Subject: Re: [Fot] Special strictly for the Tirumph History buffs...now the KCUP 2013

From: Joe Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 13:59:28 -0500 (EST)

I am not sure if I mentioned this before, but I have extended an invitation to
Simon, the editor of TRIUMPH WORLD, to join us at the Kastner Cup. He is
looking very closely at coming, in spite of a busy publishing schedule.

I am beginning to see an incredible assemblage of very interesting people in
attendance. (In addition to the FOT)

There are some details in planning that necessarily will come from VSCDA, that
is forthcoming. Most of that will be settled in March, and then there will be
a deluge of new information.  There are a lot of folks working on this and it
is coming together.

Joe Alexander
A. R. E.
645 1st Street
Jesup, Iowa 50648
319.464.4711  (cell)
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: BillDentin <[email-masked]>
To: fot <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wed, Feb 27, 2013 12:01 pm
Subject: [Fot] Special strictly for the Tirumph History buffs...

Amici...

I probably should have also mentioned the monthly one page Parting Shot
article in my recent email about the April/May issue of Triumph World.  It
deals with the early history of the Triumph name our cars carry.

While there is little historical documentation to suggest any formal
engineering trail from bicycles to motorcycles to sports cars, there
definitely
was a formal path the Triumph name itself followed to get on our cars.  But it
is not crystal clear.  It provides another item we can argue about.  You
know, like is your car really a TR3B.

What we do know is that in about 1884 a German named Siegfried Bettmann
came to England as a language translator.  Based in Coventry, to make ends
meet
he began selling high end bicycles under the name Triumph.  As a
translator, the name had been chosen because it had numerous meanings in
several

languages.  Early on he was not really building anything new, but rather
buying
bicycles manufactured by others, and using after market products to make them
fancy.  The Triumph Cycle Company, Ltd., was cashing in on the Victorian
bicycle boom.  Eventually with some funding from Dunlop, they did manufacture
their own bikes, all of which were fancy, catering to the wealthy, and
offering up grade options like 'soft tyres'.  Then, at the turn of the
twentieth

century, motorized bicycles were developed and the Triumph company was
quickly involved in building them, and also quite successful in competition
events.

Before and after WWII is were the history of the Triumph name gets foggy.
There is more than one story told.  We seem to know what happened, as well
as why it happened, but not exactly how.  There is evidence that Raleigh
bought out the bicycle arm of the company before the war.  At least a part of
the motorcycle arm went to Jack Sangster in Ariel during that same period, but
there is also evidence that Bettmann had a deal going with Coventry Cycles.
 The fact that all of these factories were then bombed out during WWII
(along with most of their records) is where the confusion comes up.  And thus
it

is not clear as to exactly what, why, and how the name Triumph evolved on
British bicycles, motorcycles and then sports cars.

But for sure, there are bicycles and motorcycles in our history, 40 and 16
years respectively, before there were any Triumph sports cars.

Bill Dentinger
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive