.fot-racing.com [5]
 >
 > Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html [6]
 > Archive: http://www.team.net/archive [7]
 > Forums: http://www.team.net/forums [8]
 > Unsubscribe/Manage:
 > http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/ [9]
 _______________________________________________
 http://www.fot-racing.com [12]
 Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html [13]
 Archive: http://www.team.net/archive [14]
 Forums: http://www.team.net/forums [15]
 Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/ [16]

Links:
------
[5]
http://webmail.qwestoffice.net/parse.php?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fot-racing
.com
[6]
http://webmail.qwestoffice.net/parse.php?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.team.net%2
Fdonate.html
[7]
http://webmail.qwestoffice.net/parse.php?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.team.net%2
Farchive
[8]
http://webmail.qwestoffice.net/parse.php?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.team.net%2
Fforums
[9]
http://webmail.qwestoffice.net/parse.php?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fautox.team.net
%2Fmailman%2Foptions%2Ffot%2Fwilliam.tobin31%40verizon.net
[12]
http://webmail.qwestoffice.net/parse.php?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fot-racing
.com
[13]
http://webmail.qwestoffice.net/parse.php?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.team.net%2
Fdonate.html
[14]
http://webmail.qwestoffice.net/parse.php?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.team.net%2
Farchive
[15]
http://webmail.qwestoffice.net/parse.php?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.team.net%2
Fforums
[16]
http://webmail.qwestoffice.net/parse.php?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fautox.team.net
%2Fmailman%2Foptions%2Ffot%2Fcharly%40mitchelplumbing.com
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 09:29:39 -0500 (EST)

Amici...

All good advice, but of course...Kas covers this entire cooling system 
subject on pages 154 through 156 of his most recent 'TRIUMPH PREPARATION 
HANDBOOK'.  Any TRIUMPH aficionado who does not have that (and his other books) is 
missing the boat.

Bill Dentinger